Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Company Discriminates Against Gays

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Zillah wrote: »
    The sole answer that arises is that a person's right to not be discriminated against is more important than a person's (non-existent) right to discriminate. This applies to homophobes that own printers and have gay customers, and to racists that own restaurants and have black patrons.

When you understand why a racist restaurateur can't throw out black diners then you will understand why a homophobic printer can't turn away gay clients.

How about a sauna refusing a customer solely based on their heterosexuality?

What about that customers rights to not be discriminated against based on their sexuality?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I haven't been following the thread so I don't know if that's a thing that has been spoken about, but sure, if you're letting gay men into a sauna you should be letting straight men into a sauna.

Even if that was happening, do you think one instance of discrimination makes others ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

bjork wrote: »
    How about a sauna refusing a customer solely based on their heterosexuality?

What about that customers rights to not be discriminated against based on their sexuality?

Whats your opinion in that situation Bjork? And what does it tell you about the situation at hand.

I haven't been following the thread so I don't know if that's a thing that has been spoken about, but sure, if you're letting gay men into a sauna you should be letting straight men into a sauna.

Even if that was happening, do you think one instance of discrimination makes others ok?

I'm not sure myself if it has already being mentioned :)

But what I find ironic is a lot if the people who are very vocal on the printer issue, find other instances of discrimination ok because it suits them

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

But what I find ironic is a lot if the people who are very vocal on the printer issue, find other instances of discrimination ok because it suits them

Ok well I still have no idea what you're talking about, would you like to expand?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

I can't understand why the posters living on this thread cannot explain how it is discrimination to refuse to provide a specific service to everyone, equally.

What am I missing?

Even if it was happening > it is!!

How about B&B's advertising Gay only / lesbian only / women only >> That's happening too

Where's the outrage?

But Bjork you haven't bothered to let us know what your opinion is on discrimination.

reprise wrote: »
    I can't understand why the posters living on this thread cannot explain how it is discrimination to refuse to provide a specific service to everyone, equally.

What am I missing?

Try make it up a stairs in a wheelchair and I think you should get the idea.

Try make it up a stairs in a wheelchair and I think you should get the idea.

?

• Advertisement

But Bjork you haven't bothered to let us know what your opinion is on discrimination.

I'll sum it up briefly for you. If you need to know more there's 81 pages <<<<<of reading

What's good for the goose is good for the gander

I'll sum it up briefly for you. If you need to know more there's 81 pages <<<<<of reading

What's good for the goose is good for the gander

That doesn't offer any indication of your position.

?

I guess I underestimated your capacity to be a contrarian.

I run a taxi service. I offer the same service to everyone interested in travelling in my cabs. I am not bothered having any fitted for wheel chair access.

I guess I underestimated your capacity to be a contrarian.

I run a taxi service. I offer the same service to everyone interested in travelling in my cabs. I am not bothered having any fitted for wheel chair access.

I don't understand why you are wandering off topic. The printers will not print same sex marriage invitations for anyone. Straight, gay, able bodied, disabled, young, old, black, white, yellow etc etc.

Where is the discrimination?

I don't understand why you are wandering off topic. The printers will not print same sex marriage invitations for anyone. Straight, gay, able bodied, disabled, young, old, black, white, yellow etc etc.

I am bang on topic, in fact I am responding to a question you posed.

What am I missing?

You haven't remotely engaged with my response.

Bjork you still haven't bothered to indicate your position on discrimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

My hotel doesnt have any rooms for interracial couples so they can't stay.

Where's the discrimination?

I am bang on topic, in fact I am responding to a question you posed.

You haven't remotely engaged with my response.

No, you are inventing hypothetical scenarios to make some point.

Textbook strawman.

Please stay on topic.

My hotel doesnt have any rooms for interracial couples so they can't stay.

Where's the discrimination?

My hotel is booked out and has no rooms left as I explain to the gay customer.

Discrimination! You cry...

No, you are inventing hypothetical scenarios to make some point.

Textbook strawman.

Please stay on topic.

I am on topic. You asked why people were arguing that offering the same exact service to any customer could be considered discrimination. I responded and as is your habit when you can't think of a meaningful response you obfuscate.

• Advertisement

My hotel is booked out and has no rooms left as I explain to the gay customer.

Discrimination! You cry...

So you agree that not having interracial rooms means its not discrimination to turn down an interracial couple despite having empty rooms available?

Dont worry, I dont expect any response from you that doesnt attempt to avoid the point.

I am on topic. You asked why people were arguing that offering the same exact service to any customer could be considered discrimination. I responded and as is your habit when you can't think of a meaningful response you obfuscate.

I asked about the printers and you went off on a tangent building strawmen around taxis and wheelchairs. Because you don't have a reasonable response to the question you are inventing your own.

Would it not be easier to admit you haven't a clue what you are on about?

So you agree that not having interracial rooms means its not discrimination to turn down an interracial couple despite having empty rooms available?

Dont worry, I dont expect any response from you that doesnt attempt to avoid the point.

I agree turning a couple away because they are interracial as the sole reason for doing so is discrimination. Can you relate it to the topic now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

The only people who will ever want to buy them is, you guessed it, gay people. And why won't they print them? Because they're against gay marriage, they don't believe gay people deserve the same marriage rights as they do because they're gay. Again, can we stop trying to find loopholes to defend bigotry?

I asked about the printers and you went off on a tangent building strawmen around taxis and wheelchairs. Because you don't have a reasonable response to the question you are inventing your own.

Would it not be easier to admit you haven't a clue what you are on about?

Reprise, would it not be easier and more profitable for us both for you to engage properly, especially when others have had the decency to respond meaningfully to a question you asked?

You asked a question I answered it. Offering the same exact service to everyone is no guarantee of non-discrimination, in many circumstances such as the one I highlighted to you in my response it can on occasion actually be discriminatory.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    The only people who will ever want to buy them is, you guessed it, gay people. And why won't they print them? Because they're against gay marriage, they don't believe gay people deserve the same marriage rights as they do because they're gay. Again, can we stop trying to find loopholes to defend bigotry?

You don't have to be gay to enter in to a civil partnership. I can marry my friend for tax purposes if I want.

bb1234567 wrote: »

What if I wanted to buy the invitations as a gift? I am not gay.

I agree turning a couple away because they are interracial as the sole reason for doing so is discrimination. Can you relate it to the topic now?

ok, I will attempt to make this very simple so not even you can attempt to twist it.

The hotel has rooms, the printer has invitations.
    The hotel refuses to provide its service to an interracial couple, the printer refuses to provide its service to a same sex couple.
    The hotel claims it doesnt provide interracial rooms so its not discrimination, the printer claims it doesnt provide same sex couples invitations.
    The hotel wouldnt give anyone an interracial room, the printer wont provide anyone with same sex marriage invites. Hence, its ok.

People would see through the hotels pathetic attempt of hiding it and....

Im sure you can figure out the rest.

What if I wanted to buy the invitations as a gift? I am not gay.

Then they would have discriminated against you on the basis of perceived membership of the LGBT community. Much like I wouldn't get away with banning a traveled wedding if happened to stupidly luck out and mistake a settled family for travellers

• Advertisement

Reprise, would it not be easier and more profitable for us both for you to engage properly, especially when others have had the decency to respond meaningfully to a question you asked?

You asked a question I answered it. Offering the same exact service to everyone is no guarantee of non-discrimination, in many circumstances such as the one I highlighted to you in my response it can on occasion actually be discriminatory.

My question, had you read or understood it, related to declining to provide a specific service, regardless of who requested it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement