Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GP training in the UK

Options
  • 06-03-2015 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi there, I'm a medical student seriously considering becoming a GP when I qualify and to keep my options open I am considering applying to the UK as I understand the competition here can be quite high. Just a couple of questions if anyone has done it:
    -I was wondering if you'd be eligible to apply straight after intern year? (as I'm aware in the UK they have 2 year internships)
    -are the schemes there all 3 years long, compared to the 4 years here?
    -is there a lot less competition over there?
    -is it looked down on to have done your training over there when you come back to ireland to apply for jobs here?
    Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭his_dudeness

There have been vacancies in some of the GP training schemes here over the last year or two, so its less competitive than it has been, mostly due with no-one actually wanting to be a GP here by the time they finish

Advertisement