Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Being reported that United are only going to do the ICC in America in the summer - a 12 day trip based in one location (west cost), rather than the trek they went on last summer and the summer before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Nuts102 wrote: »
    What would peoples top target be i would love Schneiderlen i think he is a fantastic midfielder.

Ronaldi.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Any Update on Shaw?

Being reported that United are only going to do the ICC in America in the summer - a 12 day trip based in one location (west cost), rather than the trek they went on last summer and the summer before.

They also have to war both Nike and Adidas kits as Nike wont let them end the contract early. Wonder how that will work ( Each Half? )

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    They also have to war both Nike and Adidas kits as Nike wont let them end the contract early. Wonder how that will work ( Each Half? )

The report I read was that the Adidas deal can't start until August 1st, so Nike on the tour and Adidas once they're back in England if that's true.

no they just have to wear the nike shirts up to July 31st and after that date they will wear the adidas ones

The report I read was that the Adidas deal can't start until August 1st, so Nike on the tour and Adidas once they're back in England if that's true.

I'd be surprised if a deal isn't reached by that point.

And Shaw? Is he coming back this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

And Shaw? Is he coming back this season

Shaw is back, whether he'll usurp Blind from the starting line up remains to be seen.

This is what I saw
    The Red Devils will be forced to take both Adidas and Nike kits on their pre-season tour after their current supplier refused to let them exit their deal early

Manchester United are planning to take kits from TWO suppliers when they embark on their summer tour to the USA this summer.

Nike, United’s current kit providers, are in the last three months of their £303million deal signed in 2002.

Adidas will take over after agreeing a massive £750 million 10-year deal which kicks in on August 1.

And that means Louis van Gaal’s men will have to take kits from both suppliers for their pre-season games.

Nike were understood to be disappointed to lose their tie-up with United, especially to their fiercest rivals.

And that’s why they refused to allow United to exit the deal early so they could parade their new alliance with adidas on their tour to America.

Meanwhile main shirt sponsors Chevrolet were disappointed that United have chosen to tour America for the second successive season after originally hoping the club would head to China.

General Motors, who own the Chevrolet brand, wanted to roll out sponsorship events with United stars in China where they want to grow their slice of the lucrative car market.

United are still in discussions over their tour to America with early plans to stay on the East Coast being revised.

It’s now thought United may head instead to the West Coast for three games. Boss Van Gaal wants less travelling than on the coast-to-coast tour last summer and is insisting on less commercial work for his stars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

RVP Twitter:

Back to training with the group today. Was a great session. Happy to be fit and able to play again. Looking forward to my next game!

I hope he doesn't feature vs city to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

It will be Nike until the date the Nike contact is up then Adidas from there on. Definitely not one each half :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

If Vietto does have a €25m buyout and RVP is leaving then he ticks all the boxes for me I think. Goalscorer who can play deep too and wouldn't cost the world. Him and Depay would complete the attacking lineup.

I'd rank right back as most important to get sorted. Smalling, Jones and Evans have gone a few months without any injuries so don't see them as a major problem anymore as the team have been defending well. Hummels hasn't looked great this season at all too. Depay, Vietto, Clyne/Coleman and an experienced cover CB would be enough for me tbh. Maybe De Hong on a free. No holes after that Summer though maybe someone to cover Herrera at a push would be needed if no De Jong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

It will be Nike until the date the Nike contact is up then Adidas from there on. Definitely not one each half :pac:

Hypothetically, a game in San Fran on the 31st kicking off at 2pm, which is (I think) 11pm in the UK. 2nd half kicks off at 3.05pm, 5 past midnight on Aug 1st in the UK.
    It'd be the grey kits all over again.:D

Back to more serious matters, going by Polo-mints report, it looks like Chevrolet will push for a tour of China next year, after the Euros.:(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

paulbok wrote: »
    Hypothetically, a game in San Fran on the 31st kicking off at 2pm, which is (I think) 11pm in the UK. 2nd half kicks off at 3.05pm, 5 past midnight on Aug 1st in the UK.
    It'd be the grey kits all over again.:D

Back to more serious matters, going by Polo-mints report, it looks like Chevrolet will push for a tour of China next year, after the Euros.:(

After 2 years in the US, Asia was probably going to be the 2016 destination anyway.

RVP Twitter:

Back to training with the group today. Was a great session. Happy to be fit and able to play again. Looking forward to my next game!

Yay :(

Stick him on the bench, He can do a Solskjaer for the rest of the season.

although I could picture him scoring a hat-trick on his first game back

Liam O wrote: »
    If Vietto does have a €25m buyout and RVP is leaving then he ticks all the boxes for me I think. Goalscorer who can play deep too and wouldn't cost the world. Him and Depay would complete the attacking lineup.

I'd rank right back as most important to get sorted. Smalling, Jones and Evans have gone a few months without any injuries so don't see them as a major problem anymore
    as the team have been defending well. Hummels hasn't looked great this season at all too. Depay, Vietto, Clyne/Coleman and an experienced cover CB would be enough for me tbh. Maybe De Hong on a free. No holes after that Summer though maybe someone to cover Herrera at a push would be needed if no De Jong.

I'd look at that as they are overdue some injuries. Being injury prone is not something that goes away so anothe CB is needed for me, replacing probably Evans altogether.
    A 1st team RB is needed if Raf is put out to pasture.
    A strong CM is also needed, Carrick isn't getting any younger and midfield have their own unfair share of injuries, so also need numbers.
    The same can be said of Rooney, he does tend to get at least one injury a season that keeps him out for a few weeks, and he is notoriously slow to get back into form. Thats why either RVP should be kept or another quality forward brought in, need to be able to replace Rooney with similiar, it would be tough on Wison to expect him to cover for Rooney for an extended period.
    Another thought on the forwards, I think someone else touched on it a few days ago, if we keep RVP for another year or two, we could be looking to replace both him and Rooney at the same time. The age balance in the squad has just about been evened out after the last few years, we've seen the problem with replacing 3/4, actually pretty much all 4 defenders earlier in the season.

After 2 years in the US, Asia was probably going to be the 2016 destination anyway.

It would make more sense, (but apparently not enough dosh or exposure) to do the long hauls on odd numbered years and shorter European on tournament years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

RVP Twitter:

I hope he doesn't feature vs city to be honest

Well LVG has his best XI playing the best football we have played all season in these last threee games so he'll hopefully do as little rotation as possible from now until the last day. Injury aside I can't see him wanting to derail our current run and his philosophy is currently being implemented on the pitch. Why would he tinker with it?

Its just a case of who does he pick as his striker from the bench now, RVP or Falcao. If the games is closed off as its essentially has been the last three games its of little consequence, if its not it will be an interesting call. I'd prefer Falcao.

In the last two games its been a straight swap with the subs also, Falcao for a midfeilder and ADM for Young (Rojo for Blind against Pool but he was a yellow card or injury precaution iirc).

We could have RVP, Falcao, ADM and Valdes all on the bench against City. Thats insane when you think about it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

So United's possession stats are higher under Louis van Gaal than in any of the past 10 seasons, according to Opta

Noice!

Interestingly enough, our top possession stat game was under Moyes, the 2-2 draw with Fulham. If I'm not mistaken wasn't that the "more crosses than the vatican" game?

Also manutd.com has gotten a long overdue makeover. Its still poor by other club sites standards and has a lot of the old style hidden below the surface when you move away from the front page. Better than nothing I suppose, the old style was truly horrific.

Well LVG has his best XI playing the best football we have played all season in these last threee games so he'll hopefully do as little rotation as possible from now until the last day. Injury aside I can't see him wanting to derail our current run and his philosophy is currently being implemented on the pitch. Why would he tinker with it?

Its just a case of who does he pick as his striker from the bench now, RVP or Falcao. If the games is closed off as its essentially has been the last three games its of little consequence, if its not it will be an interesting call. I'd prefer Falcao.

In the last two games its been a straight swap with the subs also, Falcao for a midfeilder and ADM for Young (Rojo for Blind against Pool but he was a yellow card or injury precaution iirc).

We could have RVP, Falcao, ADM and Valdes all on the bench against City. Thats insane when you think about it :D

Neither they can both leave. Falcao frustrates me so much. His passion and determination is great but whenever he gets the ball he loses it with his poor hold up play or first touch and rvp is just not the same anymore and he won't come good again so it would be a good time to offload him. I would like to see wilson if anyone come off the bench and show us what he can do and whether it's worth keeping him next season or sending him on loan.

The Spaniards enjoying the Manchester (Wilmslow) sunshine...

2mx031k.jpg

Some memorable moments from recent derbies...

agVRRan.jpg

K8xp0UL.jpg

2j0jmkz.png

hD9oGR5.jpg

2cdvrdf.jpg

145rut.jpg

5RiAOtZ.jpg?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

You can't leave this one out...

Manchester+City+v+Manchester+United+Premier+phacwuwoXkTl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I really hope we turn that shower over, it's well overdue.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

C'mon Blackburn!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭billyhead

bangkok wrote: »
    can see big money being spent this summer in the premier league.

Man City will make big investments, Chelsea will be signing a new striker, Arsenal also a new striker, midfielder and defender, can see Liverpool splashing 70-100m, spurs need big investment to make top 4, going to be a very interesting summer ahead

This is my transfer muppet prediction

Chelsea will sign Pogpa and a new striker probably Dbala
    Arsenal will sign either Khedera or Morgan Sneiderlin (think that's how you spell it) and Cavani. A defender is needed (not sure who they will get here).
    City will sign Sterling from Liverpool and also bring in at least more while having a major clear out including the likes of Toure, Navas, Dzeko, Jelavic I think his name.
    We will sign Depay, Hummels and if RVP (Falcao and Hernadez will definitely go anyway) leaves a new striker (not sure who). Talk of a new midfielder coming in
    Liverpool will get average players especially with no CL football next season which looks highly likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lads what are your thoughts on Inter's Icardi.

He's been linked with us over the past season. I just dont know what the make of him. Im in 2 minds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Headshot wrote: »

He's been linked with us over the past season. I just dont know what the make of him. Im in 2 minds

Hard to judge anybody fairly in that shambles of a team. Can't say I've been overly impressed with him anytime I've seen him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

He's decent of fifa 15 if that's any help :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3030266/Ander-Herrera-monitored-Barcelona-Catalan-giants-search-Xavi-replacement.html

Barca scouting Herrera. Though we have to ignore Herrera's recent comments about wanting to be here for years, and the fact Barca can't do business for a while anyway....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

stankratz wrote: »

Some memorable moments from recent derbies...

]

Spot the odd one out ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I've only seen a few games on setanta but he's never looked like a player who could become genuine world class. He misses far too many chances to be considered so, obviously he has a few years ahead of him but I'd be disappointed with us spending the enviable fairly large fee on him.

For me we'd be better off looking elsewhere. It's hard to predict a summer transfer window but I'd be surprised if a better striker than Icardi doesn't become available

Spot the odd one out ;)

Shíte...is it the Young/Rio Balboa one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I think our best option this Summer is to buy a player who can play wide of Rooney or in place of Rooney when he is out. That player is Gareth Bale. He wouldn't replace Rooney or push him out of the forward role but he would be able to step in when needed.

Big Sam admitted today his dream is to manage Man Utd one day. Not gonna happen big boy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

GSPfan wrote: »
    I think our best option this Summer is to buy a player who can play wide of Rooney or in place of Rooney when he is out. That player is Gareth Bale. He wouldn't replace Rooney or push him out of the forward role but he would be able to step in when needed.

The problem with Bale is that he would cost far more than he's worth. Now, ordinarily I'd say I don't care - it's not my money - but that's when people are complaining about overpaying for Fellaini by 20 pence.

In this case, you'd be spending so much over the odds that it would mean sacrificing a high quality signing for another position. That I can't abide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

The problem with Bale is that he would cost far more than he's worth. Now, ordinarily I'd say I don't care - it's not my money - but that's when people are complaining about overpaying for Fellaini by 20 pence.

In this case, you'd be spending so much over the odds that it would mean sacrificing a high quality signing for another position. That I can't abide.

Real Madrid did it. Paid over the odds and still bought isco and illaramendi. Then won European cup.
    point being this is Manchester United we're talking about we should be in for players like bale.

it should go without saying, posts about banned users are off topic and not allowed. This has been covered before. I have deleted the posts but don't bring d it up again in this thread. It has zero to do with United and does nothing but disrupt the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Real Madrid did it. Paid over the odds and still bought isco and illaramendi. Then won European cup.
    point being this is Manchester United we're talking about we should be in for players like bale.

They signed Isco and Illaramendi the summer before they signed Bale ?

Though I get your point, I wouldn't exactly use Madrid's transfer policy as marker to follow.

I feel like I missed something fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Anyway, United favourites for the weekend? I'd have to think so.

Anyway, United favourites for the weekend? I'd have to think so.

It is a strange feeling - going into a big game and not fearing a hiding. Will probably get a fecking hiding now.

billyhead wrote: »
    This is my transfer muppet prediction

Chelsea will sign Pogpa and a new striker probably Dbala
    Arsenal will sign either Khedera or Morgan Sneiderlin (think that's how you spell it) and Cavani. A defender is needed (not sure who they will get here).
    City will sign Sterling from Liverpool and also bring in at least more while having a major clear out including the likes of Toure, Na
    Avas, Dzeko, Jelavic I think his name.
    We will sign Depay, Hummels and if RVP (Falcao and Hernadez will definitely go anyway) leaves a new striker (not sure who). Talk of a new midfielder coming in
    Liverpool will get average players especially with no CL football next season which looks highly likely.

IMO:

Chelsea to sign Pogba - No. Will sign for City or Madrid.
    Chelsea to sign Dybala - No. More likely to sign for Arsenal or Juventus.
    City to sign Sterling - I don't think Liverpool will allow him to move this summer. Most likely destination if he does leave though.
    Arsenal to sign Cavani - No. 60million plus 200+K p/w, I just don't see it happening.

It is a strange feeling - going into a big game and not fearing a hiding. Will probably get a fecking hiding now.

I know what you mean, but they just look like a team that has completely switched off. I'll be extremely disappointed if United don't take the opportunity to put them to the sword.

Spot the odd one out ;)

I think I spotted it straight away.... Michael Owen V Joe hart... it was Shay Given in goals the day owen scored to make it 4-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I would love Bale but Mata has performed well on the wing and Di Maria will come good next year.

For what Bale would cost we could probably get Hummels, Clyne and Schneiderlen which would be far better for the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I know what you mean, but they just look like a team that has completely switched off. I'll be extremely disappointed if United don't take the opportunity to put them to the sword.

Although off form Aguero is a lethal if we can keep him quiet and let Fellaini do a job on Yaya we should hopefully beat them.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I would love Bale but Mata has performed well on the wing and Di Maria will come good next year.

For what Bale would cost we could probably get Hummels, Clyne and Schneiderlen which would be far better for the side.

I'd go for Depay over Bale. A more risky signing (he may not progress, adapt, settle) but far less money all in and with Di Maria, Mata, Depay, Januzaj and Young as wing options we should be ok.

I'd go for Depay over Bale. A more risky signing (he may not progress, adapt, settle) but far less money all in and with Di Maria, Mata, Depay, Januzaj and Young as wing options we should be ok.

Is money still that big a factor though? Last summer showed we can throw cash round so why shouldn't we? With the new sponsor deal, and the probability of CL football returning, we don't need to be taking risks for fear of wasting money. We can afford to have a few younger risks and a big money signing or two as well.

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Is money still that big a factor though? Last summer showed we can throw cash round so why shouldn't we? With the new sponsor deal, and the probability of CL football returning, we don't need to be taking risks for fear of wasting money. We can afford to have a few younger risks and a big money signing or two as well.

When we need a Right Back, a Centre back, a Centre Mid, arguably a Winger and a striker and POSSIBLY a Keeper - I have to imagine spending 80million or something on Bale would eat into that a lot.

You are looking at 20-30million on a keeper. 15-20 on a RB. apparently near 40mil on a CB (hummels) - so that is possibly 90million before you even hit midfield! While I expect sales, I would say DDG would be the only one to bring in decent coin and I would say we will spend as much, if not more, replacing him (given hsi contract situation).

Overall, I think United will have a lot to spend - but breaking the brit transfer record (again) for Bale would have to take a very significant chunk out of that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement