Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sinn Féin received €12million in donations from US

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Whoa,scores of mods jump in their right wing agendas all at once,impressive!
    And SF defenders on boards wonder why the mods are so biased against them.
    The Irish Times printed 5 front pages saying SF fund raises in the US,no sh*t Sherlock.
    All this information is available on public record(investigative journalism my arse)and more from SF on public record that they did not have to publish and where is the dirt they have dug up?

Maybe you all have got dizzy from other snippets in the IT like "Some say Simon Harris is the Irish Barak Obama" and their colour features excusing Labour complete lies on what they would do when elected.

Now they are embarrassed about their non story and their smears and innuendo has not done anything to SFs popularity they are trying to pretend that it is a series of story's of party's fundraising,embarresing indeed.
    Boards is just a little microcosim of what is going on out there between the press/media and the party's to smear one party with high ratings and anybody who might want a fair election regardless of who they vote for

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

So the conspiracy now involves the Irish media, establishment parties and Boards mods?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭blackwhite

tipptom wrote: »
    The Irish Times printed 5 front pages saying SF fund raises in the US,no sh*t Sherlock.
    All this information is available on public record(investigative journalism my arse)and more from SF on public record that they did not have to publish and where is the dirt they have dug up?

Maybe you all have got dizzy from other snippets in the IT like "Some say Simon Harris is the Irish Barak Obama" and their colour features excusing Labour complete lies on what they would do when elected.

Now they are embarrassed about their non story and their smears and innuendo has not done anything to SFs popularity they are trying to pretend that it is a series of story's of party's fundraising,embarresing indeed.
    Boards is just a little microcosim of what is going on out there between the press/media and the party's to smear one party with high ratings and anybody who might want a fair election regardless of who they vote for

So much paranoia in one post.

Really more suitable for here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I take it money raised and kept outside the jurisdiction doesn't get notified to SIPOC?

SF always have the advantage of operating in another jurisdiction allowing the 'outside' arm to almost act like a Super-PAC for the elements of the party operating in the Republic.

Where is the dirt that this piece of Pulitzer prize winning investigative journalism dug up(all on public record) lads?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Where is the dirt that this piece of Pulitzer prize winning investigative journalism dug up(all on public record) lads?

http://www.fec.gov/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Distilled Media which owns Boards also owns The Journal (a notorious left-leaning and pro-SF hack e-tabloid). If anything, I'd say that vast majority of Boards mods are pinkos.

:pac:

I'm waiting for this dirt!

The SI wouldn't have even run this as any self respecting editor would have asked where the story is, but I guess this is the IT attempt at trying to copy them in the race to the bottom of Irish journalism and it is going to get a lot worse getting towards the election if SF holds its position in the polls.

All you mods get together there now and see can you come up with the dirt this so famously dug up instead of smears and innuendo.

I'm waiting for this dirt!

The SI wouldn't have even run this as any self respecting editor would have asked where the story is, but I guess this is the IT attempt at trying to copy them in the race to the bottom of Irish journalism and it is going to get a lot worse getting towards the election if SF holds its position in the polls.

All you mods get together there now and see can you come up with the dirt this so famously dug up instead of smears and innuendo.

Can I ask - are you deliberately trying to get this thread moved to the Cafe for some reason?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Well, your post was so vague that it had been reported as being below the standards. Rather than take moderator action I decided to take a softly softly approach, as I'm doing now towards your attack on the mods above. But let's keep moderation out of it - you're free to claim that we are biased in the Feedback thread.

He who asserts must prove. You made an assertion that there is collusion between the establishment parties and the media (presumably, more specifically, between FG/Lab government and the Irish Times). So present your case and your evidence to back it up. Please don't just get defensive and attack others. This thread is on Sinn Fein's funding from the US. You made a point that the way in which it is reported is biased or otherwise due to a conspiracy. If the above is all you have to back it up, now the thread can move on.

Surely it would be an unfair election if people were prevented from criticising a political party?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Well, you're defeating your own point here. If there is no dirt and there is nothing wrong with the information published in the Irish Times, how is that a conspiracy to undermine the democratic process? I'm afraid you can't have it both ways.

[...] the Feedback thread.

Please tell me there is a feedback thread! :popcorn:

Do you have any evidence to suggest that there is collusion between the Irish media and establishment parties that they are trying to subvert an election?

Or is it the case that an investigative journalist did some digging, found some dirt and published it? Surely if the Irish Times were biased in favour of "establishment party's" and against SF, they would never publish any criticism of the government?
    Ill try again.

Ill try again.

You're absolutely correct and I retract my comment and agree that there is no dirt.

Which means that when the Irish Times published the article, they did nothing more than publish uncontroversial facts, which are now being discussed on this thread.

Which means that there is no collusion between establishment parties and the Irish Media.

Which is precisely what you asserted without foundation which resulted in me getting involved in this thread.

I'm glad we all agree.

Mod: Now, back on topic, if you please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,995 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

maybe a bit of data bias, the data was there, available in US records, althoughgetting it old of old pdf'd photocopies must have been a chore, maybe there next task is to put all irish fundraising into a database

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Can I ask - are you deliberately trying to get this thread moved to the Cafe for some reason?

Nah, we are having our fun and that's all that matters!

Signed your right wing, Nazi, West Brit mod.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

thejournal have a story on more recent Friends of Sinn Fein USA donations http://www.thejournal.ie/sinn-fein-american-funding-2015-2138371-Jun2015/ that go to SF Northern Ireland
    The party has insisted that the majority of the money stays in the United States to fund its lobbying of US politicians in furthering the Northern Ireland peace process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mrsmop1

SF doesn't know what kind of party it is anymore. No philosophical identity and only purpose lately seems to simply get voted into power, north and south. They were embarrassed by the left in south over the water charges issue and did a flip flop on it. I think they really thought that King would get in in Dublin, and were shocked and horrified that the people saw it fit to elect someone who was strong from the start on Irish Water. I'm not saying SF area bad party, I just think they need to stop thinking in terms of power and winning all the time, you have to want to win something for a reason and that reason shouldn't be about the party itself, it should be about wanting to win in order to achieve power to make changes in how the country is run. In the north, we can see how SF has painted itself into a seriously bad corner. They were tasked with the governing the six counties in Stormont, and they have failed. In order to protect the most vulnerable up there, surely it would have been better to agree to welfare reform especially to spare the poor people there the indignity of the Bedroom Tax, instead what they have done is to leave the door open for the Tories to come in with all their disgusting reforms and they are probably going to load this directly onto the poor. SF have actually invited this in when they had a chance to reduce the suffering which looks almost inevitable now. Nobody likes welfare reform (apart from right wingers), but it is something the UK govt has been pursuing. SF would be forgiven for agreeing to limited welfare reform in order to protect people. By opting out of this they have created a situation whereby the Tories will make life hell for people, and SF think their hands will be clean. But they won't get away with that, we fought for years to get rid of direct rule, now the very people who opposed it are going to use it to get out of their governing responsibilities. It is all so very immature from a party who should know better. Get your philosophical orientation right first SF, everything else will flow behind it.

thejournal have a story on more recent Friends of Sinn Fein USA donations http://www.thejournal.ie/sinn-fein-american-funding-2015-2138371-Jun2015/ that go to SF Northern Ireland

SF’s US arm raises €318,000 but spends nothing in North

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/sf-s-us-arm-raises-318-000-but-spends-nothing-in-north-1.2705868 an Irish TImes headline the makes you go huh until you read the statement from last year quoted above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭imnorobot

Fairly interesting stuff: SF received large donations over the last two decades from a variety of sources, from unions to celebrities (Martin Sheen and Viggo Mortenson)

Just for balance why don't you post how much FG received please

• Advertisement

imnorobot wrote: »
    Fairly interesting stuff: SF received large donations over the last two decades from a variety of sources, from unions to celebrities (Martin Sheen and Viggo Mortenson)

Just for balance why don't you post how much FG received please
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057616429

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement