Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mucilin

Options
  • 06-03-2015 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Does anybody use Mucilin silicone or Mucilin Quick Sink? I got both yesterday and I was wonder what is the proper way to apply them to flies, leaders and fly lines.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Mucilin Silicone is not needed as much now as it was back in the days of a floater being not so floaty.
    I use it on my furled leaders or if I am using a long cast then a few feet around the knot where fluro meets furled leader. Do not have it with in 2ft of the fly as it will spook fish.
    Mucilin Quick Sink I dont use but I use stuff like it, a pinch might be worth using around the fly to sink the line through the surface tension. Sometimes when using a floater but I want to go a foot down I apply quick sink to my furled leader and she sinks like a stone. Alternatively when I want to fish higher I add the silicone to it and shes back floating.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

stylie wrote: »
    Mucilin Silicone is not needed as much now as it was back in the days of a floater being not so floaty.
    I use it on my furled leaders or if I am using a long cast then a few feet around the knot where fluro meets furled leader. Do not have it with in 2ft of the fly as it will spook fish.
    Mucilin Quick Sink I dont use but I use stuff like it, a pinch might be worth using around the fly to sink the line through the surface tension. Sometimes when using a floater but I want to go a foot down I apply quick sink to my furled leader and she sinks like a stone. Alternatively when I want to fish higher I add the silicone to it and shes back floating.

Good post. I've always made my own leader/tippet sinkant (ground cat litter mixed with kids bubble mixture, ie fullers earth, washing up liquid and glycogen), stored in an old 35mm film canister. One batch lasting a very long time. I got a book recently (fishing outside the box by Peter Hayes), the author argues that we should not use sinkant at all and actually aim to have leaders/tippets floating! I've only skimmed through this chapter, but the rest of his stuff seems plausible enough....

For floatant I use nothing but Dilly Wax for fly line, furled leader and hackled flies. I've tried everything for cdc flies and have now decided nothing works! Just tie more flies and let them dry naturally.....

Advertisement