Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

www.rip.ie

• 05-03-2015 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Nothing previously here on rip.ie. Does anyone else use this site? I have managed to get some of the more recent date-of-death information, but it doesn't go back that far really. Still, it has been of some use to me recently, just thought I'd pass it on.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Very useful for current deaths - think it goes back about 8 years. Over time, it will become a valuable resource.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Yep, I use it too - very useful site.
    You have to log on now - albeit at no charge - to go back further than six months.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭cobham

RIP dates from 2009. The equivalent website for uk is
    iannounce.co.uk but not so good as based on newspaper postings and I dont think so routine in UK to post a death notice in paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

cobham wrote: »
    iannounce.co.uk but not so good as based on newspaper postings and I dont think so routine in UK to post a death notice in paper.

I didn't know that. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pluszap

Why is rip.ie offline at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

pluszap wrote: »
    Why is rip.ie offline at the moment?

Seems fine for me -- and was last night too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 hugedinosaur

cobham wrote: »

According to the FAQS under the HELP menu, records go back to July 2006.

From searching for some common surnames it seems that the first records were published on 03/07/06.

That's right. I subscribed in the hope I could get back further but there is nothing there for 2005. Pity.

Can't get on to rip.ie today. Does it take Sundays off until the notices are in the newspapers, or have I got a gremlin in the works?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Working fine here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Can't get on to rip.ie today. Does it take Sundays off until the notices are in the newspapers, or have I got a gremlin in the works?

Seems to be working fine for me. If you like you can pm me a search and i will have a look for you?!!

Thanks for the offer, but I think my personal gremlin has left. It seems ok now. Much appreciated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Anyone know do they source their information from published deaths or is it possible for someone to be on rip.ie and not in a paper?

spurious wrote: »
    Anyone know do they source their information from published deaths or is it possible for someone to be on rip.ie and not in a paper?

You pay to be listed. Entirely possible to do rip.ie only, paper only, neither, whatever

https://rip.ie/article.php?AID=181

spurious wrote: »

I don't know about that but I know of a funeral that was in the paper and wasn't on rip.ie which surprised me. Maybe the family weren't familiar with it.

Both paper(s) and rip.ie are generally done by funeral directors rather than the family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

As someone else has said you can have it in just the paper or rip.ie or both, when my own uncle died 3 years ago, my father his brother just got it in the paper and on the radio he was asked did he want it on rip.ie but said no, at the time it was E140

I prefer rip.ie to the newspapers as we no longer buy them. I think just about everyone I know who owns a computer will always check rip.ie if there is a death. Years ago I remember having to buy three days newspapers for a death notice which was delayed because the family was waiting for relatives to travel from far afield. Rip.ie is so convenient, and free!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I prefer rip.ie to the newspapers as we no longer buy them. I think just about everyone I know who owns a computer will always check rip.ie if there is a death. Years ago I remember having to buy three days newspapers for a death notice which was delayed because the family was waiting for relatives to travel from far afield. Rip.ie is so convenient, and free!

It is free, but you have to know that someone has died - I have missed lots of funerals that I should have gone to because so few put notices in the newspapers. I haven't got to the stage of checking RIP.ie every day although I have used it for genealogical purposes.

KildareFan wrote: »
    It is free, but you have to know that someone has died - I have missed lots of funerals that I should have gone to because so few put notices in the newspapers. I haven't got to the stage of checking RIP.ie every day although I have used it for genealogical purposes.

To be honest, I have set up a few alerts on rip.ie for family names so I get notification when the death is announced. This was mainly for my genealogy research. It may seem hard-hearted but I've managed to get to funerals I would never have known about otherwise, of people I already know well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭reggaeman

I use to be able to get RIP.IE. now it just won't show. My wife has the same phone and I can get it on hers. It's very odd. Would it be anything to do with my phone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You could try the full address https://rip.ie
    That might work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭cobham

My brother died in Australia and I tried to put Irish newspaper notice myself but first they insisted on contact details of undertaker in Australia for confirmation before printing. RIP also would not take details from me, only from an undertaker. I had assumed they would harvest all newspaper notices. I did not realised they had a charge.

Advertisement