Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a rabbit neutered

• 06-03-2015 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

I've recently and unexpectedly acquired a new furry friend, a very large male lop eared rabbit that was unwanted where he was. I'm a complete sucker for taking in every abandoned/ sick/ injured animal that comes my way so here we are!

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of getting a rabbit neutered? I've had rabbits before and my previous vet didn't do this type of surgery, but I've heard that it can be done.
    The rabbit is indoors at the moment and I'm having problems with him spraying to mark his territory, and the more I clean, the more it's happening. I've read that neutering could help to stop this, however I wouldn't go ahead with it if there was a large amount of risk involved. Is neutering a rabbit very uncommon?

Any info/ thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Unlike Guinea Pigs neutering rabbits is usually very sucessful & they recover well. Your best bet is a vet experienced with small furries. Bairbre O Malley located in Bray is fantastic with smallies. I'm not sure where you are based though? My own vet Anicare in several branches in Dublin are also very good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I too acquired a large stinky male lop, he was neutered and stayed stinky for a few weeks afterwards, but now he's fresh as a daisy. Boy buns are easier to neuter than girl buns, but because surgery and rabbits don't go well together it's best to get a very experienced vet. Bairbre O'Malley in Bray would be the best vet to go to.

I'd also recommend you get him a lady bun after he's neutered as buns like to be with other buns.

Advertisement