Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Poetry Predictions

• 06-03-2015 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

What poets do you think will most likely show up on the exam?

Please don't tick the ones you're hoping for - just the ones you think will come up.

What poets will appear on the English paper in June 2015? 186 votes

Dickinson
    0% 0 votes
    Plath
    8% 16 votes
    Ní Chuilleanáin
    1% 3 votes
    Montague
    24% 46 votes
    Yeats
    22% 41 votes
    Donne
    8% 16 votes
    Frost
    15% 28 votes
    Hardy
    19% 36 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭ChrisBarrett7

A friend made a very good point the last day; if you study the three women on the course one has to come up surely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

I think Ní Chuilleanain, Frost, Montague and somebody who came up last year either Dickinson or Yeats but I'm thinking more Yeats.
    I plan on studying Frost, Montague, Hardy, Dickinson and Plath so I should be alright...hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

I think:

John Montague
    Robert Frost
    WB Yeats
    Emily Dickinson

Everyone is saying Eilean because it's her first year in a long time on the paper, and for that reason students would be hedging their bets on her. And we know how the department likes to throw a spanner in the works regarding the paper.

But I'm not taking anything for granted with predicting poets. I had studied the 4 that came up on the Mocks but could only attempt two. I'm planning on studying the above + Eilean in good detail, hoping to do John Montague or Robert Frost. I really like WB Yeats but my teacher said the correctors mark the question harder because they expect some good historical background in the answer so I think I'll skip him. Plus his poems like Easter 1916 are very complicated (but highly enjoyable. In Memory Of Eva Gore-Booth and Con Markiewicz is one of my favourite poems).

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Codswapple

For some reason im not convinced john montague will come up. He is just a bit obvious. But i hope im wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mahmoudsaid_1

Ni chuilleanain for sure will come and maybe John montague

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

Honestly don't think Ní Chuilleanáin is coming up. I think it is waaaaaaaaaaay to obvious so she won't be up, plus she's a pain anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

OMGeary wrote: »
    Honestly don't think Ní Chuilleanáin is coming up. I think it is waaaaaaaaaaay to obvious so she won't be up, plus she's a pain anyway.

I agree, very little chance of her coming up. She's coming up a couple of times in the next few years as well, and I think it's more likely she'll appear next year.

My predictions:

Frost
    Montague
    Hardy
    Dickinson

There's a bit of a flaw in it, though, as I don't see Montague and Hardy coming up together. So potentially Yeats will appear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

If we got:

- Montague
    - Yeats
    - Dickinson
    - Frost

I'd be happy. But I don't think I'll get that lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Noire

I'd love

-Yeats
    -Dickinson/Ni chuilleanain
    -Frost
    -Hardy(?)

I'd say Yeats is very likely to come up because of his anniversary. As for the female poets, it's definitely a tie between those two. Hasn't Plath been on for the past two years already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

Tbh John Montague and Frost are both fairly straightforward poets, so I wouldn't be surprised if only one of them appeared.
    Ni Chuilleanain should appear.
    Perhaps Dickinson cause nobody's really expecting her. Some suprise of some sort. As you can see, my predicting skills are just class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 lucy17

what are the main themes in ni chuilleanain's poems ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 katiecoyne1997

Hardy should more than likely come up, He has not been on since before 2010 and he isn't on the course again until at least 2020. I would assume that he would come up because of this.
    Yeats will likely be on next year seeing as it will be the anniversary of 1916 will be next year
    Plath is unlikely

I would go with:

Hardy
    Donne
    Frost
    Dickinson/Ni chuilleanain

lucy17 wrote: »
    what are the main themes in ni chuilleanain's poems ?

I would say:
    Family
    Memories
    Death
    Nature

Noire wrote: »
    I'd love

-Yeats
    -Dickinson/Ni chuilleanain
    -Frost
    -Hardy(?)

I'd say Yeats is very likely to come up because of his anniversary. As for the female poets, it's definitely a tie between those two. Hasn't Plath been on for the past two years already?

Isn't Yeats' anniversary next year, 1916? Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Noire

Isn't Yeats' anniversary next year, 1916? Or am I missing something?

It's the 150th anniversary for his birth this year c:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Consuelano

With just a day to go, Ni Chuilleanain seems to be everyone's favourite! I wonder does that make her less likely to appear on Thursday's paper...!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Closing this as we now have a thread for all predictions and discussion.

English HL
    English OL

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement