Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

jayo26 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm wrong but I think Hernandez would be ideal, if it does end up that rvp goes and we just hung on to Hernandez get him back into the team and playing regular and cameo appearances he would still get plus ten goals a season and is stil a great impact sub and is totally different then Rooney for a change of tactics.
    As was said earlier we will potentially have alot more games next season so there would be lots more to go around,
    I don't think we will get a much better all round player that would be as tollerent as Hernandez unless its someone that's just after the money and in the twilight of their career.

Definitely not ideal for him. Guy needs to go and be the focal point of a team at this stage as much as it saddens me to say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

J. Marston wrote: »
    Nothing for this either....

The ref obviously has his back to him, and just felt like it was an accident. WTF do you want him to do in that situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭bren2001

The ref obviously has his back to him, and just felt like it was an accident. WTF do you want him to do in that situation?

All the other instances mentioned are red cards but the Fabregas one is just the referee getting in his way and Cesc pushing him off him. Nothing to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Definitely not ideal for him. Guy needs to go and be the focal point of a team at this stage as much as it saddens me to say.

Yes but there is not many top teams he will be a focal point for, he would be get a mid table or near top of table team as a regular starter easily but if he stayed with united im sure he would still get a fair amount of games and still win trophies assuming we get back to winning ways next yearb:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Maybe I'm wrong but I think Hernandez would be ideal, if it does end up that rvp goes and we just hung on to Hernandez get him back into the team and playing regular and cameo appearances he would still get plus ten goals a season and is stil a great impact sub and is totally different then Rooney for a change of tactics.
    As was said earlier we will potentially have alot more games next season so there would be lots more to go around,
    I don't think we will get a much better all round player that would be as tollerent as Hernandez unless its someone that's just after the money and in the twilight of their career.

Only thing with Hernandez is that he's not suited to the role in that we need a striker that can hold up the ball, bring the midfield into play whilst also being a goalscoring threat and be able to play balls in behind to the LW and RW when the chances arise. I don't think Hernandez is suited to the lone striker in the way that Rooney and RVP are.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

bren2001 wrote: »
    All the other instances mentioned are red cards but the Fabregas one is just the referee getting in his way and Cesc pushing him off him. Nothing to it.
    I disagree, Fabregas does initially run into him by accident but there's clearly a push at the end there that was not accidental at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Only thing with Hernandez is that I don't think he'd suit that role in that we need a striker that can hold up the ball, bring the midfield into play whilst also being a goalscoring threat and be able to play balls in behind to the LW and RW when the chances arise. I don't think Hernandez is suited to the lone striker in the way that Rooney and RVP are.

He does offer an alternative to that role though, not every game is going to require that type of striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Hernandez is 100% not staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

2mwfoxw.jpg

Sky's the limit in our run-in lads .. whether the Hull match is live of course will be decide closer to the time... might be time to offer Setanta/BT the 30 day notice for cancellation for the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

irishfeen wrote: »
    2mwfoxw.jpg

Sky's the limit in our run-in lads .. whether the Hull match is live of course will be decide closer to the time.

Awesome stuff by sky. Can't wait for all our games. We're gonna win the title!!! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭bren2001

I disagree, Fabregas does initially run into him by accident but there's clearly a push at the end there that was not accidental at all.

There is a push and you could argue a push on anyone is a free and yellow but Cesc turns around and Oliver is in his face. Its natural enough to push someone off you. Would have been extremely harsh imo to give anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Awesome stuff by sky. Can't wait for all our games. We're gonna win the title!!! :D:D

Yeah, sure you are. Dream on buddy. Wishful thinking if I ever heard it.

Though the decider between you and us on the second last week should be great.

He does offer an alternative to that role though, not every game is going to require that type of striker.

Exactly some games we could be playing two up top ect with him and Wilson or whoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Is my memory wrong or have we not won against City in quite a while? Hopefully this weekend we can push on, in my eyes the biggest match in our run in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,645 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Tbh, none of those teams worry me. Man City are tottering, Chelsea are looking forward to their summer holidays already, and Arsenal are Arsenal.

If we strengthen in the right areas in the summer I'd feel quite positive about a title challenge next season. We've not been great this season but we're still third with a very good chance of finishing second. Apart from Chelsea, and maybe Arsenal, all those around us have not given any indication they're going to be a serious threat next year.

gosplan wrote: »
    Yeah, sure you are. Dream on buddy. Wishful thinking if I ever heard it.

Though the decider between you and us on the second last week should be great.

It'll be a great game that mate. I'm sure you guys enjoyed the city lost yesterday just as much as we did. Great weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Is my memory wrong or have we not won against City in quite a while? Hopefully this weekend we can push on, in my eyes the biggest match in our run in.

The away game in 12/13 season rvp freekick in extra time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Does RVP actually want to leave? At his age, why not convince him to stay even with the proviso that he will be rotated with Rooney.

I have no idea why you quoted my post there, I've no idea :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Does RVP actually want to leave? At his age, why not convince him to stay.

Coz he's been pish this season maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Coz he's been pish this season maybe?

He is also a proven top quality goalscorer. If we want a back up for Rooney, why not look to what we already have instead of taking big money risks on foreign players?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Selling RvP make absolutely no sense. The fee will be tiny and you lose a top class goal scorer.

Of course, its Van Persie so he will probably demand a move and act like a child until he gets his way. He has a history of that so United may be forced to let him go, even if they don't want to.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

RVP has had two very poor seasons now. Given Rooney's age, at the very least, we should be looking for a second striker who will replace Rooney.

Using RVP as a second striker is really just pushing the can down the road, hoping a player who has been poor for two seasons will somehow come good again. We can't just sit back and hope. We have the money now, let's get a player in we no can preform on a consistent basis....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,645 ✭✭✭✭Sand

That's a little unfair on RVP. He's always acted like a pro. He's demanding, he's very orientated on his own goals - he's a Dutch striker - but he's not a prima donna. If LvG can retain him with the understanding he is second choice, I'd say retain him. If RVP feels he still has a season or two at the top level and can find a team who agrees then I'd say sell him and bring in a competitor for Rooney and Wilson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Bit harsh on RvP to say he's had 2 poor seasons. Everybody gets a pass on last season for me and he hasn't been around for this new "settled" version of the team this season.

Be interesting to see how he would have performed in the last 3 games instead of Rooney who was piss poor in the Liverpool and Villa game bar his spectacular goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,651 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Rooney has been our best striker this season but that doesnt tell the whole story. I personally think he's been quite poor this season overall.

I have big doubts for him being an out and out striker for utd for seasons to come. I find it hard to place him in the team if utd sign a striker in summer. Im extremely happy to see Mata and Herrera starting so I dont want Rooney to replace any of them. That leaves Fell then. I wouldnt be his biggest fan but you can drop him at the moment

Where would Rooney fit in next season?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Would happily see Rooney dropped to the bench and a more consistent striker sought out.

There is a guy at Real Madrid I think would be good. Former player of ours.begining with R :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,651 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Would happily see Rooney dropped to the bench and a more consistent striker sought out.

There is a guy at Real Madrid I think would be good. Former player of ours.begining with R :pac:

I find it hard to see LVG drop the captain thou

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

I don't want us to sign a striker, a Rooney/Van Persie rotation with Wilson back-up is perfect for a 4-3-3.

Send Falcao back to Monaco and sell Hernandez. Talk of Cavani will either mean him playing on the left or Rooney playing in midfield, and that would be disastrous for our fluidity.

Bit harsh on RvP to say he's had 2 poor seasons. Everybody gets a pass on last season for me and he hasn't been around for this new "settled" version of the team this season.

Be interesting to see how he would have performed in the last 3 games instead of Rooney who was piss poor in the Liverpool and Villa game bar his spectacular goal.

Yeah he's just struggled with injuries the last two seasons. When he played last year he dug us out of a few holes and this year too he's got 10 in 24 games despite not playing well although no one was at the time. His goals also won us the game against Southampton and got us a draw v. Chelsea. Think he's a good player to have around the squad because he wants to win more than anything - it'd be daft to let him go for next to nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Costa apparently ruled out against us, good news.

diego costa will be out for our game vs chelsea. I think our defenders can handle remy and drogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

I will belive that when i see the chelsea team walk out onto the pitch wouldnt believe anything jose says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Costa apparently ruled out against us, good news.

Not a chance he'll miss that game. Jose mind games are easily read.

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »

Rojo will take none of Costa's shít if he does indeed start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

irishfeen wrote: »
    2mwfoxw.jpg

Sky's the limit in our run-in lads .. whether the Hull match is live of course will be decide closer to the time... might be time to offer Setanta/BT the 30 day notice for cancellation for the summer.

Good old Sky been shrewd as always, they know we will have the League won by then.

• Advertisement

nullzero wrote: »

I know Jose is Jose and he loves blowing smoke, but the fact he pulled up like he did the last day - I'd be almost certain this isn't bull. Been struggling all year with the same injury, comes on and lasts just over 10 mins before aggravating it again. If anything I'd hope he plays because he'll be so limited in training for the rest of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I know Jose is Jose and he loves blowing smoke, but the fact he pulled up like he did the last day - I'd be almost certain this isn't bull.

I agree, it doesn't look good for Costa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I brought Costa in and made him captain in FF so thank me lads, though be worried my other transfer this week was Mata in :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Just on the RVP thing, doesn't he have 10 league goals this season even considering he's missed a chunk of it? Form was dire from Christmas on but he has scored some important goals this season. Clearly still of use.

• Advertisement

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Just on the RVP thing, doesn't he have 10 league goals this season even considering he's missed a chunk of it? Form was dire from Christmas on but he has scored some important goals this season. Clearly still of use.

Or you could say that Rooney has been shunted back to midfield and out on wings ect and has still scored more then him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Bit Ot but can a person sign up to skysports for remainder of season,then cancel without penalty? Wouldnt mind having the channels for remaining games. Any skysports deals at the mo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

id say for certain costa is out 100% for us, only on 15mins and the way he pulled up suggests a grade 2 hamstring tear, so not a chance of him playing in 2 weeks. The game the following week v Arsenal is the game id would think he will be back for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Going into the City game feeling some bit confident is nice feeling to have back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Going into the City game feeling some bit confident is nice feeling to have back.

I have a feeling someone will get sent off to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Or you could say that Rooney has been shunted back to midfield and out on wings ect and has still scored more then him.

You could say that, but it would be dishonest since RVP has scored 0.83 times the amount of goals as Rooney and, conveniently, played 0.83 times as many minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    I have a feeling someone will get sent off to be honest

Any thoughts on who?

127767660.jpg?itok=roTppbA2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I hope Phil Jones is nowhere near the team. Rojo & Smalling should be ahead of him.

IF we can keep 11 players on the Pitch I think we can win, But there is always 1 who ****s it up

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I hope Phil Jones is nowhere near the team. Rojo & Smalling should be ahead of him.

Ah yes. Smalling

160982.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement