Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC World in Sligo

Options
  • 05-03-2015 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Is it me or do PC world have the worst attitude on earth when it comes to helping customers. They will not answer the phone in Sligo and i must have tried 20 times on different days. I eventually found a number on boards.ie that got me through to Sheffield in the UK --I kid you not !! The lady there was polite and was able to tell me that the store in Sligo did not have the hard drive I was looking for. So, I then tried to buy it online from PC world and guess what--it would not take my card after several attempts. So, I ended finding it on another site and promptly had the transaction completed in a few minutes.
    Any time I did visit their Sligo store I either witnessed customers complaining or having a problem and staff not being entirely helpful to them, or if I asked myself for info on some product or other the staff member didn't seem to have a clue. I am no expert on electrical or IT products but I think I probably know more myself than some of those working there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭iamnotme

Couldn't agree more. Bought MacBook there, big money at time. Had a problem with it and went back and explained it to a staff member. Was like I was talking Swahili. Reason I went there in first place was in case something did go wrong. Learnt my lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rusty999

They need to learn the meaning of the age old term--the customer is ALWAYS right especially if he or she is spending large, or indeed small wads of cash. The customer is keeping them in jobs and surely its not too much to expect a little smile or a semi- friendly greeting when you approach any of them for advise or help with making a purchase. And , answer those bloody phones !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

rusty999 wrote: »
    They need to learn the meaning of the age old term--the customer is ALWAYS right especially if he or she is spending large, or indeed small wads of cash. The customer is keeping them in jobs and surely its not too much to expect a little smile or a semi- friendly greeting when you approach any of them for advise or help with making a purchase. And , answer those bloody phones !!!!

If they keep that up, the store would be closed down then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

Haven't been there in a while but always found them helpful when I did visit and ask questions. Finding a member of staff not busy was a problem on occasion!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Couldn't agree more OP - can relate to the non answering of phone - unhelpful staff with little knowledge and an apathy.

I shopped a lot in there when they first opened and purchased many items but in recent years I have given up going there and wondering what the PC in their title actually does stand for because they seem to be more dedicated to selling tvs.

Having said that they aren't the only shop in that complex who seem to have the same problems with apathy and lack of knowledge I can think of at least two others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

There are no direct numbers to the stores. Don't waste your time ringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

High staff turnover is a problem. That's because the pay is crap and as soon as a staff member has enough experience to do their job competently they leave.

Also, I'm pretty certain that it's PC World's policy nationwide to do everything possible to prevent refunds or exchanges of faulty goods.

This would also be quite stressful for employees, and also contribute to the high turnover.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

See it's Companies like PC World that would be a road block to someone like myself setting up a small retail unit in Sligo. Like Athlone, the place may also be saturated with little IT Shops fighting for Business, which would make life hard to compete and actually offer a decent service. Instead, you have big brands offering machines at decent prices because they can afford to with shítty service to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Itzy wrote: »
    See it's Companies like PC World that would be a road block to someone like myself setting up a small retail unit in Sligo. Like Athlone, the place may also be saturated with little IT Shops fighting for Business, which would make life hard to compete and actually offer a decent service. Instead, you have big brands offering machines at decent prices because they can afford to with shítty service to go with it.

Itzy personally I tend to shop now in the smaller outfits, even if (and this isn't always the case) things may be pricer nothing beats good customer service and knowledge!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Out of curiosity, is there many small IT retailers in Sligo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Itzy wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, is there many small IT retailers in Sligo?
    two off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

shanec1928 wrote: »
    two off the top of my head.

plenty of 'shams' selling second hand stuff with buckets of software on it. They of course they neglect to mention that its all pirate and even the version of windows they supply you is dodgey

I'm a Software Engineer by trade, but I would love to set up shop in Sligo. I would understand completely where cheeky feckers may pass off knock off Software as genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jaydami3n

rusty999 wrote:
    Is it me or do PC world have the worst attitude on earth when it comes to helping customers. They will not answer the phone in Sligo and i must have tried 20 times on different days. I eventually found a number on boards.ie that got me through to Sheffield in the UK --I kid you not !! The lady there was polite and was able to tell me that the store in Sligo did not have the hard drive I was looking for. So, I then tried to buy it online from PC world and guess what--it would not take my card after several attempts. So, I ended finding it on another site and promptly had the transaction completed in a few minutes. Any time I did visit their Sligo store I either witnessed customers complaining or having a problem and staff not being entirely helpful to them, or if I asked myself for info on some product or other the staff member didn't seem to have a clue. I am no expert on electrical or IT products but I think I probably know more myself than some of those working there.

rusty999 wrote:
    Is it me or do PC world have the worst attitude on earth when it comes to helping customers. They will not answer the phone in Sligo and i must have tried 20 times on different days. I eventually found a number on boards.ie that got me through to Sheffield in the UK --I kid you not !! The lady there was polite and was able to tell me that the store in Sligo did not have the hard drive I was looking for. So, I then tried to buy it online from PC world and guess what--it would not take my card after several attempts. So, I ended finding it on another site and promptly had the transaction completed in a few minutes. Any time I did visit their Sligo store I either witnessed customers complaining or having a problem and staff not being entirely helpful to them, or if I asked myself for info on some product or other the staff member didn't seem to have a clue. I am no expert on electrical or IT products but I think I probably know more myself than some of those working there.

I fully understand your problem. I used to work there for almost 4 years. When I started I couldn't imagine best place to work specially for geek as me ;) That time Sligo shop was one of the best from all country. Was beating all in sales and in having best team. All of us were having great attitude, lots of ideas how to have fun with people and just how to spend great time with them. We all felt that you all need us same as company need. All followed by some extras from sales etc. But since they get a rid of irish division and England totally took it over all that have end. New contracts, pretty ****ty ones (8,75 per hour, 8-20 week hours no bonus scheme etc.) Basicly they started to look for cuts. On top of that managers started to squeez and push you to sell all of those cover plans etc. Part of buisness of course but feck it if you don't need it. Whole atmosphere just gone... All good lads quit and they started to employ people just from street with no idea of computing world. No fence but that is true. Plus all of those duties for **** money and no chance for normal contracts or basicly more stable future. Its a **** job these days so you have to undarstand it a little bit :) pitty that they did not invest proper money for Sligo Pc World. Stock is always low and if you visit some new revenue Dublin stores it feels like a diff company in therms of look and stock levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Probably happened with the demise of Declan on the Currys forum.

Did they remove some of the shelving or something in Sligo.

Looks like a lot less stuff in it lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I'd imagine online shopping has bitten pretty hard into this area as well? I buy most of my PC peripherals via the internet. With a bit of googling you can troubleshoot problems quite effectively too.

I was pretty excited when PC World first opened but soon found I knew more about the gear I was shopping for than the people selling it. And I am no tech expert by any stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭SO7378

Thats why you dont shop there

I'd imagine online shopping has bitten pretty hard into this area as well? I buy most of my PC peripherals via the internet. With a bit of googling you can troubleshoot problems quite effectively too.

I was pretty excited when PC World first opened but soon found I knew more about the gear I was shopping for than the people selling it. And I am no tech expert by any stretch.

Any Tech expert worth their weight wouldn't be caught dead working in retail. I am open to correction how ever.

Advertisement