Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Company Discriminates Against Gays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

If you refuse to print civil partership ceremony invitations but don't refuse to print wedding invitations, then you're discriminating on the basis of sexuality. We can read, but can you comprehend?

They do not agree with civil partnerships..thats theyre right..thats not mean theyre discriminating individually

I am not against black people, I just dont support their right to vote.

Agree or disagree with their actions but dont pretend that they aren't prejudiced.

I don't think you understood my point.

"I just dont support their right to vote" does not necessarily mean I am "against" the right to vote.

As it happens I don't support a heroin addict's right to vote, but that doesn't mean I believe their right to vote should be revoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Who's rights trump who's in this case that's what it will come down to in a court case.

It really won't. A limited company doesn't have any religious beliefs in law, or a right to freedom of religious expression.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

MadDog76 wrote: »
    How much time did those bakers get who refused to put the Groom & Groom on the wedding cake .......... or was it just a hefty fine they got??? :rolleyes:

That case has not gone to court yet.

But I am very suspicous of this latest 'stand' by bigots because there is a very obvious similarity of these 'christians' manufacturing a similar incident in an attempt to soap box about SSM before the referendum on same. Similarly in NI they matter is current as it looks like SSM will likley be legislated for.

I am just waiting on theChristian Institure to get involved....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

You can have your beliefs but you can't discriminate against people in a business environment. If you don't like gay marriage, then don't get gay married. You can't discriminate against a same sex couple even if you disapprove of their love.

That was never said, And we are having a Referendum on this issue are you saying people who vote no are discriminating ?

Should not be need to be said but I will be voting yes...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

gozunda wrote: »
    That case has not gone to court yet.

But I am very suspicous of this latest 'stand' by bigots because there is a very obvious similarity of these 'christians' manufacturing a similar incident in an attempt to soap box about SSM before the referendum on same. Similarly in NI they matter is current as it looks like SSM will likley be legislated for.

I am just waiting on theChristian Institure to get involved....

So there is a case pending ....... ???

It really won't. A limited company doesn't have any religious beliefs in law, or a right to freedom of religious expression.

I'm sure his rights under the constitution will be hard to remove. As I said it will come to who's are seen as relevant in this case.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

bjork wrote: »
    He went to the media before going to the solicitors, surprisingly
    The second I see or hear of someone who is apparently a victim of any crime going to the media, or social media before the law I instantly call shenanigans. They're either attention seeking muppets and/or know full well they haven't a leg to stand on in law and are just asking for a baying mob with torches and pitchforks.

My take is this; their business, their rules and on the other side if customers feel this is out of order, then their custom, their rules and they can choose to boycott said business and go elsewhere.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Specialun wrote: »
    Good grief mate go visit specsavers.nowhere did the printers say they refused him because his gay
    “We are not against homosexuals, however, we do not support same sex marriage, which printing wedding invitations would do.”
    CAN YOU READ THE ABOVE
    Rofl you comparing the printers to muderers

NO NEED TO SHOUT!

Did I say 'gay' - maybe you should go to your local optician - just make sure they serve your particular type first ok?
    The facts of the case is they discrimated against a customer based on his sexuality. The excuse they just wouldn't print that kind of thing is Bollochs tbh. That defence won't wash. It was not a ' comparison' btw - read it again. It's used as a parable but without the religion ok ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

nokia69 wrote: »
    its not their sexuality thats the problem

its the invites they want him to make

he should have the right to tell them no if he wants

Lets all try find loop holes to defend bigotry :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Companies don't discriminate against gays. Idiots do. Gay money spends the same as everyone elses. Also, it's drogheda. Attitudes there have a bit of catching up to do. The 1970's is still alive and well.

MadDog76 wrote: »
    So there is a case pending ....... ???

Yes indeed ....

I believe the free market has a way of sorting things like this out.

If a business is that discriminatory against people they don't then they will lose money, so let them put their money where their mouth is.

We shouldn't have a mob mentality of forcing people to do things against their religious beliefs, especially if they are willing to forego profits to uphold those beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I'm sure his rights under the constitution will be hard to remove. As I said it will come to who's are seen as relevant in this case.

No, it's simply who has broken the law.

As people are having difficulty comprehending what discrimination is, let me quote from the act:
    Discrimination (general).

3.—(1) For the purposes of this Act, discrimination shall be taken to occur where

(a) on any of the grounds specified in subsection (2) (in this Act referred to as “the discriminatory grounds”) which exists at present or previously existed but no longer exists or may exist in the future, or which is imputed to the person concerned, a person is treated less favourably than another person is, has been or would be treated,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Oh God :(

It's more wide spread than imagined :(

Welcome to Bellatrix, a women-only B&B in the village of Castletownbere in West Cork.

We welcome women from all over the world - come stay with us amid stunning natural beauty and meet other women,

We welcome women from all walks of life - young or old, active or happily retired.
    We welcome mothers with their children and boys up to the age of 12.

Clientele Welcomed: Lesbian, Straight
    http://www.purpleroofs.com/bellatrix-ire.html

I'll have to get himself to ring with a booking tomorrow $$
    I might ring joe duffy and tell him how devastated I am

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

That was never said, And we are having a Referendum on this issue are you saying people who vote no are discriminating ?

Should not be need to be said but I will be voting yes...

People are entitled to have beliefs. They are not entitled to bring those beliefs into the business environment that deals with members of the public. That's the point I'm making.

There are plenty of white shopkeepers that don't like black people for whatever reason, but they can't refuse their custom.

The same principle applies. The fact that the belief against gay stuff is religious based is irrelevant.

NO NEED TO SHOUT!

Did I say 'gay' - maybe you should go to your local optician - just make sure they serve your particular type first ok?
    The facts of the case is they discrimated against a customer based on his sexuality. The excuse they just would print that kind of thing is Bollochs tbh. That defence won't wash. It was not a ' comparison' btw - read it again. It's used as a parable but without the religion ok ;)

My particular type??? EDIT

Btw thats not the fact of the case atal

NO NEED TO SHOUT!

The facts of the case is they discrimated against a customer based on his sexuality. The excuse they just would print that kind of thing is Bollochs tbh. That defence won't wash. It was not a ' comparison' btw - read it again. It's used as a parable but without the religion ok ;)

I look forward to following this case in the Courts if it's such and issue.

Who's rights trump who's in this case that's what it will come down to in a court case.

More to do as to who broke the law tbh ...

Whose rights? The company has no religious beliefs to defend. The owners clearly do, but then the company's a legally separate person to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

NO NEED TO SHOUT!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057390823&page=5

Not really relevant but I found that funny ........... read my post in full :D

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

What can I do if I walk into a printer shop and ask for gay wedding ceremony print outs for friends and the printer shop gives the same response?

Edit: Straight, white & Irish fwiw.

Specialun wrote: »
    My particular type??? Go on give me a laugh and tell me what type am I

Btw thats not the fact of the case atal

That's the point! In your alternative world a business owner could potentially discriminate against anyone, type big, skinny, frizzy hair, single mother - whatever! Do you understand that?

Oh God :(

It's more wide spread than imagined :(

Welcome to Bellatrix, a women-only B&B in the village of Castletownbere in West Cork.

We welcome women from all over the world - come stay with us amid stunning natural beauty and meet other women,

We welcome women from all walks of life - young or old, active or happily retired.
    We welcome mothers with their children and boys up to the age of 12.

Clientele Welcomed: Lesbian, Straight
    http://www.purpleroofs.com/bellatrix-ire.html

I'll have to get himself to ring with a booking tomorrow $$
    I might ring joe duffy and tell him how devastated I am

You know that sounds a hell of a lot like a holiday resort for female victims of domestic violence? Are you really such an awful human being that you think it's unfair that women who've been the victims of emotional and physical abuse are able to go to a B&B without worrying about having to share close quarters with a man?

You know that sounds a hell of a lot like a holiday resort for female victims of domestic violence? Are you really such an awful human being that you think it's unfair that women who've been the victims of emotional and physical abuse are able to go to a B&B without worrying about having to share close quarters with a man?

About the website

We started Purple Roofs in 1999, and we're still the best place to find small, "family owned" and gay friendly accommodations, with more than 4,800 bed and breakfasts, hotels, vacation rentals and other properties around the world.

Since when have victims of domestic abuse groups advertised on gay holiday websites?? Is this a new thing? :pac:

I see so it's not the right kind of Discrimination then ? Odd that is it not.... Why would Lesbians that are victims of domestic violence want to be around other women ?

That's the point! In your alternative world a business owner could potentially discriminate against anyone, type big, skinny, frizzy hair, single mother - whatever! Do you understand that?

Rofl

Go away to sleep or go give your head a wobble..for the last hour you have:

Waved away the printers side of the story

Assumed

Ignored the facts

Its gas how one sided you have actually been..i cant make out is it select visionr what

Just go have a lie down

BTW if i vote no in the upcoming referendum am i a bigot too?

Extremely rare? This isn't even the first time a printer's refusal to serve a gay couple has made the headlines in the last two years.

Also, I'll believe this guy on how rare it is or not
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/republic-of-ireland/beulah-print-in-drogheda-stands-by-civil-partnership-ceremony-invite-snub-31044020.html

Tiernan Brady, of the Dublin-based Gay and Lesbian Equality Network (Glen), said: "Without getting into the specifics of this case, the law of the land in Ireland is very clear - it's against the law to deny goods or services.

"That's a good law and it's there for a reason, as it protects people."

Mr Brady said it was his experience that the denial of goods or services to gay people was a rare occurrence in Ireland with the vast majority of the public in favour of laws to protect the community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

If a devout Muslim owned a grocery shop and refused to handle ham at the deli counter because of their adherence to their faith and beliefs it could be considered ridiculous by the majority but wouldn't be labelled as bigotry and discrimination. People would just shop elsewhere if they wanted a few slices of ham for their sambo.

A follower of the Christian faith with a moral objection to same sex union refuses to produce an instrument or aid requested by a same sex couple to facilitate their union and everyone rolls out the labels and indignation.

Get over yourselves. The couple were refused their request but instead of spending their money with a business prepared to oblige, they whooped it up in the press and mobilised the flock of sheep to draw attention to something which is not newsworthy.

All credit to the owners of that printing business for following their moral compass. I wouldn't object were I in their shoes but fair fecks to them for putting their principles before profit.

To the unhappy couple, stop bitching. Plenty of other printing works will produce what you need. The classy and self respectful action would have been to stop giving them your business entirely, based on your own principles. Feeding a media circus with your non-event is melodramatic horsecrap.

• Advertisement

About the website

We started Purple Roofs in 1999, and we're still the best place to find small, "family owned" and gay friendly accommodations, with more than 4,800 bed and breakfasts, hotels, vacation rentals and other properties around the world.

Since when have victims of domestic abuse groups advertised on gay holiday websites?? Is this a new thing? :pac:

I'm out. They'd advertise because lesbian couples are a huge market for female-only B&Bs and would likely be the difference between survival as a going concern and oblivion as a business. Ten seconds of thought would have told you that, but you'd rather make a cheap joke. Classy.

I'm done talking to the same four people flatly refusing to read a word anyone else writes and spouting the same bull**** post after post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement