Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sinn Féin received €12million in donations from US

• 05-03-2015 4:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭

Fairly interesting stuff: SF received large donations over the last two decades from a variety of sources, from unions to celebrities (Martin Sheen and Viggo Mortenson)

Source

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I dont get it?
    whats the point you are making?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Aragorn still fighting the good fight then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Lockstep wrote: »
    Fairly interesting stuff: SF received large donations over the last two decades from a variety of sources, from unions to celebrities (Martin Sheen and Viggo Mortenson)

Source

*Insert Viggo Mortenson/Sinn Féin "History of Violence" comment here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭maccored

fair dues to them. better than taking money off vested interests in order to politically pander to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

maccored wrote: »
    fair dues to them. better than taking money off vested interests in order to politically pander to them.
    Yeah trade unions are well known for offering donations to political parties without looking for anything in return.

Good on SF, one more reason not to vote for them.

• Advertisement

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Yeah trade unions are well known for offering donations to political parties without looking for anything in return.

Good on SF, one more reason not to vote for them.

american trade unions. fat lot of good SF can do to help them politically in ireland. barrel and scraping are two words that come to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭blackwhite

american trade unions. fat lot of good SF can do to help them politically in ireland. barrel and scraping are two words that come to mind.

Unless of course SF were in power in Ireland, and decided to implement policies which made inward investment into Ireland unattractive, or even resulting US companies relocating activities back to the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Source

Bargain!!
    It cost the British Government over 20 billion pounds to fund the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts ........

A left wing party milking right wing dollars, that's the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

It's over 20 years which would make it an average of €600,000 PA.

• Advertisement

The idea that American trade Unions could possibly have concealed objectives that are against the interests of the Irish people, particularly a country that is recipient of so much American FDI as Ireland, that coincides with hampering American investment and hurting free trade is clearly inconceivable to you. :rolleyes:
    blackwhite wrote: »
    Unless of course SF were in power in Ireland, and decided to implement policies which made inward investment into Ireland unattractive, or even resulting US companies relocating activities back to the US.
    SF hamper inward investment? Surely American lobbyists wouldn't be so underhanded?! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The idea that American trade Unions could possibly have concealed objectives that are against the interests of the Irish people, particularly a country that is recipient of so much American FDI as Ireland, that coincides with hampering American investment and hurting free trade is clearly inconceivable to you. :rolleyes:

<
    Conspiracy Theory forum is that way

Seriously.. that's some of the most deluded tripe I've ever read. You seriously think that trade unions donating money to a left-leaning party is some sort of long-con, designed to hurt Ireland?

What would you say Chuck Feeney's reason for donating are, or Anjelica Huston's? Some joint billionaire / Hollywood plot designed to topple us?

Mod: No personal abuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Do they have to pay tax on donations?

I presume so

Seriously.. that's some of the most deluded tripe I've ever read. You seriously think that trade unions donating money to a left-leaning party is some sort of long-con, designed to hurt Ireland?
    Nope, but the idea of trade unions promoting trade barriers is neither new nor conspiratorial.

Nope, but the idea of trade unions promoting trade barriers is neither new nor conspiratorial.

Where have they ever attempted or succeeded in promoting trade barriers between the US and Ireland?

Do you have a single link to back up what you are saying?

You're talking complete nonsense.

This is just from a few weeks ago - far from promoting trade barriers

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/irish-and-us-trade-unions-sign-historic-agreement-1.2081718
    An Irish trade union has signed a historic agreement with one of America’s largest unions that will lead to training for Irish workers in additional skills that will help them secure new employment prospects.

In the first arrangement of its kind, the Technical Engineering and Electrical Union (TEEU) signed a federation agreement with the United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices, which represents 370,000 craft workers in the US, Canada and Australia.

Under the agreement, the TEEU will bring US trainers to Ireland to teach workers new skills under a “train the trainers” programme.
    cisk wrote: »

Which of the individuals or organisations that donated would you consider to be 'right-wing'?

Where have they ever attempted or succeeded in promoting trade barriers between the US and Ireland?
    Who is they?
    Do you have a single link to back up what you are saying?
    What would you like a link to?

Who is they?

The US based trade unions that you claim want to hurt trade or relations between the US and Ireland

Evidence of the above. In your own time.

http://i.imgur.com/PqZdNPw.jpg

The US based trade unions that you claim want to hurt trade or relations between the US and Ireland

Evidence of the above. In your own time.
    I don't appreciate your tone, take a breath and ask yourself why you're asking me to provide proof for something I haven't claimed. Maybe you can come up with an answer because I sure as hell can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,995 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

donations to SF NI and SF have to be distinguished to some extent because Irish political parties can't receive donations from foreigners but of course they are connected, I wonder how though

an old Elaine Byrne blog says SF NI getting foreign donantions and then donating to Sinn Fein Ireland TDs http://elaine.ie/2009/05/22/worrying-fall-in-disclosure-of-funding-by-parties/

but I looked at the SIPO records and I don't see that happening, 2011 atleast, I see SF TDs Irl giving money to they party, but thats their receive TDs pay take Average Industrial Wage* and donate rest to constituency scheme.

*tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

cisk wrote: »

There are left wing people in America too, you know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Source

"and?" is about all I can say to this.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Who is they?

Mod: This is not the cafe, if you dont want to debate issues seriously you will be banned. You made an assertion then pretended that you did not know what assertion you had made

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

cerastes wrote: »
    I dont get it?

Of course, the point is to try and vaguely discredit SF in some way, for example, the Indo headline to this story was "From Working Class To First Class." An attempt to make an accusation that SF members, particularly Adams, are in some way benefiting personally from all this. Expect more of this rubbish as elections near.
    The Irish Times followed this story up with this gem.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/miriam-lord-adams-annoyed-at-d%C3%A1il-decibel-levels-1.2126509

A sneering rant about Adams and SF because they dont get involved in playground shouting matches in the Dail, have the temerity to demand that the government listens to their questions and concerns and prefer to speak through the chair.

Oh, and Adams "glares." ohhhh, menacing

Of course, the point is to try and vaguely discredit SF in some way, for example, the Indo headline to this story was "From Working Class To First Class." An attempt to make an accusation that SF members, particularly Adams, are in some way benefiting personally from all this. Expect more of this rubbish as elections near.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/miriam-lord-adams-annoyed-at-d%C3%A1il-decibel-levels-1.2126509

A sneering rant about Adams and SF because they dont get involved in playground shouting matches in the Dail, have the temerity to demand that the government listens to their questions and concerns and prefer to speak through the chair.

... and on the flipside they claim SF is economically illiterate. wish people would make up their minds since we have an apparently economically illiterate party who has managed to fund themselves much better than the opposition without using any brown envelopes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

It is a valid point to bring up by the OP. If one sees no problem with foreign money stemming in to help a political party and their causes then they should see no problem seeing foreign money helping out the pro-life campaign in donations to Youth Defence or Iona. I seem to clearly hear criticism of the latter by many supporters of Sinn Fein. Will they criticise this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

... and on the flipside they claim SF is economically illiterate. wish people would make up their minds since we have an apparently economically illiterate party who has managed to fund themselves much better than the opposition without using any brown envelopes.

Trying to draw equilavance between getting a tonne of cash from the good old' boys stateside with macroeconomic competence is very veeeery weak!

Trying to draw equilavance between getting a tonne of cash from the good old' boys stateside with macroeconomic competence is very veeeery weak!

I believe he was highlighting the self-contradictory arguments people throw out at sinn fein when they're frantically trying to smear them.
    For example, just yesterday, in the same thread on a Belfast Telegraph post, one guy accused SF of being marxist, and later, fascist.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Sinn Féin met with US business people to discuss economic policy
    Sinn Féin’s rising popularity prompted a group of American businessman, including some with Wall Street backgrounds, to travel to Dublin in January of this year to find out more about the party’s economic plans and how they could form future government policy given the party’s recent performances in the polls.

In fairness it is pretty clear for all to see that Sinn Féin's economic policies have become far more 'moderate' in recent years. That's fine, but it does beg the question as to who exactly steers policy in SF?

You can be sure that donors have some level of influence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I think we have gone too far in impeding the funding of political parties. Although I wouldn't necessarily agree with the model the US has adapted, I think our funding limits for political parties (€2,500) and for individual politicians (€1,000) are too low.

The result is that Fine Gael received total private donations to the party of €112,000 in the last year for which records are available, but received over 20 times that amount from the taxpayer, bringing up its funding to €2.8 million.

Not only are these restrictions on "private" (publicly reported) donations an impediment to political free speech, they also make the political parties too dependent on the State.

Either we need to change the way in which funding is provided, or increase the limits on donations, because the current regime is too generous to established parties, and too repressive towards new and emerging political parties.

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »
    It is a valid point to bring up by the OP. If one sees no problem with foreign money stemming in to help a political party and their causes then they should see no problem seeing foreign money helping out the pro-life campaign in donations to Youth Defence or Iona. I seem to clearly hear criticism of the latter by many supporters of Sinn Fein. Will they criticise this?

if the record keeping was as good...

Sinn Féin met with US business people to discuss economic policy

In fairness it is pretty clear for all to see that Sinn Féin's economic policies have become far more 'moderate' in recent years. That's fine, but it does beg the question as to who exactly steers policy in SF?

You can be sure that donors have some level of influence.

"The focus of the meeting was investment, job creation and economic issues."

I dont see where the problem is with trying to get investment and job creation. how is that pandering to a union?

You should ask those 'many supporters of Sinn Fein' you talk of. Personally I dont care if Youth Defence or Iona look for foreign money or not.

I'd say there's a difference between donations to a political party in general and outside funding and support of lobbyists for specific campaigns and legislative changes myself but whatever.

Both sides in the abortion debate receive money from foreign parties. George Soros and Chuck Feeney have allegedly both financially supported the pro-choice side here.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If FF had gotten millions in donations from banks and other big businesses in Germany, would SF supporters have been cool with it?

If FF had gotten millions in donations from banks and other big businesses in Germany, would SF supporters have been cool with it?

sf get donations from germany?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

"The focus of the meeting was investment, job creation and economic issues."

I dont see where the problem is with trying to get investment and job creation. how is that pandering to a union?

That's according to a Sinn Féin spokesperson as the article points out.

The Irish Times takes a more nuanced approach and suggests donors have taken issue with SF economic policies in recent years, and on foot of that SF's economic policies are becoming more moderate.

That's according to a Sinn Féin spokesperson as the article points out.

i still dont see how meeting americans in ireland means american trade unions are benefiting from decisions SF made in ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,794 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Do they have to pay tax on donations?

I presume so

Income tax is paid on income.

Is a donation rec'd by a pol party classified as income?

Is a pol party a company?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

an apparently economically illiterate party who has managed to fund themselves much better than the opposition without using any brown envelopes.

Ah, so donations to other political party use "brown envelopes" whereas donations to SF use "white envelopes" and therefore the monies the SF envelopes contain are "morally superior" to the monies the other parties receive?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gavster1982

my answer would be: SO?

theyre entitled to get money from wherever and whoever...as long as its maid public...anyone upset is just jealous....

• Advertisement

depends how much you think SF in Gov in NI had influence over UK banking regulation policies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Of course, the point is to try and vaguely
    discredit SF in some way, for example, the Indo headline to this story was "From Working Class To First Class." An attempt to make an accusation that SF members, particularly Adams, are in some way benefiting personally from all this. Expect more of this rubbish as elections near.

Not every story about SF can de dismissed as bias by the media. While the Jim Cusack article you mention is mostly guff, issues such as Gerry Adams' opting for private healthcare is very much fair game. As SF rise in the polls there is going to be a commensurate increase in media investigation of their funding and organisation. Same thing happened to Sean Gallagher during the last presidential election, SF were more than happy to join in.

I'll put it this way - if you want to play senior hurling you have to be prepared to take a few slaps.

That's a pretty standard piece by Miriam Lord, hardly a hatchet job. She treats everyone in the Dail the same way. SF tactics and demeanour in the house are not above criticism.

As for the overall issue of SF receiving donations from the US I don't see why SF supporters are being so defensive. On the surface it does appear to be legal for the party to receive donations in Northern Ireland and it offers a legitimate explanation as to where their funding comes from. Surely this is better than the repeated accusations that it comes from criminal activity?

As for the overall issue of SF receiving donations from the US I don't see why SF supporters are being so defensive. On the surface it does appear to be legal for the party to receive donations in Northern Ireland and it offers a legitimate explanation as to where their funding comes from. Surely this is better than the repeated accusations that it comes from criminal activity?

They might not be too comfortable with the way this story is heading - i.e. hints that money raised for use in Northern Ireland is being spent elsewhere which could be illegal.

Not every story about SF can de dismissed as bias by the media. While the Jim Cusack article you mention is mostly guff, issues such as Gerry Adams' opting for private healthcare is very much fair game. As SF rise in the polls there is going to be a commensurate increase in media investigation of their funding and organisation. Same thing happened to Sean Gallagher during the last presidential election, SF were more than happy to join in.

I'll put it this way - if you want to play senior hurling you have to be prepared to take a few slaps.

Certainly the increased profile of the party brings increased scrutiny. That's all fair game. But articles like this are clearly driven by the paper's own agenda. There is absolutely nothing untoward in any of the money raised but these papers have plastered this non-story all over the place in an attempt to, at best, quietly suggest there is, at worst, mislead people into thinking that is what the article is about.

That's a pretty standard piece by Miriam Lord, hardly a hatchet job. She treats everyone in the Dail the same way.

It's a complete hatchet job. Again, taking a non-story like the fact that Adams doesnt shout across people (surely a good thing unless Im going absolutely mad) and like the above article, attempting to insinuate or suggest something else. The menacing glare etc...
    Journalism in this country is fucked if this sort of sh!te isnt recognised for what it is.
    SF tactics and demeanour in the house are not above criticism.

Criticising the fact he doesnt get involved in across the floor squealing matches?? I mean, am I on acid or something

I cant speak for anyone else but Im certainly not being defensive as there is simply nothing to it. My issue is that a number of papers have clearly bandied together in an attempt to insinuate that there is something to it.
    Like I said, however, I expect we'll see an awful lot more of this guff as the elections get closer.

As for Jim Cusack, I loathe him, not as a republican, not even as a south armagh native despite his relentless slurs on the area, but as a fellow journalist. he is just fucking awful

They might not be too comfortable with the way this story is heading - i.e. hints that money raised for use in Northern Ireland is being spent elsewhere which could be illegal.

SEE! This was exactly the intention. If there was anything even slightly dodgy about this the IT and Indo would have been all over it. There wasnt, so they opted for this sly sort of insinuation and suggestion.

For sure their definitely not happy about the way the story is heading. I just don't think it's acceptable that SF and their supporter dismiss every story about the party as media bias.

I'd tend to think that that what their at is probably just about legal, but it looks dodgy. I would expect the media to treat every political party in the same way.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It sounds like you've never read a Miriam Lord piece before.

It sounds like you've never read a Miriam Lord piece before.

Ah come on. Im all too aware of the crack pot columnists that infest papers in this country but putting all party politics aside, you dont think such a lengthy article railing against someone for not shouting was a new level of daft?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

cerastes wrote: »
    I dont get it?

That Sinn Féin received large amounts of funding from abroad?

It's fairly fascinating that they've such a slick funding machine from abroad, especially compared to other parties (Labour supporters raised $127 when they tried it)

Certainly the increased profile of the party brings increased scrutiny. That's all fair game. But articles like this are clearly driven by the paper's own agenda. There is absolutely nothing untoward in any of the money raised but these papers have plastered this non-story all over the place in an attempt to, at best, quietly suggest there is, at worst, mislead people into thinking that is what the article is about.

Foreign donations are illegal in the Republic. It's hardly a non-story. Voters in the Republic have a very low opinion of the trustworthiness of the political class. Stories about expenses and funding get voters backs up. An explanation is required from the party rather than a dismissal.
    It's a complete hatchet job. Again, taking a non-story like the fact that Adams doesnt shout across people (surely a good thing unless Im going absolutely mad) and like the above article, attempting to insinuate or suggest something else. The menacing glare etc... Journalism in this country is fucked if this sort of sh!te isnt recognised for what it is.
    Criticising the fact he doesnt get involved in across the floor squealing
    matches?? I mean, am I on acid or something

You obviously haven't read many of Miriam Lord's columns.
    I cant speak for anyone else but Im certainly not being defensive as there
    is simply nothing to it. My issue is that a number of papers have clearly
    bandied together in an attempt to insinuate that there is something to it.

Like I said, however, I expect we'll see an awful lot more of this guff as the
    elections get closer.

You see a conspiracy based on a non-story. I see a balanced, well researched piece of investigative journalism. We will have to agree to disagree.
    As for Jim Cusack, I loathe him, not as a republican, not even as a south armagh native despite his relentless slurs on the area, but as a fellow journalist. he is just fucking awful

Fair enough

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement