Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petty Things Banned From The Workplace

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

An office full of adults and we had certain words and phrases banned to protect the delicate sentiments of a few precious busy bodies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I work in Corperate America. The pay is great but ironically, the freedom is lacking.

On casual Fridays, I can't wear any shirt, sweater or jacket with any company logos, pictures of any kind or text. So, basically, only wear a plain shirt. Also must be a shirt and not a T-shirt...

There's random drug tests, they can test for anything, including alcohol. So, you shouldn't risk coming in from a heavy night the next day. Which is actually fair enough but it's a lack of trust in the employees

Cursing. I have received two warnings for cursing

At one point, a work colleague who had cancer was on a game show called The Price is Right. They did some special week long edition for cancer survivors. She won a car and some money on the show, people she worked with wanted to arrange to watch it in the canteen as it airs on weekday mornings. It turned out, that channel which I think was CBS was banned from the tv in the cafeteria after somebody complained about something they saw on it!

Phones were banned in an Irish and American place that I worked. The thing is, they gave us such crappy machines that sometimes, down time was inevitable.

I interviewed for a job in the middle east. I was told you could not disagree with people in meetings because you would upset them.

Some lady made complained about food being eatin' at people desks. People who work in the same job as her, in which it's possible to not get enough time to go take a lunch break. She won and the boss our department banned us from eating out our desks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

fenris wrote: »
    Flip flops, mini skirts and leaving stuff on the printer, last one apparently can result in termination!

I agree with this one, for the noise from them alone.

I don't know how people can stick working in some places with the strict rules. There are no stupid rules at all where I work (bar the fairly recent ban on drinking on site). Do as you please with regards to mobiles, headphones, clothes you wear, take breaks when you want, start and finish work when you want (within reason and once you get the work done) etc etc.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    including alcohol. So, you shouldn't risk coming in from a heavy night the next day.

I wouldn't last long in job with that rule :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Three radios in the one office would be bloody annoying!

I don't mind the radio on in our office so long as its not on loud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Slideways

Everyone gets breathalysed everyday.

Blow anything other than 0.00 and your offski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Things I wish were banned from the workplace

• People who eat at their desk
    • People who eat WITH THEIR MOUTH OPEN at their desk
    • People who need to Sllllllurrrrp their tea/coffee at their desk
    • People who hum or sing at their desk
    • People who play the radio or music at their desk (headphones are fine though)
    • People who smell strongly enough that I can smell them after they've left the room.
    • People whose job consists solely of scheduling meetings, documenting meetings, and scheduling future meetings.
    (I'm not really a people person)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Slideways wrote: »
    Everyone gets breathalysed everyday.

Blow anything other than 0.00 and your offski

What industry? Pilot?

Supposed you need to be careful when using mouthwash so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    ...Food and bribery. That's all.

Awww, it's always the good stuff. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MsBubbles

Worked in an office where the one of the accounts girls wore tracksuits and another wore leggings that you could see her thong through.
    My Colleague got remanded by their manger for wearing a top with pink in it, we supposed to wear black/white.
    But it was ok for his staff member to stroll around the office with her arse on show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

Microwaves :( we aren't allowed have one for Health and Safety reasons. It would make lunchtime a lot easier and give me more choice, 4 days out if of 5 it's feckin salad for me.

I could be wrong on this* but companies are obliged to provide a means for having a warm meal for your lunch, so if there is no microwave, then is there anything else?

* might not be applicable if near to a deli/cafe.

Common sense seems to be banned from my workplace. Having 10 highly experienced & expensive staff sitting around doing nothing all day for 6 months seems to be a perfectly acceptable use of our time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Common sense seems to be banned from my workplace. Having 10 highly experienced & expensive staff sitting around doing nothing all day for 6 months seems to be a perfectly acceptable use of our time.

You work in the public sector then? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

At a place I worked a good few years back, upstairs decided to flex their "boss muscles" and ban phones on the workshop floor. This didn't happen because we spent an hour on face book or what have you- actually they were hardly used to begin with. It happened because a snivelling little lickarse in parts/floor management was told to f*ck off when he raised his voice at a mechanic who was answering an important call from his daughter. Rather than get another Mechanic to (as it turned out) change a customers wipers, he made a massive deal about it.

So phones were banned, owing to the stories he likely told and work carried on exactly as before. The floor was mainly older fellas so phone usage was almost non existent amyway.

Except upstairs started calling us on private numbers to see if we'd answer and dock us wages for the privilege... This lead to an older mechanic tearing up the stairs and challenging both bosses on the grounds of who exactly was pissing time away on phones calling everyone on private numbers.

One place I certainly won't miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Your Superior

I banned the Daily Mail and Daily Express from our offices a few years ago, and their websites too. The only people that seemed to use them were a couple of middle aged women in the support department, but the team got sick of hearing them spout racist and sensationalist drivel and celebrity gossip all day. So I banned them, after doing a staff vote on the matter. Talksport radio is banned too, just because it's rubbish and the presenters are appalling, with the exception of Colin Murray.

cloud493 wrote: »
    You work in the public sector then? :pac:

Afraid not, at least the public sector might find busy work for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I banned the Daily Mail and Daily Express from our offices a few years ago, and their websites too. The only people that seemed to use them were a couple of middle aged women in the support department, but the team got sick of hearing them spout racist and sensationalist drivel and celebrity gossip all day. So I banned them, after doing a staff vote on the matter. Talksport radio is banned too, just because it's rubbish and the presenters are appalling, with the exception of Colin Murray.

I was with you, almost, until the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

No fornication with the customers. Fúcking worst crèche I ever worked in:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

paulbok wrote: »
    I could be wrong on this* but companies are obliged to provide a means for having a warm meal for your lunch, so if there is no microwave, then is there anything else?

* might not be applicable if near to a deli/cafe.

There's a toaster, which is in bits and can only toast sandwich pan (no brown bread or bagels allowed because it's an old toaster and they might get stuck). There's also a canteen, and the food is admittedly delicious and good value, but if you ate there every day you'd be broke and the size of a house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Slideways

Another utterly stupid one they have banned is carabiners for keys.

You know the small ones you use when you have a handful of keys you need on your person that you cannot lose?

They banned them because they are not rated for climbing and someone might use one by accident.

1) there is no climbing walls in work
    2) going over 2m height requires a permit
    3) who the feck would use a carabiner that flimsy??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Slideways wrote: »
    Another utterly stupid one they have banned is carabiners for keys.

You know the small ones you use when you have a handful of keys you need on your person that you cannot lose?

They banned them because they are not rated for climbing and someone might use one by accident.

1) there is no climbing walls in work
    2) going over 2m height requires a permit
    3) who the feck would use a carabiner that flimsy??

I would be sure that there is a story behind that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

When I got a promotion to sales manager, I banned microwave popcorn in the company break room. Far too many people just left it in too long, or would wander off, so it burnt. The Godawful smell would linger in the air for ages afterwards. It was an open plan office, the break room was in the middle of it & had no doors, so the smell of the burned popcorn would make ya gag, even if you were on the other side of the office. The office had sealed windows, so we couldn't even open them to let the smell out. T'was terrible. :mad:

I got called a Nazi, power hungry, too fussy etc etc (usually by the people who didn't work on our floor and therefore didn't have the suffer thru the awful smell while they worked) but I didn't care. :D

Advertisement