Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York- bars, nightlife

Options
  • 06-03-2015 5:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hey all,
    Going to New York in a few weeks- what bars, clubs, should I definitely check out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Neighbourhood bars, local dive bars to hang out with the locals. Check out the east village if you get the opportunity.

Keep away from the oirish bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

It really depends what you're into. Are you into alternative music? Underground rave/dance clubs? Commercial dance music? Live gigs, etc? The scene here is very fragmented. I used to live in the East Village and it used to be great but it's a thronged meat market of college kids and drunken jersey tourists at the weekends these days, as is the Lower East Side to a great degree.

Most of the authentic locals nightlife scene has now moved to Brooklyn neighborhoods such as Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Bushwick, etc. On the other hand if you're visiting nyc because you loved Sex and the City then the lounges and commercial "clubs" in the Meatpacking district off West 14th St will be more your scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 NYC2013

Greenwich Village around Bleeker/MacDougal street is a good spot, I'd avoid Midtown, its all either overpriced tourist traps or else after work places

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Brass Monkey in the Meatpacking district is a cool bar/club with a roof terrace too.
    Down the Hatch in the West Village.
    If in Midtown, I always liked the Oldcastle bar and Jack Dempseys - Bobby the barman is some character.
    Also the 11th street bar in the East Village.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭walkingshadow

Thanks for the recommendations guys- I guess what I'm looking for is twofold. I'm heading with the parents (60s) so I'd like some bars that could cater for us all. That being said, I'd also like to wander around and see some younger places (Im in mid twenties) too- I guess its hard to explain but I'm sure everyone knows a good bar when they've been to one! Any good food places too?

• Advertisement

Bring your parents to the West Village, it's relaxed, pretty and quintessentially New York. Bring them to the areas west of 7th Avenue and south of 14th St, lots of lovely restaurants, bars, etc. The Spotted Pig is one obvious example if you want to splurge a bit on a gastropub dinner. For yourself I'd recommend Williamsburg around the Bedford Avenue Stop. It's hipster central for better or worse. Wouldn't recommend the area around Bleecker/McDougal, it's touristy and student dive bars but without much character.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭walkingshadow

Thanks guys, really appreciating the advice- its hard to strike a balance between satisfying the folks and then myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Try the Standard Hotel. Go saturday afternoon and just stay as later on you need to have your name at the door to gain entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Falcon.ie

My personal favorite is Berry Park off the G train. Decent pricing on Beer for new york, It's in Williamsburg so you'll get a great view of Manhattan across the East river. Or even the Juliette which is also is Williamsburg is a really nice rooftop wine bar.

Manhattan Rooftop bars for the most part are horribly overpriced (think 8-10 dollars for a Coors lite...) And mostly located in and around Midtown.

If you want Empire state views go to the Spyglass Rooftop Bar, 22 stories up with great veiws (Steep pricing..)

Or after work we also occasionally hit up the Skylark on 39th. They have solid food options (Think Mac & Cheese etc) And again Views of downton and the Empire state. And it's right off the Times Sq. Subway stop which is great for getting home.

But I definitely incourage going outside of the bubble that is Manhattan for alot of tourists. So much to do and see!! Any questions just ask!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭castlebarian

Hi sorry for bringing up old thread.

I am going to new york end of may will be staying 3 nights . Have hotel pre booked on booking.com not paid yet just is a bit pricey after taxes and charge is around 980 for 3 nights (MON,TUE,WED) its in times square . Can anyone recommend some good hotels/motels/hostels at a reasonable price in the Queens/Manhattan area ( Will be visiting friends and plan on a night out in Manhattan / village area aswel) wont be fussy about travelling 15/20 mins subway to Manhattan or visa versa .

Looking at a few in long island city working out at about 500 for 3 nights. whats it like as a area and convenience for Queens/Manhattan

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

Ive just checked it out and unfortunately its booked out on the dates im in new york looks like a great hotel aswel.

Thanks

Honestly, Long Island City is a bit grim. It's not horrible but it's not somewhere I would be staying if only visiting NYC for a few days. There are some decent bars and restaurants there but the overall architecture is kind of ugly and it has little in the way of amenities or atmosphere.

Why not use airbnb instead? You can get an entire apartment in a nice neighborhood downtown for less than $200 per night. I live here and it's what I recommend to friends/family when they visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Ugh, staying in Jersey makes zero sense. The Path runs every 35 minutes after midnight, between catching the PATH and your subway to it, you could easily be looking at 1.5 hours to get home. That's provided the train isn't out for line service, which happens late at night all the time. Then you're looking at at a $60 cab ride. I honestly don't see the point of flying across the Atlantic to visit NYC and then staying in charmless places like LIC or Jersey City. It would be like Americans visiting Ireland to see Dublin for a few days and staying in Naas.

Thanks for both replys

Ive two hotels considered in queens the reason for queens is we will be visiting people and flying out of lagaurdia in the early hours of the morning so jersey city might not be our beat option . Both hotels after taxs are working out at about 540 for 3 nights

La quinta is one (3 blocks it says )

Ramada is the other. (8 min walk to subway it says )

Anyone know anything about either both have ok reviews.

Advertisement