Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolatey

Options
  • 06-03-2015 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

I am surprised that so few IT folks I deal with use or know about 'chocolatey' which is a free, open source, enterprise ready and may be the greatest app ever for Windows! If you are a linux user it is more of less the windows equivalent of 'apt-get' and from very simple command lines install all sorts of commonly used software on your machine.

example to install Chrome you just run

choco install googlechrome

for Adobe reader

choco install adobereader

and that's it!

For new PC builds you can just add all the packages you want into a batch file and let run and all your favourite apps, utilities and tools will be silently installed.

Anyway - I hope I made someones day as I know the day someone showed me Chocolatey was an IT revelation to me!

see https://chocolatey.org

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I just use Ninite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Skerries wrote: »
    I just use Ninite

Yeah, far handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Skerries wrote: »
    I just use Ninite

the key difference is that you need to pay for Ninite if you want to do any automation and scripted unattended installs. Chocolatly is free for the cli, has 600x more packages and you can upload your own packages as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

BailMeOut wrote: »
    the key difference is that you need to pay for Ninite if you want to do any automation and scripted unattended installs. Chocolatly is free for the cli, has 600x more packages and you can upload your own packages as well.

so - these are programs that are uploaded to the site ?

who checks this stuff :
    and you can upload your own packages as well.

for malicious code

you'd be wanting defenestration for bringing something like that near an enterprise

Advertisement