Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Company Discriminates Against Gays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

reprise wrote: »
    What if I wanted to buy the invitations as a gift? I am not gay.

Exactly, its a gift. They're not for you. The only people who need them is gay people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

Then they would have discriminated against you on the basis of perceived membership of the LGBT community. Much like I wouldn't get away with banning a traveled wedding if happened to stupidly luck out and mistake a settled family for travellers

What if they know I am married, even a long time customer and it is obvious the invitations are not for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

What if they know I am married, even a long time customer and it is obvious the invitations are not for me?

They'd have to ask you do you want a good deal on divorce cards too :)

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Exactly, its a gift. They're not for you. The only people who need them is gay people.

Can you claim discrimination through a third party? How would that work? A class action on behalf of every gay person in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

My question, had you read or understood it, related to declining to provide a specific service, regardless of who requested it.

Which equates to offering the same service to everyone in the English language.

I won't offer a wheelchair service regardless of who requests it... its not discrimination Mr. Wheelchair user because I'd refuse to offer Mr Standing a wheelchair service if he asked for it. I am sure you feel equally respecting now don't you.

• Advertisement

Which equates to offering the same service to everyone in the English language.

I won't offer a wheelchair service regardless of who requests it... its not discrimination Mr. Wheelchair user because I'd refuse to offer Mr Standing a wheelchair service if he asked for it. I am sure you feel equally respecting now don't you.

Are you saying it is discrimination not to have every taxi wheelchair accessible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Zillah wrote: »
    The sole answer that arises is that a person's right to not be discriminated against is more important than a person's (non-existent) right to discriminate. This applies to homophobes that own printers and have gay customers, and to racists that own restaurants and have black patrons.

When you understand why a racist restaurateur can't throw out black diners then you will understand why a homophobic printer can't turn away gay clients.

Once again you're argument relies entirely on hypothetical's and racial comparisons. You clearly feel that the rights of the gay customer take precedence over the rights of the straight printer. Incidentally, the printer does have the Constitutional rights of Freedom of religious expression and a legal right to Privacy, both of which the customer quite clearly violated. Essentially it boils down to 2 people, a customer wanting invitations printed and a printer declining the order because it went against his beliefs.

He didn't decline the offer because the customer was gay, he declined it because gay marriage goes against his religious beliefs.

What you're saying is that descrimination is OK, so long as it's not the gay guy being discriminated against.

Are you saying it is discrimination not to have every taxi wheelchair accessible?

Did I?

Did I?

God only knows at this point. I honestly have no idea what you are on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Can you claim discrimination through a third party? How would that work? A class action on behalf of every gay person in Ireland?

Why exactly are you defending these printers so passionately? You honestly believe they have no problem with gay people?

• Advertisement

Once again you're argument relies entirely on hypothetical's and racial comparisons.

It doesn't whatsoever but the use of hypotheticals and comparisons... yeah that is called the art of argument and discussion. Can you explain why the use of hypotheticals/comparisons or illustrative examples is not acceptable to you in this instance?
    You clearly feel that the rights of the gay customer take precedence over the rights of the straight printer.

Your need to frame this as a gay vs straight debate is peculiar. What if the printer is gay man who opposes civil unions?
    Incidentally, the printer does have the Constitutional rights of Freedom of religious expression and a legal right to Privacy, both of which the customer quite clearly violated.

That is a fairly substantive assumption to make I'd be interested in the legal basis.
    Essentially it boils down to 2 people, a customer wanting invitations printed and a printer declining the order because it went against his beliefs.

Essentially it boils down to a private business deciding on a religious basis who it must serve and in what manner. The law is quite settled in this regard, you are entitled to your religious belief within the confines of the law.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Why exactly are you defending these printers so passionately? You honestly believe they have no problem with gay people?

The fact that they were happy to do business with the client for four years previous suggests the actual issue is the provision of a specific service, regardless of the client.

The facts are they were happy to do business with the client for four years previous suggests the actual issue is the provision of a specific service.

Yeah they were happy for years until his sexuality became an issue at which point they refused.

Yeah they were happy for years until his sexuality became an issue at which point they refused.

Which is the point we go full circle, so I will explain it all again.

The printers don't print same sex wedding invitations for people who are straight, gay, old, young, black, orange, disabled, bald, etc etc.

ok, I will attempt to make this very simple so not even you can attempt to twist it.

I am not trying to twist anything which is why I have tried to avoid analogies the real issue doesn't need. But to be polite:
    The hotel has rooms, the printer has invitations.

Ok.
    The hotel refuses to provide its service to an interracial couple, the printer refuses to provide its service to a same sex couple.

Well, we have established that the printers did business with this individual before so the analogy breaks down here. Lets say the hotel says it doesn't allow functions in private rooms and the printers says it doesn't print same sex marriage invitations.
    The hotel claims it doesnt provide interracial rooms so its not discrimination,

We agreed that if this was the sole ground, it is discrimination right?
    the printer claims it doesnt provide same sex couples invitations.

Yes, to everyone and anyone, equally. Just as the hotel applies its rule on functions equally.
    The hotel wouldnt give anyone an interracial room, the printer wont provide anyone with same sex marriage invites. Hence, its ok.

Again, the analogy fails as the hotel had provided its services previously.
    People would see through the hotels pathetic attempt of hiding it and....

The printers hid nothing. They gave their reasons.
    Im sure you can figure out the rest.

ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Again I will ask, Who broke what law ? There is already positive discrimination within the law people seem to be fine with that. It all hinges on being the current hot button group.

Again I will ask, Who broke what law ? There is already positive discrimination within the law people seem to be fine with that. It all hinges on being the current hot button group.

Yeah definitely and who doesn't love the sense of privilage that comes with having people refuse you service based on the fact that they think your love is sin.

Yeah definitely and who doesn't love the sense of privilage that comes with having people refuse you service based on the fact that they think your love is sin.

They said that?

Link please.

Good luck getting an answer to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

MadDog76 wrote: »
    They have no issue dealing with sinners, they just won't promote the sin ...........
    gozunda wrote: »
    You're funny. What like this one?

But wait you never did explain your little dots .............

I do hope you have a bed. Using it makes a person less likley to be tired. ;)

I believe it was you who referred to homosexuals as "sinners" ........

• Advertisement

They said that?

Link please.

‘We, at Beulah Print, are Bible-believing Christians who are committed to standing by our conscience and God’s Word.’

'We have never hidden our faith from our customers and represent the gospel at every opportunity.'

‘We, at Beulah Print, are Bible-believing Christians who are committed to standing by our conscience and God’s Word.’

'We have never hidden our faith from our customers and represent the gospel at every opportunity.'

don't see love or Sin in that, Or are we having to interpret it to get something that is not there to support an agenda ?

don't see love or Sin in that, Or are we having to interpret it to get something that is not there to support an agenda ?

:pac: Well thats the company's statement my friend what is it that it says to you?

:pac: Well thats the company's statement my friend what is it that it says to you?

Nothing other than what's written in it I don't do elaborate leaps of logic, I'm not on either side, I would like this to be sorted out in the courts where it belongs. And not Trial by social media, As previously bad things happen to people that have not even broken a law.

Nothing other than what's written in it I don't do elaborate leaps of logic, I'm not on either side, I would like this to be sorted out in the courts where it belongs. And not Trial by social media, As previously bad things happen to people that have not even broken a law.

And what is written in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Which is the point we go full circle, so I will explain it all again.

The printers don't print same sex wedding invitations for people who are straight, gay, old, young, black, orange, disabled, bald, etc etc.

Black guy walks into his local, been a regular there for over four years, always enjoyed his usual pint and friendly chat with the barman ......... this particular night though he has had way more than one too many so the barman refuses him service on this occasion .......... the black guy screams racism ......... does he have a case?

As darkpagandeath said, nothing you claimed.

Standard kind of Christian stuff, I have no idea what flavour of Christian they are either so could not possibly comment and interpret it. On a side not interesting no reaction to the comment about it going before the courts.

Black guy walks into his local, been a regular there for over four years, always enjoyed his usual pint and friendly chat with the barman ......... this particular night though he has had way more than one too many so the barman refuses him service on this occasion .......... the black guy screams racism ......... does he have a case?

The tragedy is that you can't but help wonder if promoting inequality isn't the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I believe it was you who referred to homosexuals as "sinners" ........

Where?

You know what 'irony' is? It's like brassy but more so?

You're still funny ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement