Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rid virus from Samsung rv510 laptop??

Options
  • 06-03-2015 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

I have avast antivirus on my laptop. (Samsung rv510).

I use Firefox. Another browser is opening under it so I know there is a virus on it. Has been very slow recently.

Question, what is best way to get rid of it myself and do I have to delete avast to run it?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Download Malwarebytes and it should get rid of it. Post back if you want more help as you may need to get a few more programs to remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BrowmThomas

Cheers Keano. I downloaded AVG (I think) and tried that but then internet wouldn't connect.

I started in slow mode and got to restore by a few days which started internet. Today I notice browser icon has one under it.

Will try that though and hope for the best. Is it ok to leave avast on when I download Malwarebytes? I'm not brilliant with technology!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

You shouldn't have 2 Anti virus programs on a laptop at the same time, they conflict and cause laptop to grind to a halt, use 1 and remove the other, do as Keano says also

21/25

Thanks uch.
    Excuse my stupidity but will I delete Avast and then download Malwarebytes? If so, do I leave it at Malwarebytes or do I put Avast back on?? Sorry, I'm just not clued in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Avast is an antivirus program (important) and Malwarebytes is a malware scanner (vital). Malware is basically unwanted programs on your PC - eg, unwanted toolbars in your browser, programs that change your browser launch page etc.

Download Malwarebytes and install, and on the last setup screen, disable the Premium free trial (not really needed). Then open the program, update it and run a scan.

You can run Avast and Malwarebyes on the same computer because they perform different functions. Avast and AVG should NOT be run together because they are both antivirus packages.

Hope this helps :)

• Advertisement

Perfect, thanks a million for the explanation PropJoe10.
    Will give it a try.
    Thanks for the comments, much appreciated ��

Sorry guys...I'm back!!!
    So I did what ye said and it worked :-)
    Now, when I open pages or Google something, it takes a lot longer to open the page and when the little circle (sorry can't remember name) is going around for it to load, it flashes instead of spinning and remaining on screen (if that makes sense? ).
    Still not back to how it used to be.
    Any other suggestions???

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

can you post the log from malwarebytes

Version 2.00.4.1028
    Malware Database v 2015. 03.08.04
    Root kit Database v 2015. 02.25.01
    Licence free
    Malware Protection, Malicious Website Protection and self protection say disabled.
    Threat scan completed.
    Memory, startup, files system, archived, heuristics, PUP, PM are all enabled & Root kits disabled.
    OS Windows 7 Service Pack 1.

run adwcleaner, delete what it finds, and post the log it gives

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

• Advertisement

Thanks jsa112.
    Can I leave avast and Malwarebytes on laptop and run adwcleaner at same time??

yeah you can, adwcleaner doesn't install anything

When I open it, I had downloaded it during the week and ran it - then the Internet wouldn't work.
    Previous poster said avast and AVG should not be run together.
    Sorry, I'm not good with technology!!!

the internet wouldn't work as you had 2 anti virus programs running, adwcleaner wont cause internet problems

can you attach these logs instead

AdwCleaner[R3].txt - [1465 bytes] - [08/03/2015 13:03:48]
    AdwCleaner[S2].txt - [1753 bytes] - [08/03/2015 12:57:27]

they should be in C: folder or whatever folder adwcleaner is in

has that helped at all ?

are you still having issues with the pc ?

Think that's them!!
    Yeah, it is definitely a lot better.
    Thanks SO much for your time :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

AdwCleaner v4.111 - Logfile created 08/03/2015 at 13:03:48
    # Updated 18/02/2015 by Xplode
    # Database : 2015-03-05.1 [Server]
    # Operating system : Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (x64)
    # Option : Scan

You're still using XP online? :eek:

It's better but slow to open.
    I have Facebook open and when I go to open a page on a newspaper then it's slow and the circle going around is still flashing instead of going around snow remaining on screen.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    You're still using XP online? :eek:

Not good I'm taking it??

I'm really NOT good with the tech stuff. I turn it on, I do what I need and turn it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Not good I'm taking it??

I'm really NOT good with the tech stuff. I turn it on, I do what I need and turn it off.

Not to blind you with unnecessary science, but not only are you using an unsupported operating system (Microsoft ended support for Windows XP last April) but you're running Service Pack 2 which dates back to the mid 2000s. Using the internet on that operating system certainly couldnt be classed as safe. If i were you, i certainly wouldnt be doing anything like internet banking on that computer. You would be asking for trouble!

your computer is old so there are going to be speed issues. run hijackthis, save the log and paste it here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/hijackthis/

Oh! I see!
    Thankfully I don't use Internet banking on it so!!!
    So.....what do I need to do now????

can you run hijackthis in the link above and post its log

When I try tun it, I hit repair it starts but then goes off and it comes up to hit finish to exit.
    When I exit nothing is running?

When I get into it and go to scan and save log file, it says system denied write access to the Hosts file.
    Have to edit file myself.

can you do this instead

Download OTL to your Desktop
    • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
    • Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings. The scan wont take long.
    • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
    • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files here

Just hit quick scan.

Do you mind if I private message it jsa112?

• Advertisement
Advertisement