Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United 2015 season - MOD Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Crowd wasn't announced (or if it was I didn't hear it) but it looked bigger than the one for the Sligo game last week. I'd estimate around 1,600. Very flat atmosphere from the home section, Limerick fans made more noise than any other travelling supporters to Terryland this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

youngrun wrote: »
    That was probably our best team bar maybe Molloy if playing well. Tough games ahead . What was the crowd?
    The official attendance was 1525.

Each to their own but I wouldn't say that was near our best team. Going 4-5-1 was odd. Instead of 4-4-2 like we did against Sligo when we needed a win. Needless to say we were poor in both of those games but Limerick punished us, Sligo didn't. We are playing players that are nowhere near match fit: Curran, Walsh, Connolly, O'Leary. Then we are trying to change games by bringing Andy O'Connell on as a striker...?! You would be hoping that Molloy and Byrne will be back soon but they will be totally off the pace too. Was there even one positive from last night? I don't think we have ever passed the ball so poorly, even consistent players like Horgan and Connolly were dreadful. Shanahan is not even related to a footballer. Paul Sinnott was one of our best performers.... Jake Keegan hasn't looked right since the cup final.

Best eleven on current form?
    Winn
    Horgan - Oji - Cantwell - Ludden
    Shanahan - Sinnott - Connolly - Molloy/Melody
    Curran - Keegan

Knowing our luck 2-3 of those will be missing for Dundalk. We haven't taken a point off any of the top 4 sides this season and 2 of our remaining 3 games are against them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Is that average, good, bad?

snubbleste wrote: »
    I would say good to be honest. It must be highlighted that Limerick brought 300 of the 1525.

Our home form has been pitiful this year and a general feeling of apathy towards the club is growing because of that. We've lost 19 of 30 league games... we're a bit gutless and our home attendances have gradually dwindled as the season has progressed (or regressed you might say).

Some supporters say the club don't do enough marketing or PR work, but I don't agree entirely. Only really Cork City do proper marketing in this league. I think we are on par with most other clubs in that regards or better. Earlier in the season we got crowds of 1,500-1,600 at home games, which is large for a club fighting relegation but how many poor performances can fans suffer?

Speaking on my own behalf, it hasn't been an enjoyable season to follow the club. 2 draws all season. 19 losses. Our heads just drop and we give away so many silly goals. Our team is bollockless. We're far too nice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

I would say good to be honest. It must be highlighted that Limerick brought 300 of the 1525.

Our home form has been pitiful this year and a general feeling of apathy towards the club is growing because of that. We've lost 19 of 30 league games... we're a bit gutless and our home attendances have gradually dwindled as the season has progressed (or regressed you might say).

Some supporters say the club don't do enough marketing or PR work, but I don't agree entirely. Only really Cork City do proper marketing in this league. I think we are on par with most other clubs in that regards or better. Earlier in the season we got crowds of 1,500-1,600 at home games, which is large for a club fighting relegation but how many poor performances can fans suffer?

Speaking on my own behalf, it hasn't been an enjoyable season to follow the club. 2 draws all season. 19 losses. Our heads just drop and we give away so many silly goals. Our team is bollockless. We're far too nice.

Would tend to agree with your last points poor goals conceded and a lack of real bite and aggression in play . Connolly and Walsh have it when fully fit and Keegan too but the three of them just seem a bit tired . Faherty looked v good last night . ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Each to their own but I wouldn't say that was near our best team. Going 4-5-1 was odd. Instead of 4-4-2 like we did against Sligo when we needed a win. Needless to say we were poor in both of those games but Limerick punished us, Sligo didn't. We are playing players that are nowhere near match fit: Curran, Walsh, Connolly, O'Leary. Then we are trying to change games by bringing Andy O'Connell on as a striker...?! You would be hoping that Molloy and Byrne will be back soon but they will be totally off the pace too. Was there even one positive from last night? I don't think we have ever passed the ball so poorly, even consistent players like Horgan and Connolly were dreadful. Shanahan is not even related to a footballer. Paul Sinnott was one of our best performers.... Jake Keegan hasn't looked right since the cup final.

Best eleven on current form?
    Winn
    Horgan - Oji - Cantwell - Ludden
    Shanahan - Sinnott - Connolly - Molloy/Melody
    Curran - Keegan

Knowing our luck 2-3 of those will be missing for Dundalk. We haven't taken a point off any of the top 4 sides this season and 2 of our remaining 3 games are against them.

As i said previously the manager is just far too negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

snubbleste wrote: »

good

As i said previously the manager is just far too negative.

his resources are very limited

They're not that limited.

What does limited resources have to do with how he sets his team up to play? He had arguably his first eleven maybe bar one or two max available and still went negative.

• Advertisement

What does limited resources have to do with how he sets his team up to play? He had arguably his first eleven maybe bar one or two max available and still went negative.

He is operating off one of the lowest budgets in the league. Has had a lot of injuries. Had to sign his squad without the knowledge he'd have access to the u19s. Got the club to a cup final and is in with a decent chance of staying up. He's down well with the resources available to him.

He is operating off one of the lowest budgets in the league. Has had a lot of injuries. Had to sign his squad without the knowledge he'd have access to the u19s. Got the club to a cup final and is in with a decent chance of staying up. He's down well with the resources available to him.

Thats all well and good but using those resources to the best of their potential is something he isnt doing, setting up negatively in big games is costing us and has done all season, this has nothing to do with a lack or surplus of resources.

He is operating off one of the lowest budgets in the league.
    He has a bigger budget than several teams in the Division. The only counter argument you could possibly make is that the likes of Bray/Longford/Drogheda are nearer to Dublin so it's cheaper for them to attract players than us. His budget is only limited when compared to top teams in the Division. We outbid Limerick for players in the off-season for example. Dunne's recruitment has been underwhelming at best and haphazard at worst. He hasn't spent his resources well.

Sam Oji - With the exception of maybe the last month or so, has been a disaster.
    Andy O'Connell - He's now a centre forward?!?! Showed some promise, then got injured for 5 months.
    David O'Leary - He was doing average at best, then his form dipped after the mid season break. He's been awful of late.
    Kevin Garcia - ....
    Tomi Saarelma - LOL
    Kilian Cantwell - Probably his only decent addition in the off season. Looks a really promising player.
    Has had a lot of injuries. Had to sign his squad without the knowledge he'd have access to the u19s.
    Both fair points. Both true, but signing people like Oji a week before the season hardly helped matters.
    Got the club to a cup final and is in with a decent chance of staying up. He's down well with the resources available to him.
    You feel he has done well, I feel he has underachieved with the budget at his disposal. We have lost 19 of 30 league games. That is NOT good enough. Our league form has been underwhelming and we concede far too many goals. The set piece saga was embarrassing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Is there much talent coming up in the U19s? Will any be thrown in the deep end last few games ? Couple of the main players look really tired in recent games

He has a bigger budget than several teams in the Division. The only counter argument you could possibly make is that the likes of Bray/Longford/Drogheda are nearer to Dublin so it's cheaper for them to attract players than us. His budget is only limited when compared to top teams in the Division. We outbid Limerick for players in the off-season for example. Dunne's recruitment has been underwhelming at best and haphazard at worst. He hasn't spent his resources well.

Sam Oji - With the exception of maybe the last month or so, has been a disaster.
    Andy O'Connell - He's now a centre forward?!?! Showed some promise, then got injured for 5 months.
    David O'Leary - He was doing average at best, then his form dipped after the mid season break. He's been awful of late.
    Kevin Garcia - ....
    Tomi Saarelma - LOL
    Kilian Cantwell - Probably his only decent addition in the off season. Looks a really promising player.

Both fair points. Both true, but signing people like Oji a week before the season hardly helped matters.

You feel he has done well, I feel he has underachieved with the budget at his disposal. We have lost 19 of 30 league games. That is NOT good enough. Our league form has been underwhelming and we concede far too many goals. The set piece saga was embarrassing.

Having a bigger budget than several teams suggests he has a smaller budget than most.

Limerick also outbid us for players. That's life.

You name 5 signings that you consider poor. He also signed the other 18 players so that's a decent strike rate off a small budget.

He's only 2 wins away from 6th and if he finished there then that would have been a brilliant season. It's all small margains when your resources are poor.

Having a bigger budget than several teams suggests he has a smaller budget than most.

Limerick also outbid us for players. That's life.

You name 5 signings that you consider poor. He also signed the other 18 players so that's a decent strike rate off a small budget.

He's only 2 wins away from 6th and if he finished there then that would have been a brilliant season. It's all small margains when your resources are poor.
    Hang on, you said he has one of the smallest budgets in the Division. Not me. That's simply untrue. Our budget would be very much middle of the road.

Which players did Limerick outbid us for? I know they couldn't compete with our offers for O'Leary and Oji. The latter even has an apartment paid for.

I went and listed his signings in the off-season/July. Why would I go through 18 other players from last years squad that were kept on. I'm talking about this season obviously. His recruitment has been shabby and his budget is nowhere as small as you're making out.

He's two wins away from 6th, and what chances are there we will get those two wins? We've lost EVERY league game against the top 4 this season. Two of our games in the run in are against Dundalk and Pats. Bray could go eitherway, they will be looking at it as a game they can win. We will be lucky to get 3 points.

Hang on, you said he has one of the smallest budgets in the Division. Not me. That's simply untrue. Our budget would be very much middle of the road.

Which players did Limerick outbid us for? I know they couldn't compete with our offers for O'Leary and Oji. The latter even has an apartment paid for.

I went and listed his signings in the off-season/July. Why would I go through 18 other players from last years squad that were kept on. I'm talking about this season obviously. His recruitment has been shabby and his budget is nowhere as small as you're making out.

He's two wins away from 6th, and what chances are there we will get those two wins? We've lost EVERY league game against the top 4 this season. Two of our games in the run in are against Dundalk and Pats. Bray could go eitherway, they will be looking at it as a game they can win. We will be lucky to get 3 points.

We are very much a middle of the road team except we did not have the option earlier in the season of having use of the u19. Hence the lessor resources than the rest. Our budget is less than the likes of Sligo and Derry who we are battling away with.

We were unable to match Limericks offer for Vinny.

Dundalk and pats are likely to have nothing to play for when we meet them.

No players have a 12 mts contract. All players were signed this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭ratracer

We are very much a middle of the road team except we did not have the option earlier in the season of having use of the u19. Hence the lessor resources than the rest. Our budget is less than the likes of Sligo and Derry who we are battling away with.

Dundalk will be getting presented with the league trophy in front of their home fans - I don't think they are gonna want to lose that game. Don't Pats still have a chance at Europe, they will be after the points.

After the win against Sligo, three points against Limerick would probably have been good enough for United, but they were never in contention at all in the game. I hope we manage to stay in the top division, but I think even a play off could be a game too far at this stage.The very defensive strategy has failed them, as well as their farcical defending of set pieces all season.

In Sligo's worst season for yonks, they're still going to finish ahead of us. Their budget is not much larger than ours. It gives an insight into our ambition, if we manage to stay up, it's great, if Sligo do, it's considered a disaster of a season.

You're wrong on Faherty by the way, Dunne wasn't keen on him, he offered him less than he was on in the First Division and Faherty wouldn't agree for anything less than he was on in 2014, which is fair enough. Then he started training with Limerick and signed for them. But you can spin it whatever way you like.

Dundalk and Pats will turn us despite having little to play for. The Bray game is a must-win for us.

I think the player point flew over your head again. I'm discussing the SIGNINGS he has made this season. Not renewals. The players he has brought in from outside this season have largely failed with the exception of Cantwell.

In Sligo's worst season for yonks, they're still going to finish ahead of us. Their budget is not much larger than ours. It gives an insight into our ambition, if we manage to stay up, it's great, if Sligo do, it's considered a disaster of a season.

You're wrong on Faherty by the way, Dunne wasn't keen on him, he offered him less than he was on in the First Division and Faherty wouldn't agree for anything less than he was on in 2014, which is fair enough. Then he started training with Limerick and signed for them. But you can spin it whatever way you like.

Dundalk and Pats will turn us despite having little to play for. The Bray game is a must-win for us.

I think the player point flew over your head again. I'm discussing the SIGNINGS he has made this season. Not renewals. The players he has brought in from outside this season have largely failed with the exception of Cantwell.

Exactly what i was posting a while ago but my laptop had a fit.

• Advertisement

Thats pretty much what happened oji except in reverse. Of course you ignore the fact that our lack of resources meant Barrett left. Our lack of an under 19 team meant we had to sign 3 keepers instead of the top class keeper we couldnt afford instead.

But we cant rerun the season and we are where we are. Which is still in with a chance of sixth which would be a massive result.

So lets get behind the team and leave the witch hunt until after the end on the season.

COME ON UNITED.....

Thats pretty much what happened oji except in reverse. Of course you ignore the fact that our lack of resources meant Barrett left. Our lack of an under 19 team meant we had to sign 3 keepers instead of the top class keeper we couldnt afford instead.

But we cant rerun the season and we are where we are. Which is still in with a chance of sixth which would be a massive result.

So lets get behind the team and leave the witch hunt until after the end on the season.

COME ON UNITED.....

We all want the team to stay up but things could and should be very different, you are conveniently ignoring the managers negativity and focusing on round the houses arguments about players. BTW Barrett left to go to the champions and have a chance of European football, it wasn't anything else.

In Sligo's worst season for yonks, they're still going to finish ahead of us. Their budget is not much larger than ours.

The last accounts i saw for sligo rovers were the 2013 accounts and their turnover was (going from memory) around 1.5 million and the wages were around 1 million.

Even without the european money and cup money their wage budget is a multiple of ours.

We all want the team to stay up but things could and should be very different, you are conveniently ignoring the managers negativity and focusing on round the houses arguments about players. BTW Barrett left to go to the champions and have a chance of European football, it wasn't anything else.

Im not focusing on anything im just pointing out that the next few games will decide if this is a great season, an average season or a poor season.

We should be behind the team until the final whistle of the final game and stop the witch hunt until after that. There will be plenty of time to argue about the football all winter. I have not noticed any major change in the style of football since Dunne took charge.

Thats pretty much what happened oji except in reverse.
    Sorry but you're totally wrong there, again.
    Of course you ignore the fact that our lack of resources meant Barrett left.
    Rubbish. Should he stay with a newly promoted club or sign for the league champions who were going to be playing Champions League football.... ya, I'm sure it was all down to the money..... Sam Oji was his direct replacement and if you had any idea how much he's on you wouldn't be saying it was due to a lack of resources.
    Our lack of an under 19 team meant we had to sign 3 keepers instead of the top class keeper we couldnt afford instead.
    Wrong. He was speaking to an experienced keeper in the off-season but decided against signing him. Probably the fairest thing to do because nobody could've expected Gleeson to struggle as much as he did.

COME ON UNITED.....
    I've always been behind the team. We're as likely to get relegated as we are to finish 6th.

Sorry but you're totally wrong there, again.

Rubbish. Should he stay with a newly promoted club or sign for the league champions who were going to be playing Champions League football.... ya, I'm sure it was all down to the money..... Sam Oji was his direct replacement and if you had any idea how much he's on you wouldn't be saying it was due to a lack of resources.

Wrong. He was speaking to an experienced keeper in the off-season but decided against signing him. Probably the fairest thing to do because nobody could've expected Gleeson to struggle as much as he did.

I've always been behind the team. We're as likely to get relegated as we are to finish 6th.
    Im also fully behind the manager and team in what remains, but thoughts of sixth are completely delusional. I know theyre not your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

We haven't a hope in hell of finishing 6th. We'll do well to finish 11th.

Im also fully behind the manager and team in what remains, but thoughts of sixth are completely delusional. I know theyre not your thoughts.
    We haven't a hope in hell of finishing 6th. We'll do well to finish 11th.

Ah sure let's not bother fielding a team for the next few matches so.

Ah sure let's not bother fielding a team for the next few matches so.
    I don't think anybody is saying to write these games off. We have to win the Bray game without a doubt and hope to get a draw maybe in one of the other games.

Do you remember in the "great escape" season under Jeff Kenna. We played a few clubs that were miles above us in the table, they had far superior squads to us but they had nothing to play for and we had some momentum and belief. I remember we beat Pats away, Cork City at home, etc.

Can you honestly say that you expect us to do the same against Dundalk and Pats? That group had experience, grittiness and quality. Perhaps most importantly, the entire squad were fit and raring to go in the run-in (Except for Alan Keane who played with a shoulder injury). Right now we're playing several players who are either carrying injuries or nowhere near match fit and big players are totally out of form like Jake Keegan.

• Advertisement

I don't think anybody is saying to write these games off. We have to win the Bray game without a doubt and hope to get a draw maybe in one of the other games.

Do you remember in the "great escape" season under Jeff Kenna. We played a few clubs that were miles above us in the table, they had far superior squads to us but they had nothing to play for and we had some momentum and belief. I remember we beat Pats away, Cork City at home, etc.

Can you honestly say that you expect us to do the same against Dundalk and Pats? That group had experience, grittiness and quality. Perhaps most importantly, the entire squad were fit and raring to go in the run-in (Except for Alan Keane who played with a shoulder injury). Right now we're playing several players who are either carrying injuries or nowhere near match fit and big players are totally out of form like Jake Keegan.

Is that the squad that was on 18000 a week?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement