Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Company Discriminates Against Gays

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

I'm out. They'd advertise because lesbian couples are a huge market for female-only B&Bs and would likely be the difference between survival as a going concern and oblivion as a business. Ten seconds of thought would have told you that, but you'd rather make a cheap joke. Classy.

I'm done talking to the same four people flatly refusing to read a word anyone else writes and spouting the same bull**** post after post.

Uh oh

But what about the Equal Status act we're loving so much?
    You can't discriminate on gender

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I'm out. They'd advertise because lesbian couples are a huge market for female-only B&Bs and would likely be the difference between survival as a going concern and oblivion as a business. Ten seconds of thought would have told you that, but you'd rather make a cheap joke. Classy.

I'm done talking to the same four people flatly refusing to read a word anyone else writes and spouting the same bull**** post after post.

But it's Discrimination by definition according to everyone in this thread. Why is it not then ? Are we picking and choosing where to apply the law now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

MadDog76 wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057390823&page=5

Not really relevant but I found that funny ........... read my post in full :D

This one?
    +1 on this. I was in Lidl today and some Dad was allowing his 2 kids to use the place as a race track/playground. Occassionally he'd make a vague half hearted comment on how they should calm down. Seriously, what dafuq is it with some parents? There's no way my parents would have let us run around a supermarket.

"They need to be free to express themselves physically ......... "

Bizarre :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

If a devout Muslim owned a grocery shop and refused to handle ham at the deli counter because of their adherence to their faith and beliefs it could be considered ridiculous by the majority but wouldn't be labelled as bigotry and discrimination. People would just shop elsewhere if they wanted a few slices of ham for their sambo.

A follower of the Christian faith with a moral objection to same sex union refuses to produce an instrument or aid requested by a same sex couple to facilitate their union and everyone rolls out the labels and indignation.

Get over yourselves. The couple were refused their request but instead of spending their money with a business prepared to oblige, they whooped it up in the press and mobilised the flock of sheep to draw attention to something which is not newsworthy.

All credit to the owners of that printing business for following their moral compass. I wouldn't object were I in their shoes but fair fecks to them for putting their principles before profit.

To the unhappy couple, stop bitching. Plenty of other printing works will produce what you need. The classy and self respectful action would have been to stop giving them your business entirely, based on your own principles. Feeding a media circus with your non-event is melodramatic horsecrap.

So you are complaining about people complaining.

Oh at least you called them a couple. That must be hard for you.

Specialun wrote: »
    Rofl

Go away to sleep or go give your head a wobble..for the last hour you have:
    Waved away the printers side of the story
    Assumed
    Ignored the facts
    Its gas how one sided you have actually been..i cant make out is it select visionr whatJust go have a lie down
    BTW if i vote no in the upcoming referendum am i a bigot too?

Good - you've stopped screaming. They must be working :)

I would seriously suggest you try and think about the issues raised in this thread. I mean really think - about the implications of leaving bigots to run around and discriminate against anyone they like including yourself, your friends, your family - because they can / could in your little world - and they wouldn't need any excuse ...

If you think you are a bigot, well who am I to say otherwise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

gozunda wrote: »
    Good - you've stopped screaming. They must be working :)

I would seriously suggest you try and think about the issues raised in this thread. I mean really think - about the implications of leaving bigots to run around and discriminate against anyone they like including yourself, your friends, your family - because they can could in your little world - and they wouldn't need any excuse ...

If you think you are a bigot, well who am I to say otherwise?

Answer the question

If i vote no in the upcome ref am I a bigot?

If you like a simple yes or no will suffice

But it's Discrimination by definition according to everyone in this thread. Why is it not then ? Are we picking and choosing where to apply the law now ?

I hope it's not the B&B the lads have their eye on for the Honeymoon, now that would be ironic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

So you are complaining about people complaining.

Oh at least you called them a couple. That must be hard for you.

They are a couple. Why would that be difficult for me?

What's this now.... Ah right.... I've applied good old fashioned common sense so I must be some kind of bigot, right?

Jesus wept....

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

eviltwin wrote: »
    They have dealt with him in the past so they haven't discriminated against him because he is gay strictly speaking.

Ok but then arguably they are discriminating against him on the civil status ground!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

"I have literally never heard of the concept of a justifiable exemption. Instead of being rightly ashamed of this gap in my knowledge, I'm going to parade it to the world!"

• Advertisement

bjork wrote: »
    I hope it's not the B&B the lads have their eye on for the Honeymoon, now that would be ironic :D

Well to be fair I do have sympathy for the man in Question. But As an adult if this had happened to me. I would remove all my business for the said printer and got on with my life. I would not have ran to the Media and make a show of myself. I have been refused into nightclubs for looking to young with a passport for id Clearly discriminating I got on with my life and went to another bar.

Clarify that was over 20 years ago.

Emerson House
    Gay-only guesthouse, (in a city), County Cork, IRELAND, Ireland
    http://www.gaywelcome.com/gay-only-guesthouse-cork-ireland-h2474.html :(

They are a couple. Why would that be difficult for me?

What's this now.... Ah right.... I've applied good old fashioned common sense so I must be some kind of bigot, right?

Jesus wept....

What did you mean by a moral compass?

Emerson House
    Gay-only guesthouse, (in a city), County Cork, IRELAND, Ireland
    http://www.gaywelcome.com/gay-only-guesthouse-cork-ireland-h2474.html :(

Two wrongs don't make a right of course.

Two wrongs don't make a right of course.

So will social media be all over these 2 brought up ? Curious as it's Discrimination.

So will social media be all over these 2 brought up ? Curious as it's Discrimination.

So you're only happy if people condemn examples of where straight people are discriminated against.

Grand.

Answer the question if i vote no in the upcome ref am I a bigot?If you like a simple yes or no will suffice

You woke me up to ask me that - again?
    I did answer and only you know the answer to that question. I'm afraid I can't answer it for you ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Oh God :(

It's more wide spread than imagined :(

Welcome to Bellatrix, a women-only B&B in the village of Castletownbere in West Cork.

We welcome women from all over the world - come stay with us amid stunning natural beauty and meet other women,

We welcome women from all walks of life - young or old, active or happily retired.
    We welcome mothers with their children and boys up to the age of 12.

Clientele Welcomed: Lesbian, Straight
    http://www.purpleroofs.com/bellatrix-ire.html

I'll have to get himself to ring with a booking tomorrow $$
    I might ring joe duffy and tell him how devastated I am
    Uh oh

But what about the Equal Status act we're loving so much?
    You can't discriminate on gender
    You can, there's loads of exceptions in the legislation for discrimination.

So you're only happy if people condemn examples of where straight people are discriminated against.

Grand.

Nope, I just find it very very odd that, The Straight people get all the stick for discriminating. And these 2 establishments get "Two wrongs don't make a Right" Odd logic being able to compartmentalise which is more discriminating. We have been told again and again, “It's discrimination that's the law” With a fast google of establishments of the other community involved shows up results of discrimination it's glossed over as it does not fit the narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Rofl

Go away to sleep or go give your head a wobble..for the last hour you have:

Waved away the printers side of the story

Assumed

Ignored the facts

Its gas how one sided you have actually been..i cant make out is it select visionr what

Just go have a lie down

BTW if i vote no in the upcoming referendum am i a bigot too?

Personally I think you are, you're saying people deserve less rights than you under state law because their sexuality differs to yours. I would consider that bigotry, but whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Kalman

Some people are disgraceful, why does their sexuality matter at all.

Pass!

Nope, I just find it very very odd that, The Straight people get all the stick for discriminating. And these 2 establishments get "Two wrongs don't make a Right" Odd logic being able to compartmentalise which is more discriminating. We have been told again and again, “It's discrimination that law” With a fast google of establishments of the other community involves shows up results of discrimination it's glossed over as it does not fit the narrative.

Gay people are people as well and some will discriminate, some aren't nice etc.

If you're against discrimination, which I presume you are, you would therefore be against discrimination of gay people or any minority group.

It's also bizarre that you are sick of straight people being blamed for discrimination, rather than the discrimination itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

What did you mean by a moral compass?

Look it up. You have internet access. It's a simple concept not exclusively applicable to the religious faithful and most importantly it's something that guides those of every race, gender and sexual orientation. It's personal, to do with the individual's own morality. But then, you already know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Printing trade is crap nowadays and these are turning away business from gays. Idiots.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It's discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation - pure and simple.

Imagine if a printing company refused to do business with a black or non-Irish couple - there rightly would be uproar. So why should it be different for LGBT people?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭theboy1

Look it up. You have internet access. It's a simple concept not exclusively applicable to the religious faithful and most importantly it's something that guides those of every race, gender and sexual orientation. It's personal, to do with the individual's own morality. But then, you already know this.

Yes but I think its also important to the note the difference of discrimination. We must move forward from the well versed index and instead embrace the ideal locus don't you agree?

Its not a matter of homosexuality, that's for sure.

Gay people are people as well and some will discriminate, some aren't nice etc.

If you're against discrimination, which I presume you are, you would therefore be against discrimination of gay people or any minority group.

It's also bizarre that you are sick of straight people being blamed for discrimination, rather than the discrimination itself.

Nope, I'm sick of the Hypocrisy. I Have no problem with the Gay/lesbian only. But if your going to play that game you need to accept some people on the other side to be allowed to discriminate the same. You either want to apply the law in every case or do what most people do and get on with their lives.

Go on tell us, what does your moral compass say about being gay?

Nope, I'm sick of the Hypocrisy. I Have no problem with the Gay/lesbian only. But if your going to play that game you need to accept some people on the other side to be allowed to discriminate the same. You either want to apply the law in every case or do what most people do and get on with their lives.

You're sick of the hypocrisy. OK.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭theboy1

I think its a dangerous games regarding the sides of discrimination.I think if we are to contextualise the above we must apply a critical level of hypersensitivity in order to accurately address the problem at hand.Would you agree with that summation?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement