Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Team are looking happy and confident, all the pressure is on City. If anything, it's they who need to worry about sendings off this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

You could say that, but it would be dishonest since RVP has scored 0.83 times the amount of goals as Rooney and, conveniently, played 0.83 times as many minutes.

Yes but what percentage of rooneys games compaired to rvp have been up front in his favoured position, rvp was upfront for all his games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Team are looking happy and confident, all the pressure is on City. If anything, it's they who need to worry about sendings off this time around.

Agree I think city are the team under pressure this year they are playing poor and manager is under pressure and looking like getting the bullet in the summer no matter what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

its also a derby game so form goes out the window, it just up to which players preform on the day. Aguero hasn't scored in his last 5 games, that run must come to an end soon just hopefully not this sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

jayo26 wrote: »
    Yes but what percentage of rooneys games compaired to rvp have been up front in his favoured position, rvp was upfront for all his games.

How many games did Rooney play in central midfield, as opposed to no.10 or up top?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I never really bought the 'form goes out the window' argument with derbies. If that was the case we wouldn't have been trolloped by City and Liverpool last season. We were the form team against Liverpool a few weeks ago and guess who won?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

thelad95 wrote: »
    I never really bought the 'form goes out the window' argument with derbies. If that was the case we wouldn't have been trolloped by City and Liverpool last season. We were the form team against Liverpool a few weeks ago and guess who won?

Your Argument is only slightly weakened by the fact that by any measurable form Liverpool were the form team not UTD pre that game.

Liverpool were undefeated in 11 before they played us, they were def the form team going into that game and playing the better football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,370 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

bangkok wrote: »
    Liverpool were undefeated in 11 before they played us, they were def the form team going into that game and playing the better football.

They had been blessed with wins vs Southampton and Swansea, and had been held to a draw by Blackburn. Much like United at times, they were getting results without playing too well themselves. They were playing some nice stuff after we beat them earlier in the season, but in recent weeks they had been starting to struggle a bit a again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Rooney first choice and RVP as back-up would be the perfect solution for our striking needs. Rooney gives you goals, strong running and hold up play consistently over the course of a season. If you want consistency then Rooney is as good as there is. RVP is still class and in this team (the way they're currently playing) he would score plenty, so the only problem is keeping him happy with being second choice.

If LVG plays his cards right he could keep RVP happy enough to stay around for one season before he gets annoyed about not being first choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

You haven't seen any Tyne-Wear derbies in the last 3 seasons then.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Rooney first choice and RVP as back-up would be the perfect solution for our striking needs. Rooney gives you goals, strong running and hold up play consistently over the course of a season. If you want consistency then Rooney is as good as there is. RVP is still class and in this team (the way they're currently playing) he would score plenty, so the only problem is keeping him happy with being second choice.

If LVG plays his cards right he could keep RVP happy enough to stay around for one season before he gets annoyed about not being first choice.

agreed about Rooney, not many like him in world football, I wouldn't swap him for anyone.

the only thing about rvp is 250k a week for a backup striker sitting on the bench as his value goes down might not sit well with the board or manager. Probably better to cash in now for around 10m while saving on his 12m yearly salary

Sell RVP and bin Falcao - sign a young, quick, striker. We need to add pace to the forward line.

That Welbeck fella at arsenal could be a good sub option! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I would like to bring Nani back and send Janjuaz on loan.

Send Wilson on loan and keep RVP but we would prob need another striker if Hernandez leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Bit Ot but can a person sign up to skysports for remainder of season,then cancel without penalty? Wouldnt mind having the channels for remaining games. Any skysports deals at the mo?
    The last game of the season is on the 24th May .. Ring them up to turn it on now before the City game and then ring them back about the 25th of this month to cancel again ... You need to give them a 30 day notice to cancel.

They'll probably offer you a deal anyway if you ask them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

So Clattenburg is ref'ing Sunday.. and not Mr."Oh no it's fine Joe stick yer head in against me" Oliver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

RVP is out of contract this summer, is he not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

ElChe32 wrote: »
    So Clattenburg is ref'ing Sunday.. and not Mr."Oh no it's fine Joe stick yer head in against me" Oliver.

Clattenburg gets a massive amount of stick and he has made some high profile mistakes for sure, but I'd have him ref a game ahead of most of the others. I think he's pretty decent to be honest.

I find the people who castigate him would struggle to list the ref's they actually rate. It just seems "cool" to hate on the ref every game.

Julez wrote: »
    RVP is out of contract this summer, is he not?

no 2 years left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Agree with this. I think Van Persie, while on the slide, still offers some quality that could be essential for when Rooney hits his inevitable barren/dry spells throughout an entire season.

I think the Cavani stuff is wide of the mark, as is any potential striker recruitment. Rooney, RVP and Wilson should provide plenty of firepower in a system utilising only one striker.

I'd be happy enough if a striker came along, once we have wrapped up the critical stuff, like RB, CB and CM ....and Depay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Kirby wrote: »
    Clattenburg gets a massive amount of stick and he has made some high profile mistakes for sure, but I'd have him ref a game ahead of most of the others. I think he's pretty decent to be honest.

I find the people who castigate him would struggle to list the ref's they actually rate. It just seems "cool" to hate on the ref every game.

I totally agree with you Clattenburg > Oliver by a country mile. There's something about Oliver's head that irks me...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Didn't he give the Pool 3 penalties at OT last year? .. To be fair all probably were right but it hardly endears him to us fans.

Clattenburg is the best of a bad bunch, and they are horrendously bad this year. I have time for him as he seems to handle most situations well and has a good nack of explaining stuff to players, which seems well received.

Michael Oliver and Mark Clattenburg I have time for and think are the two best refs around. I absolutely shudder when Mike Dean is in charge. He has a horrible patronising look about him and the dramatics he employs in a game infuriates me, always fear in a big game he will make a contraversial call, Get the feeling he tries too hard to make it look like he isnt afraid of making big decisions, but it is usually with too much enthusiasm on his part and ends up being the wrong decision.

As ironic as it was for Pearson to label him the most arrogant man he has ever met, he was 100% spot on

TheDoc wrote: »
    Agree with this. I think Van Persie, while on the slide, still offers some quality that could be essential for when Rooney hits his inevitable barren/dry spells throughout an entire season.

I think the Cavani stuff is wide of the mark, as is any potential striker recruitment. Rooney, RVP and Wilson should provide plenty of firepower in a system utilising only one striker.

I'd be happy enough if a striker came along, once we have wrapped up the critical stuff, like RB, CB and CM ....and Depay

Wilson is a real talent and needs first team football to come back in a year or two and be first choice.

No point him spending next year on the bench again. I would be happy with Rooney, RVP and an average backup maybe someone like Ings cheap for a year or two.

I think when you see us getting in Falcao on loan with an agreement in principle to sign him for 43m come summer, if he is not signed which I don't think he will be and hernandez is getting off loaded, we are in the market for a striker 100%. RVP said earlier this season he doesn't think he will be getting offered a new contract so there is no way he will be allowed to leave on a free next season so no reason not to suggest he will be moved on to either Inter Milan or Galatasary.

I can see us signing this summer Otamendi or Hummels 30m
    Cavani or a different world class striker 40-50m
    Depay 17-20m
    Potential or Top class creative midfielder 6m-40m

Benteke is one player I reckon some top sides will be looking at this summer.

Strong, fast, good worker and a very good finisher. Would say Liverpool and Spurs are going to be after him, and I reckon United should be too.

I can see us signing this summer Otamendi or Hummels 30m
    Cavani or a different world class striker 40-50m
    Depay 17-20m
    Potential or Top class creative midfielder 6m-40m

Need an actual right back LVG will trust too.

Centre Back
    Right Back
    Winger
    Central Midfielder
    Attacker.

Benteke is one player I reckon some top sides will be looking at this summer.

Strong, fast, good worker and a very good finisher. Would say Liverpool and Spurs are going to be after him, and I reckon United should be too.

yes and Lukaku is another, 3 years younger and def going to move this summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I actually see this summer of bring in Youth into the team.

Maybe 2 Top class but Lui is all about Youth so expect some Young Talent to increase squad size for the Champions League

yes and Lukaku is another, 3 years younger and def going to move this summer

Don't think Lukaku will get a move this summer.

Everton won't sell for a loss and he isn't yet worth more than they paid for him. The reasons Chelsea sold him are still evident in his play. Needs to become a smarter striker to justify his price tag before he can be sold, imo. Unless someone (Spurs?) panics and goes cash stupid on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

ElChe32 wrote: »
    I totally agree with you Clattenburg > Oliver by a country mile. There's something about Oliver's head that irks me...

What ever do you mean? :)

344455.png

Need an actual right back LVG will trust too.

Centre Back
    Right Back
    Winger
    Central Midfielder
    Attacker.

Whats the order in preference there? I reckon the way we play plus Nani coming back Winger is at the bottom. Mine:

1 Centre Back
    2 Attacker
    3 Centre Mid
    4 Right back
    5 Winger (meh)

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    I actually see this summer of bring in Youth into the team.

Maybe 2 Top class but Lui is all about Youth so expect some Young Talent to increase squad size for the Champions League

Feck all talent in the current set up worth of the spots required imo.

No right back to speak of - no way Janko is good enough to be a PL level right back. Thorpe is probably the best CB in the youth ranks but has been consistently over looked all season in favour of McNair and Blackett.

If Pereira stays he probably does so as a first team squad member on the wings, but we'd still need to buy someone actually usefull.

If RVP, Falcao and Hernandez were to leave, Wilson gets a senior spot but an attacker is still needed.

Don't think Pearson, Rothwell or Harrop have enough about them (at least yet) to be good enough options to allow us to not buy a CM.

Trilla wrote: »
    Whats the order in preference there? I reckon the way we play plus Nani coming back Winger is at the bottom. Mine:

1 Centre Back
    2 Attacker
    3 Centre Mid
    4 Right back
    5 Winger (meh)

all depends on who is available I feel.

if bale or Ronaldo came out and said they want to move I think they would have to be the no1 target, after that a defender is top priority

1 Centre Back
    2 Attacker
    3 Centre Mid
    4 Right back
    5 Winger (meh)

1. CB.
    2. RB
    3. CM
    4. Wing
    5. Attacker.

Need to sort out the defence, at CB and RB long term..
    CM and Wing are similar priorities for me.
    Someone like Depay could be used as a second striker so signing him reduces need for a striker, if RVP stays.

Don't see Nani staying. Reckon he will be sold (though I would prefer him kept)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

What ever do you mean? :)

This in an infinitely more punchable face

v2-referee-afp.jpg

His smugness sickens me.

2. RB
    3. CM
    4. Wing
    5. Attacker.

Attacker at 5? Hmmm. If Falcao goes and RVP stays in the physio room surely and attacker will be P1 or P2?
    This in an infinitely more punchable face

His smugness sickens me.

Agreed. At least he looks like a man though and not an extra out of lord of the rings :p

can see big money being spent this summer in the premier league.

Man City will make big investments, Chelsea will be signing a new striker, Arsenal also a new striker, midfielder and defender, can see Liverpool splashing 70-100m, spurs need big investment to make top 4, going to be a very interesting summer ahead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Feck all talent in the current set up worth of the spots required imo.

No right back to speak of - no way Janko is good enough to be a PL level right back. Thorpe is probably the best CB in the youth ranks but has been consistently over looked all season in favour of McNair and Blackett.

If Pereira stays he probably does so as a first team squad member on the wings, but we'd still need to buy someone actually usefull.

If RVP, Falcao and Hernandez were to leave, Wilson gets a senior spot but an attacker is still needed.

Don't think Pearson, Rothwell or Harrop have enough about them (at least yet) to be good enough options to allow us to not buy a CM.

I mean he will buy younger players then the normal 25 years and upwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

can see big money being spent this summer in the premier league.

Man City will make big investments, Chelsea will be signing a new striker, Arsenal also a new striker, midfielder and defender, can see Liverpool splashing 70-100m, spurs need big investment to make top 4, going to be a very interesting summer ahead

Do Spurs and Liverpool have the cash to spend since they both look like missing out on top 4? Both have spent big money recently in the push to solidify themselves as top 4 teams but it hasn't worked out too well.

And City & Chelsea could both be hindered by both FFP and the homegrown players issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Don't think Lukaku will get a move this summer.

Everton won't sell for a loss and he isn't yet worth more than they paid for him. The reasons Chelsea sold him are still evident in his play. Needs to become a smarter striker to justify his price tag before he can be sold, imo. Unless someone (Spurs?) panics and goes cash stupid on him.

Reminds me of a Defoe type of striker too - goes through a spell of 5 goals in 5 games and then nothing for 5 or 6. Just misses too many clear cut chances. He can be slow to bring guys into the game around him or lose the ball handy when he's off form. They're well fixable things but as you say nobody is going to fork out bigger money than what Everton paid.

I could definitely see Benteke going somewhere and he'll be quality. He might have lacked goals early in the season but when your midfield is so shockingly bad and your manager is more intent on not losing than winning then that's pretty much a nightmare for a striker. Sherwood has come in with a bit more positive approach and he's back scoring goals again.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Do Spurs and Liverpool have the cash to spend since they both look like missing out on top 4? Both have spent big money recently in the push to solidify themselves as top 4 teams but it hasn't worked out too well.

And City & Chelsea could both be hindered by both FFP and the homegrown players issue.

I don't think spurs have really spent that much, yes they spent 80-90m but then they went and sold bale for 85m so don't really think they spent that much.

Liverpool the same, yes they spent big but they sold suarez for 60m, Gerrard will be off the books next season and Balotelli will more than likely be sold. Also the sterling issue, looks like he will be off, another 40m + to spend.

City will offload Joveitic, Kolorov, I would imagine Yaya as well so should have money to spend.

Chelsea seem to have done well in recent years selling players added to the fact they signed a new shirt sponsor for next year and the new cash injection from TV money they should be ok to spend 20-50m on a new striker

What could Benteke be got for 15 million or so would be a good bit of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

agreed about Rooney, not many like him in world football, I wouldn't swap him for anyone.

the only thing about rvp is 250k a week for a backup striker sitting on the bench as his value goes down might not sit well with the board or manager. Probably better to cash in now for around 10m while saving on his 12m yearly salary

Good point. Plus he might end up leaving on a free. Might need to sell him and get in someone else in the summer, depending on how the sums work out then.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I wouldn't be surprised if Van Gaal still wants and tries to get Thomas Muller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

RobertKK wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if Van Gaal still wants and trys to get Thomas Muller.

Just that it would be a wasted effort and time. No way he is leaving Bayern especially when they have such a special team and him playing regularly.

What would peoples top target be i would love Schneiderlen i think he is a fantastic midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Nuts102 wrote: »
    What would peoples top target be i would love Schneiderlen i think he is a fantastic midfielder.

Yeah but between Herrera, Pogba, Fellaini and Carrick he'd barely get a game.

Good point. Plus he might end up leaving on a free. Might need to sell him and get in someone else in the summer, depending on how the sums work out then.

Forgot about his wages.

But with it looking increasingly likely at being only one striker spot, and Rooney getting in when fit, not sure who will actually come in and be happy to play second fiddle. You'd want to be a proper moron to come into the squad thinking you'll usurp Rooney(unless he is shifted position again, which he shouldn't).

Dybala getting first team regular football and plenty of suitors, he be happy coming to United to sit on the bench?

Going to be some movement this summer in the world of strikers. Cavani, Vietto, Falcao, Van Persie, Dybala, Benteke and some others all likely and potentially on the move. Lewandowski reportedly a touch unsettled at Bayern if you believe certain quarters.

Plenty of teams will be in the hunt for a striker as well this summer, with the likes of Chelsea,PSG and City all likely to get in a new striker. Teams like Totenham and Liverpool probably will too, but I don't think they will be able to compete with the rest financially.

Vietto has a relatively tempting buyout at like €25m, but the rest are likely in the big bucks bracket, bar Van Persie. (And would he really go to Totenham or Liverpool?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Forgot about his wages.

But then again, the wages only become a deciding factor if you replace RVP with somebody on much lower wages. Spend £40m on a guy who also demands £200,000+pw and you are back to the original point.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement