Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheelie pannier?

• 06-03-2015 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

Is there such a thing as a pannier or basket with wheels, like those little wheelie cases you take on planes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Topeak do a pannier tote box with wheels if you have a google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I do not. I mean a pannier you can stick your laptop in and cycle to the train station, and at the other end wheel it along to the bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

They don't seem to exist, though there are lots of pannier/backpack combos. I presume this is because the mfrs reckon anyone physically capable of cycling is also capable of carrying a bag.

• Advertisement

Not really, SomeFool; still, that makes a second - the other one I've seen is by a company called Detours

http://www.fishpond.co.in/9999008773876

but it's also a bit big and chunky. Hmm. Pity those child wheelies they sell in Ikea don't have pannier hooks on them, they seem a bit smaller.

They may be right about cycling strength and bag-carrying strength, but the last time I went to Cork nearly kilt me - the cycle to the station was fine, but horsing the laptop (light and all as it is) around Cork and up and down its hills was awful, especially after i got lured into the English Market and added some cakes, etc.

In fact, that point reminds me of my mother's story of saving a drowning sailor in the Grand Canal in the 1920s; she was a kid of six or so, but as she said, he was floating so there was no weight to him. Same deal when you're cycling, you're pushing rolling weight, unless the wind or the hills are against you, and the weight makes little differ.

You could sign up for the cork bikes ans use the basket on them? Grand gearing on them too.

You could sign up for the cork bikes ans use the basket on them? Grand gearing on them too.

I could. But what about when I'm in Wexford or Donegal or Moneygall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You could simply get a normal bag with wheels and fix it to a carrier.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    You could simply get a normal bag with wheels and fix it to a carrier.

I'm sorta kinda thinking of that at the moment, but I'm a bit nervous of trusting my precious laptop to such an arrangement.

I don't really know why you need this.

Is the laptop that heavy it needs to be wheeled.

I don't really know why you need this.

Is the laptop that heavy it needs to be wheeled.

Surprisingly, yes, if you're walking around towns, and if you're decrepit like me.

I hear yah.

You can get some small wheelie bags. Maybe a smaller laptop, would be easier to fit on a rack. Maybe even a shopper bike that has more cargo space.

I hear yah.

You can get some small wheelie bags. Maybe a smaller laptop, would be easier to fit on a rack. Maybe even a shopper bike that has more cargo space.

The problem isn't fitting it on a rack. The problem is if I want to get off the train at the far end and walk - for example, from the train station to a museum or university. That's when it gets too heavy for me, if I'm walking far. That's when I need wheels.

I meant finding a rack that will hold/take a normal wheeled bag. Neatly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Jansport bags have a lifetime guarantee, (I tested it when the zip went on my 15 year old one, they replaced it free of charge) maybe a wheelie one of these strapped with bungee's to the rack on the back of your bike?

http://www.jansport.com/shop/en/jansport-us/bags/wheeled-bags

I regularly bungee my normal Jansport backpacks to my pannier with bungees. The wheelie one's have a more solid spine so your laptop shouldn't get squished.

I feel your pain re carrying around the laptop. Mine really weighs me down too, I wouldn't carry it around al day. When ever I get to upgrade it I'm getting an Air!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

If it's not a trailer you're after then perhaps get an iPad, a lot lighter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

gadetra wrote: »
    Jansport bags have a lifetime guarantee, (I tested it when the zip went on my 15 year old one, they replaced it free of charge) maybe a wheelie one of these strapped with bungee's to the rack on the back of your bike?

http://www.jansport.com/shop/en/jansport-us/bags/wheeled-bags

By the look of them, you could use the shoulder straps to hang the bag pannier style without having to add modifications.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

cdaly_ wrote: »
    By the look of them, you could use the shoulder straps to hang the bag pannier style without having to add modifications.

I have tried that but the bits at the end of the length adjusted always work free into spokes :eek: mine are regular backpacks though, the wheelie ones might be more stable with a stiffer spine so yeah, you're right, insta-pannier!

I do link the straps over the saddle around the seaport, that way it can't just pop off...my laptop has bounced off the back into the n11 :eek: (and survived. Thank you shock absorbing neoprene case!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

How about something like this http://tinyurl.com/ozjpuyy ?

Looks good, Blobbie - a bit heavy at 1.7kg (3lb in old money?) but might just do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Alternatively, if you're any way handy with a drill/awl/allen keys, you could wait until Aldi/Lidl sell Panniers again. Take them apart and remount onto a wheelie bag.

Or go completely DIY... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krgXlYxovic

It doesn't look that hard.

Looks good, Blobbie - a bit heavy at 1.7kg (3lb in old money?) but might just do the job.

I think the 1.7kg is the "boxed" weight and the actual kart weight is 1kg (bag of sugar-ish).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

What about a Cordo trolley bag.
    Available from Planet X
    rsz_crdtrolley400.jpgrsz_crdtrolley2600.jpg

Looks like the job

Cordo looks like the job, though the Planet X version doesn't seem to mention a rigid handle?
    blobbie wrote: »
    I think the 1.7kg is the "boxed" weight and the actual kart weight is 1kg (bag of sugar-ish).

Ah, bag-a-siuicre sounds ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Cordo looks like the job, though the Planet X version doesn't seem to mention a rigid handle?

I was wondering why PX were calling it a trolley bag and with the lack of details on the site I went looking for the Cordo site for more details.
    If it looks like it suits your needs give PX a shout and ask for confirmation on the handle.

I was wondering why PX were calling it a trolley bag and with the lack of details on the site I went looking for the Cordo site for more details.
    If it looks like it suits your needs give PX a shout and ask for confirmation on the handle.

Thanks - but I think Blobby's trolley is my answer - I can put that in my ordinary pannier with the other stuff in it, and then take it out and unfold it to wheel the pannier along.

• Advertisement
Advertisement