Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rear mech woes

• 06-03-2015 2:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

So last night I decided to fit the rear mech I got on here.
    So I set the limits and adjusted the third screw to take my 11-28 cassette.
    The problem I'm having now is when I shift it up to the 23 25 or 28 sprocket while in the big ring, the chain is coming off the bottom jockey wheel on the mech. It doesn't happen when in the small ring tho.
    I'm wondering if it's a chain tension thing and I need to add a few more links?
    Any help would appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭Seweryn

dvntie wrote: »
    So last night I decided to fit the rear mech I got on here.
    So I set the limits and adjusted the third screw to take my 11-28 cassette.
    The problem I'm having now is when I shift it up to the 23 25 or 28 sprocket while in the big ring, the chain is coming off the bottom jockey wheel on the mech. It doesn't happen when in the small ring tho.
    I'm wondering if it's a chain tension thing and I need to add a few more links?
    Any help would appreciated
    Firstly, why would you shift to the cog 1-3 when you are on the big ring? That is something to be avoided and unnecessary. For lower gears that's what the small chainring is for.

But what do you mean by chain coming off the bottom jockey wheel? I have never experienced this.

Is your chain not worn out and has the properly adjusted length?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

Seweryn wrote: »
    Firstly, why would you shift to the cog 1-3 when you are on the big ring? That is something to be avoided and unnecessary. For lower gears that's what the small chainring is for.

But what do you mean by chain coming off the bottom jockey wheel? I have never experienced this.

Is your chain not worn out and has the properly adjusted length?

Generally I tend not to but chain is new as is the cassette.
    I think the cage lengths between the old and new mechs are different too. From the pic below it looks like the chain is under pressure alright but I have spare links

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

from that picture your chain is too short to be runnng that gear combo.

bcmf wrote: »

That's what I was thinking alright
    I had on a rival mech abd changes to force it looks like the force cage is 1 cm longer. I'll add 1 link and see how that goes
    Cheers

bcmf wrote: »

Two links added and problem solved. Got me round the midleton 200 audax today.
    I love it when a plan comes together

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

your welcome :D

Advertisement