Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Company Discriminates Against Gays

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

You're sick of the hypocrisy. OK.

Must have misread the part where I said I was fine with Gay/Lesbian only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I don't think you understood my point.

"I just dont support their right to vote" does not necessarily mean I am "against" the right to vote.

As it happens I don't support a heroin addict's right to vote, but that doesn't mean I believe their right to vote should be revoked.

My point is its still prejudice. You dont have to support anything but when you start denying services you normally provide to people because they happen to be part of a group you just dont happen to like it becomes a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

theboy1 wrote: »
    Yes but I think its also important to the note the difference of discrimination. We must move forward from the well versed index and instead embrace the ideal locus don't you agree?

Its not a matter of homosexuality, that's for sure.

I believe the couple who present this as a case of discrimination failed to understand WHY it was objectionable and ultimately unacceptable to the printing works owner. Like it or not, the owner has every right to decline to do something which appears to greatly offend his
    own faith. The couples failure to accept that fact and move on to dealing with someone for whom the specific printing job was perfectly acceptable. Expecting a man of faith to put aside the guiding principles his faith sets out before him just so you can proceed with something he is entitled to object to (and he IS entitled to do so) fails to take into account that persons right.

I'm not religious, not the slightest bit, but that man has every ounce of my respect for his convictions in his own beliefs, his steadfast pursuit of his faith and so on, while the couple have none, as they have sought to promote their own agenda and aims in a way that would punish the printer. Shame on them.

theboy1 wrote: »
    I think its a dangerous games regarding the sides of discrimination.I think if we are to contextualise the above we must apply a critical level of hypersensitivity in order to accurately address the problem at hand.Would you agree with that summation?

Yes it is Dangerous, But if the community in this case discriminates against none gay/lesbian they can't really come calling foul. Equal application of the law or move along. I would be interested in calling a place like that and seeing if they outright say it's Gay/Lesbian only or make up some nonsense as it's not family friendly or may not be my cup of tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

The irish gay nudity social group, 2008, located in smithfield, dublin 7.
    are you genuine, sincere and gay? are you aged between 27 and 39, without many gay male friends? the join my social gay-only, nude social group in my house in smithfield.
    the social group offers gay nude afternoon tea and free meals once a week cooked by me. also gay dancing provided once a week only.

http://www.queerid.com/topic.aspx?topicid=13280

What am I missing out on? :D

• Advertisement

bjork wrote: »
    are you genuine, sincere and gay? are you aged between 27 and 39, without many gay male friends? the join my social gay-only, nude social group in my house in smithfield.
    the social group offers gay nude afternoon tea and free meals once a week cooked by me. also gay dancing provided once a week only.

Sounds fun, I would especially like to find out what is meant by Gay dancing.

You spend a lot of time looking for gay only places. If you are looking for a recommendation I dont think AH is the right place.

Try the travel or the LGBT forum. Other websites might be more suited if you want one of those nude places though.

You spend a lot of time looking for gay only places. If you are looking for a recommendation I dont think AH is the right place.

Try the travel or the LGBT forum. Other websites might be more suited if you want one of those nude places though.

Nah think he/she is trying to make a point, Where are all the threads about these places and why the media are not on it and all that. Why they have not have their FB pages and all that trashed with comments.

I'm just trying to book a summer holiday for my straight family. It's hard to find somewhere that will accept me and my kind

Do you know what gay dancing is?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I believe the couple who present this as a case of discrimination failed to understand WHY it was objectionable and ultimately unacceptable to the printing works owner. Like it or not, the owner has every right to decline to do something which appears to greatly offend his
    own faith.
    The couples failure to accept that fact and move on to dealing with someone for whom the specific printing job was perfectly acceptable. Expecting a man of faith to put aside the guiding principles his faith sets out before him just so you can proceed with something he is entitled to object to (and he IS entitled to do so) fails to take into account that persons right.

I'm not religious, not the slightest bit, but that man has every ounce of my respect for his convictions in his own beliefs, his steadfast pursuit of his faith and so on, while the couple have none, as they have sought to promote their own agenda and aims in a way that would punish the printer. Shame on them.

Oh no he doesn't. The law clearly states that a business cannot discriminate against a customer in the provision of goods and services.

Btw I just love the way in which you in turn the table on the person who was discriminated against. Shame on you ..,

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Kalman

Go on tell us, what does your moral compass say about being gay?

You mean homosexual?

Nah think he/she is trying to make a point, Where are all the threads about these places and why the media are not on it and all that. Why they have not have their FB pages and all that trashed with comments.

Ah right, maybe try bringing it to someones attention? I know journalism has gone downhill but I doubt they trawl boards looking for stories.
    I'm just trying to book a summer holiday for my straight family. It's hard to find somewhere that will accept me and my kind

Where have you tried booking?

Im not sure but its probably fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Kalman wrote: »
    You mean homosexual?

Is this the level of debate we can expect from you.

How can be so sure your family is straight?

Emerson House
    Gay-only guesthouse, (in a city), County Cork, IRELAND, Ireland
    http://www.gaywelcome.com/gay-only-guesthouse-cork-ireland-h2474.html :(
    I haven't tried booking because they're fairly clear about what clientele they want. I liked this one ^^

Welcome to Bellatrix, a women-only B&B in the village of Castletownbere in West Cork.

We welcome women from all over the world - come stay with us amid stunning natural beauty and meet other women,

We welcome women from all walks of life - young or old, active or happily retired.
    We welcome mothers with their children and boys up to the age of 12.

Clientele Welcomed: Lesbian, Straight
    http://www.purpleroofs.com/bellatrix-ire.html

and then this one ^^
    Ah right, maybe try bringing it to someones attention? I know journalism has gone downhill but I doubt they trawl boards looking for stories.

Where have you tried booking?

Im not sure but its probably fabulous.

I'll have to look for my closest sauna to relax in. Unwind with the stress of it all.

I haven't tried booking because they're fairly clear about what clientele they want. I liked this one ^^

and then this one ^^

I'll have to look for my closest sauna to relax in. Unwind with the stress of it all.

So they havent turned you down? Try booking with them and if they wont then go to the daily mail or someone to talk about how you're being discriminated against.

Is this the level of debate we can expect from you.

I don't agree with the usage of the word gay. We are referring to homosexuals.

How can be so sure your family is straight?
    I got them to date a person of their own gender and monitored their reactions on a machine I built

So they havent turned you down? Try booking with them and if they wont then go to the daily mail or someone to talk about how you're being discriminated against.

Himself refuses to do the sad face picture in the Indo with me :(

I got them to date a person of their own gender and monitored their reactions on a machine I built

Himself refuses to do the sad face picture in the Indo with me :(

Well you'll never get anywhere if you dont put the effort in

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I believe the gay couple just went to this printing company for the headlines, but I don't know why anyone deserves respect for "convictions in his own believes". This is nothing but pure discrimination based on sexuality.

It's funny the amount of things the bible is against but because most of it doesn't fit in with modern life, it's ok to ignore them. But not the gay bit. Ignore the bit about giving your money to the poor, but not the bit about man shouldnt lie with another man.
    For instance: He who blasphemes the name of the LORD shall be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him; the sojourner as well as the native, when he blasphemes the Name, shall be put to death. (Lev. 24:16)

I mean, who the hell is some guy working in a print shop in Drogheda to pick and choose which of Bibles rules are right and wrong? If you're going respect someone for their sticking to their guns regards their religious beliefs, at least do it with someone who actually does. If you do, your life is pretty much devoted to god and you can do fúck all.

Here's another one:
    “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. Except the gays, fúck them.’
    Can you spot the bit I added in to Jesus's greatest commandment?

• Advertisement

I don't agree with the usage of the word gay. We are referring to homosexuals.

Why?

Cienciano wrote: »
    I believe the gay couple just went to this printing company for the headlines, but I don't know why anyone deserves respect for "convictions in his own believes". This is nothing but pure discrimination based on sexuality.

It's funny the amount of things the bible is against but because most of it doesn't fit in with modern life, it's ok to ignore them. But not the gay bit. Ignore the bit about giving your money to the poor, but not the bit about man shouldnt lie with another man.
    For instance: He who blasphemes the name of the LORD shall be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him; the sojourner as well as the native, when he blasphemes the Name, shall be put to death. (Lev. 24:16)

I mean, who the hell is some guy working in a print shop in Drogheda to pick and choose which of Bibles rules are right and wrong? If you're going respect someone for their sticking to their guns regards their religious beliefs, at least do it with someone who actually does. If you do, your life is pretty much devoted to god and you can do fúck all.

Here's another one:
    Can you spot the bit I added in to Jesus's greatest commandment?

Isn't it good this is in the headlines!

It may force other business owners to reconsider their own prejudices.

Isn't it good this is in the headlines!

It may force other business owners to reconsider their own prejudices.

Well I doubt it, I don't really care what peoples brand of Sky wizards book tells them. But freedom of religion and all that. Not my place to interfere, I generally walk away pretty fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

gozunda wrote: »
    Oh no he doesn't. The law clearly states that a business cannot discriminate against a customer in the provision of goods and services.

Btw I just love the way in which you in turn the table on the person who was discriminated against. Shame on you ..,

You see, you're also missing the point. He's not discriminating on the basis of sexuality, race, creed etc.

He's refusing to print an invitation to an event. That's all he's doing. If a straight couple walked in and asked him to print invitations to a nude bodypainting event for singles and he felt it was contrary to his religious beliefs and to do so would compronise his own moralality, he'd be entitled to decline to provide the invites. Right?

So, what's the difference here then?

You see, you're also missing the point. He's not discriminating on the basis of sexuality, race, creed etc.

He's refusing to print an invitation to an event. That's all he's doing. If a straight couple walked in and asked him to print invitations to a nude bodypainting event for singles and he felt it was contrary to his religious beliefs, he'd be entitled to decline to provide the invites. Right?

Correct group being discriminated against. Nude party invites would not have the same shock headline.

Why?

Because in my time the word "gay" used to refer to feelings of being "carefree", happy.

It has now been corrupted to suit others.

He's refusing to print an invitation to an event. That's all he's doing. If a straight couple walked in and asked him to print invitations to a nude bodypainting event for singles and he felt it was contrary to his religious beliefs and to do so would compronise his own moralality, he'd be entitled to decline to provide the invites. Right?

Nobody was looking for invitations to a pedophile orgy or KKK cook up.

Someone wanted wedding invitations. Do they provide a service where they print wedding invitations?

Nobody was looking for invitations to a pedophile orgy or KKK cook up.

Someone wanted wedding invitations. Do they provide a service where they print wedding invitations?

Not for SSM it appears due to Religious Reason's. Think it's mentioned in the thread somewhere.

Because in my time the word "gay" used to refer to feelings of being "carefree", happy.

It has now been corrupted to suit others.

Righteo so.

• Advertisement

Not for SSM it appears due to Religious Reason's. Think it's mentioned in the thread somewhere.

I didnt realise it wasnt a yes or no question.

Do they provide a service where they will print wedding invitations? Plain old invitations, nothing involving pictures of dead children or penis pop ups.

For example, if me and my girlfriend went in would they provide me invitations for Mr and Mrs Shruikans wedding?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement