Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Company Discriminates Against Gays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

bjork wrote: »
    ....and then go to cork on my holidays but I´m discriminated against because of sexual orientation left right and center :(

Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Cork?
    This sauna thing deserves a thread of it's own. I really want to know what happened to Bjork in Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Cork?

Yes :( Just to cork
    http://www.gaywelcome.com/gay-only-guesthouse-cork-ireland-h2474.html

I hear Castletownbere is lovely
    http://www.purpleroofs.com/bellatrix-ire.html :(

obligatory sad faces :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

eviltwin wrote: »
    I'd like you to expand on what those ways are. The only difference is in who you want to bump uglies with.

I didn't use the word "difference" in my post. I said that being gay can influence a person's behaviour, and the existence of a community for people who are gay is evidence of this fact.

Clearly who they bump uglies with isn't the only way in which a person's behaviour is influenced (and that's not taking account of the fact that just because a person is gay means they're only going to bump uglies with people of the same sex either).

Akrasia wrote: »
    This sauna thing deserves a thread of it's own. I really want to know what happened to Bjork in Cork

Nothing yet..I haven´t got there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

You should start a thread.

You should start a thread.

Will you donate?

Sorry, I thought you said fund!

If you want to go ahead and start the "Get Bjork to Cork" Campaign work ahead, I´ll think about the thread

B_Wayne wrote: »
    You're condoning discrimination that contributes to depression and suicidal ideation in LGBT community. Fighting for the right to exercise the discrimination is not going to help the situation, believe whatever you want behind closed doors. But don't reject custom because of bigoted views.

Should I instead condone discrimination that contributes to depression and suicidal ideation in the religious community?

I'd rather people weren't prejudiced against another person for any reason tbh, as any form of prejudice and discrimination contributes to depression and suicidal ideation in society.

Believe whatever you want at any time, but don't express bigoted views towards anyone, for any reason. How does that sound?

It'd be a much fairer and more equal society if people considered that other people are entitled to the same dignity and respect that they would like for themselves, and treated other people with that same dignity and respect that they feel they are entitled to. It may not always work out the way we want, but does that mean we should stop trying, and instead allow our own prejudices to influence how we treat other people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

I was thinking, why did the gay bloke have to go to the news stations with this? Why not simply say "Ok, I'll go somewhere else with this then" and avoid the hassle for everyone involved. Why did he have to drag the company's name through the mud and assemble the moral brigade to attack the business?

Reading the facebook page of the printers is a trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Cuban Pete

Are you saying the market shouldn't dictate whether this business succeeds or fails?

• Advertisement

Cuban Pete wrote: »
    Are you saying the market shouldn't dictate whether this business succeeds or fails?
    Not talking the market, I'm talking about an individual

You know what I mean. And my point still stands. Why shouldn't this be brought to the attention of the public so they can decide if they want to do business there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I didn't use the word "difference" in my post. I said that being gay can influence a person's behaviour, and the existence of a community for people who are gay is evidence of this fact.

In what ways?

Why shouldn't this be brought to the attention of the public so they can decide if they want to do business there?
    Because most of the outrage stems from the fact that it is "illegal" according to anti-discrimination laws. If those laws didn't exist I doubt it would have gotten so much attention. This would have been a dispute between a customer + a business and nothing else

Also, because people want to feel good about themselves so by spamming the big mean Christian printing company with tweets + facebook comments about how evil they are they'll have done their good deed of the day (lol).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

You know what I mean. And my point still stands. Why shouldn't this be brought to the attention of the public so they can decide if they want to do business there?
    This. Forget all the nonsense about discrimination laws. This is how the situation should be resolved. I haven't looked at the social media pages but I'd imagine the business is getting a good amount of criticism. Good! And until they change their policy and recognise that this is 2015, let their business suffer.

In what ways?

Asked and answered -

How does being gay influence your behaviour?
    In an infinite number of ways. Surely that would be obvious given that we're discussing the right for people who are gay to marry another person of the same sex rather than force them to accept that they can only marry a person of the opposite sex?
    I'd like you to expand on what those ways are. The only difference is in who you want to bump uglies with.

Clearly who they bump uglies with isn't the only way in which a person's behaviour is influenced (and that's not taking account of the fact that just because a person is gay means they're only going to bump uglies with people of the same sex either).

Because most of the outrage stems from the fact that it is "illegal" according to anti-discrimination laws. If those laws didn't exist I doubt it would have gotten so much attention. This would have been a dispute between a customer + a business and nothing else.

Also, because people want to feel good about themselves so by spamming the big mean Christian printing company with tweets + facebook comments about how evil they are they'll have done their good deed of the day (lol).
    Thankfully we live in an age of social media and more and more liberal religious belief, where people are entitled to hold any belief they like, just as others are able to challenge and criticise those beliefs. This could be a real success story as long as it stays away from the courts imo.

K4t wrote: »
    Thankfully we live in an age of social media and more and more liberal religious belief, where people are entitled to hold any belief they like, just as others are able to challenge and criticise those beliefs. This could be a real success story as long as it stays away from the courts imo.
    No they aren't. We have laws against free speech already, e.g blasphemy law, anti-discrimination laws etc.

Because most of the outrage stems from the fact that it is "illegal" according to anti-discrimination laws. If those laws didn't exist I doubt it would have gotten so much attention. This would have been a dispute between a customer + a business and nothing else

Or, maybe, they'd still bring it into the public eye because it's an awful thing to be discriminated against. People were speaking out long before these laws were in place because by their own morals they determined that others shouldn't be discriminated against.

The guy who removed the cape toppers from the display did not break the law. Yet due to a campaign him and some of his staff had to leave their jobs because of abuse directed at them.

has anyone been charged under the Prohibition of Incitement To Hatred Act, 1989?

• Advertisement

No they aren't. We have laws against free speech already, e.g blasphemy law, anti-discrimination laws etc.
    The blasphemy law is ridiculous and has no place in a modern society. Anti discrimination laws do not apply in public life and should not apply in the situation with the printer imo, even though I disagree with his beliefs. He didn't discriminate against the gay guy because he is gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

The guy who removed the cape toppers from the display did not break the law. Yet due to a campaign him and some of his staff had to leave their jobs because of abuse directed at them.

has anyone been charged under the Prohibition of Incitement To Hatred Act, 1989?

Nope social media has a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

So according to your interpretation of how the 'customer' should behave when faced with active discrimination

* they should walk away and find another printer somewhere
    * they should not say anything to anybody or make any comment on their treatment
    * they should not take any legal action despite the fact that such discrimination is illegal

Seriously ?

Why are you placing the entire onus for the customer targeted for being gay and refused service by printers?

What exactly does this achieve? Except to allow the perpetrators get away actively discriminating against customers and enabled to do it again to others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

gozunda wrote: »
    So according to your interpretation of how the 'customer' should behave when faced with active discrimination

* they should walk away and find another printer somewhere
    * they should not say anything to anybody or make any comment on their treatment
    * they should not take any legal action despite the fact that such discrimination is illegal

Seriously ?

Why are you placing the entire onus for the customer targeted for being gay and refused service by printers?

What exactly does this achieve? Except to allow the perpetrators get away actively discriminating against customers and enabled to do it again to others

Eh ? Thought the customer target the printer for his business not the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

Should I instead condone discrimination that contributes to depression and suicidal ideation in the religious community?

I'd rather people weren't prejudiced against another person for any reason tbh, as any form of prejudice and discrimination contributes to depression and suicidal ideation in society.

Believe whatever you want at any time, but don't express bigoted views towards anyone, for any reason. How does that sound?

It'd be a much fairer and more equal society if people considered that other people are entitled to the same dignity and respect that they would like for themselves, and treated other people with that same dignity and respect that they feel they are entitled to. It may not always work out the way we want, but does that mean we should stop trying, and instead allow our own prejudices to influence how we treat other people?

Can you prove the bolded statement is anywhere near being a serious issue? Being required to operate a business within the law,not refusing customers for skin colour, sexual orientation and even religion etc seems pretty fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Nope social media has a lot to answer for.

Good article about trial by social media here if you're interested:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/magazine/how-one-stupid-tweet-ruined-justine-saccos-life.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Its normally a pretty safe assumption to make that those opposed to gay marriage are religious, because there aren't really any obvious non religious reasons why anyone would oppose it.

I'm not gonna guess what your reasons are, do you mind telling me?

That'll be that paranoia I referred to in a previous post ......... you know, a lot of people make assumptions about the Gay Community, it's called stereotyping.

Its normally a pretty safe assumption to make that those opposed to gay marriage are religious, because there aren't really any obvious non religious reasons why anyone would oppose it.

I'm not gonna guess what your reasons are, do you mind telling me?

It might be biology...........

.......but that´s none of my business

gozunda wrote: »
    Whats wrong with that? A business should be allowed to discriminate if they wish.

I'm not saying I'd support any business that would (in fact, I think the company in this case handled this terribly) but a business is like a home - an owner should be allowed to refuse admission or service on private property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Eh ? Thought the customer target the printer for his business not the other way around.

So when you go to Tesco for your shopping you 'target' them do you?

Personally I go to a shop / business to buy or order something

Doesn't mean I should crawl away with my tail between my legs if I get poor service / faulty goods or heaven forbid discriminated against :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement