Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

jayo26 wrote: »
    Id take an arsenal win then we are truly looking upwards

We'll be looking upwards alright, because they will still be a point ahead. I would prefer a draw - or anything but a Liverpool win.

The aim for United should now be to catch City in second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

zerks wrote: »
    If he's out it'll be Jones & Rojo in the centre with Blind & Valencia at full back.

Dunno, Shaw is ready for a comeback now too. He might get a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Not FTA sadly,it'll be Kodi for me on the Android box.
    Yes, no PL matches are FTA across Europe to protect sky/BT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

v3ttel wrote: »
    We'll be looking upwards alright, because they will still be a point ahead. I would prefer a draw - or anything but a Liverpool win.

The aim for United should now be to catch City in second.

Having spent the season fearing we wouldn't finish 4th, I'm hoping for an Arsenal win so that we can open the gap to liverpool up to 8 points with 7 games to play.

I'm still looking at those City, Arsenal and Chelsea games with worry. The bigger the gap is to 5th, the happier i'll be.

Obviously I would prefer United to finish 3rd and not have to do the CL qualifier, but i'm not that bothered whether we finish 2nd or 4th. It still won't be a PL win and will still (likely) result in CL football next season.

Cement 4th and look at higher up the table next season.

on smalling - I saw somewhere this morning that he was likely to be passed fit after feeling sick before HT against Italy. Hopefully he will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

I see Madrid signed Danilo off Porto. Serious prospect that chap.

Far more so than Clyne. Really don't want us to spend something stupid on him in the summer, he's been very overrated by the English media imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Midfielder Tom Cleverley has agreed a new contract with Manchester United until 2019, the club have confirmed.

The English Midfielder revealed he had entered surprise talks with the club over a new deal in January when he became free to talk to other clubs with his existing contract due to run out in the summer.

Cleverley has been at United since arriving as a 12 year old in 2002 and had worked his way up to the first team in 2009, showing enough promise for an England U21 call up before making himself a regular at United and caps for the National Team followed.

Injuries and intermittent playing time interrupted progress with United and a difficult season under David Moyes and poor pre-season saw Van Gaal opt to send the young midfielder out on loan despite interest in a permanent deal from Everton.

Cleverley told the club's official site: "I'm delighted to have signed a new contract. I think it's exciting times for Manchester United, everyone can see there's more progress to be made and as a United fan I want to be a part of that"

"I came here as a 12 year old and it's been a difficult 18 months for me. I spoke with the boss at then end of the summer transfer window and he couldn't promise me game time, we both agreed that I needed to be playing week in week out to continue my development and that has happened at Villa. I've enjoyed being a regular and really feel my performances are back to a level United fans expect from a player like me."

Cleverley, 25, played a key part in United's 20th Premier League title in 2013. His partnership with Carrick offering the promise that Scholes' successor didn't need to come from an expensive signing.

Cleverley misses Saturday's match up between his loan club Villa and parent club United at Old Trafford due to League rules regarding loan moves. He will return to the club on July 1st following pre planned club holidays.

Mail, Telegraph and Express reporting it now too

april fools

Xenji wrote: »

Delighted - sooner we get him into the side ahead of Fellaini, Blind and Carrick the sooner we can start winning titles. His control, ability under pressure and forward passing range is far superior to those three, so i'm told.

I know, April Fools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Xenji wrote: »

april fools

With TC, aka the English Pirlo, coming back to OT we need a suitable MF partner with an equally impressive forward passing range so we can dominate european football again. Iniesta, Vidal would be all good fall back options should we fail to get Leon Britton.

Then Buttner and Massimo Taibi to shore things up at the back and we are laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

That's just cruel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

:rolleyes:
    bangkok wrote: »
    sorry let me rephrase what I said, Carrick has been excellent for years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

You know for a second there I was thinking how ****ing boss I'd look after the Cleverly comments I made last week :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

We should enquire about Sterling for the craic lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

irishfeen wrote: »
    Ladders at the ready :)

Ahh no lob the sweeping brush up give it a few taps and bobs your uncle:)

• Advertisement

Not FTA sadly,it'll be Kodi for me on the Android box.

U checked mobdro? Reaaaaallllllly good :)

Headshot wrote: »
    We should enquire about Sterling for the craic lol

Could you imagine how that conversation would go?

Lvg: Hallooo am I speaking to the trainer coach of Liverpool

Brenda: Ya what do you want?

Lvg: That skinny fast little kid I think he would fit my philosophy better then he fits yours can I have him

Brenda: go **** off you ******** ***** I will kick your ******** ******

Lvg: April fool I think he is overrated and not worth the wages he looking for bye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Could you imagine how that conversation would go?

Lvg: Hallooo am I speaking to the trainer coach of Liverpool

Brenda: Ya what do you want?

Lvg: That skinny fast little kid I think he would fit my philosophy better then he fits yours can I have him

Brenda: go **** off you ******** ***** I will kick your ******** ******

Lvg: April fool I think he is overrated and not worth the wages he looking for bye.

justin-timerlake.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Some papers going with De Jong in on a free on 75k a week

Probably too good a deal to turn down but I think we have enough good midfielders at the moment and need to start searching for a great one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Some papers going with De Jong in on a free on 75k a week

Probably too good a deal to turn down but I think we have enough good midfielders at the moment and need to start searching for a great one
    He wouldn't be first 11 but a decent squad player.

Cleverly , ando and Fletcher all gone and potentially 10+ more games next year.

However I'd only be happy if it was signing one of two in midfield, we need something different in there and not another work horse...We need tempo, creativity and pace and De jong wouldn't offer us that.

Would suit LVGs system of playing a "4" in front of defence though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I think he offers something our other midfielders don't, so while I agree we still need to get a great midfielder I do think its a good choice to bring him in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I think he offers something our other midfielders don't, so while I agree we still need to get a great midfielder I do think its a good choice to bring him in.

Kung-fu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Really hope we don't sign de jong. No need for him whatsoever.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Really hope we don't sign de jong. No need for him whatsoever.

We 100% need him in the squad.

At moment it's Herrera and Carrick as the only options in there in terms of best position. Rooney, Fellaini, Blind are all better elsewhere.

Given the departures in recent months, we need at least two players in there, and if we are down a striker, then Rooney won't be used there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

De Jong would be a great squad player and bring much needed experience also.

We 100% need him in the squad.

At moment it's Herrera and Carrick as the only options in there in terms of best position. Rooney, Fellaini, Blind are all better elsewhere.

Given the departures in recent months, we need at least two players in there, and if we are down a striker, then Rooney won't be used there.

Blind excelled in Holland, and was given player of the year, having moved from defence into the anchor defensive midfield position - so maybe his best position will be that role, as he adapts to the PL and improves his confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

TheDoc wrote: »
    In fairness the article isn't claiming Carrick to be as good or the equivalent, but as someone who clearly possess' the qualities to perform the sort of role Pirlo does, and that's true.

There is immense irony in how after every tournament where England fail there is big reviews and the question of technical ability and controlling possesion always comes up.

But he doesn't possess the qualities to perform that role. He has the passing, he is superior defensively and he's intelligent, but he doesn't have the technical ability to control the ball like Pirlo. Carrick isn't a lessor version of Pirlo, he's a completely different player. Carrick has a weak first touch, Pirlo has an immaculate one. One of Pirlo's biggest strengths is his ability to receive the ball under any amount of pressure and still be able to do whatever he wants with it. That's Carrick's biggest weakness.

Pro. F wrote: »
    But he doesn't possess the qualities to perform that role. He has the passing, he is superior defensively and he's intelligent, but he doesn't have the technical ability to control the ball like Pirlo. Carrick isn't a lessor version of Pirlo, he's a completely different player. Carrick has a weak first touch, Pirlo has an immaculate one. One of Pirlo's biggest strengths is his ability to receive the ball under any amount of pressure and still be able to do whatever he wants with it. That's Carrick's biggest weakness.

indeed - he is no Cleverley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

getty_rm_photo_of_cold_water_on_burnt_hand.jpg

:P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Marca reporting that Valdes is looking for a move since he's convinced now De Gea is going nowhere and playing time will be limited.

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Marca reporting that Valdes is looking for a move since he's convinced now De Gea is going nowhere and playing time will be limited.

Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

don't know what games you do be watching to be honest, carrick has an excellent first touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I dont often agree with Pro F, actually I never do but he's spot on there.
    Pirlo and Carrick couldn't be further apart if you tried. Both great passers but thats were the similarities end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

bangkok wrote: »
    don't know what games you do be watching to be honest, carrick has an excellent first touch.

He really doesn't and this is quite evident against ANY team that presses us high up the pitch, Carrick can't get turned on the ball quickly and possession goes back and we're pressed further back. Then the ball goes long as a result.

Look at the games against quality opposition actually look at the game against Bilbao in the Europa league. Once pressed on the ball Carrick is limited in terms of getting the quick touch and moving it on. When he does get time which is more often than not due to his intelligence and positioning he's fine.

He makes up for a weak touch with his footballing brain and generally being in a position where it doesn't hinder him. A great skill to have. So it probably looks like his first touch isn't too bad, but its because he has time and is under no pressure. I think Pro F is merely stating that when Carrick is put under and is in a tight position he struggles compared to Pirlo who could receive it with 4 players around him and still have the ability to get it out and find someone (More often than not, that being a forward pass and taking 4 players out of the game)

He really doesn't and this is quite evident against ANY team that presses us high up the pitch, Carrick can't get turned on the ball quickly and possession goes back and we're pressed further back. Then the ball goes long as a result.

Look at the games against quality opposition actually look at the game against Bilbao in the Europa league. Once pressed on the ball Carrick is limited in terms of getting the quick touch and moving it on. When he does get time which is more often than not due to his intelligence and positioning he's fine.

He makes up for a weak touch with his footballing brain and generally being in a position where it doesn't hinder him. A great skill to have. So it probably looks like his first touch isn't too bad, but its because he has time and is under no pressure. I think Pro F is merely stating that when Carrick is put under and is in a tight position he struggles compared to Pirlo who could receive it with 4 players around him and still have the ability to get it out and find someone (More often than not, that being a forward pass and taking 4 players out of the game)

You appear to be describing speed on the ball and comfortable control under pressure - which is different to first touch. Your first touch (in context) is used to bring the ball under control. Carricks ability to control a ball is absolutely fine - you certainly won't see it ping off him as you see with Rooney, for example. Carrick may well be conservative on the ball under pressure or unable to withstand heavy pressure, but if you pass him the ball he will control it well. His first touch is not weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

U checked mobdro? Reaaaaallllllly good :)

I unveiled it to boards in the Android forum,needless to say it became very popular.

In United news,The Star is reporting we've reached agreement to sign Firmino.

I unveiled it to boards in the Android forum,needless to say it became very popular.

In United news,The Star is reporting we've reached agreement to sign Firmino.

I wonder are they mis-interpreting the Bild story from a few days ago.

Bild do a feature every week on transfers, and they have Firmino as 90% to leave this summer, and have United as very interested (having had our chief scout pictured with Firmino's agent in Firmino's box at Hoffeinheim)

plenty of times, Real Madrid away, Bayern Munich, Roma, carrick has been excellent.

Anyway, from watching carrick in his early west ham days to spurs and then his big move to united, 5 premier league titles later, 3 champions league finals later, 1 world club cup later, Alex Ferguson saying he is the best british player around, van Gaal immediately picking out Carrick as his most important player, Arsene Wenger stating that Carrick would easily be suited to the Barca style of play and he would perfectly compliment them, I think I will leave it there

also actually funny that ye seam to think pirlo can pick up a ball with 4 players around him no bother and can do what he wants with it. Should take a look at the 2nd half v Liverpool in the champions league final and see how that goes..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Player has bad game from time to time against top opposition shocker.

Its not about good games versus bad games. It's about deficiencies. They don't go away regardless of how "well" you've played.

Blind excelled in Holland, and was given player of the year, having moved from defence into the anchor defensive midfield position - so maybe his best position will be that role, as he adapts to the PL and improves his confidence.

For me part of the reason we've played much better lately is that blind has moved out of midfield and to LB. He is not good enough for a CM first team role, grand for back up but his beat position is left back and that's becoming very clear now, he was excellent against spurs and Liverpool.

You appear to be describing speed on the ball and comfortable control under pressure - which is different to first touch. Your first touch (in context) is used to bring the ball under control. Carricks ability to control a ball is absolutely fine - you certainly won't see it ping off him as you see with Rooney, for example. Carrick may well be conservative on the ball under pressure or unable to withstand heavy pressure, but if you pass him the ball he will control it well. His first touch is not weak.

Just because you don't see the ball ping off Carrick doesn't mean he has the touch required to do what Pirlo does (as sReq described). Carrick won't take on the ball in those situations. If there's a marker or two close to him he won't try to beat them with his first touch, if he tried he would fùck it up. Pirlo does it with ease.

Kirby wrote: »
    Its not about good games versus bad games. It's about deficiencies. They don't go away regardless of how "well" you've played.

Close control and dribbling might be deficiencies of his, but I just can't see how his first touch can be considered to be weak. Have I simply missed all the times the ball has rebounded off him as if you passed it to a wall?

Yes, Carrick's touch isn't as good as Cleverley's. However Cleverley doesn't have the passing, confidence or defensive intelligence to play the Pirlo role either.

• Advertisement

Yes, Carrick's touch isn't as good as Cleverley's. However Cleverley doesn't have the passing, confidence or defensive intelligence to play the Pirlo role either.

please, april fools day was yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

So Carrick doesn't have as good first touch as a player who is once in a lifetime and among the top 10 ever in his position. It must be terrible. May as well just give back that CL and all the league titles with him in there and the last 2 results against teams known for their pressing must have been flukes. The team were doing so well without him in that position...

Liam O wrote: »
    So Carrick doesn't have as good first touch as a player who is once in a lifetime and among the top 10 ever in his position. It must be terrible. May as well just give back that CL and all the league titles with him in there and the last 2 results against teams known for their pressing must have been flukes. The team were doing so well without him in that position...

StrawMan.jpg

The medals he's won or hasn't won has no bearing on his ability to trap a ball.

His ability to trap a ball is very very good.

I can see arguments against his dribbling or close control under pressure - but his first touch is very good. I don't understand how people can say otherwise.

Well the medals hes won or hasn't has no bearing on his dribbling either. Or his shooting. Or whether he prefers daddy or chips.

The point about the strawman stands. Either debate the point or don't. Posting about his medals is nonsense and demonstrates a poster has no comeback.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement