Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bench grinder

Options
  • 06-03-2015 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Hi,

Going to purchase a bench grinder for sharpening turning chisels, in the next week or so. I know this has been asked a lot but would appreciate any input.

Going to get an 8". The slow speed Axminster is near €200. A regular speed is nearer €100.

Is the slow speed essential? Will I be forever giving out to myself for buying a full speed (3,000rpm) one if I do?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

The slow speed will prevent your tools from overheating and losing their temper at the tip of the tool. I have that grinder and find it excellent. I use CBN wheels on mine with the Oneway Wolverine Sharpening System and can't fault it at all. If you do get it and are looking for the same system above send me a PM and I'll let you try out mine first.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, slow speed is important, and I'd say a large wheel, say 8" too to avoid having too much "hollow grind" on your tools.

If you're feeling flush take a look at Creusen grinders, they're the mutt's nuts but very expensive.

I had the Creusen 6" grinder and although it is slow it definitely left the bevels quite hollow. 8" wheels are the way to go. You can get good wheels from The Toolpost in the UK and save your pennies for CBN wheels. They never need to be dressed to keep them flat and will never get smaller like stone wheels do.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I had the 8" slow Creusen, and it was great. I traded it in for a Sorby Pro-Edge though.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Thanks for all the replies lads. That fairly confirms it. I'll go for the slow speed so. Was gonna go 8" anyway but thought I might get away with the regular speed one.
    Ronaynes thurles having a turning open day in 5 weeks time so might hold off in the hope they knock a few pound off it for that day :)

• Advertisement

Picked up an Axminster this evening for good money. Made an imitation wolverine jig aswell. Happy out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where did you get it?

where did you get it?

Ronaynes in thurles. They have a SERIOUS new place put in. Having an opening day in a months time for. Your man showed me round it today, something like 12 lathes and 8 bandsaws set up in demo mode.
    The grinder I got was a return and the last one he had so he gave me 35% off for, I was happy enough once I saw it going.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyone any thoughts on this? for sharpening woodturning tools.

http://www.mcquillantools.ie/scheppach-nsm200-wet-stone-grinder/

High quality grinding stone is suitable for HSS tools
    K220 Grit stone for super fine sharpening
    Adjustable tool rest
    Grinding stone size: 200 x 40 mm
    Removable leather honing wheel: 200 x 30 mm
    Dimensions: L 360 x W 285 x H 275 mm
    No Load Speed: 120/Min
    Weight: 12Kg
    Comes with:
    2 Jigs
    Angle Guide

anyone any thoughts on this? for sharpening woodturning tools.

http://www.mcquillantools.ie/scheppach-nsm200-wet-stone-grinder/

High quality grinding stone is suitable for HSS tools
    K220 Grit stone for super fine sharpening
    Adjustable tool rest
    Grinding stone size: 200 x 40 mm
    Removable leather honing wheel: 200 x 30 mm
    Dimensions: L 360 x W 285 x H 275 mm
    No Load Speed: 120/Min
    Weight: 12Kg
    Comes with:
    2 Jigs
    Angle Guide

It won't come with the jigs for turning tools but I believe the Tormek jigs will work with that grinder.

• Advertisement

What's the rpm? If it's slow speed it looks a good job

120 rpm, as far as I can see.

Advertisement