Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sell Laptop Troubles

Options
  • 05-03-2015 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi, hoping someone here can help me out. My Dell Vostro 1540 laptop died tonight after I put in a new battery and charger. The blue screen came up on it and I turned it off and back on again. I got as far as the safe mode/start normally screen when it froze. It wouldn't restart after that. Initially it would turn on with the fan but wouldn't power up. Now when I press the power button the lights flash for a second and it makes a clicking noise but it won't turn on. I tried the whole holding the power button for 20 secs and taking battery out etc but nothing.

Hoping someone here an identify what the problem might be. Would it be worth my while going to a repair shop?

Edit: title typo should be Dell!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Will it work on ac.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Duffy89

beauf wrote: »
    Will it work on ac.

No same thing as battery it just clicks on for a second but won't power up

I wonder is the AC power adapter within spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

You mentioned you got a new charger and battery, are you sure they are compatible with the laptop? Are they third party items or official Dell items?

I struggle to get an offcial Dell one so my current one is a spurious one. It works ok. But, it causes interference on my powerline adapter, kills the speed completely, where as the Dell one didn't.

• Advertisement

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    You mentioned you got a new charger and battery, are you sure they are compatible with the laptop? Are they third party items or official Dell items?

I got them on Amazon but they appear to be genuine Dell and the reviews were very good as well. They are the exact same items as the old one's so they should be compatible. From doing further research online it would appear to be the motherboard. Not sure what caused it to go though and if it's just a coincidence with the new battery and charger. Might need to cut my losses and get a new one at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Duffy89 wrote: »
    I got them on Amazon but they appear to be genuine Dell and the reviews were very good as well. They are the exact same items as the old one's so they should be compatible. From doing further research online it would appear to be the motherboard. Not sure what caused it to go though and if it's just a coincidence with the new battery and charger. Might need to cut my losses and get a new one at this stage.

Poor power supply would fry a motherboard alright...

Poor power supply would fry a motherboard alright...

Thanks everyone for your help lesson learned. Will try and get some comeback off Amazon.

It might be something that can be repaired on the board. Alternatively you might find another one with a broken screen and you might be able to mix and match parts. Bit of work and time involved in that though. If its broken you've nothing to lose. I've had mine apart a dozen times at this point.

beauf wrote: »
    It might be something that can be repaired on the board. Alternatively you might find another one with a broken screen and you might be able to mix and match parts. Bit of work and time involved in that though. If its broken you've nothing to lose. I've had mine apart a dozen times at this point.

Thanks for the advice. It switched on at lunchtime and stayed on for about 10 minutes before the blue screen came up. I'm going to try and get it on again and save down data and just get the new one. I wouldn't even know where to begin with the above!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

Does the laptop post (i.e. does it display the Dell screen)

If it does, the clicking sound could be from a bad HDD.

Again, if it does POST, I'd recommend using the Dell diagnostics Utility to first check the Hard Drive and then run the other tests usually F12 on startup but not 100% sure on your laptop...

Advertisement