Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Montroseee wrote: »
    Win today and top 4 is all but secured.

Wouldn't say that now, spurs are still in touching distance if they win but I do think pool are out of it if we win.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Really have to push on now against Villa and get the win,

Utd win,Pool,Spurs and Southampton all lose,not asking for much :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

RobertKK wrote: »
    9 point gap equivalent if you include goal difference.

Why do people always say this? If anything, it would be 8.5 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

United XI: De Gea, Valencia, Jones, Rojo, Blind, Carrick, Herrera, Mata, Fellaini, Young, Rooney.

We go again lads

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lads, cut out the not-so-subtle stream discussion, and definitely don't be asking for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Why do people always say this? If anything, it would be 8.5 points.

Because it is, if the goal difference is big enough it doesn't matter if they ended up level on points, superior goal difference is equivalent in effect to having an extra point.

There are no half points in soccer :p sorry but had to say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Because it is, if the goal difference is big enough it doesn't matter if they ended up level on points, superior goal difference is equivalent in effect to having an extra point.

There are no half points in soccer :p sorry but had to say that.
    He's right though, you don't get gifted a point if you finish 1 point behind.
    Saying 0.5 though is probably very difficult for the average fan to wrap their heads around.

ElChe32 wrote: »
    United XI: De Gea, Valencia, Jones, Rojo, Blind, Carrick, Herrera, Mata, Fellaini, Young, Rooney.

We go again lads

Pity we don't have Smalling available but good to see Van Gaal looks to have really settled on his starting line up.

Gives confidence going into a match.

s.welstead wrote: »
    He's right though, you don't get gifted a point if you finish 1 point behind.
    Saying 0.5 though is probably very difficult for the average fan to wrap their heads around.

That is why I said "equivalent".

Given there are no half points, it is equivalent to a point. We were talking about ending on the same points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Love seeing Fellaini, Herrera and Carrick in the same team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Montroseee wrote: »
    Love seeing Fellaini, Herrera and Carrick in the same team.

No mention of mata :( , good god man I should slap you with my dueling glove

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

There are no points for goal difference or goals scored either.

Given there are no half points, it is equivalent to a point. We were talking about ending on the same points.

It isnt equilavent, and it isnt complicated. A point is worth an infinity of positive goal difference. GD is an iota, nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Seriously you're saying there's no half points but trying to argue for a point for goal difference.
    The gap is 8 points, simple as. It's not equivalent to 9 because we might finish level. It's 8 with an advantage of goal difference which may come into affect. So saying something like 8.5 makes a little more sense.

Hococop wrote: »
    No mention of mata :( , good god man I should slap you with my dueling glove

I just love seeing Mata scoring, so hopefully more again today. When he was at Chelsea I wanted him at United, thought maybe he would come in summer 2013, Then thought it would never happen.
    Then the brilliant Moyes bought him.., thank you Moyes for Fellaini and Mata and....

...he is doing great at Real Sociedad, from near bottom of the table when he took over, he has the team in 9th place.

Nice, Liverpool lowering the goal difference :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

when will di maria be back?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

He isn't injured.

He is on the bench today

He is on the bench today

sorry how did i miss him??? my bad :P

• Advertisement

There are no points for goal difference or goals scored either.

I didn't say there was.
    It isnt equilavent, and it isnt complicated. A point is worth an infinity of positive goal difference. GD is an iota, nothing more.

Yes a point from a draw is worth everything, GD means nothing unless you lose a Premier league title because of it...
    s.welstead wrote: »
    Seriously you're saying there's no half points but trying to argue for a point for goal difference.
    The gap is 8 points, simple as. It's not equivalent to 9 because we might finish level. It's 8 with an advantage of goal difference which may come into affect. So saying something like 8.5 makes a little more sense.

United lost a premier league title due to goal difference, GD can mean the difference between CL football or winning a league title.
    8 goals extra for City was worth the same as a point on the final day of the 2012 season, we didn't get a draw for the title on 89 points each.
    Goal difference was a 1-0 win for city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

8 goals extra for City was worth the same as a point on the final day of the 2012 season, we didn't get a draw for the title on 89 points each.

It wasn't the same as a point, because if United had finished on 90 points, City would have lost. If you want to do this analogy, it only makes sense if you call it half a point.

hahaha Pool are out of it. Top 4 is ours. We should be aiming for 2nd. Hopefully we can take over city today.

It wasn't the same as a point, because if United had finished on 90 points, City would have lost. If you want to do this analogy, it only makes sense if you call it half a point.

That is changing the goal posts, talking about being level on points not about having a point more or less.

It is worth nothing if GD is not relevant. So if level you could say between the two level teams it is whatever number you want in terms of putting one team above the team they are level with.

I know what you are saying about a half point, but you could also say .99 of a point...I choose 1 point only in relation to the two teams involved and not others around in terms of placing one team above another.

We can all argue we are right on this, we all place the team with a better GD above the other team one is level with, but we don't look at other teams on different points total when placing the team in the league.

Now for hopefully a United win...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

hahaha Pool are out of it. Top 4 is ours. We should be aiming for 2nd. Hopefully we can take over city today.

Can you at least wait until we are more than 5 points clear of them?

I didn't say there was.

Yes a point from a draw is worth everything, GD means nothing unless you lose a Premier league title because of it...

United lost a premier league title due to goal difference, GD can mean the difference between CL football or winning a league title.
    Goal difference was a 1-0 win for city.

They could have had as many goals as they wanted if we haad finished one point ahead of their total. Goal difference is worth a faction of a point if you want to go down that route.

This is the same bs you here in GAA about a wide being as good as a point.

• Advertisement

I would rather win our game today and have City out of the way before saying that.
    Beat both and it would be looking very good.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Can you at least wait until we are more than 5 points clear of them?

Na man. I'm too excited. Love seeing Liverpool f**k things up haha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

irishfeen wrote: »
    Just a heads up on the Villa game - not on Irish/UK TV but is live on Fox Sport Italia, C+ Futbol Esp and C+ Sport France .. All in glorious HD :)
    The game being broadcast across the continent on the following stations..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

If we can win today then one would have to think that's top 4 secured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Rojo in for Smalling, rest of the team the same.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Enough is enough, next stream or workaround request is getting carded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Hopefully I dont see Val being in the first team next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Watching on tsn2...

Cause I live in Canada :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Headshot wrote: »
    Hopefully I dont see Val being in the first team next season

He's actually putting in some decent crosses today to be fair to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

get the **** in

Love watching us at the moment

Sexy football

Herrera is the gift that keeps on giving.
    Ander Herrera has now scored four league goals from four shots on target this season. [via @WhoScored]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Herrera is the gift that keeps on giving.

Like a book of one for all gift vouchers? Hmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I wouldn't swap Herrera for any midfielder in the league he is unreal.

Also Young should spend all his time practicing crosses he keeps giving it to Guzan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I wouldn't swap Herrera for any midfielder in the league he is unreal.

Also Young and Valencia should spend all their time practicing crosses.

fyp :pac:

Herrera! That's all I need to say!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Happy with today. It's awesome having such a good midfield and Herrera has been great. Another assist for DiMaria. Rooney still needs replacing imo; it's too much of a habit that he disappears for long periods and then has one moment of magic. Need more consistancy. De Gea had a howler for the goal.

But overall, the total possession philosophy has really taken shape now. Awesome to be in 3rd and 8 clear of 5th now. Top 4 becoming more and more solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

5 goals now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Good stuff, Southampton and Liverpool losing, great day all round :D

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

It's feckin marvelous to have a goal scoring midfielder at the club again.

Herrera - 2 shots, 2 goals, 1 key pass, 108 touches, 95.9% passing accuracy.

Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Carrick was mildly shocking today, and we're atrocious at setpieces. But we've a big game to look forward to now after today at least.

Great day,Utd get the win,

Pool lose and Southampton lose

Over to you now Burnley and Crystal Palace and do a job on Spurs and City :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

The Mata Herrera bromance is a joy to behold. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement