Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Videos won't open in Windows

Options
  • 05-03-2015 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

Starting to lose the rag big time over this.

Whenever I record video on my iPhone (4S), I seek to transfer it onto my laptop at the earliest opportunity to free up storage space on the phone (16GB, most of which is music and photos).

However, when I move the video files into the library on my laptop and I click in to view the videos, instantly I get a message saying 'Windows Explorer has stopped working' and the folder closes. This is only a recent development and I have had both phone and laptop since last summer.

Thankfully I've taken to keeping the videos on my phone so as not to lose them (uploaded some of them onto Dropbox too which helps), but even after removing a load of music and photos, I still fear that I'll run out of storage at the worst possible time.

I don't get why the 'Windows Explorer has stopped working' message keeps coming up, though. Any technologically-gifted souls out there able to offer a remedy to this head-melting problem?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Install VLC and see that solves your problem. It could be a file association problem on your pc.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Can you open other videos, and are you definitely using VLC?

Edit: damn you degsie, stealing my thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Yes I have VLC. It opens some videos fine, but a few that I've transferred off the phone in the last month or so are giving hassle.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

The crashing of windows Explorer is caused by a codec issue more than likely. It's possible Explorer is trying to generate a thumbnail image of the video which is causing this. You can install Klite Codecs (Basic will do) which should fix any broken codecs and resolve the issue. You can still use VLC to play the video after

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

yoyo wrote: »
    The crashing of windows Explorer is caused by a codec issue more than likely. It's possible Explorer is trying to generate a thumbnail image of the video which is causing this. You can install Klite Codecs (Basic will do) which should fix any broken codecs and resolve the issue. You can still use VLC to play the video after

Nick

tried that but unfortunately hasn't done the trick, thanks for the suggestion though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Install Mediainfo and see what video/audio format is contained in the file.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

You say that you have VLC, but you don't say if that's definitely what Windows is trying to use to open your videos. It may be that VLC is no longer the default application for opening videos from your phone, and whatever windows is trying to use is having problems.

Try opening VLC on its own without clicking on a video to open it. Click on Media >> Open File. Browse to one of the videos and play it directly from within VLC.

If that works then go to Tools >> Preferences. and under Interface click on the "Set up associations" button near the bottom to make VLC the default player again.

Advertisement