Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help!!! Confused!!! SWA and casual dockets

Options
  • 06-03-2015 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all :) This is my first post so please go easy :)
    I was on JSA from october 2014 to February 9th 2015 and got offered an apprenticeship as a Barber. I am getting paid the average starting off rate for an apprenticeship and working two 8 hour days a week and was told by my social welfare office I would be able to do casual dockets. While I was on JSA i was getting €100 a week and I am living by myself. My question is how much would I be getting off of social welfare by cheque? I get €52 per day before tax so that would be my gross wage. Sorry for the long winded post I am just super confused and need help!!! Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Your weekly wages = 104 minus 40(20 per day worked)=64 then get 60% of that =38.40 this is your means.subtract 38 40 from your current payment and that is aprox what you will get from the dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tinytot1994

Thank you mp22 :) I just received a letter in the post from the social welfare and it goes something like this:

Details of the weekly means assessment:

Average weekly Income: €52.00
    Disregard for days worked (Max.€60): €20.00
    Remaining: €32.00
    Weekly Means from Employment: €19.20 (60.00% of €32.00)
    For every day you work, your daily means are: €19.00

Sorry for sounding so dumb but what exactly does all this mean?
    I am so confused by it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

Thank you mp22 :) I just received a letter in the post from the social welfare and it goes something like this:

You said you get an average of €52 per day so that letter is wrong, they think you only get €52 per week. Is it right that you work two days at €52 each so your weekly income solely from barbering is €104?

yeah that's right tomhenryford I work two days a week at €52 a day and then my gross pay is €104 and my net pay is €98.66 from barbering. I am just really confused by it all. I am only 20 so I was getting €100 from JSA so I am just trying to work it all out but that letter has thrown me right off!

To put it as simply as possible, you can work a max of 3 days per week in order to claim casual dockets. For each day you work the social welfare will deduct €20 from you days pay. So if you earn €52 per day, they deduct €20. If you work 2 days they deduct €40 etc. They find 60% of the balance and call this your weekly means. This weekly means is deducted from your regular payment which you said was €100 p/w.

So:

If you work 2 days per week and get €52 per day, your total weekly income is €104. You work two days so the social deduct €40 leaving €64. They then calculate 60% of this leaving €38.40 as your weekly means. You normal payment was €100 so the €38 is deducted from this leaving €62. So you will get a cheque for €62.

• Advertisement

Thank you for clearing that up for me tomhenryford! So the letter they sent me is wrong they think I only work one day a week?

yeah that's right tomhenryford I work two days a week at €52 a day and then my gross pay is €104 and my net pay is €98.66 from barbering. I am just really confused by it all. I am only 20 so I was getting €100 from JSA so I am just trying to work it all out but that letter has thrown me right off!

Never-mind about tax, its irrelevant for purposes of social welfare. You need to go back to social welfare and tell me that you work 2 days at €52 a day. At the moment as per that letter they think you only work one day which is incorrect and you would be claiming more than you should be which is fraudulent in their eyes, unfortunately you can't claim ignorance with them so go back to them today if you can and say you're working 2 days at €52 a day.

I know the whole thing is headwrecking but do correct them as soon as you can.

Just to add, are your two days work set in absolute stone, there isn't a possibility that you will ever be working 3 days per week?

That is perfect thank you very much tomhenryford :) No problem I will be calling up to them today and I will explain it to them that they got it wrong thank you so much for your help! :)

Not as far as I know anyway! I am currently working tueday and wednesday but that will be changed to a friday and saturday as they are the extremely busy days in the barber shop so I will be taken off the tuesday and wednesday role and moved to a friday and saturday role instead in about 2 weeks.

• Advertisement

In a few months I might get an extra day we just have to see how busy it gets but if it will be stuck at 2 days a week I will be looking for work on my other days so I can come off the casual dockets and social welfare

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

As long as you are on this pay rate the dept will deduct €19 from your €100 payment for every day worked up to 3 days per week.more than 3 days per week and you will not get any payment from the dept for that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

You said you get an average of €52 per day so that letter is wrong, they think you only get €52 per week. Is it right that you work two days at €52 each so your weekly income solely from barbering is €104?

It's not wrong as such. The important thing is the daily means. For each day worked he will lose 19 euro. That's the correct assessment. There is no need to go back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

It's not wrong as such. The important thing is the daily means. For each day worked he will lose 19 euro. That's the correct assessment. There is no need to go back to them.

Was just about to say this ^^^
    No need to go back, they calculated your daily means so when you fill in your docket every week they'll know how many days you worked.

Advertisement