Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Company Discriminates Against Gays

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

You clearly don't have a clue what you are talking about.

That's your reply? Well done on "proving" me wrong again!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

20Cent wrote: »
    Its all just a big misunderstanding. God was just saying its alright for a guy to lie to women but not to other men. Call the Vatican its sorted.

Guys 'lie to' women all the time or so I'm told...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Hey, if anyone want to join, I just set up a Heterosexual club >>We can go do heterosexual stuff: relax in Sauna's and stuff.

All Welcome > * Except gay people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

bjork wrote: »
    Hey, if anyone want to join, I just set up a Heterosexual club >>We can go do heterosexual stuff: relax in Sauna's and stuff.

All Welcome > * Except gay people

A friend of mine wanted to set up a white women against racism club: for similar reasons to yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Ok I am going to have to ask this As a person who will be voting yes in the referendum, Does anyone not find it a little odd that apparently two businesses. Businesses that are very Religious, Dunno where you fined these to be fair people must have looked for a very long time. Refused to print or make gay related material that was against their religious views, My inner suspicion is that the people going to these shops knew exactly what would happen. My inner suspicion is these are related to the referendum. As two instances have happened in the last couple of months. And other stuff has been appearing online about, no gays allowed rental property and all that.

Any opinions ? or am I seeing a pattern that's not here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Ok I am going to have to ask this As a person who will be voting yes in the referendum, Does anyone not find it a little odd that apparently two businesses. Businesses that are very Religious, Dunno where you fined these to be fair people must have looked for a very long time. Refused to print or make gay related material that was against their religious views, My inner suspicion is that the people going to these shops knew exactly what would happen. My inner suspicion is these are related to the referendum. As two instances have happened in the last couple of months. And other stuff has been appearing online about, no gays allowed rental property and all that.

Any opinions ? or am I seeing a pattern that's not here.

There are agendas everywhere but in this particular case the salon owner had been dealing with this particular printer for four years before he requested the invitations for the impending ceremony.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

MadDog76 wrote: »
    That's your reply? Well done on "proving" me wrong again!! :D

It's obvious you don't know what you are talking about. You just demonstrated you didn't even know what the 9 grounds are.
    You are stating your opinions and assumptions about the law as fact.

You really need to educate yourself as what you are posting is untrue. Maybe as a first step you could go read the legislation.

http://www.lawreform.ie/_fileupload/RevisedActs/WithAnnotations/EN_ACT_2000_0008.PDF

http://www.equalitytribunal.ie/en/Cases/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

It's obvious you don't know what you are talking about. You just demonstrated you didn't even know what the 9 grounds are.

You really need to educate yourself as what you are posting is untrue. Maybe as a first step you could go read the legislation.

http://www.lawreform.ie/_fileupload/RevisedActs/WithAnnotations/EN_ACT_2000_0008.PDF

We don't have to that's why the law deals with this and not internet opinion. When this goes legal and is found to be Discrimination then people will agree. Saying discrimination before a ruling is premature at the very minimum. But I suppose if people want to push a particular agenda they will see what is not there.

You are the one who posted the 9 grounds ........... I read them .......... there was nothing regarding discrimination to materials .......... is there a 10th ground that you omitted in error??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

They've nobody on that forum to give them any perspective unbiased views .........

You spend a lot of time there?

• Advertisement

You spend a lot of time there?

Just used common sense and logic ......... this discussion over there warranted 2 pages, on this forum it has so far warranted 70+ pages ......... now why do you think that is? :rolleyes:

Just used common sense and logic ......... this discussion over there warranted 2 pages, on this forum it has so far warranted 70+ pages ......... now why do you think that is? :rolleyes:

it may just have to do with traffic.

it may just have to do with traffic.

Yeh that must be it alright ........ :rolleyes:

If I were to post my opinion on that forum then JoeyTheMod (freedom of speech = "your free to agree with us") wouldn't be long in censoring me ......... the question is would he be discriminating against me because of my sexuality or because of my opinion ......... rhetorical question by the way Ripper.

If I were to post my opinion on that forum then JoeyTheMod (freedom of speech = "your free to agree with us") wouldn't be long in censoring me ......... the question is would he be discriminating against me because of my sexuality or because of my opinion ......... rhetorical question by the way Ripper.

Every forum has a charter, and some of them are very restrictive. You would be being censored due to you opinion, not sexuality. I have been landed on in there for my posts, and I am not straight.

Every forum has a charter, and some of them are very restrictive. You would be being censoring you due to you opinion, not sexuality. I have been landed on in there for my posts, and I am not straight.

So what's acceptable to some Forum's might not be acceptable in another Forum .......... would that be seen as discrimination or would most here just respect the feelings of those Moderating those Forum's and move onto another Forum more accepting of their views?
    After all those Forum's wouldn't be discriminating against me personally, they just wouldn't share my opinion as is their right which I would respect .......

So what's acceptable to some Forum's might not be acceptable in another Forum .......... would that be seen as discrimination or would most here just respect the feelings of those Moderating those Forum's and move onto another Forum more accepting of their views?

I don't understand what I am being asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,611 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Do you think that the customer at the printers is a covert gay agenda operative who spent the previous four years giving him business just infiltrate his religious lair?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭random1337

KGB defector explains what liberalism really is

0:55

All these human progress movements have dark/manipulating political agendas behind them.

"Equality" is the forerunner to communism. Liberals are "useful idiots".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

osarusan wrote: »
    Do you think that the customer at the printers is a covert gay agenda operative who spent the previous four years giving him business just infiltrate his religious lair?

Dont give them ideas.

Don't worry about it, I wasn't really asking you anything ........ I'm just clarifying that some Forum's are more accepting of other people's opinion's and points of views than other's and we are all asked on Boards to respect these individual Forum's and their Mods ......... we can't scream "discrimination" on a Forum if that Forum doesn't agree with us, we just respectfully go to another Forum that suits our needs. :)

• Advertisement

"Clarifying" wasn't the word you were looking for there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

What annoys me most about this story is if the same sex couple refused to print something very Catholic because of the catholic views on homosexuality this story would not exist.

If the company refused to print something for Muslims we wouldn't nearly have this outrage.

Is it not discriminatory against these peoples (printers) beliefs to feel they MUST take his business.

The only reason this story is getting so much press is because the same sex marriage is very en-vogue with the referendum coming up so everyone in the PC brigade are jumping on this like flies on ****e.

This man has given them work 4 the last 4 years which they have done. This is very much a choice based on their religious beliefs and not on the basis of a personal vendetta or hatred for homosexual people. If I was in the printer's shoes I'd have done the best job I could in the hopes that I got more same sex couples looking to use my business and make as much money as possible out of that side of the marriage industry but I'm not religious in the slightest and you'd have people then claiming I'm taking advantage of same sex couples. Everyone needs to calm down take a breadth and look after themselves.

"Clarifying" wasn't the word you were looking for there.

My apologies, I used you to make a point which wasn't fair without your consent ..........

My apologies, I used you to make a point which wasn't fair without your consent ..........

If you had succeeded in making your point we wouldn't be having this sidebar.

The point wasn't directed at you so it's understandable how you missed it completely .......... it was all about analogies.

ps The word "analogies" isn't a homosexual euphemism by the way Ripper, in case you get confused again ........

After all those Forum's wouldn't be discriminating against me personally, they just wouldn't share my opinion as is their right which I would respect .......

MadDog it's really not that difficult. All forums have charter that vary in what you can or cannot post depending on the subject matter of that forum. The mod only upholds the existing charter.

If you post something you shouldn't in a forum that has a charter prohibits that 'something' - then your going to get at least told off, given an infraction or a Ban. Nothing to do with your ''opinion' or discrimination or 'feelings of a mod - it's a mod upholding the terms of an existing charter. Simple as. I know your trying to bring an analogy with the present case but it doesn't work. The charter would be similar to the law prohibiting something - in this case discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

He has religious beliefs, that's not a crime, his religious beliefs conflict with the request therefore he couldn't fill said request, you talk about this 'discrimination' while actively discriminating his religious beliefs, non story and another chance for the pc brigade to have a field day, ridiculous.

Depp wrote: »
    He has religious beliefs, that's not a crime, his religious beliefs conflict with the request therefore he couldn't fill said request, you talk about this 'discrimination' while actively discriminating his religious beliefs, non story and another chance for the pc brigade to have a field day, ridiculous.

Here we go again! Because a business can't have 'religous beliefs' : rolleyes: I know what you are trying to say but businessss are legally obliged not to discriminate against customers in the provision of goods and services (see Equal Status Act). It's a 'story' because it would appear that he discriminated against the customer by refusing to print invitations - a service he provides to others.

It is a given that an individual can hold whatever religious brliefs' they wish in their home or place of worship. My 'religous' beliefs may include a dogma of only driving at 150 kpm - that does not mean I'm going to escape been done for speeding. Haven't heard the Equality Authority being referred to as the 'PC' brigade ...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Every forum has a charter, and some of them are very restrictive. You would be being censored due to you opinion, not sexuality. I have been landed on in there for my posts, and I am not straight.
    The point wasn't directed at you so it's understandable how you missed it completely .......... it was all about analogies.

ps The word "analogies" isn't a homosexual euphemism by the way Ripper, in case you get confused again ........
    gozunda wrote: »
    MadDog it's really not that difficult. All forums have charter that vary in what you can or cannot post depending on the subject matter of that forum. The mod only upholds the existing charter.

If you post something you shouldn't in a forum that has a charter prohibits that 'something' - then your going to get at least told off, given an infraction or a Ban. Nothing to do with your ''opinion' or discrimination or 'feelings of a mod - it's a mod upholding the terms of an existing charter. Simple as. I know your trying to bring an analogy with the present case but it doesn't work. The charter would be similar to the law prohibiting something - in this case discrimination.

Mod

If you have an issue with the moderation in any forum, discuss it with that forum's mod - don't give out about it here.

No more discussion of the modding in LGBT or any other forum for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

gozunda wrote: »
    Here we go again! Because a business can't have 'religous beliefs' : rolleyes: I know what you are trying to say but businessss are legally obliged not to discriminate against customers in the provision of goods and services (see Equal Status Act). It's a 'story' because it would appear that he discriminated against the customer by refusing to print invitations - a service he provides to others.
    Though you are rather ignoring the fact that the business provided this individual with the same goods and services as other customers for four years, a notable lack of discrimination.
    It was only when he asked for a service which they are not known to have ever provided (or offered) anyone that he was refused.
    Given the specifics it's hard to say they discriminated against a gay person (illegally). It's more readily apparent that they discriminated against an event (legally).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement