Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

irishfeen wrote: »
    Various reports too about Di Maria to PSG .. I presume we are all taking it as absolutely bullshíte??

I wouldn't, they wanted him last season, he wanted to go, FFP stopped the deal going ahead so he joined UTD. If FFP allows the deal to go ahead this summer and he has always been their no1 target, no reason why they wont bid on him again. After that its up to the club what they want to do, but if PSG bid 55m and di maria wanted to leave there is no way United will refuse that offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Various reports too about Di Maria to PSG .. I presume we are all taking it as absolutely bullshíte??

I'll literally eat a hat if he goes anywhere this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'll literally eat a hat if he goes anywhere this summer.

bookmarked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Hummels is linked from all sides so must have legs to it at this stage.
    Not sure I want him though.He is good but not sure if he is that good. Maybe im being harsh I have only seen him few times this season.

Not sure where the harshness is coming from to be honest with him. Yeah he has had a bit of a rough season for Dortmund, but hardly his fault, the entire squad has been decimated with injury and he was playing alongside debutants for portions of the season, along with the general struggle they have been having.

He is a classy CB. He was one of that German group that pretty much stole the show in South Africa, and has gone on from strength to strength. At 26 his best years are ahead of him.

I think it's a bit misleading about his pace and how that would be a problem. Laurent Blanc came here in his twilight years and was tremendous, Stam was like the titanic turning but was sensational. The league is and has been littered with good CB's who arn't quick. Ferdinand displayed in his final years how his pace covered up his glaring brain farts and issues with reading the game.

Hummels, defensively, reads the game wonderfully and I think he would be a tremendous addition to our defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I wouldn't like to see it, but if it was for the 60m that was paid for him it would make sense and that money could be reinvested into the CB everyone wants and most of all the RB everyone wants. A link with Coentrao stinks of LVG still thinking 3-5-2 is the way to go if there's any truth to it and that would make me a lot more unhappy than any individual leaving.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Not sure where the harshness is coming from to be honest with him. Yeah he has had a bit of a rough season for Dortmund, but hardly his fault, the entire squad has been decimated with injury and he was playing alongside debutants for portions of the season, along with the general struggle they have been having.

He is a classy CB. He was one of that German group that pretty much stole the show in South Africa, and has gone on from strength to strength. At 26 his best years are ahead of him.

I think it's a bit misleading about his pace and how that would be a problem. Laurent Blanc came here in his twilight years and was tremendous, Stam was like the titanic turning but was sensational. The league is and has been littered with good CB's who arn't quick. Ferdinand displayed in his final years how his pace covered up his glaring brain farts and issues with reading the game.

Hummels, defensively, reads the game wonderfully and I think he would be a tremendous addition to our defense.

I presume you mean the other way around??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

At a guess, how much of the "reports" you read or hear are legit? 50%? 60%? 70%? 80%? 90%? 91.4%? 99.99%?

In the world of twittermania, where ex footballers tell the world the phone number of their ex girlfriends current luva and there's more crappy links than in a cheap rip off watch shop... there's no point in reading into rumours.

Its minus craic imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Hummels didn't go to the 2010 world cup so I do not know where you are getting this from.

I love him I think he'd be great for us.

Blanc was far from tremendous.
    Stam was very quick (if not quick at turning, can't remember) Straight line speed was very quick.
    Rio's reading of the game and positional sense was superb, hence the lack of slide tackles or fouls.

bangkok wrote: »
    I presume you mean the other way around??

Nope, I always felt his pace covered up some glaring concentration and positional issues, that were exposed blatantly in the latter part of his career. Perfectly summed up against City, where Dzeko barely made a jink and Ferdinand lost him over two yards.

An extreme example at the end, but I remember frequently rolling my eyes and being critical of Ferdinand's errors when he started to become a more reserved player.

• Advertisement

Nope, I always felt his pace covered up some glaring concentration and positional issues, that were exposed blatantly in the latter part of his career. Perfectly summed up against City, where Dzeko barely made a jink and Ferdinand lost him over two yards.

An extreme example at the end, but I remember frequently rolling my eyes and being critical of Ferdinand's errors when he started to become a more reserved player.

his pace got slower as he got older, your reading of the game never goes. I think your memory might be playing tricks on you.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/nov/01/rio-ferdinand-sir-alex-ferguson

that was 2011

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Hummels didn't go to the 2010 world cup so I do not know where you are getting this from.

I love him I think he'd be great for us.

Sorry sorry, meant Euros. I always associate him with that new German look team, but forget he came into the fray the tournament after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Blanc was terrible for a lot of the time he was at United. Don't think Hummels is anywhere near as slow as made out though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Saying Stam was like the Titanic turning is a bit much tbf. Reminds of Dunphy slating him after his first few matches.

Stam was a world class defender end of story. Blanc certainly wasn't although he did have world class experience which aided all of our younger defenders at the time.

We could easily say worse about Vidic. He was caught out a lot more than Stam ever was by pacy strikers turning him.

I'm not saying any of them WEREN'T excellent. I was just making the point that too many people are tunnel visioning on Hummels "perceived" lack of pace, and I was trying to outline how we had some excellent defenders who didn't have immense pace, either at the tail end of their career or to begin with. Even that is exaggerated. He was carrying a knock throughout the entire World Cup, with Germany playing a VERY high line which obviously got exposed. But he is plenty fast when he needs too.

In short, would love him at the club

I'm not saying any of them WEREN'T excellent. I was just making the point that too many people are tunnel visioning on Hummels "perceived" lack of pace. Even that is exaggerated. He was carrying a knock throughout the entire World Cup, with Germany playing a VERY high line which obviously got exposed. But he is plenty fast when he needs too.

In short, would love him at the club

I agree with this - but I disagree with you about Rio, Stam and Blanc, whcih did kind of put your entire post into question for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I havn't seen any of Dybala, but seen plenty of Vietto. I can only go on second hand information but so many quarters saying Dybala is the hotter prospect, which is ridiculous considering the break through season Vietto has had.

Although significant risk, both players having their breakthrough season. Vietto has a fixed clause which isn't break the bank (in the 20's) while I believe I read the Palermo president saying that Dybala will most likely leave, but for not a penny below €40m.

Money most likely isn't a problem, but I'm sure someone in the upper echelons will say "hold on a minute" after spunking €30m on Shaw who has been extremely poor and riddled with injury, and already speculation that Van Gaal wants someone more established in as his first choice LB. Was pretty obvious the lack of trust in Shaw the last few months.

If what I believe does come to pass, a 4-3-3, that means one striker. I'm resigned to Falcao leaving, but I think RVP will stay in a more reserved role with Rooney as number 1. That doesn't provide a lot of prospects for any incoming striker, unless Rooney is shunted out right to accomodate.

I'm certain that Depay will be joining. Too much admission from PSV that he will leave from management and executive, and with a tentative value of the mid 20's(m) he's incredible value for a young player Van Gaal has close ties with, and was spot on with his recommended development path.

I'd actually be surprised if we signed a striker truth be told, unless Van Persie was going also. I don't see Van Gaal playing two up top long term, and think there will only be one spot.

In relation to this, there were reports yesterday or possibly the day before that LVG sees Depay as someone who can play on either wing OR as a second striker. So Depay could be covering 2 positions almost. Although it kinda reminds me of Di Maria up front because of his pace, but Depay does have a better eye for goal so. I'm 100% convinced he's joining too, fairly confident Hummels is aswell and have been for months. Very exciting summer ahead.

yea if we qualify for champions league I can see us signing 4 players at least. Hummels, Depay, ??? and some world class striker or potential world class striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

You have to wonder who people rate as defenders if they aren't convinced by Hummels

He is at least in the top 5 in the world imo and at that I struggle to name a centre back who is clearly better

Pace is not needed if you compensate in other areas like reading the game well, and it's not like he's immobile

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bangkok wrote: »
    yea if we qualify for champions league I can see us signing 4 players at least. Hummels, Depay, ??? and some world class striker or potential world class striker

Hmmm and a midfielder, who do you think would be a top class striker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

You have to wonder who people rate as defenders if they aren't convinced by Hummels

He is at least in the top 5 in the world imo and at that I struggle to name a centre back who is clearly better

Pace is not needed if you compensate in other areas like reading the game well, and it's not like he's immobile

Isn't he a forward? :pac: Yea Hummels is defo top 5 in the world and at age 26 hes coming into what most call the peak age for a CB. Most definitely should be a target this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

In todays game, there's not a great quantity/quality of defenders. Its easy for Hummels to get into the top 5 because there's such a lack of top quality defenders.

I would rather Varane all day long tbh. Im not knocking Hummels but I just have serious doubts about him. It doesnt help that he has also been awful this season too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Headshot wrote: »
    In todays game, there's not a great quantity/quality of defenders. Its easy for Hummels to get into the top 5 because there's such a lack of top quality defenders.

I would rather Varane all day long tbh. Im not knocking Hummels but I just have serious doubts about him. It doesnt help that he has also been awful this season too.

So because the standard is not as high as previous we shouldn't want a top 5 defender in the world???

We are not going to get Varane in fact name any realistic cb better than Hummels we can get.

A world class defender has a dip in form and you have doubts, i have doubts watching the average defenders we have taking to the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That's interesting actually.

A French student that studies over here was saying this to me about two months ago seemingly convinced it's going to happen.

Also Falcao to Valencia looks to be the way he'll be going according to him.

Could be spoofing though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Stam was not slow during his Utd days.

#15 wrote: »
    Stam was not slow during his Utd days.

He wasn't even called stam as far as rte were concerned he was japp stum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

spain vs holland or england vs italy

hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

The summer has come early.

This is what it's like without Champions League football.

I'm starting to understand the restless babblings of some friends at this time of year now.

Sack them all if I have to go through this again next year. :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Jones starting in centre midfield for the English tonight. Interesting to see how he gets on.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Jones starting in centre midfield for the English tonight. Interesting to see how he gets on.

Jones gets messed about positionally too much. He really needs to just play in defence.

KH25 wrote: »
    Jones gets messed about positionally too much. He really needs to just play in defence.

Its not as if they are short on midfielders if they ain't playing him cb he should be rested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Robbed from reddit

How much milk can the current Manchester United Manager Drink ?
    About Van Gaalon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Robbed from reddit

How much milk can the current Manchester United Manager Drink ?
    About Van Gaalon.

That is truly woeful

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

KH25 wrote: »

He did very well in the role against Madrid as far I recall. (I do agree with you though)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Trond wrote: »
    He did very well in the role against Madrid as far I recall. (I do agree with you though)

He did and that's the problem. He can do a solid job in midfield, especially if he's there to just do a job on someone (maybe Veratti tonight?). His versatility is bad for him in terms of developing as a defender.

Trond wrote: »

He will do well tonight too that is a terrible looking Italian team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

Fellaini scored again for Belgium let's hope he gets back to us in one piece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

collie0708 wrote: »

Clattenberg is the ref, 3 yellows handed out already.

Israel lucky to be only 1 down too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Clyne is looking pretty rubbish in the England game at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

Smalling coming off injured, hopefully it's not too serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Smalling coming off injured, hopefully it's not too serious.

Looks like it could be a concussion. That'd be him out for the weekend if that's the case. Will have to wait until after the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

collie0708 wrote: »

Ya in one piece and hopefully bring his international goal scoring form into the Villa game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Evans, Jones and Smalling in exchange for Hummels is a better deal this summer than it was last.

Lord TSC wrote: »

It's done then.

Couldn't be a clearer case of "must begin enamouring myself to the fans".

It's done then.

Couldn't be a clearer case of "must begin enamouring myself to the fans".

Apparently he has since come out and denied the quote :(

Korat wrote: »
    Evans, Jones and Smalling in exchange for Hummels is a better deal this summer than it was last.

Ohh yes what a sensible comment brilliant first class mate.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Apparently he has since come out and denied the quote :(

Crap. :( I knew I shouldn't have broken my "United don't buy Germans" stance. I ruined it. Sorry guys.

• Advertisement

I see Spain lost? De Gea letting in two goals? Ugh, rubbish player, Spain should take note and just write him off now.

<_<;;;;

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement