Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sinn Féin received €12million in donations from US

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭LeeMajors

Godge wrote: »
    Yes, partition comes in handy for them.

If one way of fundraising isn't possible in one jurisdiction, then just attribute it to the other jurisdiction and vice versa.

Am I the only one worried about the potential for the malign influence on domestic politics of foreign donors? If we allow it for SF, why can't we allow rich American anti-abortion groups to fund referenda campaigns against abortion?

Some people on here are so desperate to protect their own party SF from all criticism that they don't see the bigger picture.

Yet you've no problem with foreign companies who dictate and control our governments domestic policy.
    Big pharma can rip the Irish off as much as they like, don't upset them or they might leave eh?
    Don't upset Apple inc and the rest of them who have us known throughout the world as a tax haven.

<snip>

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Lee Majors, this isnt the cafe so please debate the issue without getting into swipes against other posters or questioning their motives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

LeeMajors wrote: »
    Yet you've no problem with foreign companies who dictate and control our governments domestic policy.
    Big pharma can rip the Irish off as much as they like, don't upset them or they might leave eh?
    Don't upset Apple inc and the rest of them who have us known throughout the world as a tax haven.

<snip>

I never said anything like the above, I don't know where you got that from. Perhaps you can link to posts where I have suggested that, full posts please so that context is given. Otherwise it is a meaningless false accusation.

I just don't like the idea of foreign money in anyway influencing domestic politics.

Before expectationlost reminds me again, I know such funding is banned here in Ireland but not in the UK, but Sinn Fein have found a way around the rules by directing the money to the North meaning it gets lost in the mix and if they can do that, so can the All-Ireland Anti-abortion Alliance (who wants to take the name and copy SF funding arrangements?) and so will others find ways and loopholes.

It is not good for democracy when foreign money is involved. And that applies to Friends of Fine Gael or Galway tent FF but by far the biggest offender is SF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Yes, partition comes in handy for them.

If one way of fundraising isn't possible in one jurisdiction, then just attribute it to the other jurisdiction and vice versa.

Am I the only one worried about the potential for the malign influence on domestic politics of foreign donors? If we allow it for SF, why can't we allow rich American anti-abortion groups to fund referenda campaigns against abortion?

Some people on here are so desperate to protect their own party SF from all criticism that they don't see the bigger picture.
    The money is donated to Ni not the ROI,please point out where in the 5 page article(if you even read it) where you read that the money was going to the ROI.?
    Just answer that question before you try and skew the thread in to an abortion thread.

And on the partition issue you have stated on another thread that we have voted to partion Ireland forever,do you want to retract that or carry on making a fool of yourself with your wild hate filled diatribes that has no basis in reality?

tipptom wrote: »
    The money is donated to Ni not the ROI,please point out where in the 5 page article(if you even read it) where you read that the money was going to the ROI.?
    Just answer that question before you try and skew the thread in to an abortion thread.

And on the partition issue you have stated on another thread that we have voted to partion Ireland forever,do you want to retract that or carry on making a fool of yourself with your wild hate filled diatribes that has no basis in reality?

It doesn't have to go to the ROI to influence politics here.

Large American donor: I want to give money to your party so that you change the laws in the South when you get into government.
    SF fundraiser: We can't accept your money in the South because foreign donations are banned but if you give the money to our Northern arm, we will be eternally grateful and we will do what you want in the South. Here is Gerry, you can talk to him about what you want.

That is a crude example how partition works for SF in this case in allowing them to accept foreign donations in the North and how it might influence policy in the South. It is the one party, right?

Again, by focussing on my political views, you are shooting the messenger and not debating the message. Foreign influence on domestic politics is bad.

Large American donor: I want to give money to your party so that you change the laws in the South when you get into government.
    SF fundraiser: We can't accept your money in the South because foreign donations are banned but if you give the money to our Northern arm, we will be eternally grateful and we will do what you want in the South. Here is Gerry, you can talk to him about what you want.

That is a crude example how partition works for SF in this case in allowing them to accept foreign donations in the North and how it might influence policy in the South. It is the one party, right?

Again, by focussing on my political views, you are shooting the messenger and not debating the message. Foreign influence on domestic politics is bad.
    I would debate the message if that was stated In the Irish Times article which started the thread that the money was going to the ROI but it wasn't and you seem to be fairly sure it is and when you prove that to me it can be debated,forgive me but I am not going to debate something on what you hope it might be.

You never answered the other question on your version of what we voted for on partition in Ireland.

I would debate the message if that was stated In the Irish Times article which started the thread that the money was going to the ROI but it wasn't and you seem to be fairly sure it is and when you prove that to me it can be debated,forgive me but I am not going to debate something on what you hope it might be.

I never said it was going to Ireland, I said it was going to SF. It doesn't matter whether it goes into to the coffers in Ireland or in the UK as it will have the same malign influence on the party regardless.
    You never answered the other question on your version of what we voted for on partition in Ireland.

Your question has no relevance to the current thread.

I never said it was going to Ireland, I said it was going to SF. It doesn't matter whether it goes into to the coffers in Ireland or in the UK as it will have the same malign influence on the party regardless.

Your question has no relevance to the current thread.
    Money donated to SF in NI has no relevance to SF in the ROI in this thread unless you can prove otherwise which you clearly cannot.

You were the one who brought up partition!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Firstly, Im baffled that nobody is pointing out that your entire assertion is based on something you've just made up off the top of your head.
    Secondly, does SF, a party whose members from top to bottom earn the average industrial wage, really sound like a party that is going to allow policy to be influenced by an outside donor.
    The absolute bullsh!t spewed on this site when SF come up is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

What's the sanction for breaking this so called law?
    Well, they're Acts so by definition they're not "so called" laws, they are laws.

As for sanctions, there are many included - it just depends on what section of which you are in breach.

• Advertisement

Well, they're Acts so by definition they're not "so called" laws, they are laws.

As for sanctions, there are many included - it just depends on what section of which you are in breach.

What's the sanction for 'breaking the law' by not paying a utility bill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,995 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Before expectationlost reminds me again, I know such funding is banned here in Ireland but not in the UK, but Sinn Fein have found a way around the rules by directing the money to the North meaning it gets lost in the mix and if they can do that, so can the All-Ireland Anti-abortion Alliance (who wants to take the name and copy SF funding arrangements?) and so will others find ways and loopholes.

which is anti-abortion alliance is funding which political party in the north and then channelling it to which party in the south?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

There's no offence for non-payment of a bill. The legislation simply provides for water services authority to discontinue or restrict the supply of non-payers. In the case of domestic users, they can only restrict supply.

Late payment penalties can also be added to arrears.

Not quite sure what this has to do with SF fundraising, but there you go....

Firstly, Im baffled that nobody is pointing out that your entire assertion is based on something you've just made up off the top of your head.
    Secondly, does SF, a party whose members from top to bottom earn the average industrial wage, really sound like a party that is going to allow policy to be influenced by an outside donor.
    The absolute bullsh!t spewed on this site when SF come up is ridiculous.
    Been pointing that out to him all along and asked him to back up his assertions three times but he just ignores it and carries on with the makey uppey stuff because he saw SF in a thread,its pointless.

Watchdog: Sinn Féin overseas fundraising is beyond our remit

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/watchdog-sinn-fin-overseas-fundraising-is-beyond-our-remit-31051002.html
    Mr O'Neill (SIPOC) said he had been shown no evidence to suggest that the party was committing anything untoward.

There's no offence for non-payment of a bill. The legislation simply provides for water services authority to discontinue or restrict the supply of non-payers. In the case of domestic users, they can only restrict supply.

Late payment penalties can also be added to arrears.

Not quite sure what this has to do with SF fundraising, but there you go....

That's what I thought myself.

In post 92 a poster brought up something about 'law breakers' not paying water charges.

I asked what law was been broken.

In post 98 another poster replied 'Water Services Act'.

I was just curious to know what law had been broken and as you've pointed out above, none has.

It seems some posters just want to continually link the words 'law breakers' with 'Sinn fein'.

That's all, we can move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Elaborate please, with facts that have any semblance of truth, not what you are hoping it would be.

It's my opinion that this looks dodgy. If money donated to SF in NI is being used to fund SF in the ROI then I have a problem with it. While it may not be a breach of the letter of the law it would be a breach of the spirit of the law.

I've said before that I would consider voting for SF at the next election. However, I take issue with any party playing fast and loose with rules regarding party donations.

Seems to be a lot of accusations and innuendo made on this thread when the usual suspects see SF being mentioned without a scintilla of evidence to back it up and I am sure if it was not SF that they were levelled at there would be warnings given to back the accusations up.
    [/QUOTE]

This kind of nonsense is what will put a lot of people off voting for SF. If they want to be treated the same as other parties then they (and their supporters) have to start accepting that the rules and norms of political life in the Republic apply to them the same as everyone else. That includes objective scrutiny by the media. The tendency to dismiss every unflattering about the party as evidence of media bias is starting to wear thin.

Been pointing that out to him all along and asked him to back up his assertions three times but he just ignores it and carries on with the makey uppey stuff because he saw SF in a thread,its pointless.

The SIPO comments are very interesting.

He confirms that he has no remit outside the State, which we expected. So nothing SF is doing is illegal and I have not suggested that.

I have suggested that it is wrong, and bad for politics which is a different thing altogether.

Asking me to prove something is wrong is impossible.

I believe it is wrong that political parties in the State are indirectly funded from abroad through being registered as a political party in another jurisdiction because that opens the opportunity for foreign influences on domestic politics. You can't prove my opinion right or wrong and I am fully entitled to hold it.

It is interesting that the response to date has only been to ask me to back it up or prove it illegal, when the only proof I need for my opinion is there in black and white. SF the party got funds from the USA.

Not one person has defended the SF fundraising on the basis that it is right and fair and proper that Irish political parties are funded by North American organisations. That says a lot.

It is quite tiresome that the minute someone offers an opinion about anything SF they are asked to prove it by criminal court standards or withdraw it. Something can be very wrong without being illegal. This is one of those cases.

It's my opinion that this looks dodgy. If money donated to SF in NI is being used to fund SF in the ROI then I have a problem with it. While it may not be a breach of the letter of the law it would be a breach of the spirit of the law.

I've said before that I would consider voting for SF at the next election. However, I take issue with any party playing fast and loose with rules regarding party donations.

How about Fine Gael having fundraising 'dinner's' in London?

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CC8QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fpolitics%2Ffg-london-fundraiser-charges-100-for-dinner-with-taoiseach-1.1914655&ei=jeL9VPGuB-a07gbD8IDADQ&usg=AFQjCNFJsZeBWSHuhQn_1MP0Y44NPWDYXw

Or getting money from developers?

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=12&ved=0CD4QFjABOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.newsscoops.org%2F%3Fp%3D291&ei=KeP9VMHpMMaE7gaproH4Bw&usg=AFQjCNF4Iv5BLhneFC7cypdCQNmHn0htrQ

All above board?

• Advertisement

The SIPO comments are very interesting.

He confirms that he has no remit outside the State, which we expected. So nothing SF is doing is illegal and I have not suggested that.

I have suggested that it is wrong, and bad for politics which is a different thing altogether.

Asking me to prove something is wrong is impossible.

I believe it is wrong that political parties in the State are indirectly funded from abroad through being registered as a political party in another jurisdiction because that opens the opportunity for foreign influences on domestic politics. You can't prove my opinion right or wrong and I am fully entitled to hold it.

It is interesting that the response to date has only been to ask me to back it up or prove it illegal, when the only proof I need for my opinion is there in black and white. SF the party got funds from the USA.

Not one person has defended the SF fundraising on the basis that it is right and fair and proper that Irish political parties are funded by North American organisations. That says a lot.

It is quite tiresome that the minute someone offers an opinion about anything SF they are asked to prove it by criminal court standards or withdraw it. Something can be very wrong without being illegal. This is one of those cases.

All the above, of course, is your opinion.

Not everyone has that opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

If you bothered to read my post I said I have a problem with any party being opaque about how they are funded and where their donations come from.

I never have and never will vote for FG, FF, PDs or whatever Lucinda & co. call themselves.

If you bothered to read my post I said I have a problem with any party being opaque about how they are funded and where their donations come from.

Jesus!
    I only asked you a question.

£100 a plate dinners are hardly going to raise much money.

If it is a decent meal and a couple of drinks thrown in, you are looking at more than half of that money going on costs, before you pay for the expenses of bringing over Ministers or whoever to speak at them.

All of that appears to be above board according to the regulations. I would like to see greater transparency, the €5000 disclosure limit may well be too high. However, there is nothing wrong with people in Ireland financially supporting political parties in Ireland, there should be a place for that in every democracy subject to rules, regulations and transparency. It is influence from outside a country that is suspect.

£100 a plate dinners are hardly going to raise much money.

If it is a decent meal and a couple of drinks thrown in, you are looking at more than half of that money going on costs, before you pay for the expenses of bringing over Ministers or whoever to speak at them.

All of that appears to be above board according to the regulations. I would like to see greater transparency, the €5000 disclosure limit may well be too high. However, there is nothing wrong with people in Ireland financially supporting political parties in Ireland, there should be a place for that in every democracy subject to rules, regulations and transparency. It is influence from outside a country that is suspect.

So, money from developers in Ireland is ok, as well as money from god knows who at dinner parties in London, as long as it's FG?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

So, money from developers in Ireland is ok, as well as money from god knows who at dinner parties in London, as long as it's FG?

Don't forget fine Gael sugar daddy Denis o Brien. And we know how he made he's money dont we?

But that's okay according to the government stooges on here!

• Advertisement

I wonder whether SF is one party, probably is.

money from developers [that is allowable under sipoc rules]

god knows who, [Irish citizens], at dinner parties in London

Have SF broken any of sipoc rules?

Leaving aside the debate about political parties raising money from outside Ireland, isn't it magnanimous of Americans to donate money to an Irish political party that is at best indifferent and at worst hostile to American political interests? And isn't it impressive that Sinn Féin can raise that kind of money even though it wants to govern on the basis of a foreign policy that is indifferent or hostile to the interests of the United States of America?

• Advertisement

Have SF broken any of sipoc rules?
    don't think so, no

Leaving aside the debate about political parties raising money from outside Ireland, isn't it magnanimous of Americans to donate money to an Irish political party that is at best indifferent and at worst hostile to American political interests? And isn't it impressive that Sinn Féin can raise that kind of money even though it wants to govern on the basis of a foreign policy that is indifferent or hostile to the interests of the United States of America?

obviously there was an area where their interests over lap, Northern Ireland, I don't know how hostile SF is to American interest with the NI government working to decrease NI corporation tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

It is influence from outside a country that is suspect.

Various groups donate to various parties. This Sinn Fein episode including some Hollywood actors is hardly at the level of lying to the electorate or bankrupting the country. Frankly, it's not much of a story. If there was no Hollywood connection it would have barely seen print.

People of Irish decent in the states? Or is it sinister simply because it's Sinn Fein?

As regards anyone asking if laws are being broken, it's par for the course. If people were locked up purely on public moral opinion Fianna Fail would be in a dark hole somewhere years ago with Fine Gael not far behind.

The whole thing smells of barrel scraping. I've not read every post but I assume the IRA and 'no policies' has already made the rounds.

Some on here make a concerted effort to stifle any talk of leaving the civil war parties aside for a term. I think it might help the country a great deal to in the least change the chancer gene pool for a government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Lockstep wrote: »
    Fairly interesting stuff: SF received large donations over the last two decades from a variety of sources, from unions to celebrities (Martin Sheen and Viggo Mortenson)

Not really sure what's so interesting about any party having an efficient fund raising machine. But for me, it does become interesting when a contributor ends up influencing the reigns of power. Unlike the likes of Fine Gael & Fianna Fáil who have previous form in this department. Sinn Féin don't since they have never been in government. So until then, we'll have to wait and see if they'll eventually join this exclusive & corrupt little club.

For Reals wrote: »
    Various groups donate to various parties. This Sinn Fein episode including some Hollywood actors is hardly at the level of lying to the electorate or bankrupting the country. Frankly, it's not much of a story. If there was no Hollywood connection it would have barely seen print.

People of Irish decent in the states? Or is it sinister simply because it's Sinn Fein?

some could be but i don't think the American records make that distinction, we can't see donations from a NI perpective and any (recent) donations by Irish in the US are probably below the disclosure treshold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Gotta love the Socialist Party's reaction to it.
    Why is Big Business showering Sinn Féin with money?

obviously there was an area where their interests over lap, Northern Ireland, I don't know how hostile SF is to American interest with the NI government working to decrease NI corporation tax.

I was thinking more about how impressive it is that Sinn Féin can persuade Americans and American businesses to donate money while opposing the United States in the foreign policy arena.

Perhaps the notion of patriotism means very little to some people.

I was thinking more about how impressive it is that Sinn Féin can persuade Americans and American businesses to donate money while opposing the United States in the foreign policy arena.

again overriding interests at certain times, McGuinness and Kissinger post ceasefire

mcguinness_home__marty_and_kissinger_.jpg

SF opposition to Americas foreign policy is limited too.

NI doesn't really have its own foreign policy but they were happy to invite US military contractors into the north for jobs in the guise of 'peace dividend' in association with the already existing Shorts company.

I doubt they'd really challenge them or stop military flights, if in government here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I had no idea that patriotism was comprised of backing every decision made by one's Government regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

Lockstep wrote: »
    Fairly interesting stuff: SF received large donations over the last two decades from a variety of sources, from unions to celebrities (Martin Sheen and Viggo Mortenson)

Source

All our fat little piggy builders and bankers pump cash into fg and the others and have done fir years with little media attention,not to mention they keep all records hidden away in a vault probably beside joans heart and enda balls

• Advertisement

Fianna Fails and the rests turn now

US donors gave Fianna Fáil nearly $1.3 million
    Donors to party between 1984 and 2000 included businessmen, clergy and unions
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/us-donors-gave-fianna-f%C3%A1il-nearly-1-3-million-1.2181640

other parties mentioned at bottom of article, any fundraising done abroad now, donations come from Irish Citizens

US arm was a relatively small part of Fianna Fáil fund-raising operation
    American funding was small beer compared to activities in Ireland
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/us-arm-was-a-relatively-small-part-of-fianna-f%C3%A1il-fund-raising-operation-1.2181705

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Wow. $1.3m in 16 years really makes the $12m figure SF received look quite staggering. In 4 more years, SF raised almost 9.25 times more money from US donors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Fianna Fails and the rests turn now

US donors gave Fianna Fáil nearly $1.3 million
    Donors to party between 1984 and 2000 included businessmen, clergy and unions
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/us-donors-gave-fianna-f%C3%A1il-nearly-1-3-million-1.2181640

other parties mentioned at bottom of article, any fundraising done abroad now, donations come from Irish Citizens

US arm was a relatively small part of Fianna Fáil fund-raising operation
    American funding was small beer compared to activities in Ireland
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/us-arm-was-a-relatively-small-part-of-fianna-f%C3%A1il-fund-raising-operation-1.2181705

That was the money they declared. I'd imagine the money collected by fianna fail is multiples of ten times that, all collected in big suitcases by a few of there bagmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭Good loser

That was the money they declared. I'd imagine the money collected by fianna fail is multiples of ten times that, all collected in big suitcases by a few of there bagmen.

Did Sinn Fein launder their money too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joe912

Wow. $1.3m in 16 years really makes the $12m figure SF received look quite staggering. In 4 more years, SF raised almost 9.25 times more money from US donors.

This is a sign of good things to come we can only imagine the billions of inward investment from America when sinn fein gets in to government

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

joe912 wrote: »
    This is a sign of good things to come we can only imagine the billions of inward investment from America when sinn fein gets in to government

Yep, because execs in companies will be wooed by SF's tax policies - they'll be rushing to get here to pay wealth taxes and a third level of income tax.

Good loser wrote: »
    Did Sinn Fein launder their money too?
    The Irish Times had a good go at trying to smear them with that in their 5 front pages article,more of the Irish media/establishment party's collusion to try and subvert a democratic state election by smear and innuendo.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The Irish Times had a good go at trying to smear them with that in their 5 front pages article,more of the Irish media/establishment party's collusion to try and subvert a democratic state election by smear and innuendo.

Do you have any evidence to suggest that there is collusion between the Irish media and establishment parties that they are trying to subvert an election?

Or is it the case that an investigative journalist did some digging, found some dirt and published it? Surely if the Irish Times were biased in favour of "establishment party's" and against SF, they would never publish any criticism of the government?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Are they smearing Fianna Fail too by highlighting how much money they raised from the US?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Do you have any evidence to suggest that there is collusion between the Irish media and establishment parties that they are trying to subvert an election?

Or is it the case that an investigative journalist did some digging, found some dirt and published it? Surely if the Irish Times were biased in favour of "establishment party's" and against SF, they would never publish any criticism of the government?

Surely you've learned how this works at this stage:

Investigative journalism targetting Sinn Féin = smear; newspaper is controlled by FG/FF/DOB/Lizard people

Investigative journalism targetting FF/FG/Labour = public interest/showing them for what they really are; printed in newspaper so it must be gospel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement