Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Company Discriminates Against Gays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

galljga1 wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by entropi viewpost.gif
    Surely there are other printing companies nearby who will fulfil this request? I have a feeling the owner of the business involved might msee a drop in business due to this news spreading around.

Boylans in Drogheda is one. They print Gay Community News mag. They were undercut by and lost the contract to a northern publisher once, run by a staunch protestant who when he discovered what he was being asked to print refused to do so. Hence, Boylans print it since then.

This printer in Cork have offered to do the invites - for free. Smart move

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cork-printer-offers-to-help-gay-couple-after-wedding-invite-snub-665001.html

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Don't want to derail this thread,but I'd like to put a question out there...

If someone feels repulsed by the notion of male on male sex,would that make the said person a homophobe?

I don't want to offend and I'm not acting the boll*x,just would genuinely like to know what people think?

If you feel repulsed by the mental image of your own parents having sex, does that make you a 'heterophobe'

I propose a solution to your homophobia. Stop imagining other people having sex (unless you want to)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

This topic has been done to death.
    The gay lobby v The hidden homophobes.

In a nutshell.

And your point? I don't think the 'gay lobby' should give up until the hidden homophobes treat them like actual human beings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

gozunda wrote: »
    This printer in Cork have offered to do the invites - for free. Smart move

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cork-printer-offers-to-help-gay-couple-after-wedding-invite-snub-665001.html

I reported yesterday they were being given loads of free stuff. I guess the Issue of being refused is the problem. So they will just go get their stuff printed elsewhere and not take all the free stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Is it any coincidence that they guy campaigning in NYC for the Parade is from Drogheda? Small World

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

gozunda wrote: »
    Really? OMG I never knew that ! :rolleyes:

Well you didn't seem aware of it when you maintained that one of the basic principles of Christianity was not among your understanding of Christianity? I would have thought it was common knowledge, but feel free to ignore that part if you wish.

I ignored it because it's irrelevant. How the fx would the general public be aware of the TV? You do have a habit of asking questions that have nothing to do with what was discussed previously. It's fairly transparent though ;).

I've already pointed out that a member of the general public, another poster, mentioned that you couldn't miss the tv on display. We'll ignore the fact that the salon owner couldn't have missed it either if that suits your narrative.

But anyway not all 'religious' people are bigots and would necessarily refuse such a simple order.

How kind of you to notice that ;) After seeing how he operates though, I would certainly avoid doing any business with the salon owner in question, nothing to do with my religious beliefs, but simply because he's proven himself to be the sort of person I would want no dealings with.

Regarding christian fundamentalism - here is a quote from the owner of the printing business

That's fairly fundamental in my book oh and refusing to print an invite as well ...

No flying planes into buildings, beheadings or stonings there. Refusing to print an invite? Fcuk me, the fundamentalist bastards deserve everything they have coming to them, right?

I wonder will the same wasters social justice warriors be mobilised when it really matters, on the day of the marriage equality referendum. They'll probably be too busy at the next rent-a-mob event.

There you go again turning the facts backwards again. Maybe the printer guy should thought through refusing an order in the way that he did. You appear to be getting quite emotional about the whole thing. They are grown men and there are places where such disputes can be adjudicated on. I would suggest let them play it out and see what happens. If you don't wish to promote the whole social media thing,I would suggest not engaging in this discussion any further on a public forum otherwise you're only continuing the whole thing and making yourself feel guilty. Probably the best way to save your own conscience and all that.

Maybe you should suggest that to the salon owner, that instead of airing his shìtty laundry in public, he should have conducted himself in a dignified manner and behaved like both a professional business person and a decent human being. Too much to ask of some people though I guess, and yet they expect other people should treat them in a professional manner like a decent human being? Do unto others and all that...

I'm sure you're familiar with that expression.

Confessional box tactics - I see ...

Not sure what you mean? Air my shìtty laundry in public?

Nobody wants to witness that sort of thing, rather undignified way to be carrying on wouldn't you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Is it true panti bar have a gay only policy?
    Thought I read somewhere he wasn't overly welcome to some straight people wanting to enter.

No. Sure the Taoiseach was welcomed in there ffs.

1 That would be illegal
    2 I've been in there with straight people
    3 Where is this - "I read somewhere" or are you must making stuff up

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

If someone feels repulsed by the notion of male on male sex,would that make the said person a homophobe?

I don't want to offend and I'm not acting the boll*x,just would genuinely like to know what people think?

Not at all. The thought of many many very ugly straight couples I see about he place having sex makes me want to vomit, but it doesn't make me a heterophobe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

DanWall wrote: »
    Why? don't assume everyone supports gays
    Well you didn't seem aware of it when you maintained that one of the basic principles of Christianity was not among your understanding of Christianity? I would have thought it was common knowledge, but feel free to ignore that part if you wish.

I've already pointed out that a member of the general public, another poster, mentioned that you couldn't miss the tv on display. We'll ignore the fact that the salon owner couldn't have missed it either if that suits your narrative.

How kind of you to notice that ;) After seeing how he operates though, I would certainly avoid doing any business with the salon owner in question, nothing to do with my religious beliefs, but simply because he's proven himself to be the sort of person I would want no dealings with.

No flying planes into buildings, beheadings or stonings there. Refusing to print an invite? Fcuk me, the fundamentalist bastards deserve everything they have coming to them, right?

I wonder will the same wasters social justice warriors be mobilised when it really matters, on the day of the marriage equality referendum. They'll probably be too busy at the next rent-a-mob event.

Maybe you should suggest that to the salon owner, that instead of airing his shìtty laundry in public, he should have conducted himself in a dignified manner and behaved like both a professional business person and a decent human being. Too much to ask of some people though I guess, and yet they expect other people should treat them in a professional manner like a decent human being? Do unto others and all that...

I'm sure you're familiar with that expression.

Not sure what you mean? Air my shìtty laundry in public?

Nobody wants to witness that sort of thing, rather undignified way to be carrying on wouldn't you agree?

You two need to get a room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

bb1234567 wrote: »
    And your point? I don't think the 'gay lobby' should give up until the hidden homophobes treat them like actual human beings.

But they are hidden. I'm not a homophobe but....

• Advertisement

DeadHand wrote: »

He wasn't refused on the grounds of being gay, he was refused on the grounds that the material would support indirectly a political cause

They were civil partnership invitations. Calling some invitations a "political cause" is just absolute nonsense. Utter utter nonsense.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Pedro Gonzalez

No. Sure the Taoiseach was welcomed in there ffs.

1 That would be illegal
    2 I've been in there with straight people
    3 Where is this - "I read somewhere" or are you must making stuff up
    No,not at all.
    Just remember reading it somewhere and can't recall.
    Obviously bullish•t

galljga1 wrote: »
    You two need to get a room.

Would you like to join us?

bjork you'd better book that sauna!

ROAD TRIP EVERYONE!! :D

I bags the back seat on the bus, who's with me? :)

Eh Being Gay automatically makes one right ?

And you got that piece of 'logic' from where exactly?

Akrasia wrote: »
    If you feel repulsed by the mental image of your own parents having sex, does that make you a 'heterophobe'

I propose a solution to your homophobia. Stop imagining other people having sex (unless you want to)
    So I'm a homophobe by asking an honest question?
    Just a tad hysterical,if you don't mind me saying so.

Would you like to join us?

bjork you'd better book that sauna!

ROAD TRIP EVERYONE!! :D

I bags the back seat on the bus, who's with me? :)

I have to wait outside because heterosexuals females are not welcome :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

This topic has been done to death.
    The gay lobby v The hidden homophobes.

In a nutshell.

Simplified ......... and wrong :rolleyes:

So I'm a homophobe by asking an honest question?
    Just a tad hysterical,if you don't mind me saying so.

I warned you.............:)

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Not at all. The thought of many many very ugly straight couples I see about he place having sex makes me want to vomit, but it doesn't make me a heterophobe.
    A bit bitchy,but thanks for your contribution.

bjork wrote: »
    I warned you.............:)

"Smithers...Release the hounds" :)

• Advertisement

Such as?...If the Printers were funded by the Public purse, they would be obliged but I can't see how a private business is compelled to accept a request.

If they are supplying goods and services they would be.

They can't legally refuse to supply goods or services to a person because of their

Civil status: includes single, married, separated, divorced, widowed people, civil partners and former civil partners
    Family status: this refers to the parent of a person under 18 years or the resident primary carer or parent of a person with a disability
    Sexual orientation: includes gay, lesbian, bisexual and heterosexual
    Religion: means religious belief, background, outlook or none
    Disability: includes people with physical, intellectual, learning, cognitive or emotional disabilities and a range of medical conditions
    Race: includes race, skin colour, nationality or ethnic origin
    Membership of the Traveller community.

Terry Pratchet

They were civil partnership invitations. Calling some invitations a "political cause" is just absolute nonsense. Utter utter nonsense.

The salon owner has turned (or at least attempted to turn) this business dispute into a "political cause" with more than a little help from the extremists in the Gay Lobby.

I have to wait outside because heterosexuals females are not welcome :(

Sure we'll bring the St. Briget statue with us and you can say she's with you, they'll never notice :pac:

She's one of those moving statutes, right? Bloody hope she is, I can't be carrying her, gammy hip, I walk like John Wayne on a good day! :p

If they are supplying goods and services they would be.

They can't legally refuse to supply goods or services to a person because of their

Civil status: includes single, married, separated, divorced, widowed people, civil partners and former civil partners
    Family status: this refers to the parent of a person under 18 years or the resident primary carer or parent of a person with a disability
    Sexual orientation: includes gay, lesbian, bisexual and heterosexual
    Religion: means religious belief, background, outlook or none
    Disability: includes people with physical, intellectual, learning, cognitive or emotional disabilities and a range of medical conditions
    Race: includes race, skin colour, nationality or ethnic origin
    Membership of the Traveller community.

The printers are in the clear so ........ they refused to print the material because of the material's content ........ didn't see that on your list :confused:

MadDog76 wrote: »
    The salon owner has turned (or at least attempted to turn) this business dispute into a "political cause" with more than a little help from the extremists in the Gay Lobby.

Were your wedding invites a political cause when they were printed?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

"They can't legally refuse to supply goods or services to a person because of their

The gay sauna, The Boilerhouse, in Dublin, does not allow women to enter.

Not even gay women.

Are not they themselves discriminating on the basis of gender?

(They don't allow transexuals either)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Repulsed?

According to AH if you don't stand by the side of your bed, cheering on 2 gay people have sex in it> You're a homophobe

Mod

Both of you, quit trolling.

Sure we'll bring the St. Briget statue with us and you can say she's with you, they'll never notice :pac:

She's one of those moving statutes, right? Bloody hope she is, I can't be carrying her, gammy hip, I walk like John Wayne on a good day! :p

Do you think she'll pass?
    http://i.imgur.com/1ajOK4I.png

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Simplified ......... and wrong :rolleyes:

Wouldn't be so sure about that.
    Yeah it's simplified,but it's the meat and bones of it.

• Advertisement

I'm glad you are not writing on paper - there would be none feking left :rolleyes: can you reduce the diatribes please?

I have ALREADY explained that homophobia is a not a "basic principle" of Christianity imo. I have read the bible myself believe it or not and its not there. Sorry!

As I said not all christians would refuse such an order. Therefore the fracking TV is irelevant get it? Tv + christian does not equal friggin fundamentalist ok?

In sure he feels the same about the owner / manager of the printers

Ah you're getting your fundamentalist mixed up. But yeah refusing something as simple as an order for a piece of printed paper because of religous belief is fairly fundamental. Btw christians actually first adopted the word 'fundamentalism' for themselves before it was applied to other religions - bet you didn't know that!
    i wonder will the same wasters social justice warriors be mobilised when it really matters, on the day of the marriage equality referendum. They'll probably be too busy at the next rent-a-mob event.

As I said give your conscience a break and don't encourage those social media justice warriors. Put down the laptop and stop the prosecution complex.

Your words - your message - don't expect anyone else to do your dirty work.
    I don't know if the salon owner is a Christian - maybe while your there you could ask him?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement