Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Classic TT Bike importation and on the road?

• 06-03-2015 5:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone here knows if this is possible. I'm planning on purchasing a Triumph T120 TT special 1966 from the US and importing to Ireland. It wasn't road registered in the US and will only come with a bill of sale.
    So my question is if I put a headlight, brake/taillight on the bike...when having it tested for VRT could I also get it Irish road registered?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Don't think it should be an issue. Just that there will be a lot more than VRT on it, you'll have VAT and excise which is calculated on the total cost of landing it in an Irish port.

Worst part will be it'll on a 151 reg if it was never registered before and with that I think it may run into emissions laws, as there's no chance it'll meet the current levels for a 151 bike. I really hope I'm wrong, as it would be class to see it on the 151.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mellon

Hi Del,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Regarding the VAT and Excise I'd be using Rotterdam as the entry port into the EU which has a much lower percentage luckily.

I didn't even consider the reg plate being 151, so all new imported bikes are susceptible to emissions? I thought Roadworthiness Testing was Deferred until 2022....emissions (importation/registration) testing separate?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

If you have access to a mainland UK address, you'll find them a lot easier on importing/registering bikes. A letter from the Owners club verifying frame/engine numbers and date of manafacture will give you an age related plate. You may need to pass a SVA test. You can then bring it into Ireland as a classic.

Mellon wrote: »
    Hi Del,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Regarding the VAT and Excise I'd be using Rotterdam as the entry port into the EU which has a much lower percentage luckily.

I didn't even consider the reg plate being 151, so all new imported bikes are susceptible to emissions? I thought Roadworthiness Testing was Deferred until 2022....emissions (importation/registration) testing separate?

Thanks

Unless you're keeping it in Holland, which has worse VRT than us!, your going to get hit with the VAT and Excise to get it out of the Irish port or if you clear bandage in Holland you will be hit when registering here. Also since the vehicle will be technically new you could get hit with paying VAT in both countries and trying to reclaim from the Dutch.

As for emissions as I said I really hope I'm wrong but I can't see how a vehicle that doesn't comply with current emission regulations can get a brand new registration. Roadworthy testing is for vehicles on the road to register it needs type approval and I can't see a 90 year old bike meeting current type approval regulations.

If you have access to a mainland UK address, you'll find them a lot easier on importing/registering bikes. A letter from the Owners club verifying frame/engine numbers and date of manafacture will give you an age related plate. You may need to pass a SVA test. You can then bring it into Ireland as a classic.

IIRC vehicle registration regulations are standardised across the EU so it'll still get a new reg in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

Del2005 wrote: »
    IIRC vehicle registration regulations are standardised across the EU so it'll still get a new reg in the UK.
    It could be registered as a "reconstructed vehicle" see the following link
    https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/reconstructed-classic-vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mellon

Thanks guys....its not going to be as straight forward as I hoped. I do have a sister in the Isle of Man....maybe they have a similar approach to putting old bikes on the road. Will do some investigating...maybe I can tie it all together for the TT event the start of June which would be a great trip :)

Thanks again and will keep you all posted on what I ended up doing for future importers

Advertisement