Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

^^^^^^
    Nothing surprising in any of those telegraph pieces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

tumblr_ms6u4xPx9p1rmkdggo1_400.gif

Thrashing?

Where's the bewbs Max....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

MagicIRL wrote: »
    The thrashing of Liverpool has made this thread too lovey-dovey. We need Nani back or something.
    2-1 is a thrashing now?

O..........k.

Too easy.

GIF-Remember-when-they-told-us-to-not-speak-to-strangers-on-the-Internet.gif

mewe wrote: »
    Maybe he was talking aggregate score and meant 5-1 ;)

Don't forget the the 3-1 victory against them in the final of the universally-desired Guinness International Champions Cup in the USA. 1999 and 2008 me hole, Guinness Champions 2014 is the one which will be remembered through the ages!

So anyway, that puts United-Liverpool on 8-2 aggregate over those 3 matches, and Rodgers firmly in LVG's back pocket. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

stankratz wrote: »

So anyway, that puts United-Liverpool on 8-2 aggregate over those 3 matches, and Rodgers firmly in LVG's back pocket. :D

Oh I would 8-2 be Liverpool fan now eh.

I will get my coat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Never forget

BuPd6EsIIAETieY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

astradave wrote: »
    One of my Favourite goals in recent times was as a result of this beauty, i don't think there was many players that could make the game look so easy

Best sig ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

I will get my coat

I'd to stop myself doing it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I will get my coat

See this is actually funny...the rest? Not so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I think it's pretty funny tbh.

After all the guff we got after last years abysmal season do you really not think we should be able to have a laugh at yer expense?

Ye did enough of it last year at our expense so I found just staying out of the LFC thread helped, rather than going in there making sly digs at posters in the thread and getting into a lather over every little thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

City are ****ed if the new PL regulations are implemented.

Edit: Chelsea's case not looking good either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

As regards the summer and players leaving, it all depends on CL football. We are down about 12 games compared to last season so our squad needs reinforcing by 4 or 5 players if we get back into Cl. Obviously sigings for the first 11 make the like of Valencia, young, blind/Shaw into squad players but apart from Falcao, Hernandez and Cleverley I wouldn't see any established players going apart from maybe Rafael, it doesn't make sense to get rid of any more.

Loan spells for Mcnair, Blackett, Adnan and Wilson would see our squad down to about 21 anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I do find myself agreeing with you a lot Homer - especially on the signings required.

On the loans, I read yesterday that van Gaal is considering letting Wilson go on loan for rest of the season (?) to let him get some game time. Badly needed for him. And I'd let Januzaj go too to get him 7 or 8 starts on the bounce.

Think the loan window closes tomorrow does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Falcao: I'll fight until the end at Manchester United

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/416125.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He said he had now overcome the knee injury he suffered last year and stressed that regular game time is the only thing he is lacking.

The only thing he is lacking is some pace.

The only thing he is lacking is some pace.

I'd say he's lacking a touch more than pace. Watching him play is fantastic... until he does a Welbeck and scuppers the ball at his feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Ah but it is to us. We don't really give a sh*t if you don't think it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Hey guys remember that time when there was only a point between United and Liverpool in the last third of the season and they were battling it out for 4th place and they played at Anfield and United won 1-2?

That was a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

The Arsenal match will now hopefully be cup final 3rd place play off game.

Things are looking up.

• Advertisement

As regards the summer and players leaving, it all depends on CL football. We are down about 12 games compared to last season so our squad needs reinforcing by 4 or 5 players if we get back into Cl. Obviously sigings for the first 11 make the like of Valencia, young, blind/Shaw into squad players but apart from Falcao, Hernandez and Cleverley I wouldn't see any established players going apart from maybe Rafael, it doesn't make sense to get rid of any more.

Loan spells for Mcnair, Blackett, Adnan and Wilson would see our squad down to about 21 anyway.

According to Premier league site we have 19 players registered including 7 HG players.

Falcao will leave for sure, Hernanedz and Nani comes back. Can't see Hernandez staying so again that's 19 players in the squad. Since we are short of 1 HG player we can still sign 5 players without even thinking about selling anyone to register all players.

Our U21 players are Januzaj, Blackett, McNair, Wilson, Pereira, Shaw. None of them have to be registered next season.

Hey guys remember that time when there was only a point between United and Liverpool in the last third of the season and they were battling it out for 4th place and they played at Anfield and United won 1-2?

That was a good time.

It was 2 points between the 2 teams before the game.

I remember Mata's goal though, beautiful goal.

That was a good time.

If anyone can't remember I'm sure they'll be a Liverpool DVD of their "almost accomplishments 14/15 season" released in the coming months.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    It was 2 points between the 2 teams before the game.

I remember Mata's goal though, beautiful goal.

Don't spoil my attempt to slightly rewrite history in order to make it even more sensational. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

said last week if we got 4 points from the spurs and Liverpool game it would be fantastic, didn't think we would beat Liverpool but I love when I am wrong, we destroyed them.

6 points, absolutely fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

MagicIRL wrote: »
    If anyone can't remember I'm sure they'll be a Liverpool DVD of their "almost accomplishments 14/15 season" released in the coming months.

you mean like this one?

Downing-DVD.jpg

• Advertisement

It will be a very interesting summer indeed.

Top 4 is all I'm thinking about at the moment though. While Sunday was a sweet victory it won't mean much if they overtake us and we finish outside Top 4. Make no mistake Liverpool along with Spurs and Southampton are well within range to nudge us off CL football next season.

A good win for those 3 and bad week for us and all of sudden they be all well back in contention again. What Sunday did is give us is the belief hopefully and a little bit of momentum now. But still few twists and turns yet.

I would of taken a draw before Sunday, but more I think about it the more we really did need to win it to create some sort of gap with the tougher run in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

bangkok wrote: »
    said last week if we got 4 points from the spurs and Liverpool game it would be fantastic, didn't think we would beat Liverpool but I love when I am wrong, we destroyed them.

6 points, absolutely fantastic

Ya I was thinking the same,happy to get four points as I thought Liverpool would really test the team and LVG's "philosophy"

Thankfully the team had other ideas and got the 6 points

To quote Ron Manager "marvellous isn't it"

Just hope the international break goes well now and no one comes back injured and continue where they left off
    and get the win over Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It will be a very interesting summer indeed.

Top 4 is all I'm thinking about at the moment though. While Sunday was a sweet victory it won't mean much if they overtake us and we finish outside Top 4. Make no mistake Liverpool along with Spurs and Southampton are well within range to nudge us off CL football next season.

A good win for those 3 and bad week for us and all of sudden they be all well back in contention again. What Sunday did is give us is the belief hopefully and a little bit of momentum now. But still few twists and turns yet.

I would of taken a draw before Sunday, but more I think about it the more we really did need to win it to create some sort of gap with the tougher run in.

That's the reason I want Arsenal win against Liverpool, that gives us some breathing space if we beat Villa. 8 points and a superior GD before playing against City and Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I know its not real but I admit I shed a tear

• Advertisement

Ya I was thinking the same,happy to get four points as I thought Liverpool would really test the team and LVG's "philosophy"

Thankfully the team had other ideas and got the 6 points

To quote Ron Manager "marvellous isn't it"

Just hope the international break goes well now and no one comes back injured and continue where they left off
    and get the win over Villa.

Odd how the 2 star men for Liverpool have been allowed time off due to knocks:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Just a quick warning from the mods.

There's a distinction between "banter" (and God, I hate that word) and outright trolling/baiting. And there's some posters who are coming dangerously closing to crossing that line.

I 100% understand there's a certain level of payback that is desired after last season, but at no stage will that be accepted as an excuse if people start breaking the charter. I know one or two people lost their heads a bit during the match, not just in the match thread and this, but during a mini-invasion of the Pool Superthread, and said people were carded/banned because they couldn't find the distinction mentioned above.

Playful banter is one thing. Implying you're fishing for reactions, or just outright trolling, is another completely. (I'll be PMing one or two people shortly to make sure they know who they are with regards those closest to stepping over the line).

The reality, of course, is that the vast majority can keep it to playful fun-poking, which is grand. Funny pictures and videos, grand (The Falcao video is funny). For the overwhealming majority, things go on as normal. I'm sure there'll be one or two who cry foul and who always seem to complain that they can't see the line, while the vast majority of posters can and do.

I just don't want to have to dish out stupid cards and bans because people think it's ok to break the charter in a bid to get "revenge". I want to have this post be a gentle nudge back towards the civil "banter" and not the charter-breaking "banter" that some users are dragging it towards :)

=============

On another note, there's a few people who've also posted comments that are not only off topic but backseat moderation, specifically with regards commenting on the closure of the Pool/United thread. Again, I think the vast majority understand completely why that was done, and from a mod point of view, this was one of the quietest Pool/United games in a while in terms of reported posts, cards, etc. We deliberately kept that topic to a short life, and we'd like to think that it was an idea which worked very well in terms of keeping peace.

If you've got a problem with that, if you think there's a conspiracy against United fans (:rolleyes:), contact a mod. Don't bring it up in this thread cause it is backseat moderation.

And on a similar vein, DO NOT reply to this warning in thread. If you've got problems, PM a mod, but this is not the start of a public discussion.

From bookies point of view Di Maria is 1\6 to be still at the club come September,
    Falcao is 4\1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

From bookies point of view Di Maria is 1\6 to be still at the club come September,
    Falcao is 4\1.

Quite clear cut. I'd agree with that.

Pity.

Wonder what the odds are on Nani and Hernandez being there next year?

Trilla wrote: »

Pity.

Tried a look but not up for them.

If you are a part pessimistic sort you can back De Gea at 5\2 to be Madrid player next season ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Trilla wrote: »

Pity.

Well Nani is perfect for a 4-3-3 type formation with skills and trickery he would be a great squad option.

We don't really have an out and out poacher so Hernandez offers something different. If he is happy to stay he would again be a great squad option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the home grown thing is very influential and I think as a result, Evans , Jones, smalling and young ain't going anywhere fast...

Similarly Pereira, Adnan and I guess Rafael are all classed as home grown (or the first two will be)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I saw a graphic yesterday about it and Rafael will lose his homegrown status if it happens

• Advertisement

• Nuts102 wrote: »
    Well Nani is perfect for a 4-3-3 type formation with skills and trickery he would be a great squad option.

We don't really have an out and out poacher so Hernandez offers something different. If he is happy to stay he would again be a great squad option.

When's the last time he has made an appearance for Madrid?
    At least we gave him sub appearances.

• Headshot wrote: »
    Let them have another mediocre utd player

He's been having a good season since his Arsenal brain fart to be fair to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

got the idea into my head this morning to try and get over to the villa game :P

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    He's been having a good season since his Arsenal brain fart to be fair to him

I think he's dodgy full stop Mick. I dont ever see him being the main man in the back that will lead us for seasons to come.

I want utd to get back to the level they should be and I cant see Smalling being part of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Nuts102 wrote: »

Hernandez is wasting his career, he should have moved somewhere realistic and actually played games instead of going to Madrid where he was always going to be a benchwarmer.

He should be sold, but we aren't going get anything like his value so may as well keep him as a squad option. Having him there would also mean we don't have to waste money on overpriced replacements like Falcao. Rooney is the main striker, and the likes of Hernandez, Wilson and RVP are more than suitable cover.

the home grown thing is very influential and I think as a result, Evans , Jones, smalling and young ain't going anywhere fast...

Similarly Pereira, Adnan and I guess Rafael are all classed as home grown (or the first two will be)

All 3 won't be classed as HG, they have to spend 3 years before they turn 18, so they should join when they are 15 or younger. Rafael and Pereira joined when they were 16 and Rafael when he was 18.

• Headshot wrote: »
    I think he's dodgy full stop Mick. I dont ever see him being the main man in the back that will lead us for seasons to come.

I want utd to get back to the level they should be and I cant see Smalling being part of it.

I think LVG will play him regardless, I have feeling he has a soft spot for him because he's an excellent ball player.

Would you take him as CB if we bought a strong CB to complement his strengths?
    (Can't make up my mind about Jones at the moment so I have a feeling he could be replaced in the summer)

I like to see a new CB to partner Rojo who I think has a better future at the club.

Headshot wrote: »
    I like to see a new CB to partner Rojo who I think has a better future at the club.

Even if you're right about that, two of Smalling / Jones / Evans would still be needed and Smalling as been the best of them lately.

• Advertisement

I remember back in the day,we were crucified by the homegrown rule,we really suffered in Europe.

The problem is not the players,it's the archaic way many are coached from a young age.The FA are blaming England being rubbish on the influx of foreign players and ignoring the main problem of lads being taught to play football the right way from a young age.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement