Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to college Affordability

Options
  • 06-03-2015 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi guys,

I done my LC 2 years ago, got fairly high points, got my course, done very well in it in first year but really didnt like it at all. Decided to take a years leave of absence last september (should have been going into 2nd year). I decided that I dont want to return to that course, I notified the college of my exit and have reapplied for CAO and should get into my new choice without any problems, but..

While I was in college, I received the full grant. I am currently employed in a restaurant but my hours are very low, mainly weekends, sometimes just 4/5 hours a week since things are so quiet this time of year. If I do return to college, there is no way I will afford the full fees I have to pay (approx 8000 euro I think?). And since I got the grant already for a course, I will not be able to get it until second year again. I also have siblings in college getting the grant now.

So my main question is, is there any way I can get my fees paid?

Otherwise I won't be able to return to college and will probably end up emigrating come September. I have looked at Back to education but I am under 23 so I wont get that.

Will signing up for social welfare be any benefit? I am unsure if I will even get Jobseekers benefit since I live at home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

So my main question is, is there any way I can get my fees paid?

No. If you wait 5 years you're eligible for being deemed a second chance student. Aside from that, you have to fork up the fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

They can award grants in repeat years but it must be "exceptional circumstances"

http://www.susi.ie/Should-I-apply/Previous-Education-and-Progression.aspx

If you just changed your mind about your course, I can't imagine they'd award a grant. If you were had mental health or physical issues during the year though there might be some chance but I wouldn't get my hopes up

Advertisement