Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Trying to present a retarded opinion as anything other than retarded is simply retarded.

Did you see Ronaldo in the champions league final last year? Did you see him when Bale stole his goal last week? I would say questioning his attitude is far from retarded.

Oh but of course, in this forum someone who holds a different opinion to you must be retarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Do we really have to use the term retarded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

0f7a32bb52b41cfb00dced690d8cb8ab.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Imagine Carrick scored that 2nd goal, or the other way around imagine Fellaini stupidly gave away the ball leading to sturridge's goal last week, we'd be hearing about either for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Yeah Ronaldo's attitude is awful alright. Lets ignore the fact that basically anyone who has worked with or played with the man have spoken about how much of a consummate professional he is and how serious he takes his work. Lets ignore how well he generally seems to get on with his teammates, his managers and the staff he works with, not to mention his fans.

But YOU have question marks over his attitude. You would know best after all. Thank God you've warned us.

Don't think anyone is questioning his work rate or commitment on the pitch. It's the crap off the pitch, stupid celebrations on it and apparent feuds with his own teammates that lead to his attitude being questioned.
    Fakman87 wrote: »
    Oh but of course, in this forum someone who holds a different opinion to you must be retarded.

Resistance is futile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Of course he can be wrong. My problem is with the typical response in this forum of "You have a different opinion to me and therefore you are an idiot".

If someone in here disagrees with you, they don't have a debate, they just respond with straw man arguments, ad hominem and condescending ****e like the above guy did.

It's utter nonsense.

In fairness, this is not unique to here. You've described the whole internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

In fairness, this is not unique to here. You've described the whole internet.

Not quite. That's not even true of this forum. You are tarring good posters with the same brush as the idiots.

Its possible to have a decent debate in the Chelsea and Arsenal superthreads. But offer a dissenting voice in here or the Liverpool thread and it descends into immature and vitriolic farce immediately. It's the posters the threads attract. Not everyone "on the internet" behaves that way.

Kirby wrote: »
    Not quite. That's not even true of this forum. You are tarring good posters with the same brush as the idiots.

Its possible to have a decent debate in the Chelsea and Arsenal superthreads. But offer a dissenting voice in here or the Liverpool thread and it descends into immature and vitriolic farce immediately. It's the posters the threads attract. Not everyone "on the internet" behaves that way.

I never said everyone behaves that way. I said you will see the same behaviour all across the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Did you see Ronaldo in the champions league final last year? Did you see him when Bale stole his goal last week? I would say questioning his attitude is far from retarded.

I never called anyone retarded.

That's not true either really. There's loads of debates. Entire pages of them at a time. So much so if people mention the name Carrick, Cleverly, Nani, Rooney, Welbeck or Leon Britton (don't ask why) people immediately get vietnam esque flashbacks of the debates that took place. You're just being entirely disingenuous because some people find retarded opinions to be retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I never called anyone retarded.
    Trying to present a retarded opinion as anything other than retarded is simply retarded.

you kinda, like, did?

That's not true either really. There's loads of debates. Entire pages of them at a time. So much so if people mention the name Carrick, Cleverly, Nani, Rooney, Welbeck or Leon Britton (don't ask why) people immediately get vietnam esque flashbacks of the debates that took place. You're just being entirely disingenuous because some people find retarded opinions to be retarded.

Those weren't debates. They were pissing matches, temper tantrums and insult ridden tirades.

The fact that you called somebody elses opinion "retarded" just proves my point for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Those weren't debates. They were pissing matches, temper tantrums and insult ridden tirades.

The fact that you called somebody elses opinion "retarded" just proves my point for me.

Hey, lets talk down to groups of fans because i refuse to identify with one :d omg the lols.

you kinda, like, did?

Except I like, didn't

There were loads of debates on the above just because you disagree doesn't mean they didn't exist. Its as if you think the discussions in the other threads don't get heated either.

There were loads of debates on the above just because you disagree doesn't mean they didn't exist. Its as if you think the discussions in the other threads don't get heated either.

Heated is a given. People get passionate about football. What you wont find is people calling each other retarded, like what just happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Except I like, didn't

you like, so did dude.

I like Manchester United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Nice to see united players doing well am delighted with fellani and rooneys form lately they are surely high on confidence going into crucial end of season, even falcao he might not be a united player for much longer but the guy has kept his head down and kept going doesn't look like you can fault his attitude but I suppose he is paid enough to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Is the Rooney in midfield experiment banished for good now? He was excellent again on Friday admittedly against only Lithuania but still.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Nice to see united players doing well am delighted with fellani and rooneys form lately they are surely high on confidence going into crucial end of season, even falcao he might not be a united player for much longer but the guy has kept his head down and kept going doesn't look like you can fault his attitude but I suppose he is paid enough to do it.

Falcao's celebration when Mata scored the second

http://gfycat.com/DistortedSlowGrub

• Advertisement

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Is the Rooney in midfield experiment banished for good now? He was excellent again on Friday admittedly against only Lithuania but still.

It be interesting to see what happens when rvp is back, personally myself I think he should be made wait for his chance to get back in side I wouldn't shift Rooney out of where he is now.

Falcao's celebration when Mata scored the second

http://gfycat.com/DistortedSlowGrub

My point exactly he looks like a kid that loves playing football and loves looking at it, I'm sire someone will correct me but I don't recall a shot of him looking peed off on the bench all season he always seems to be smiling, fair enough he probably not enjoying the under 21 experience but I wouldn't blame him.

My point exactly he looks like a kid that loves playing football and loves looking at it, I'm sire someone will correct me but I don't recall a shot of him looking peed off on the bench all season he always seems to be smiling, fair enough he probably not enjoying the under 21 experience but I wouldn't blame him.

Agreed. People can question his ability post injury, but nobody can question his professionalism.

Heated is a given. People get passionate about football. What you wont find is people calling each other retarded, like what just happened.

I never once called anyone retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I don't use it myself simply because some people get their knickers in a twist about it but calling an opinion retarded does not mean you're calling that person a retard. In the same way that when you say something is stupid it doesn't mean you are calling the person that said it stupid.

Agreed. People can question his ability post injury, but nobody can question his professionalism.

He reminds me of Mata ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

They should close the soccer forum during international weeks

Also some world class finishing from Fellaini tonight a week after he destroys Liverpool at Anfield. Some change of fortunes for the man who was the butt of many jokes last season from rival fans and also his own

Also some world class finishing from Fellaini tonight a week after he destroys Liverpool at Anfield. Some change of fortunes for the man who was the butt of many jokes last season from rival fans and also his own

Funnily enough he's somehow still not accepted as a class player by many of our fans. Ah well. So glad he's proving his worth. As for Falcao. Wish he did well but seems like a square peg, round hole scenario. Great everywhere except for us. Could go down as a Veron.

Hopefully that confidence will keep him performing up to the end of the season. I would be feeling very confident about top 4, and maybe even stealing 3rd, if he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Seen a few lads on about Depay but while he is good, I don't think he is much of an improvement on what we got at the moment.

Would much rather keep the money towards a Pogba or a Bale and get the best out of Nani..

Of course if we sign Bale, maybe Nani would be sacrificed.

• Advertisement

Seen a few lads on about Depay but while he is good, I don't think he is much of an improvement on what we got at the moment.

Would much rather keep the money towards a Pogba or a Bale and get the best out of Nani..

Of course if we sign Bale, maybe Nani would be sacrificed.

I wonder would real go for bale and cash in exchange for nani :) him and Ronaldo are good mates like :)

I wonder would real go for bale and cash in exchange for nani :) him and Ronaldo are good mates like :)

I think it's clear there's only one United player that Real want.

If we don't mention him they might forget him,

Everything is a bit quiet tho that's what I'm wondering about.. When Madrid wanted Ronaldo the marca was talking about him every day of week and I think even club president was talking about him but this tine they is f all, that could be because they ain't interested or that they have as good as a deal done already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

And unfortunately that'll be the price to pay for entertaining a move for Bale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

They can't have Fellaini! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Chico scored last night, good goal too

It was clear Ronaldo wanted Real but is there any indication that DDG wants a move?

He is after all a former Athletico player, would he really do that?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It was clear Ronaldo wanted Real but is there any indication that DDG wants a move?

He is after all a former Athletico player, would he really do that?

I don't think that sort of thing will play into his decision all that much, no more than Pogba would reject City cause he used to play for United. If the money and success is there to be had, I think most will take it.

That said, I've not seen any clear evidence he wants to move either. It's a very easy story to write I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I really can't understand how some people don't see any issues with Ronaldo's attitude. It's true that he has an excellent attitude to his personal training and is very driven to score goals and win matches, but it's also true that he is selfish on the ball, very often looks like he cares more about scoring himself than helping the team score and indulges in ridiculously attention seeking celebrations and temper tantrums on the pitch.

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    I really can't understand how some people don't see any issues with Ronaldo's attitude. It's true that he has an excellent attitude to his personal training and is very driven to score goals and win matches, but it's also true that he is selfish on the ball, very often looks like he cares more about scoring himself than helping the team score and indulges in ridiculously attention seeking celebrations and temper tantrums on the pitch.

I do agree with you on all of above but its a common that to be successful in sport you have to be selfish to a certain degree. Even henry said that behind the scenes messi is similar too. In the case of Ronaldo it is all about him but he is on another planet compaired to all others apart from messi so the positives out way the negatives for me, the entertainment of ronaldos goals the flicks and tricks that's why I love watching him play and its why I prefer him to messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

It's not that people don't see the tantrums and the selfishness. It's that people may not see it as a major problem, or even a problem at all.

It's not that people don't see the tantrums and the selfishness. It's that people may not see it as a major problem, or even a problem at all.

Yeah, and that's weird to me. Fair enough to say that he's so good he's more than worth putting up with the bad aspects of his attitude, but to completely deny that the selfishness is a mark against I don't get.

Yeah, and that's weird to me. Fair enough to say that he's so good he's more than worth putting up with the bad aspects of his attitude, but to completely deny that the selfishness is a mark against I don't get.

The way I'd look at it is that every player has cons - there is no perfect footballer. His selfishness might be one of his cons, but his other attributes more than make up for it, so making such a big deal out of it seems a bit silly to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

The argument would be that it is part of what makes him what he is. It all stems from an intense personal drive to be the best coupled with a prodigious ego. So where you see a mark against, I see obvious examples of what makes him great

If you look at a sport like Basketball, where one player can change your team from also rans into contenders, the very best are very like Ronaldo. Kobe Bryant, Jordan, LeBron James, Shaq etc are all supposed to be massive egotists They rule their teams more than their managers, spend most time with ball in hand and if they take a dislike to a player, he's gone. But it's probably part of what makes them as good as they are. So while it might be a bad thing in general life, it's a really good thing when they're in the height of a game.

The way I'd look at it is that every player has cons - there is no perfect footballer. His selfishness might be one of his cons, but his other attributes more than make up for it, so making such a big deal out of it seems a bit silly to me.

I don't see what the big deal is in acknowledging that he has flaws.
    The argument would be that it is part of what makes him what he is. It all stems from an intense personal drive to be the best coupled with a prodigious ego. So where you see a mark against, I see obvious examples of what makes him great

If you look at a sport like Basketball, where one player can change your team from also rans into contenders, the very best are very like Ronaldo. Kobe Bryant, Jordan, LeBron James, Shaq etc are all supposed to be massive egotists They rule their teams more than their managers, spend most time with ball in hand and if they take a dislike to a player, he's gone. But it's probably part of what makes them as good as they are. So while it might be a bad thing in general life, it's a really good thing when they're in the height of a game.

Something can be part of what makes a player what they are while also being a flaw. Being a selfish egotist is not just a problem in normal life, it also harms teams.

• Advertisement

I don't see what the big deal is in acknowledging that he has flaws.

Is anyone making a big deal out of that? Maybe I've become disconnected from the flow of conversation - but I thought that people were saying it would a silly reason not to want Ronaldo. Which I would agree with.

If people are saying he doesn't have any flaws, then of course that's silly too.

Is anyone making a big deal out of that? Maybe I've become disconnected from the flow of conversation - but I thought that people were saying it would a silly reason not to want Ronaldo. Which I would agree with.

If people are saying he doesn't have any flaws, then of course that's silly too.

I don't think they are mate haha I was following it too and it was mostly saying we would prefer Ronaldo over bale, don't remember anyone saying he had no flaws they may of said he was better then bale in every way alright,

Timmy wouldn't hear any talk of Ronaldo's flaws:
    Yeah Ronaldo's attitude is awful alright. Lets ignore the fact that basically anyone who has worked with or played with the man have spoken about how much of a consummate professional he is and how serious he takes his work. Lets ignore how well he generally seems to get on with his teammates, his managers and the staff he works with, not to mention his fans.

This is a fairly common response whenever someone talks about Ron's flaws and argues that another fantastic player might be a better purchase all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

I think all of the guys you've mentioned have more in common with Messi than they do Ronaldo. There is something so self conscious, almost insecure about Ronaldo that i've never seen in the other guys you've mentioned.

The best example i can think of is the penalty shoot out in the Euro's when rather than take the first penalty, Ronaldo chose to wait, presumably so he could take the winning penalty and hog the limelight. WTF was that? All the guys mentioned would be more concerned with getting the job done knowing they will get plenty of glory on account of them being amazing at what they do.

The last thing we need is to spunk 80 million on an increasingly stroppy diva in decline.

The idea that Messi is the perfect footballer is laughable, the man has dived all his career, is a tax fraud and theres been numerous reports he's an egomaniac and difficult to work with, yet nobody ever mentions any of it and he's seen as some media darling. Imagine if Ronaldo was a tax fraud, the world would be in uproar. Only think Ronaldo gets so much stick is cause of his appearance compared to Messi's. (I know it sounds stupid but its true imo.)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement