Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Irish accent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

OMG. I just love my Irish accent. OMG it is just totes amazing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭pillphil

However as soon as the word 'Ye' is used in a sentence, a sexy accent is forgotten and you are no longer desirable.
    McGaggs wrote: »
    As soon is I hear 'ye' I stop listening because I'm too busy thinking how bad the speaker sounds.

Really? Why? Is yous any better?
    The English language could use separate second person singular and plural pronouns.
    Would you(second person plural) prefer a return to thou?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

Do you think "bogger" if they are from Dublin.
    absolutely, Dubs are the worst for pronouncing "th"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

It's done alright for me here. It's seen as a quirk by a lot of Canadians I've met.

Having said that, I have a very neutral Dublin accent. I'm from Swords and a lot of Irish I've met have been surprised I'm a Northsider. And no, I don't have a D4/Posh accent at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Chijj

Obvious troll is obvious but how can a Dublin accent make you think bogger ?

It makes me wonder about someone who feels the need to change their accent to fit in, will your intellect not suffice for you to succeed in London?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

heldel00 wrote: »
    Argos Von Skidmark
    :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Never knew people take issue with 'ye'. I use it all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

Chijj wrote: »
    Obvious troll is obvious but how can a Dublin accent make you think bogger ?

It makes me wonder about someone who feels the need to change their accent to fit in, will your intellect not suffice for you to succeed in London?
    is Dublin not in Ireland? As I said before, the Dubs are one of the worst culprits for their inability to pronounce "th" always comes across as "de"

There is no need to get so defensive, once you are away and see a bit of the world, you get a better perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Chijj

is Dublin not in Ireland? As I said before, the Dubs are one of the worst culprits for their inability to pronounce "th" always comes across as "de"

There is no need to get so defensive, once you are away and see a bit of the world, you get a better perspective

A bogger is somebody who eats soda farls and has muck under their nails.

Your so adventurous going all the way to England, how do you cope with the cultural differences ?

By assimilating that you lose any shred of the previous you ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Chijj wrote: »
    A bogger is somebody who eats soda farls and has muck under their nails.

Your so adventurous going all the way to England, how do you cope with the cultural differences ?

By assimilating that you lose any shred of the previous you ?

What is a soda farl? a scone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

What is a soda farl? a scone?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I had to put on a Yank accent to order McDonalds in Vegas once. The girl serving looked Mexican so I thought I'd avoid confusion and ask for a number 5 (McChicken Sandwich meal). I asked for a "foive". She hadn't a clue what I was saying. A long slow Faaaaive did the job. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

The Clare accent is nearly exactly the same as the Galway accent! Like the west Ireland accents as well partly due to being from the west. Some people though who don't pronounce the TH do not come across well. Like the Northern Irish accent though. And hey, the Polish accent is nice! I can't believe though they only have one accent in a country that's so big, weird isn't it?

London. At 17. English girls. They loved the accent.

Ah what a week

Late December back in 63....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac:

Can't claim it I'm afraid Mesrine65. Saw the name on another forum. Brilliant though isn't it?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

I find the Irish accent very annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

pillphil wrote: »
    Really? Why? Is yous any better?
    The English language could use separate second person singular and plural pronouns.
    Would you(second person plural) prefer a return to thou?

Yes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭happy_knome

The Galway accent is the boggiest of bogger accents.

no its not , nor are any western of munster accents

the bogger accent capital is louth and south monaghan ( ardee , carrickmacross direction ) , followed by meath and then the midlands

ive always found the kerry accent very soft myself , a kerry person could be beating you to death with a baseball bat but as long as they kept speaking , you wouldnt feel it , where as someone from northern ireland sounds intimidating even they are offering you a cup of tea

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭happy_knome

Irish accents can be soft or harsh regardless of region. Soft is nearly always pleasant except Cavan. Harsh not so pleasant.

the cavan accent isnt soft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭pillphil

McGaggs wrote: »
    Yes

Which question are you answering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

A strong midlands accents is horrible...and that includes the good people of Tipp as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

the black Irish of the Caribbean island of Montserrat, you have to go in about 1 minute of the clip to hear the accent. Same idea as Newfoundland..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

the black Irish of the Caribbean island of Montserrat, you have to go in about 1 minute of the clip to hear the accent. Same idea as Newfoundland..

I somehow watched that doc on tg4 before. It's mental how they have kept the accent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

not to mention the fact Irish cannot speak properly when pronouncing "th" etc

Speak for yourself. Some of us didn't have to work hard to pronounce things right. ;)
    once you are away and see a bit of the world, you get a better perspective

:pac::pac::pac::D:D:D

The UK?

:pac::pac::pac::pac::D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

ive always found the kerry accent very soft myself , a kerry person could be beating you to death with a baseball bat but as long as they kept speaking , you wouldnt feel it , where as someone from northern ireland sounds intimidating even they are offering you a cup of tea

Dad from Tipp, ma from west Limerick, I was raised in Kerry. Guilty of the "turty tree and a turd" which is even funnier now as I teach English in Poland, my English boss is going spare with the amount of students mimicking me.

The Kerry accent is an interesting meld, the southerners sounding like their brethren in west Cork and the northerners like their cousins across the border in Limerick county. The softness always soothes me.

I can't tell Leinster accents apart except Midlands vs Dublin (Posh/Northsider). Connacht as well is hard for me to distinguish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I avoid Irish people here in the UK, for the most part the accent sounds very uneducated and guttural, not to mention the fact Irish cannot speak properly when pronouncing "th" etc etc

I've worked hard on my pronunciation since I came here and am now a lot more eloquent, so English people can actually understand me without them having to repeat myself all the time like a lot of Irish people

La dee fckin da

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

elefant wrote: »
    Never knew people take issue with 'ye'. I use it all the time.

Me too, love it. Like said, the English language is currently lacking a second person plural pronoun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I went on an oliday to the U.K once. My at blew off my edd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I remember the day I moved into student accommodation, of the guys from across the corridor came over to say hello, strongest clare accent I had ever heard, I wasn't even aware Clare had an "accent". I was nodding along and eventually after a few weeks I tuned my ears to it.

Ah well I searched frantically and FIFA 07 was a lifesaver for that first meeting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I speak with a strong north inner city Dublin accent, it generally goes down well with the fairer sex when abroad,occasionally someone might ask me to slow down.But in Ireland, even in certain parts of dubin my accent seems to make people kinda wary of me,bleedin poxbottles :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Both a soft Dublin accent and a soft Norn Iron accent are very sexy.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/colin-farrell-helps-irish-beat-french-for-sexiest-accent-in-the-world-68840277-237766571.html
    It's official! Thanks in no small part to Colin Farrell, the Irish accent is now the sexiest in the world.

The survey, which polled 5,000 women from around the world, revealed that Ireland is now tops for sexiest accent, beating out Italy and Scotland for the top spot.

Ireland has been in or around the top spot for five years but this is the first win for the Emerald Isle.

England was sixth (haha!) and Sweden was seventh, with Spain Wales and America completing the top 10.

I have to say, this hasn't been my experience, but maybe it's because I don't have Colin Farrell's Dublin accent or bad-boy charm. I did once charm a very obese, possibly female, traffic-warden out of a parking ticket :cool:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Me too, love it. Like said, the English language is currently lacking a second person plural pronoun.

Well I suppose 'you all' would cover that which became y'all in the southern parts of the United States. Also, there is nothing wrong with saying ye, ye is great! West Ireland power!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

I avoid Irish people here in the UK, for the most part the accent sounds very uneducated and guttural, not to mention the fact Irish cannot speak properly when pronouncing "th" etc etc

I've worked hard on my pronunciation since I came here and am now a lot more eloquent, so English people can actually understand me without them having to repeat myself all the time like a lot of Irish people

Nofink wrong with da Oirish accent chuck. Summink to be proud of babes, innit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

Emigrated from Ireland 7 years ago.

People love the way I say my threes, my dirty-trees and my dirty-tree-and-a-turds.

People love to have banter generally about my inability to pronounce my 'th's' Even today I was referring to something being 'thick' (but comes out 'tick') and my friend says 'oooh say that again would you?'

I take it all as banter, which it as meant as, and I love my accent being so distinctive.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

Late December back in 63....

what a lager,what a night:) , was our version of that song.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

went to college with a fella from Tuam many moons ago.

took me the better part of a month to understand him. Any S anywhere in a word had to be accompanied by a H....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

So what part of Ireland was graced by you being born there :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

When I hear the average Irish accent in the street in London, the first thing I think is "bogger" at least University graduates would not be as bad, as they have some form of education and are more likely to be able to pronounce their words properly

Tell your 'mates' over in England that we were speaking Irish until they came along, not our fault our accent is what it is now, we simply weren't designed to speak English.

Still, at least the foreign ladies think our accent is lovely. If it helps us get laid a little easier on our infrequent skirmishes away then that's a compensation we ****in deserve and by god we will take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭lazza14

Jolly good old chap ! Well done - now go back to drinking fine brandy and shooting pheasant on the Grand Old Estate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I have a very neutral accent. I lived in England for the first few years of my life, and then moved to France for a few years. Had an English accent until I was about 10, but it slowly developed into kind of Irish/slightly English accent. Even though I lived in Kerry for most of my life!

Nobody can guess where I am from by my accent. I speak quite clearly. My younger brother on the other hand has pure Kerry farmer accent, I can't understand what he's saying half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

Was it Shaw who said all it was impossible for one English man to speak without another English man hating him?.I love the idea of Bench press hanging out with the cockneys in London and, her nose pointing up at the sky,trying her best to look down it and wondering why they do not speak the queens English.I fink it is funny-(only aving a larf ,wot arm is it ?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

I had a work colleague come over to Ireland from the uk office many years back. He told me how his family used to visit tramore on holidays. He then told me they the most sophisticated people the locals had seen . God help him I thought.
    Also, on the pronunciation. I find by and large we are more correct .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

I'm from Carlow and I'm not sure we even have an accent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

I'm from Carlow and I'm not sure we even have an accent.

I'm in tinhely not from here but I love the accent around here n Carlow and around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I've been told I have a soft Irish accent by my English speaking colleagues here in Germany. I'm from Galway originally so never had one of the more insufferable accents like those found in Munster and near the border. So a soft accent became even softer. We also never had the same difficulties with the soft h as other Irish accents have. It makes conversing with other English speakers far less confusing for them.

Another Galway lad here.... I've never had problems with my accent -- since i've moved to Dublin i've had many immigrants remark that they can understand me so well compared to the locals!! Most Dubliners seem to like my accent as well when I ask for directions.:D

My parents are from Mayo so my accent gets heavier when I talk to them, but some Galway people think I'm from Mayo full stop but the Mayo people can never hear it. I'd say I've a bit of a hybrid Galway/Mayo accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

I always remember the first yank I ever worked with. He came over to Ireland to train me in a new job. He came back after the first weekend off with something like ''you god damn Irish, you drive 10 miles down the road and you have a different accent to the last town.''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

My parents are from Mayo so my accent gets heavier when I talk to them, but some Galway people think I'm from Mayo full stop but the Mayo people can never hear it. I'd say I've a bit of a hybrid Galway/Mayo accent.

There isn't really any difference in both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

When I hear the average Irish accent in the street in London, the first thing I think is "bogger" at least University graduates would not be as bad, as they have some form of education and are more likely to be able to pronounce their words properly

The english snobbery is taking hold of you........hopfully they keep you.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement