Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Good article here on Mata, agree with it all, think he has been treated unfairly somewhat.

http://www.football365.com/f365-says/9746613/F365-Says

He is Kagawa all over again. Bought for a purpose, bought for a reason. Then a big signing comes in and he get's turfed to the side and its square pegs in round holes all over again.

Either he is off in the summer or Van Gaal decides to actually play him behind Rooney, like he should be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Lukekul wrote: »
    Ah lads in here can't even spell Falcao, we'll never manage Nainggolan

If the reports on the figures are accurate can just call him G Money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Hococop wrote: »
    Well lads and ladies En route to Manchester for the game, my first ever game and I've been a fan 17+ years, can't wait :D:D

So we know who to blame should we lose

With the lack of EPL action this weekend was able to drift around a few games in Europe to have a peak at stuff. Caught the first half of PSV's game...Depay looking a bit tasty...

I did not know that Ander Herrera was 6ft, or anywhere near it...

ItWswMt.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Apparently anfields pitch is very patchy.

Perfect for a hoofball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Not a chance he's 6 foot.

6 foot is fairly average. I'm about 6 foot.

There isn't a lot between 5'7 and 6 foot like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

6 foot is fairly average. I'm about 6 foot.

There isn't a lot between 5'7 and 6 foot like.

I remember few years ago it was same about Ronaldo he was 6ft 2 or 3 I think and no1 could believe it.

I've now looked for a source other than that picture I linked, and different sites have his height anywhere from 5-10 to 6ft. Either way, he's taller than I would have thought. I would have had him somewhere around Mata's height, which he apparently isn't. A bit of DDG-style bulking up during the Summer might do even more for his game next season.

• Ander Herrera MUFC = Height, 1.82 m (6 ft 0 in)
    Argument over ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

The dutch are the tallest average people on earth, that makes Daley Blind a short arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

stankratz wrote: »
    I did not know that Ander Herrera was 6ft, or anywhere near it...

ItWswMt.jpg

So many midgets on our team. I would have thought Di Maria and Young were at least 6ft.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

thelad95 wrote: »
    So many midgets on our team. I would have thought Di Maria and Young were at least 6ft.

Average height of team in reflecting average height in general shocker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Bar GK and CB I say majority of footballers be no more then 5ft 10ins

We make up for it with Fellaini being 9 foot tall and shooting fire bolts from his arse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

But its on the internet so it must be true!!

Slow day lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Hoping we get the finger out and put in a good performance tonight, I really want another FA cup. This craic about getting into top four is depressing as fuck, I want trophies and the FA cup is there for the taking!

While on a rational level I understand the need to get back into the champions league, it would be very hard for me to choose top four over winning the FA cup. The FA cup is still a prestigious trophy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Hoping we get the finger out and put in a good performance tonight, I really want another FA cup. This craic about getting into top four is depressing as fuck, I want trophies and the FA cup is there for the taking!

While on a rational level I understand the need to get back into the champions league, it would be very hard for me to choose top four over winning the FA cup. The FA cup is still a prestigious trophy.

are you serious?

top 4 over fa cup, all day long......the Fa Cup will soon be forgetten about when/if we are playing away to Bate Borislav or some team in Kaza on a Thursday night....

if we are to sign the top players in Europe this summer, we need top 4.

Top 4 all day.

FA Cup is just a bonus

Its sad that it comes to this but that's the reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

FA cup for me, Missing out on the Community shield will be a big blow for signing top players next season.

are you serious?

top 4 over fa cup, all day long......the Fa Cup will soon be forgetten about when/if we are playing away to Bate Borislav or some team in Kaza on a Thursday night....

if we are to sign the top players in Europe this summer, we need top 4.

Ignoring the fact that we shouldn't have to make this choice, I don't understand the logic of saying that the FA cup will soon be forgotten. What, are we going tell our kids about the day we drew with Hull on the last day to squeeze into fourth place? Of course not.

A lot of teams and fans like to look towards next season. Liverpool for example, playing a weakened team in the Europa cup so that they can focus on the league to ensure they qualify for a cup next season. Fuck next season, there will always be a next season, why not try to win the cup now!

This is all hypothetical, Manchester United are more than good enough to win the FA cup while cantering into the CL places. But in a hypothetical sense winning a cup should always trump moving up a few league places, after all why else do we even support a team?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Personally, I don't care about signing big name players, so I wouldn't naturally care about getting into the CL over actually winning something. DDG's contract signing could be hinging on CL qualification, but we don't know that for sure.

However, the owners' business model depends on CL qualification and the FA Cup is a fairly worthless competition at this stage. There's so little glory in winning a knock-out competition that all of the best teams care so little about and it's incredibly important for the long term success of the club to finish in the top four this season. So I'm at the stage where I would be be happier with the non-event of finishing fourth than I would with a trophy.

Qualification for a not particularly interesting cup competition is now the most important thing in all of club football. Well done organisers.

Just finished latest Sunday Supp pod. Quick one liner about Van Gaal wanting Danny Ings...and they moved swiftly along with a sort of "well we know that is fact"

What now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

kona wrote: »
    I disagree , Ashley young is having a good season , ozil and Walcott I wouldn't have in the united team , I'd take Sanchez however.

Ozil is one of the best players in the world and Walcott is so far ahead of anyone United have to play on the right bar Di Maria who is versatile enough to move to a different position that it would be an auto-take. Oxlade Chamberlain too. I'd have Ramsey over Herrera too thinking about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Liam O wrote: »
    Ozil is one of the best players in the world and Walcott is so far ahead of anyone United have to play on the right bar Di Maria who is versatile enough to move to a different position that it would be an auto-take. Oxlade Chamberlain too. I'd have Ramsey over Herrera too thinking about it.

Ramsey of this season or last? He was unstoppable last season but I don't think he has been nearly as effective this season. I wouldn't say he's an automatic shoo-in over Herrera based on his performances this year.

Ramsey of this season or last? He was unstoppable last season but I don't think he has been nearly as effective this season. I wouldn't say he's an automatic shoo-in over Herrera based on his performances this year.

He's had a very stop-start season this time round but is still top quality imo.

That's a bit extreme....

How would Ozil do anything in our team when we couldn't find a place for Kagawa or Mata?

Walcott is absolutely braindead, and for the odd goal or brace he scores, he flounders about a match far too often. No thanks.

Chamberlain has some ways to go to show signs of consistency, promising talent but wouldn't be sweating bullets for him.

Ramsey has had one fantastic season, no doubt a great talent, but has the Arsenal rot of potentially breaking down at any point.

I'm all for the "what players from other teams would we like" sort of stuff, but let's not get dramatic and hammer our own squad too hard. These things tend to turn vile quickly as people put emphasis on current form or recent form.

I'd personally struggle to actually take anyone from that Arsenal team in a heartbeat. I'd possibly consider Sanchez and Giroud who I've a lot of time for.

But then I'd have to twist our team to a totally unrealistic formation to justify my selections.

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    But then I'd have to twist our team to a totally unrealistic formation to justify my selections.

That never stopped LVG.

Walcott is one of the best finishers in the league and has fantastic ability to get into positions to use it. Him and RVP were a better combination than Rooney and Nani a couple of years ago as the best in the league. Arsenal have some fantastic players and unlike Liverpool and Spurs are better on paper and on the pitch than United at the moment imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

il put it this way, we miss out on CL qualification next season, we will be in a real bad place, to put it mildly - we will keep slipping further and further back.

If your method for judging players doesn't immediately tell you that you're better off with Oxlade-Chamberlain and Walcott as your wingers instead of Young, Valencia and Januzaj then you need to rethink how you judge players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Any word on Van Persie? It's always a delight watching him score against Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Have watched the last couple of Roma games and Nainggolan looks good, the problem is spending your entire career in Italy could make an all action midfielder look better than he really is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

il put it this way, we miss out on CL qualification next season, we will be in a real bad place, to put it mildly - we will keep slipping further and further back.

No doubt it'll be a blow but I highly doubt united would fall much even if we don't qualify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

massive game tonight, will have a big impact on where we finish in the league this season I think, if we win will give us huge confidence going into our next game v spurs, lose and we are in a nightmare scenario, as questions will be asked of the team against big teams coming into a period where we play spurs and Liverpool next

bangkok wrote: »
    massive game tonight, will have a big impact on where we finish in the league this season I think, if we win will give us huge confidence going into our next game v spurs, lose and we are in a nightmare scenario, as questions will be asked of the team against big teams coming into a period where we play spurs and Liverpool next

Not really. It would be nice to win the FA cup but 4th place is priority. Your right about building confidence but we've actually done very well against the better teams in the league. Draw v Chelsea, could've beaten City had Smalling not been sent off, destroyed Liverpool, should've beaten spurs, and beat Arsenal in the Emirates. I have faith that LVG will bring the big performances again when they're really needed. You must remember, this is a man who bought a very mediocre Dutch team to 3rd place in the World Cup only 9 months ago.

• Advertisement

"All action" is exactly how I'd describe Nainggolan too. Decent player, but where would he fit in the team? As competition for Herrera?

If he was going to play alongside Herrera in a 433, both ahead of a DM, that would be interesting, but I'd be a bit worried about a lack of goal scorers then. Nainggolan and Herrera together at the base of midfield would be good in possession, but I wouldn't trust that pair defensively.

Unless LVG could get more goals or better defensive reliability out of Nainggolan and/or Herrera I don't see the pair being great together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Nainggolan is all engine and not really anything else. Not a threat from distance, doesn't attack the box particularly well, not a creative passer. Herrera is a better player. He's not what we need at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

This non league game will have no impact on where we finish on the league.

Not really. It would be nice to win the FA cup but 4th place is priority. Your right about building confidence but we've actually done very well against the better teams in the league. Draw v Chelsea, could've beaten City had Smalling not been sent off, destroyed Liverpool, should've beaten spurs, and beat Arsenal in the Emirates. I have faith that LVG will bring the big performances again when they're really needed. You must remember, this is a man who bought a very mediocre Dutch team to 3rd place in the World Cup only 9 months ago.

We lost to city, were extremely lucky to beat arsenal away as they absolutely battered us, "destroyed Liverpool"? only for de gea they would have probably beaten us, think they had 19 or 20 attempts that day.

if you don't think Man Utd v Arsenal is a massive game no matter what the competition is, then no game is

and what if we get a few injuries or red cards tonight to key players? of course tonight will have a huge impact on top 4 for both clubs imo

Walcott is one of the best finishers in the league and has fantastic ability to get into positions to use it. Him and RVP were a better combination than Rooney and Nani a couple of years ago as the best in the league.
    Don't know about best finisher, but it really was a shame that he got that serious injury when he did as he was really starting to come into his own. I think had he been playing regularly this last two years you would be talking some serious goals/assists figures from Walcott.

For once he has a point. We are about to play a lot of games against our direct rivals, it is important that we start that run in a strong fashion.

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    If your method for judging players doesn't immediately tell you that you're better off with Oxlade-Chamberlain and Walcott as your wingers instead of Young, Valencia and Januzaj then you need to rethink how you judge players.

Problem I have with those discussions and fantasy things is that it just puts two players up side by side, and you make a personal call on them.

Maybe its the sickle Football Manager addict in me, but I struggle to just put two players on paper and judge them (when its about someone over our players) whilst totally disregarding the formation we have been playing and how we have been playing.

We arn't playing with wingers, so where exactly is Walcott fitting into our team?

Like I said probably the obscure way I look at those discussions, and if it was weighing up one against another of course I'd pick them over say Valencia...but then we arn't playing with wingers.....

Either or accept what you are saying and probably am being pedantic when it comes to these things.

We lost to city, were extremely lucky to beat arsenal away as they absolutely battered us, "destroyed Liverpool"? only for de gea they would have probably beaten us, think they had 19 or 20 attempts that day.

if you don't think Man Utd v Arsenal is a massive game no matter what the competition is, then no game is

I do think it's a massive game but Bangkok was claiming it's massive in terms of our league campaign, which it isn't.

I do think it's a massive game but Bangkok was claiming it's massive in terms of our league campaign, which it isn't.

"Monday night is a big game, and every big win in a big game has an impact subconsciously in the belief of the team,"

Wenger sums it up perfect for me

• Any word on Van Persie? It's always a delight watching him score against Arsenal.

LVG ruled him out for tonight anyway. Not sure about weekend fixtures.

Bit off topic, but I ****ing love playing Arsenal and beating them.

Forget about Liverpool , when I was growing up in late 90s and start of century it was Arsenal you looked forward to. Some epic battles between the teams.

Seeing footage off the 2003 meeting when Keown acted the langer and those games in 99 it really was war between two clubs.

As a club I always had that respect for them though too (although few Arsenal fans on boards test that).

Beating Arsenal as fan growing up was 10 times better then beating anyone else and even today it still the games I look forward to most cause even the 0-0's seem to bring drama

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement