Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Company Discriminates Against Gays

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Is 1.2 billion the cut off point for when my made up opinion and ethos start to count for something? Is a religious view an official fact once I hit this milestone? Tell me more how religion , any religion, should have any say in how anyone lives their lives.

If I freely choose to aline with the Catholics then it will have a say in my life, because I have chosen to live by it's code. This guy is 40+ he had free will. He wanted religion in his life - yet he wants to make his own rules.

and then complains when someone else is living by the code he signed up for

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

reprise wrote: »
    Off topic we go yet again.

Why not take it here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=526

Its completely on topic. Relgion is the entire reason any of this discrimination occurred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Is 1.2 billion the cut off point for when my made up opinion and ethos start to count for something? Is a religious view an official fact once I hit this milestone? Tell me more how religion , any religion, should have any say in how anyone lives their lives.

So much for religious freedom eh? Turns out its only specific religions which are granted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

So much for religious freedom eh? Turns out its only specific religions which are granted it.

Nobody cares about a religions opinions unless you're muslim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

Nobody cares about a religions opinions unless you're muslim.

Since when?

• Advertisement

I asked the bouncer with the gaydar at the sauna >Is it because I am catholic you won't let me in?
    > No, said he, > Sure the Vatican has the largest gay bathhouse in Europe > It's because you are heterosexual

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

bjork wrote: »
    I asked the bouncer with the gaydar at the sauna >Is it because I am catholic you won't let me in?
    > No, said he, > Sure the Vatican has the largest gay bathhouse in Europe > It's because you are heterosexual

Is this 'sauna' a club?

gozunda wrote: »
    Is this 'sauna' a club?

No! and it wasn't wheelchair friendly either

If I freely choose to aline with the Catholics then it will have a say in my life, because I have chosen to live by it's code. This guy is 40+ he had free will. He wanted religion in his life - yet he wants to make his own rules.

and then complains when someone else is living by the code he signed up for

And what if the two 'codes' are not the same?

ahem

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94650765&postcount=1409

• Advertisement

Did it have a taxi rank?

Does the roman catholic church approve of same sex partnerships?

Did it have a taxi rank?

No! and after negotiating up and down 5 flights of stairs in a a wheelchair, one really could be doing with a taxi

No! and after negotiating up and down 5 flights of stairs in a a wheelchair, one really could be doing with a taxi

:D

Was just thinking of getting one myself to hit the hay!

Does the roman catholic church approve of same sex partnerships?

No idea what if any the official stance of the RCC is tbh. The question I asked refers to if the 'codes' of the two parties that you referred to differed?

No idea what if any the official stance of the RCC is tbh. The question I asked refers to if the 'codes' of the two parties that you referred to differed?

One of them wouldn't be a big hypocrite I suppose

Bjork it would appear that whilst not a club it is a sauna for gay men. I can only presume it falls under the following provision of the equal status act:
    Gender - where a person can be treated differently in relation to cosmetic services that involve physical contact – for instance, hairdressing, body waxing, and so on. You can also be treated differently if there is a risk that you could be embarrassed because
    of a lack of privacy.
    For example, a woman might feel embarrassed having a bikini wax if there was a man present in the same room.

Not definite - but as its been around a while Id guess that has been already thrashed out.

Of course it would be open for hetrosexuals men or woman to set up a gender specific sauna as well.

Did you make a complaint?

One of them wouldn't be a big hypocrite I suppose

Well what if the two parties had different understandings of whatever religion there were - or one variety of religion was less extreme than the other. I know that in Ireland Al la carte Catholicism has been a criticism for along time eg birth control etc. don't think it's that unusual

Bjork it would appear that whilst not a club it is a sauna for gay men. I can only presume it falls under the following provision of the equal status act:
    Gender - where a person can be treated differently in relation to cosmetic services that involve physical contact – for instance, hairdressing, body waxing, and so on. You can also be treated differently if there is a risk that you could be embarrassed because
    of a lack of privacy.
    For example, a woman might feel embarrassed having a bikini wax if there was a man present in the same room.

Not definite - but as its been around a while Id guess that has been already thrashed out.

Of course it would be open for hetrosexuals men or woman to set up a gender specific sauna as well.

Did you make a complaint?

The ECHR started to look in to gay only place being discrimiatory in 2011 > No ruling as of yet that I can find, they must be still working on it

I reckon it would fall under this

The Sex Discrimination Act makes it unlawful for anyone who provides goods, facilities or services to the public, to treat women less favourably than men (and vice versa). This applies even if the goods, facilities or services are provided free of charge. Examples of the goods, facilities and services covered are:

access to and use of the facilities in public places such as hotels, restaurants, nightclubs, pubs, recreation centres, etc

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/your-rights/equal-rights/gender/sex-discrimination-consumer/sex-discrimination-consumer-your-rights

Well what if the two parties had different understandings of whatever religion there were - or one variety of religion was less extreme than the other. I know that in Ireland Al la carte Catholicism has been a criticism for along time eg birth control etc. don't think it's that unusual

Al la carte Catholism, it seems to be :pac:
    Why would anyone be in a religion that is so at odds with the reality of their life? To meet the neighbors for chats after mass?

The ECHR started to look in to gay only place being discrimiatory in 2011 > No ruling as of yet that I can find, they must be still working on it

I reckon it would fall under this

The Sex Discrimination Act makes it unlawful for anyone who provides goods, facilities or services to the public, to treat women less favourably than men (and vice versa). This applies even if the goods, facilities or services are provided free of charge. Examples of the goods, facilities and services covered are:

access to and use of the facilities in public places such as hotels, restaurants, nightclubs, pubs, recreation centres, etc

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/your-rights/equal-rights/gender/sex-discrimination-consumer/sex-discrimination-consumer-your-rights

Interesting but looks like for a sauna - they may have the privacy angle covered
    Under the current act
    Al la carte Catholism, it seems to be :pac:
    Why would anyone be in a religion that is so at odds with the reality of their life? To meet the neighbors for chats after mass?

Tbh I know plenty being of a certain faith but not necessarily observing the tenants of it. Fairly common ime.

• Advertisement

Interesting but looks like for a sauna - they may have the privacy angle covered
    Under the current act

Tbh I know plenty being of a certain faith but not necessarily observing the tenants of it. Fairly common ime.

Just because you say it is isn't necessarily true

Two gay hotel owners told the Daily Telegraph that being forced to accept straight people would damage their businesses.
    http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2011/02/21/gay-only-hotels-to-be-investigated-for-discriminating-against-straights/

Sure, we can all make up our own religion and call it whatever we like.

Also what other peoples right to privacy? > I should be able to get changed without being sexually objectified by people my own gender when I'm showering and changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Come back to me when you have 1.2 billion followers or so.

So it isn't religious freedom your concerned about really its the power of the majority.

So it isn't religious freedom your concerned about really its the power of the majority.

You do realise the gay man identifies as being part of that club, yes? He is part of the majority you speak of.

So is he discriminating against himself?

I can marry my friend > I don't have to be homosexual.

Isn't the same exact scenario true of a weddings (in the legal sense) for any mixed gender couple of friends? Also utterly irrelevant.

Just because you say it is isn't necessarily true

Didn't say it was ;)
    Two gay hotel owners told the Daily Telegraph that being forced to accept straight people would damage their businesses.
    http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2011/02/21/gay-only-hotels-to-be-investigated-for-discriminating-against-straights/

Not to sure what the situation is with hotels tbh - the link to the Equal Status Act has been posted in the thread. - take a look maybe. However a hotel is not a sauna so not directly comparable imo.
    Sure, we can all make up our own religion and call it whatever we like.

True - and that's where all religions originate from - why do you think there are so many different religions in the world?
    Also what other peoples right to privacy? I should be able to get changed without being sexually objectified by people my own gender when I'm showering and changing.

Well it stands there appears to be a right to privacy by gender. Maybe individual privacy is something to lobby for ie equal but segregated facilities.

You do realise the gay man identifies as being part of that club, yes? He is part of the majority you speak of.

Literally what? That has nothing, nothing to do with what I wrote.

Sounds like he is engaging in the same cherry picking that is rampant around here.

Isn't the same exact scenario true of a weddings (in the legal sense) for any mixed gender couple of friends? Also utterly irrelevant.

of course it's relevant
    Literally what? That has nothing, nothing to do with what I wrote.

Your complaining about the power of the majority ie "catholics". But the man identifies as being catholic.

Does the printer identify as catholic? > Unknown

So by blaming catholics > the gay man is discriminating against himself

True - and that's where all religions originate from - why do you think there are so many different religions in the world?

We can, but we can't force the lad in the Vatican to be head of it

Hey maybe I'll force you to be the head of my religion :)

• Advertisement

Anyone else find the gays boring,at this point in time?

My God as a gay person yes I am entirely exhausted having to listen to debates about where I can buy cakes or cannot buy cakes... what cakes I may buy and what cakes I buy that are likely to be political footballs... whether the printer i approach with my business is going to treat me like an ordinary customer or make a huge deal about the fact that my life long partner with whom I wish to spend the rest of my life happens to have the same genitals.

In general I guess I am sick of the fact that my mundane ordinary everyday life that is no different from anyone else's except in one regard is considered a political issue.

I hope very soon that we never have to hear about this nonsense anymore.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement