Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Now Shills For Paddy Power

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

LorMal wrote: »
    Very generous of Paddy Power there. Wonder why they do that???

They dont, never heard of such a agreement in affiliate marketing, in fact if the customer wins you dont get any commission until they have a net loss.
    You can dress it any way you like but it is profiting in other peoples misery.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Well, they're profiting from my fun so fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

JONJO, let me understand this properly. You think one thing (Boards only makes money if the people lose) and Dav stated another thing (Boards makes money if the people win).

But after you quote the message you want him to prove it, then go on to not even give him a chance and state it's a "fact" that the more people lose, the more Boards wins.

You're coming across as you having a personal issue with PP here. I get that like many other gambling sites, if you win a lot, your account is closed and I've heard some horror stories of winnings not being paid on to online accounts but would you not bother waiting for Dav to show his proof (assuming he has any; I'm not saying he's right or you're right here) instead of acting like he's lying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

They dont, never heard of such a agreement in affiliate marketing, in fact if the customer wins you dont get any commission until they have a net loss.
    You can dress it any way you like but it is profiting in other peoples misery.

I beieve Dav is telling the truth. I imagine the reason PP pay a % of the first bet and a % of the winnings of a first bet is twofold:

1. They know that once someone opens an account with them they are more likely to bet again
    2. Not many bets are winning bets

In the long run, PP only make money of peoples losses. They can only pay for Affiliates with money from peoples losses. Its all the same in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Wow.

I mean wow.

I tell you what the story is, you insist that just because you personally have never run into a deal like this, it mustn't be true? Well, it takes a special kind of logic to come to those sorts of conclusions.

We're done.

Jonjo, the next time you want to accuse me of being a liar, step away from the keyboard and take a deep breath and then move on to something else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Boards.ie: Sean

So, we here in Boards.ie, need to make a clarification and an apology to this thread and to our members in general. There were some crossed wires in the office last Friday when we were discussing this topic (something we do regularly when our members raise questions about how we run the site). It was communicated to Dav that we get paid a commission when Boardsies, who are new sign ups to Paddy Power, place a winning bet. This is incorrect, we actually get paid a commission on any earnings Paddy Power generate from users of their site, i.e. when the person places a losing bet.

So firstly, sorry to everyone for the incorrect information, it was a mix up in communication rather then intentional (hence this post clarifying things). And apologies in particular to Jonjo (you were right about the payment structure) and to Dav (who is a completely innocent party in all of this).

On the broader issue of promoting Paddy Power on Boards, I would make the point that we have always had gambling ads running on the site and in that sense this is nothing new. The one difference is that we also included a sponsored thread in this case, mainly driven by the fact that we want to let Broadsies know if there's any special offers that are only available to them. As a general principle we like to highlight to our members any special offers and we'd take exactly the same approach for any other offers that may come along ... this is not unique to Paddy Power or specific to gambling.

Lastly, we fully appreciate that some of our members may disagree with our approach, particularly around areas such as gambling, while others agree. We welcome the discussion and debate as these things do actually influence our own thinking and decisions around things such as advertising and promotion.

Thanks and sorry again for the mix-up,
    Sean Coughlan
    CEO, Boards.ie

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement