Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters without 2.1 Degree

• 05-03-2015 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Just wondering does anybody have any experience of applying for a postgradauate without the level of degree that they are looking for in admissions eg . 3rd class for a 2.2 or 2.2 to 2.1? Is there much of a chance of being accepted with a lower level degree than they are asking for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Silent Runner

Does the course you are looking at specify 2.1 as minimum entry? I have a 2.2 and applied to a few courses that specified "a good first or second class honours" and still got offers. I actually had 6 offers from universities in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Imyourlad

Does the course you are looking at specify 2.1 as minimum entry? I have a 2.2 and applied to a few courses that specified "a good first or second class honours" and still got offers. I actually had 6 offers from universities in the UK.

There have been ones I have been looking at which are specify 2.1. If I applied with 2.2 had relevant experience woukd it be the case of getting a position behind those with a higher degree if there is space or woudl I not qualify atal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

I did a MSc with only a pass degree (level 7)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Imyourlad

Zipppy wrote: »
    I did a MSc with only a pass degree (level 7)

What did you do your msc in? I think I will apply anyway the only thing they can do is not accept me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Just write a good cover letter and submit it with your application.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Imyourlad wrote: »
    What did you do your msc in? I think I will apply anyway the only thing they can do is not accept me

Both computing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Silent Runner

Imyourlad wrote: »
    There have been ones I have been looking at which are specify 2.1. If I applied with 2.2 had relevant experience woukd it be the case of getting a position behind those with a higher degree if there is space or woudl I not qualify atal?

If you have relevant experience you should be fine. Just write a good personal statement and have good referee's. If you are genuinely passionate about the field/course and have a good idea of your career direction I think you should be fine. Best of luck all the same.

Advertisement