Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of Getting Lean

• 06-03-2015 5:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭

Excellent article. Rather than focusing on specific diets or exercise programs it talks about general lifestyle changes and sacrifices needed to go down through the body fat percentage bands. Well worth a read.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/cost-of-getting-lean

Applicable to any sport where weight is important.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

For me - the cost was, well, quite a lot ......

....but at least I've ended up with a few bikes and a nice training facility ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

Don't really agree, the sacrifices they've raised there are more what it takes to get to being that lean, not to maintaining those bf percentages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Don't really agree, the sacrifices they've raised there are more what it takes to get to being that lean, not to maintaining those bf percentages

Does it not depend where on the spectrum you are?

A guy who goes from 25% to 15% can probably stay there easy enough once his new practices/lifestyle become an ingrained habit.

Staying under 10% would be socially difficult and maybe mentally draining for most in the long term?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Reckon I'm in the 13-15% bracket now as was 16.5% when 3KG heavier.

Had to change a lot of eating habits to bring the weight down and then found I could reintroduce a few of the bad ones and maintain a stable weight. I'm pretty sure though that if I went back to how I was regards eating, the weight would shoot right back up.

As suggested above, probably the higher your body fat percentage the more you can get away with relaxing the regime that got you there in the first place and still maintain stable weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

I'm a bit in two minds about that health thing and low body fat percentages. Maybe it's just observer bias on my part but I find that getting rid of a cold is a great deal more difficult when I'm at 10% than when I'm around 15%. Also I seem to be getting secondary infections easier when at 10%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Hmmzis wrote: »
    I'm a bit in two minds about that health thing and low body fat percentages. Maybe it's just observer bias on my part but I find that getting rid of a cold is a great deal more difficult when I'm at 10% than when I'm around 15%. Also I seem to be getting secondary infections easier when at 10%.

Aye racing at Navan last week at 8% bodyfat seems like a fast track to getting sick. In our climate there's probably a benefit to maintaining a higher bodyfat percentage than if you were training in the Canaries.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye racing at Navan last week at 8% bodyfat seems like a fast track to getting sick. In our climate there's probably a benefit to maintaining a higher bodyfat percentage than if you were training in the Canaries.

8% is pretty low.

Hard to get there and stay there? I'm not going to try, just curious btw.

How are you measuring? Got an 11% and 14% reading at same time with two different methods last year.

Is the reason pro cyclists, for example, are prone to colds/flus etc more to do with their bodies being under stress than low bodyfat?

ford2600 wrote: »
    8% is pretty low.

Hard to get there and stay there? I'm not going to try, just curious btw.

How are you measuring? Got an 11% and 14% reading at same time with two different methods last year.

Is the reason pro cyclists, for example, are prone to colds/flus etc more to do with their bodies being under stress than low bodyfat?

I am not 8%, I am in the same range as you, I was surmising that at such low levels you'd suffer in our conditions, week in week out, for racing and training.

What do you reckon guys is optimum ? In other words both healthy and light.

From reading suspect about 10% but have not been at these levels to know.

And how do you measure it ? The twice I've had it done was with a gym owner who measured with calipers. Is it something you can do yourself ?

And how do you measure it ? The twice I've had it done was with a gym owner who measured with calipers. Is it something you can do yourself ?

"iDxa scans" and "Bod pods" are the only very accurate ways to determine it as far as I understand.

• Advertisement

See what level of fat you feel best at rather than targeting a number I think.

As for measuring, use same person to do it a same time of day and at same hydration level etc. Might not be 100% accurate but is reliably in its inaccuracy and is cheap!

Inquitus wrote: »
    "iDxa scans" and "Bod pods" are the only very accurate ways to determine it as far as I understand.

Interesting. I happen to have a DEXA scan in Limerick regional in 2 weeks time to measure bone density. I wonder is body fat percentage automatically measured too or is it something you would need to explicitly request and do separately.

Advertisement