Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

andyman wrote: »
    One thing I want to bring up from last year.

I notice everyone who said we shouldn't 'waste' 40m on Juan Mata when we needed players in other positions have gone into hiding. Especially considering any United fan worth their salt could see that if a player like him was available then we absolutely had to sign him.

I'm not talking about boardsies but more the pundits. Have to give Moyes the credit where it's due on that one. Turned out to be an excellent signing now that we've somewhere to play him which utilises all if his qualities.

Love me some Juan.

Juan Two!

So what is it you want to hear? Or do you just want to pat yourself on the back for being so wise and prescient?

I was one who said Mata was a poor signing and all things considered I was right. We overpaid for a player surplus to requirements at his old club, he was a player in a position that we had loads of cover in and as such he did not address any of the real problems we had at the time. Further to that, he had very little impact on our performances and for the vast majority of his time at this club he could not even get into the team. Hell, even now there are a few that are still concerned about his position when Van Persie regains fitness, hardly the sign of an undroppable signing.

14 months later he has a good run of games and you want what, flagellation from those who pointed out the obvious at the time he was signed?

I NEVER once said Juan Mata was a bad player, but in January 2014 he was indeed a poor signing, and I'm happy to stand by that.

At least we don't have that '26 years without a title' thing to be slagged off about now! Pool will have gone 26 years this time next year since their last win!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

A weird sense of dread setting over me now. Nerves.

I'm thrilled to be heading into the City game ahead of them. The fact a draw would still see us in 3rd is good too.

I just don't want to set up for a fall or anything. But it's hard not to be looking upwards at the moment. Second is there for the taking now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

andyman wrote: »
    One thing I want to bring up from last year.

I notice everyone who said we shouldn't 'waste' 40m on Juan Mata when we needed players in other positions have gone into hiding. Especially considering any United fan worth their salt could see that if a player like him was available then we absolutely had to sign him.

I'm not talking about boardsies but more the pundits. Have to give Moyes the credit where it's due on that one. Turned out to be an excellent signing now that we've somewhere to play him which utilises all if his qualities.

Love me some Juan.

Juan Two!

Pat yourself on the back. Any united fan worth their salt? He's a fantastic player, was he the ideal player to spend 40 million on in January when we were awful in CM last year? No

He's a fantastic addition to the team but the point still stands there were other pivotal areas on the team that needed addressing, I don't think any united fan said it was a bad signing, just not a priority right then in January 14.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    A weird sense of dread setting over me now. Nerves.

I'm thrilled to be heading into the City game ahead of them. The fact a draw would still see us in 3rd is good too.

I just don't want to set up for a fall or anything. But it's hard not to be looking upwards at the moment. Second is there for the taking now.

My feelings too, I'm delighted City have lost but also feel Sunday might have been a bit "easier" if they had won, pressure is all on them at the moment though which makes it easier for us, I suppose the over riding feeling for me at the moment is I wanted top 4 only 3 weeks ago. After the run of results this looks fairly nailed on and anything else is a bonus. I think we can kick on however I'm still cautious in the post Fergie era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I'm still nervous it'll all fall apart again if he starts trying to get RVP back into the team. Would be nice to go into the Summer with a real positive end of season. Must make signings easier to know the team is going forward finally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

City to be 1-0 up at half time, Rooney to score in the 58min and Falcao to dink one in ant the end of the game.

King Lui and Giggs to Hug at the final whistle

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Paper talk that Van Persie will be moved on in the summer, back to the Netherlands, with Cavani being lined up as his replacement.

At this stage any striker coming in is a bit weird if Rooney is staying up top. Cavani would be great but is it gonna mess Rooney around again.

• Advertisement

GSPfan wrote: »
    At this stage any striker coming in is a bit weird if Rooney is staying up top. Cavani would be great but is it gonna mess Rooney around again.

Not really if RVP and Falcao are gone, we also dont know if Hernandez is coming back.

And

Hopefully we have Champions League next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

duffman13 wrote: »
    Pat yourself on the back. Any united fan worth their salt? He's a fantastic player, was he the ideal player to spend 40 million on in January when we were awful in CM last year? No

He's a fantastic addition to the team but the point still stands there were other pivotal areas on the team that needed addressing, I don't think any united fan said it was a bad signing, just not a priority right then in January 14.

Lads he wasn't saying I told you so or he didn't mention what fans were saying he was directing it at pundits who said he wasn't the right signing for united and some did say he wouldn't fit in at united and some did say,he wasn't value for money,
    maybe united needed players in other positions but its similar to this winter we needed a defender badly but they weren't available that would improve the team the way the manager wanted, so his point is valid that pundits did say Mata wasn't a united type player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

ElChe32 wrote: »
    All aboard the Positivity Train

abd.gif

jayo26 wrote: »
    Lads he wasn't saying I told you so or he didn't mention what fans were saying he was directing it at pundits who said he wasn't the right signing for united and some did say he wouldn't fit in at united and some did say,he wasn't value for money,
    maybe united needed players in other positions but its similar to this winter we needed a defender badly but they weren't available that would improve the team the way the manager wanted, so his point is valid that pundits did say Mata wasn't a united type player.

Yeah Gary Neville has gone kind of quiet with that argument.

Cavani could play on the left side of a 4-3-3

Cavani - Rooney - Mata

Then you have the stuff from Spain...Spurs to make an £18.3 million bid for Mata. So believable. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Speaking of Moyes... has anybody got the latest stats on how his time at United compares to LvG's time at United after the same amount of games currently played?

It's so odd, a couple of months ago I was being kept up to date weekly but for some strange reason those updates have stopped.

So if anybody has some sort of idea, maybe you could post the results along with a picture of Moyes taking off an LvG mask or something, they usually came accompanied with a nice pic.

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »

Perhaps he could, doesn't mean he should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I think if Cavani moved to a new club and ended up playing out wide again, his head might explode.

I think that the "I play centrally, right?" discussion is front and centre of any negotiations his agent has with any suitors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,362 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Cavani - Rooney - Mata

Then you have the stuff from Spain...Spurs to make an £18.3 million bid for Mata. So believable. :pac:

He could play there, but a big part of the reason he has been unhappy at PSG is that he is being played there - when his preference is to play centrally. Indeed - it was reported in France that he didn't push for a move in the summer just gone because PSG/Blanc assured him he would play more centrally this season; which hasn't really happened.

Would seem odd to leave a club because you don't want to play wide in attack, to join a club where you will play wide in attack. I would hardly say money would be his motivation either as he will be on big bucks at PSG as it is.

Kirby wrote: »
    I think if Cavani moved to a new club and ended up playing out wide again, his head might explode.

I think that the "I play centrally, right?" discussion is front and centre of any negotiations his agent has with any suitors.

"Yes, Right."

"Centre, right?"

"Right"

"Centrally, correct?

"Right"....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Cavani - Rooney - Mata

Ssssshhhhhhh I said that here 2 weeks ago and got shot down straight away

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    Ssssshhhhhhh I said that here 2 weeks ago and got shot down straight away

Because he doesn't like playing there - and isn't all that much of a winger.

Being able to play someone in a position doesn't mean we should.

Rooney should not be played in central midfield. Valencia should not be played at right back. Di Maria should not be played up front. Cavani should not be played as a winger.

Speaking of Moyes... has anybody got the latest stats on how his time at United compares to LvG's time at United after the same amount of games currently played?

It's so odd, a couple of months ago I was being kept up to date weekly but for some strange reason those updates have stopped.

So if anybody has some sort of idea, maybe you could post the results along with a picture of Moyes taking off an LvG mask or something, they usually came accompanied with a nice pic.

344319.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/manchester-united-supporters-question-referee-5469559

:D Should have sent off Kompany, always plays excellent game against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

07-04-14 Pos: 7 Pld: 33 W-D-L: 17-6-10 GD: 18 Pts: 57 Win%: 51.5
    26-03-14 Pos: 7 Pld: 31 W-D-L: 15-6-10 GD: 11 Pts: 51 Win%: 48.4
    07-04-15 Pos: 3 Pld: 31 W-D-L: 18-8-5 GD: 27 Pts: 62 Win%: 58.1

344320.jpg

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/manchester-united-supporters-question-referee-5469559

:D Should have sent off Kompany, always plays excellent game against us.

Hart sticks his head on him, Kompany grabs at him - NOTHING.

Di maria tugs a piece of his top - OFF YOU GO!

The FA should seriously be questioning him on it - to have such massive inconsistencies in his decision making is inexcusable.

I think it would be a widespread opinion that Michael Oliver is a bad referee.

Sin bins should be introduced into football. A yellow card should be a 10 minute sin bin offence. That would stop everyones antics very quickly. No more deliberately taking a booking cause you know its a yellow card at most. No more squaring up to the ref to argue in his face cause you could have 2 or 3 players off for 10 minutes. No more diving for peno's. Start Sin Binning players and it'll all stop very quickly.

I think it would be a widespread opinion that Michael Oliver is a bad referee.

Sin bins should be introduced into football. A yellow card should be a 10 minute sin bin offence. That would stop everyones antics very quickly. No more deliberately taking a booking cause you know its a yellow card at most. No more squaring up to the ref to argue in his face cause you could have 2 or 3 players off for 10 minutes. No more diving for peno's. Start Sin Binning players and it'll all stop very quickly.

Surely this would lead to far more diving, not less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

If RVP goes, Chico goes and Falcao isn't signed then we're obviously going to need someone to be backup or rotate with Rooney up front. Cavani would suit the formation we play in that he can do what Rooney does in terms of holding the ball up top and bring other players into play well with his back to goal. If we get CL football next year (and I'm fairly confident we will) there'll be more opportunities for whoever we bring in so the workload could be split fairly evenly with the odd occasion of playing the two up front together if needs be. Although if Wilson heads out on loan next season - which he should - it'll be interesting to see what we do because we'll hardly go into the season with just Rooney and RVP/Cavani or whoever. Dybala could be targeted as someone who plays wide right at times too.

Other than that we'll more than likely sign Depay on the wing although that'd leave us with Depay and Di Maria on one side and Mata playing on the right as a left footer so unless Nani returns to the squad or Depay/Di Maria play as inverted wingers then we're a bit unbalanced.

Hummels too will more than likely move and wouldn't be overly concerned about his form the past year. Before that he was excellent and the entire Dortmund side suffered a drop in form which had to happen some time.

So that leaves CM and RB as areas we'll probably improve on. Can't see us going after Strootman with his injury problems. Their valuation of him would be a long way from ours I'd imagine. Chances are if we go after Pogba that City/Madrid will look to blow us out of the water with an offer and the former will more than likely need someone in his mould because I can see Yaya heading off this year. Would love us to go after Nainggolan from Roma and was delighted to see him linked with us but that seems to have quietened a fair bit.

So in summary, I haven't a clue really who will come in bar Hummels and maybe Clyne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Big 6? Big four more like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

re:adidas shirt, looks like that black number posted here yesterday, seems like it's the one alrite

http://www.footyheadlines.com/2015/03/adidas-manchester-united-15-16-kit.html?m=1

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Big 6? Big four more like.

Big 1 tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The FA should seriously be questioning him on it - to have such massive inconsistencies in his decision making is inexcusable.
    Michael Oliver really does have a face you want to slap.

of our current starting 11, what players do ye think will be dropped in favour of new players come next season if we qualify for champions league??

actually tough one to call, but I would imagine Young, Fellaini, perhaps Valencia and one of jones/smalling/rojo/evans

of our current starting 11, what players do ye think will be dropped in favour of new players come next season if we qualify for champions league??

actually tough one to call, but I would imagine Young, Fellaini, perhaps Valencia and one of jones/smalling/rojo/evans
    De Gea

Rafael* Smalling Rojo*** Blind**

Carrick Herrera

Nani Mata Di Maria

Rooney

* hoping he will somehow get a run of games
    ** Shaw and Blind rotation and Blind can cover Carrick when needed.
    *** Hummels if we can sign him

Fellaini would be big miss as he was the one who creates lot of space for out attackers but hopefully we play more fluid game next season as they have enough time playing together.

Nani coming back would be massive.

With players like Depay, Fellaini, Valencia on the bench and Januzaj out on loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

I can see Valencia been rotated more as I think we'll sign a right back and Rafael will be on his bike.

I expect to see Young not start as many games as Di Maria settles into the side properly.

If we do sign Hummels I think Smalling might end up being a best fit as his partner. Evans might be moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

For DiMaria - "a piece of his top"

For Hart & Kompany - "at him / on him"

Maybe Oliver doesn't like people touching his top?

De Gea (or new keeper)
    New RB---New CB--Rojo--Shaw
    Carrick
    --Herrera/Fellaini--New CM
    Di Maria
    New Winger
    Rooney

Throughout the season it was obvious that we should have had Rooney right up front, Herrera in midfield and Mata acting as the linkman for everything. LVG finally stopped fucking about, picked the players in their correct positions and everything magically improved.

Why mention this? Because its obvious that Rafael is a better full back than Valencia. I have no doubt whatsoever that if LVG just picked Rafael and let him play we would hear far less talk about needing a new RB. That eventually it would be yet another example of "Of course it worked, it was the obvious thing to do".

Hopefully LVG cops onto this at some stage and we finally see the back of Antonio Valencia. (Though opposing full backs have been seeing plenty of his back for years now).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I still think United would have more points with Moyes in charge if that helps :o

Wouldn't have been such a shìt show at the start of the season anyway. I do like what LVG has done in recent weeks but you could argue with his treatment of certain players this season it kind of fell onto his lap with certain players being unavailable or whatever. I still think he has the wrong opinion on a lot of players in the squad by the way he throws little critisms in there and the Summer will interest me a lot. It must be remembered that Fellaini was out of the team and reportedly on the transfer list at the start of the season and Mata and Herrera out of the team more than in. Where would United be now without those 3?

Favourite music
    I don’t have a favourite but I like to listen to what David De Gea plays.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

De Gea (or new keeper)
    New RB---New CB--Rojo--Shaw
    Carrick
    --Herrera/Fellaini--New CM
    Di Maria
    New Winger
    Rooney

I would be thinking the same thing.
    Clyne,Hummels and Depay ,no idea who to expect in CM.

Liam O wrote: »
    It must be remembered that Fellaini was out of the team and reportedly on the transfer list at the start of the season and Mata and Herrera out of the team more than in. Where would United be now without those 3?

Somebody said yesterday that Felliani has been our best player this season, which I found that strange considering he couldn't get a game until the end of October, then was effectively dropped from the middle of December until the end of February. He has only been a regular again in the last five games, people really shouldn't get so carried away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,841 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Sin bins should be introduced into football. A yellow card should be a 10 minute sin bin offence.

We don't stop the clock so this would entice more time wasting.

If my team was down to 10 men for 10 minutes I'd waste time like a procrastinating 17-18 year old a month before the leaving cert

jayo26 wrote: »

OK so which pundit said he wasn't a united type player?

A lot where saying he wasn't what was needed as we're a lot of fans due to deficiencies in CM. I don't think they were wrong in that assessment.

I really like Mata but when we bought him it was like buying ice cream for dinner, great for dessert but not filling enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,841 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Anyone think City will sacrifice their 4-4-2 against us in the derby coming up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Under no circumstances should we be dropping Fellani/Herrera/Carrick in our midfield. Maybe Carrick if he needs the rest. We could use some back-up then if needed.

I like Young, but if we were to get someone like Bale I'd understand if he was dropped. The only area I see needed being strengthened is maybe CB & RB. Smalling has been our best defender IMO so I wouldn't begrudge him being paired with Hummels if indeed we do get him. Rojo either. Do you give Shaw more of a chance this season or do we find a ready made replacement now? I suppose that's the only question I can think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

DDG has been our best player this season. No question

Under no circumstances should we be dropping Fellani/Herrera/Carrick in our midfield. Maybe Carrick if he needs the rest. We could use some back-up then if needed.

I like Young, but if we were to get someone like Bale I'd understand if he was dropped. The only area I see needed being strengthened is maybe CB & RB. Smalling has been our best defender IMO so I wouldn't begrudge him being paired with Hummels if indeed we do get him. Rojo either. Do you give Shaw more of a chance this season or do we find a ready made replacement now? I suppose that's the only question I can think of.

if you are happy to be floating around the top 4 then yes keep them in the team, if you are looking to challenge for league and champions league then no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

if you are happy to be floating around the top 4 then yes keep them in the team, if you are looking to challenge for league and champions league then no

So if United want the same form they've shown the last 5 games the players that have played the last 5 games aren't good enough.

Logic.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement