Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Liam O wrote: »
    So if United want the same form they've shown the last 5 games the players that have played the last 5 games aren't good enough.

Logic.

no if you want to improve the starting 11 to compete with the likes of Chelsea in the league (who were shown up in Europe) or you want to win the champions league and compete with the like of Bayern, Barca, PSG or Real Madrid, you need to upgrade the players you already have

Logic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Trilla wrote: »
    We don't stop the clock so this would entice more time wasting.

If my team was down to 10 men for 10 minutes I'd waste time like a procrastinating 17-18 year old a month before the leaving cert

Ha, I know what you are saying but time wasting is another offence you can Sin Bin someone for if its that obvious. And if your team is behind would you be time wasting? Id love to see it trialled. It would punish players significantly without the harshness of sending players off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So if United want the same form they've shown the last 5 games the players that have played the last 5 games aren't good enough.

Logic.

There are many that still aren't even confident of beating City on Sunday, despite that good run of form. Does that not speak to the quality of the players?

It is perfectly logical to want to improve our current first 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

GSPfan wrote: »
    Ha, I know what you are saying but time wasting is another offence you can Sin Bin someone for if its that obvious.

Jesus you'd have 11 vs 7 in a matter of minutes so :p
    GSPfan wrote: »
    And if your team is behind would you be time wasting

Probably not but its not always the case that a player gets sent off when they're losing.

Not feasible imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

There are many that still aren't even confident of beating City on Sunday, despite that good run of form. Does that not speak to the quality of the players?

... No, not really.

It speaks to the fear people have developed having been defeated by City the last four times the teams have met in the league and the last three times at Old Trafford.

... No, not really.

It speaks to the fear people have developed having been defeated by City the last four times the teams have met in the league and the last three times at Old Trafford.

Don't get me wrong, I believe we do currently have the players to beat City. But I also believe that we can be a lot better and that that should be our aim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

bangkok wrote: »
    if you are happy to be floating around the top 4 then yes keep them in the team, if you are looking to challenge for league and champions league then no

Remind me who were our starting midfielders the last time we won the premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Trilla wrote: »
    Jesus you'd have 11 vs 7 in a matter of minutes so.

Exactly. How much fun would that be the first time it happens. 10 minutes of pure mentalness. Then the players come back on and Its back to normal but they are aware of how much damage their actions have done and not likely to do it again.

Blatent diving being a Sin Bin punishment would be great. Managers would be killing players for diving if that became a punishment.

Diving has almost no repercussions. Its mental that it hasn't been tackled sooner.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Remind me who were our starting midfielders the last time we won the premier league.

carrick scholes kagawa giggs Anderson cleverly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

So our midfield was worse but we won the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

And yet Carrick Herrera Mata Fellaini (and technically Anderson) is not good enough?

ShooterSF wrote: »
    And yet Carrick Herrera Mata Fellaini (and technically Anderson) is not good enough?

you see the other teams have got better since then and we also had Fergie........

Chelsea....Hazard, Fabregas, Matic, Willian, Cuadrado

Arsenal....Ozil, Sanchez,

Man City... Fernando, Fernandinho, Navas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

you see the other teams have got better since then and we also had Fergie........

Chelsea....Hazard, Fabregas, Matic, Willian, Cuadrado

Arsenal....Ozil, Sanchez,

Man City... Fernando, Fernandinho, Navas

None of those players hold a candle to Fellaini.

#WellDoneFellaini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I still think United would have more points with Moyes in charge if that helps :o

Wouldn't have been such a shìt show at the start of the season anyway. I do like what LVG has done in recent weeks but you could argue with his treatment of certain players this season it kind of fell onto his lap with certain players being unavailable or whatever. I still think he has the wrong opinion on a lot of players in the squad by the way he throws little critisms in there and the Summer will interest me a lot. It must be remembered that Fellaini was out of the team and reportedly on the transfer list at the start of the season and Mata and Herrera out of the team more than in. Where would United be now without those 3?

Reportedly on the transfer list - Fellaini himself has said that LVG has always backed him and that he only missed out games through illness and injury.

I don't want to get into a whole Moyes argument again but I can't understand how you reckon we would have been in better shape this year than last. Whatever about how bad we played at time this year, last year was dross with no direction at all. With the injuries we had this year Van Gaal had to chop and change his backs and formation because he clearly didn't trust his backs to go 2 CB's. That was probably his biggest mistake and Mitch called it early - not bringing in another CB but he may not have had many available options given our position.

He realised that wasn't working and changed it when players came back to fitness. And the most recent change to the 4-3-3 has been with the majority of the squad fit bar RVP. That's the way he's wanted to play but personnel and getting a feel for the league and opposition probably stalled that.

None of those players hold a candle to Fellaini.

#WellDoneFellaini

I presume you are messing?

Bangkok is just back in here trying to sell his 'Fellaini Out' juice, after taking two days off because no one wanted to buy it from him on Saturday night. It doesn't matter what bottle you put it into or how many times you change the labeling bangkok, it still tastes like piss and there isn't really a market for it at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Hart sticks his head on him, Kompany grabs at him - NOTHING.

Di maria tugs a piece of his top - OFF YOU GO!

The FA should seriously be questioning him on it - to have such massive inconsistencies in his decision making is inexcusable.

Nothing for this either....

stankratz wrote: »
    Bangkok is just back in here trying to sell his 'Fellaini Out' juice, after taking two days off because no one wanted to buy it from him on Saturday night. It doesn't matter what bottle you put it into or how many times you change the labeling bangkok, it still tastes like piss and there isn't really a market for it at the moment.

what are you on about "fellaini out juice", you would swear he was world class or something. He is a decent player having a decent season, nothing more nothing less. If you want to improve the starting 11 he would be one of the top 3 or 4 players in the team where you would be looking to upgrade, big deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

what are you on about "fellaini out juice", you would swear he was world class or something. He is a decent player having a decent season, nothing more nothing less. If you want to improve the starting 11 he would be one of the top 3 or 4 players in the team where you would be looking to upgrade, big deal

No, he is one of the players you would be looking to change.

I would put it forward that the majority on here wouldnt.

Also decent - world class. There are levels in between both you know.

Fellaini is good enough to be in a league winning team imo.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »

that your opinion and you are entitled to it, but until he has a league medal around his neck I wont believe it until I see it. 4 goals 2 assists in the league in 2 seasons is not the standard im looking for im afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

For the first time since November 23, 2013 United sit above Manchester City in the Premier League after having played the same number of games

Amazing Stat!

that your opinion and you are entitled to it, but until he has a league medal around his neck I wont believe it until I see it. 4 goals 2 assists in the league in 2 seasons is not the standard im looking for im afraid

Can you not judge a player by his performances on the field rather than stats?

Your favourite player Carrick has 2 goals in the last 2 seasons? Want rid of him?

He has averaged less than 2 goals a season in his Utd career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

stankratz wrote: »

This made me laugh, hard.

Can you not judge a player by his performances on the field rather than stats?

Your favourite player Carrick has 2 goals in the last 2 seasons? Want rid of him?

He has averaged less than 2 goals a season in his Utd career.

carrick is a defensive midfielder, fellaini is an attacking midfielder and has also played some games up front

also carrick has been voted united player of the season before, fellaini hasn't even won a player of the month

#welldonefellaini

carrick is a defensive midfielder, fellaini is an attacking midfielder and has also played some games up front

Fellaini could have scrored 10 goals and had 10 assists this season and you still wouldnt value him.

You dont rate him. we get it, but you insist on constantly bringing it up while ignoring peoples questions about his performances when he has been outstanding. You havent analysed any of his match performances after they have taken place and have just spun the line " hes crap" etc and " 2 goals in 2.."

I think you should consider clearing any prejudice you may have in your mind, watch him over the next few games and try and see what he does and doesnt contribute to the team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Fellaini could have scrored 10 goals and had 10 assists this season and you still wouldnt value him.

You dont rate him. we get it, but you insist on constantly bringing it up while ignoring peoples questions about his performances when he has been outstanding. You havent analysed any of his match performances after they have taken place and have just spun the line " hes crap" etc and " 2 goals in 2.."

I think you should consider clearing any prejudice you may have in your mind, watch him over the next few games and try and see what he does and doesnt contribute to the team.

Trying to get through to bangkok

dead-horse.gif

I'm talking about how most of your posts of late are built on the foundation of getting Fellaini out. I'm not saying he is world class, never have, or that the future of United's success rests on his shoulders, just that your constant deriding of him despite a major upturn in his game is pathetic. This last month, you would give it a day or 2 until all of the goodwill over our victories against Spurs, Liverpool and Villa settled down in the thread, and then reappear with some kind of anti-Fellaini themed discourse. Not a mention of 'Great, we're 3rd!' or any kind of positivity, today you're just back to sell the same juice in a different labeled bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

CCAJiU_WYAAfLL9.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

CCAJiU_WYAAfLL9.jpg

Whoever put this together is an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Whoever put this together is an idiot.

Yup. The only way it would have any relevance is if the compared players had the highest stats of the league which they don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,370 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'd replace him. His passing and touch are only ok, though chest control is amazing. His defensive skill isn't great either, though he does put himself about. His tracking of runners and positioning for interceptions is average.

He has been very effective but his skill set is replaceable imo, more so than Carrick or Herrera.

I do reckon he will continue to prove himself an important squad member.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I'd replace him. His passing and touch are only ok, though chest control is amazing. His defensive skill isn't great either, though he does put himself about. His tracking of runners and positioning for interceptions is average.

He has been very effective but his skill set is replaceable imo, more so than Carrick or Herrera.

I do reckon he will continue to prove himself an important squad member.

His passing and touch have been top notch in recent weeks. He's rarely dispossessed, I really don't see what people are watching to come up with statements like that. Rooney in midfield is more in line with that comment tbh. When asked to play a defensive role he has shown great ability at times this season too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Clattenberg is the ref for the derby, so that's one controversy for sure then...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Clattenberg is the ref for the derby, so that's one controversy for sure then...
    :( .. Bad news!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Prob just paper talk but saw there that LVG fancies shipping out RVP in summer and replacing him with Cavani....as long as fee wasn't ridiculous it would not be a bad bit of work in the striker dept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,645 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Prob just paper talk but saw there that LVG fancies shipping out RVP in summer and replacing him with Cavani....as long as fee wasn't ridiculous it would not be a bad bit of work in the striker dept.

I'd hope its paper talk. RVP and Rooney were both competing for the position of striker, and with Rooney being the captain he must play. If Rooney doesn't play in his best position as striker, he will play in midfield, which has not been a good experience for anyone. The problem finally seems to have been solved with RVPs injury and with Rooney taking the chance to demonstrate why he will end his career as United's (and Englands) top scorer.

Trading RVP for Cavani just ensures the problem continues for another 2 years at least. We have a top class striker in Rooney already. Keep RVP as backup, or if hes not willing to accept being second choice then invest in a forward who will accept being second to Rooney, but can compete with Rooney.

The money that would have been spent on Cavani can be spent on a right back, a central midfielder to replace Carrick and a 1+ wingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Buying Cavani means Rooney back into midfield/attacking midfield. It's no coincidence we've started to flow a bit better now that Rooney isn't slowing things down in the middle of the pitch, at the end of the attacking moves is the only place Rooney should be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Sand wrote: »
    or if hes not willing to accept being second choice then invest in a forward who will accept being second to Rooney, but can compete with Rooney.
    Find me a striker as good as Rooney that would happily sit on the bench.

You wont, but I'd imagine there's some mid point in the spectrum between Rooney (who will be 30 years old next October) and Wilson (19 and still in potential bracket).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Maybe this is the summer Rooney goes :D

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Maybe this is the summer Rooney goes :D

Rooneys coming home :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Is there any point spending 40m+ on a striker to mess up the system that seems to be working best(Rooney as loan striker).
    If there is CL football next season and Falcao and RVP arent at the club a striker will need to be bought in.need to find a striker who is happy to be second choice to Rooney,they will still play plenty of games.

Rooney,Wilson and one more striker should be enough if the majority of games will be 433.Another option would be to buy someone who is comfortable as a striker or out wide.

yabadabado wrote: »
    .Another option would be to buy someone who is comfortable as a striker or out wide.

Yeah, Lacazette for example. Though getting him may prove challenging with all the attention on him. But if you're going to throw down ridiculous money on a player from a French club, Lacazette would come ahead of Cavani in the priorities for me.

Cavani can also play LW to no ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

If we buy Cavani and play him anywhere other than at #9 I'll pull my ****ing hair out. Buy Depay, Sterling or any other ****ing winger to play out wide, not a ****ing striker.

/rant over

Cavani can also play LW to no ??

He can play as a winger (his best season for PSG was on the right side of a front three - he's not done so well since switched to the left side), but I wouldn't be throwing down top dollar to bring Cavani in as a winger. Rooney can play in midfield, but he's a natural striker. I'm not knocking Cavani as a striker - if we needed one, I'd be as excited as anyone to get him. I was as excited as anyone about Falcao and that hasn't gone brilliantly. We have Rooney, so if Cavani was brought in it would be at great expense and detrimental overall to the team, with Rooney back in midfield.

At this point, its all paper talk. But swapping RVP for Cavani is going to take up a lot of the transfer budget, whilst leaving the actual priorities (Carrick 34 years old this summer, a journey man right winger playing as right back, and a left winger big on heart and effort, low on end product all in the first team) behind.

Does RVP actually want to leave? At his age, why not convince him to stay even with the proviso that he will be rotated with Rooney.

His passing and touch have been top notch in recent weeks. He's rarely dispossessed, I really don't see what people are watching to come up with statements like that. Rooney in midfield is more in line with that comment tbh. When asked to play a defensive role he has shown great ability at times this season too.

He was average v arsenal in the cup, excellent v spurs, his best game in a United shirt, he was only ok v Liverpool and against villa he was very bad. That is his recent games and if you think he was top notch in them 4 games then I don't know what games you were watching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

J. Marston wrote: »
    Nothing for this either....

Fair point in fairness, he has had three instances of player aggression this season, the one he acts on is the most timid from Di MAria....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Maybe I'm wrong but I think Hernandez would be ideal, if it does end up that rvp goes and we just hung on to Hernandez get him back into the team and playing regular and cameo appearances he would still get plus ten goals a season and is stil a great impact sub and is totally different then Rooney for a change of tactics.
    As was said earlier we will potentially have alot more games next season so there would be lots more to go around,
    I don't think we will get a much better all round player that would be as tollerent as Hernandez unless its someone that's just after the money and in the twilight of their career.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement