Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accent in Irish?

• 06-03-2015 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi I was wondering if anyone could advise me as to how to improve my accent when speaking Irish. I'm an A student, and would consider myself nearly fluent if it wasn't for my accent. It just doesn't sound like a Gaeilgeoir when I speak (I live in Dublin) - for example, i cannot do the guttural 'ach' sounds. Is there any way to inprove this? or is it something that can't be taught? I already listen to and watch a lot of things as Gaeilge so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Gryffindor

Ah the elusive 'blas'. Watching things as Gaeilge would have been my first suggestion, but you say that hasn't really helped. I would say just be wary if you're watching things on TG4 to make sure you are actually listening and not letting yourself read the subtitles!

In my own experience it was purely myself that was holding back the accent. I lived in Corca Dhuibhne when I was younger so I knew what I was supposed to sound like I just couldn't do it. In reality, it is highly unlikely that you cannot actually produce the 'ach' sound, you are probably just very concious of doing it. I know I instinctively tone down the accent when I read the 'ach anois luím síos' in Géibheann in class. Practise, practise in the mirror and to yourself is the best advice I can give, and eventually it will begin to flow more naturally.

I might add (although this is extremely subjective as I'm from there) that the Munster Irish is by far easiest for a non Gaeilgeoir to pick up and imitate so maybe try focusing in on that rather than tackling the Donegal pronunciation. The really thick accents almost sound like yodelling to me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭djerk

I imagine it's something that will come with practice and more confidence in speaking the language. Gaeilgeoirs don't usually speak in a literal text book way.. it has a more natural flow to it using short hand words and phrases that you can only learn from being exposed to it, like any language really. As gryffindor pointed out, it might help you to focus on a specific accent as they are not all the same, perhaps you already spent time in a gaeltacht area? That would be a good place to start as you might already be used to the tonality and isms. Obviously, hanging out and speaking with people who actually speak irish fluently will help develop your ear and voice the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

If you're fluent you're fluent. Connemara people might think you're butchering their language but to be honest the Donegallians have been doing it for years without repercussions.

Most likely the oral examiner will be from your province as well. The only way you could get marked down is not pronouncing sheimhiús or urús, but unless you're inventing pronunciations you shouldn't be overly penalised.

Advertisement