Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

RVP will only last another year or so so he will need replacing, Bale is wishful thinking at this stage, paying so much for him and it not working out would be worse than Di Maria and Falcao combined. Maybe an offer for Benzema for €35m would be better value.

I would like an offer made on Theo Walcott too as he could be a nice fit up front with Rooney. Would also like to see Coleman finally in a United Shirt giving us an Irishman to cheer on again after so long without one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Ronaldo has scored 5 today :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

9-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Bale got one and Benzema got two also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Id like to see two Germans signing this summer hummels and khedira would be perfect for defence and midfield I think khedira would suit our play perfectly in carricks position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

He's in decline though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Would much prefer Clyne over Coleman. Younger and more potential.

He's in decline though :pac:

Should of got seven sure he is after loosing his touch :)

KH25 wrote: »

And he English so he is the best in the world :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I think I still want Coleman over Clyne. Going forward Coleman is a beast. Nice and established too which we need, can't be relying on players who'll hopefully improve more over time in every position.

Wigan 2.0 have had a **** season, so he may be pining for a move away, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

jayo26 wrote: »
    Id like to see two Germans signing this summer hummels and khedira would be perfect for defence and midfield I think khedira would suit our play perfectly in carricks position.

Not sure hes anywhere near as good as Carrick. He lacks discipline and LVG didnt want him previously (at Bayern).

He'll end up back in Germany imo.

Wonder why Utd haven't signed any Germans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Wonder why Utd haven't signed any Germans?

Uwe Rosler's grandad did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

The problem with Nani is you need to persevere with him for a lot of games before he starts finding form, he is pretty much useless used as a squad player

Not true. He's no different to most players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Let's keep one mans delusion and war out of this one.

Would be delighted to sign few Germans.

Let's keep one mans delusion and war out of this one.

Would be delighted to sign few Germans.

That was meant in humour, I've got nowt against them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

He could be the next Luke Shaw.

I'd prefer Coleman, if you're going to overrate someone because of their nationality it might as well be one of your own. :)

Denis Irwin was an unremarkable player before he joined Utd so I'd have a sentimental hope a move to Utd could similarly inspire Coleman to become something special.

Korat wrote: »

I'd prefer Coleman, if you're going to overrate someone because of their nationality it might as well be one of your own. :)

Denis Irwin was an unremarkable player before he joined Utd so I'd have a sentimental hope a move to Utd could similarly inspire Coleman to become something special.

It's a big transfer window for Coleman,take the leap and move to a bigger club or commit to Everton & wonder what might have been.

I dunno. With Coleman I just think he's reached his potential and I don't think he's really much better than Raf aside from the injury record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Start Nani and Fellaini next season and throw in Di Maria too. Watch the haters roll in as United romp to a league win.

In all seriousness though. The squad looks very good. Add Depay and a new RB and I'd say it's good enough to challenge. I don't think CB is as big a problem position as others and think Evans and Rojo can be the ball playing defenders LVG wants. He'll probably spunk 30 odd million on someone but as far as back up defenders go you could do a lot worse than Smalling and Jones.

I can obviously see the other argument but all 4 of the senior CBs have looked good with a bit of fitness behind them this season, getting injured a lot less too. Probably too risky to go another season with them but I definitely don't think it's as bad back there as some do and would love to start next season with Shaw at LB, Rojo and Evans beside a new RB.

As for midfield I think it should be prospects and cover signed. Fellaini and Herrera have proven themselves against some of the best in the league. The problem is that Carrick is aging and there's certain games where Blind doesn't really assert himself. De Jong on a free would solve this problem nicely for a season or two and then a 20 odd year old midfielder to compete with Fellaini and Herrera would be nice with Di Maria also capable of playing there. If Depay is signed that leaves him, Di Maria, Mata, Nani, Young and Januzaj as the wingers which isn't bad at all tbh and easy enough to keep happy too. Still might be one short though.

What happens up front will define next season imo. The team has been unbalanced for 2 seasons now because of too many cooks up there. I'd love to see Falcao stay but that ship has sailed clearly and think it's time for RVP to leave too. That leaves Rooney and Wilson so someone is probably needed but again it's hard to pinpoint just what. Is another 30 odd million player happy to sit on the bench? Mata and Di Maria can play the 10 very well so there's only really one spot each game for a striker and I think faith in Wilson would be nice to see. Hard to judge what to do up there.

My problem is the amount of people saying sign another 5 or 6 players when only 3 maximum should be signed imo. Don't need another slow start as I think Arsenal are going to be gung ho for the league next season.

I don't think he's really much better than Raf aside from the injury record.

That's a cruel assessment of Coleman. Rafael is an ill disciplined headless chicken. It's no surprise to me that Van Gaal hasn't risked him even when short of numbers in defence.

Imo Coleman is better than anything we currently have in that position and I'd have faith than as an Irishman he can adapt and improve his game better than an entitled English teenager or even someone like Dani Alves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Spuds drew. Another result gone our way.

What a weekend for us as to consolidating our top four position, saints and spurs and pool all dropped points this weekend we are 8 points ahead of 5th place and only thing that could make it better would be a palace victory against city, happy out I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Spurs drew, Liverpool lost, Southampton lost and we won............

5c514680b497feb52be18568efa9386bca4fbc3c96f40a54641410a16edf63d7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Weird, repost! Great weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

That's a cruel assessment of Coleman. Rafael is an ill disciplined headless chicken. It's no surprise to me that Van Gaal hasn't risked him even when short of numbers in defence.

That's a cruel assessment of Rafael. The guy has had about 15-20 yellows and one red in four seasons. If you want a stick to beat him with the use his injury record. Raf is a committed player but calling him headless is just lazy and IMO harps back to the Bayern sending off a few years ago.

duffman13 wrote: »
    That's a cruel assessment of Rafael. The guy has had about 15-20 yellows and one red in four seasons. If you want a stick to beat him with the use his injury record. Raf is a committed player but calling him headless is just lazy and IMO harps back to the Bayern sending off a few years ago.

Pretty much what I was going to say. I have no issue with Coleman, but I do think there's a big element of 'sign him because he's Irish', which is simply not a good reason to sign someone. If he was to be signed then I would support him and hope he kicked on for United, but I would personally prefer to sign Clyne ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Basically now 9 points clear of 5th (taking into account GD)

CB1aiYjUAAA9QAf.jpg

with the following 7 games to play - (Basically 12 points to CL safety assuming Liverpool/Spurs win remaining 7 games)

Manchester City (H)
    Chelsea (A)
    Everton (A)
    West Brom (H)
    Crystal Palace (A)
    Arsenal (H)
    Hull (A)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Anybody else not hugely confident yet? That run-in is tough with only West Brom and Hull as bankers imo.

If we beat City, it will feel a lot more comfortable, but that's a big ask.

Just have ro remember that Pool and Spurs almost certainly won't win their next 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Anybody else not hugely confident yet? That run-in is tough with only West Brom and Hull as bankers imo.

Just have ro remember that Pool and Spurs almost certainly won't win their next 7

If we were playing like we were in the first half of the season then no, i'd have no confidence, but the way the team are playing right now, i'm extremely confident, we're the in form team and playing some sexy stuff

If ya cant be confident after the last month then you never will be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I reckon a win v Man City is due, and coming. Pellegrini is not the smartest tactically.

Certainly not a done deal yet, anything from City and Chelsea and I think we're home and dry - beat city next week and I think that's that... Liverpool and Spurs wouldn't have the heart to chase us down from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Im the most confident ive been in a long time i think we are well capable of taking max points from most of those games and maybe a point from chelsea as long as we play like we did against pool and spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Manchester City (H)
    Chelsea (A)
    Everton (A)
    West Brom (H)
    Crystal Palace (A)
    Arsenal (H)
    Hull (A)

The above is in no way an easy run in. That being said, if we can continue to perform like we have done in the last 3 games we should really have enough to stay in the top 4.

A win against City at OT would be an incredible start :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

I'd be over the moon with 4 points or 6 from next two games. I do fear we will need 9 from 9 in following three(very possible) if we dont take at least 3 points from next two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I don't even have a vague doubt about top 4 at this stage tbh.

Liverpool still play Chelsea and Spurs play City so that's an extra bit of insurance too - I don't think Pool/Spurs on current form are capable of winning all 7 matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

I don't even have a vague doubt about top 4 at this stage tbh.

I didnt really have any confidence of getting top four till the liverpool game since that i wouldnt fear anyone.

The way Utd have played this season has often been worse than under Moyes. I find it hard to be confident of winning on luck alone but I'll take it when it comes.

Van Gaal's gift is that the style he sets his team out in is so awkward to play against it disrupts the other teams game plan and somehow in that confusion Utd have won a lot of games.

Three or more points from the next two games would leave me much happier that there's more method than madness at play this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

I have a little bit of nerves still regarding top four. Feels good tho, it's nice to be heading in the right direction. Can't wait for Sunday now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

The way Utd have played this season has often been worse than under Moyes. I find it hard to be confident of winning on luck alone but I'll take it when it comes.

Van Gaal's gift is that the style he sets his team out in is so awkward to play against it disrupts the other teams game plan and somehow in that confusion Utd have won a lot of games.

Three or more points from the next two games would leave me much happier that there's more method than madness at play this season.

??? And i thought it was because we were playing well, not confusing the opposition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I think the way to look at is that 10 points from the last 7 will get us top 4. That would mean Pool would need 18 points from 21 and a big turn around in GD.

A point against City will go a long way towards that.

scudzilla wrote: »
    ??? And i thought it was because we were playing well, not confusing the opposition

You'll be falling off your chair if we eventually play to the potential even Van Gaal thinks we haven't reached yet so. :)

Believe in better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Pretty much what I was going to say. I have no issue with Coleman, but I do think there's a big element of 'sign him because he's Irish', which is simply not a good reason to sign someone. If he was to be signed then I would support him and hope he kicked on for United, but I would personally prefer to sign Clyne ahead of him.

I really like Coleman and Clyne, I don't see either currently as a huge upgrade on Raf (bar injuries). Coleman is more established and probably a bit cheaper so I'd tend to go for him over Clyne. There is very little difference between the three in terms of quality IMO.

Personally I think Coleman would suit LVGs system, going forward he is not just pace, he gets in great positions for a rb and has an end product, chips in with a few goals aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Hard to believe Rooneys goal is not even in the top 2 this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

My predictions for what it's worth:

Manchester City (H) 2-1
    Chelsea (A) 1-1
    Everton (A) 1-2
    West Brom (H) 2-0
    Crystal Palace (A) 0-1
    Arsenal (H) 3-1
    Hull (A) 0-3

I'm very much on the positive couch today. United to finish 2nd. Anyone else fancy sticking up their predictions for the craic.

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    My predictions for what it's worth:

Manchester City (H) 2-1
    Chelsea (A) 1-1
    Everton (A) 0-2
    West Brom (H) 2-0
    Crystal Palace (A) 0-1
    Arsenal (H) 3-1
    Hull (A) 0-3

I'm very much on the positive couch today. United to finish 2nd. Anyone else fancy sticking up their predictions for the craic.
    Jesus Christ that is positivity..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

United should be going for the jugular against City, been a lot better than them in recent weeks and they've really taken their foot off the pedal.

#teamFellaini

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Liam O wrote: »
    United should be going for the jugular against City, been a lot better than them in recent weeks and they've really taken their foot off the pedal.

#teamFellaini

Chelsea are there for the taking too. Seems like they are just turning up to play out the rest of the season, very unimpressive for a while now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement