Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Truth about Craft Beers...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    Sorry, it was actually winter selection, not seasonal. So like some cinnamon and other spices in there.

Anything on cask is considered "Real Ale".

Please, please stop being gay or i'm going to have to call you both hipsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Whatever man. Heterosexuality and unspiced beer is too mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

mad muffin wrote: »
    I like Bud and Coors. So yeah… fück you. Oh and craft beer tastes like dirty sock water strained through moody week old jock straps.

So you like fizzy water then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Jamsiek wrote: »
    So you like fizzy water then

Please don't bring my beloved Pellegrino into this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭RayCon

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Please don't bring my beloved Pellegrino into this.

I hear he might get the boot ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Good people drink good beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I noticed that people that drink craft beers are people that dont really drink. They have a couple of beers and gone home by 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Warper wrote: »
    I noticed that people that drink craft beers are people that dont really drink. They have a couple of beers and gone home by 10

I believe "Sensible" is the word you're searching for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Sounds like me alright, I like to drink a few nice beers, chat to friends and have a chilled out time. Going out all night knocking back pint after pint just doesn't appeal to me at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Plus one gets real pissed off dealing with skaggy hangovers as you get older.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Typically craft beer is 5% or 6% . Even more ..

A couple is all a need before I start feeling the alcohol.

Time to go home, before I start trying to solve the country's problems to the poor unfortunate next to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

You seem to be spending too much time noticing other people. You should drink more.

Typically craft beer is 5% or 6% . Even more ..

A couple is all a need before I start feeling the alcohol.

Time to go home, before I start trying to solve the country's problems to the poor unfortunate next to me.

Ah there's not really a typical craft beer percentage, it can be anything, I love a nice lower ABV ale. Something like Fyne Ales Jarl, 3.8% and lovely citrusy thing going on with the hops, nothing like it when the weather gets hot. :)

How do you manage to stay ahead in the competitive world of drinking? Injecting beer?

anncoates wrote: »
    How do you manage to stay ahead in the competitive world of drinking? Injecting beer?

Vodka eyeballin' of course!

Links234 wrote: »
    Ah there's not really a typical craft beer percentage, it can be anything, I love a nice lower ABV ale. Something like Fyne Ales Jarl, 3.8% and lovely citrusy thing going on with the hops, nothing like it when the weather gets hot. :)

I'm lucky enough to have a local brewery that has a world class (97 points beer advocate rating) IPA - Le Cumbre Elevated IPA at 7.2% A true strong American IPA. Wham bam thank you m'aam..

That's pretty awesome! :D I probably wouldn't like it though, me and higher ABVs are at disagreements over matters political and social and just don't see eye to eye at all, so I tend not to drink 'em :o

Thornbridge's Jaipur is probably one of the strongest that I'd call a favourite, which weighs in at 5.9%

Links234 wrote: »
    That's pretty awesome! :D I probably wouldn't like it though, me and higher ABVs are at disagreements over matters political and social and just don't see eye to eye at all, so I tend not to drink 'em :o

Thornbridge's Jaipur is probably one of the strongest that I'd call a favourite, which weighs in at 5.9%

They tend to brew high around here. I have a Marble Red Ale on tap at 6.5% and also Le Cumbre's Session Pale Ale is a 5.8% even as a 'session' beer.
    If you are at all a hophead then the session is brewed with Simcoe hops, and almost, not quite, as good as the elevated IPA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

MadsL wrote: »
    I'm lucky enough to have a local brewery that has a world class (97 points beer advocate rating) IPA - Le Cumbre Elevated IPA at 7.2% A true strong American IPA. Wham bam thank you m'aam..

And Ireland is lucky enough to have Galway Bay's "Of Foam and Fury", a 99 rated (I prefer Ratebeer to BeerAdvocate, because it has a bigger user base) Imperial IPA clocking in at 8.5% abv and 132 IBU :D
    Try it the next time you're back.

And I'm here in India with Kingfisher and McDowells Gold as my options, fml :(

And Ireland is lucky enough to have Galway Bay's "Of Foam and Fury", a 99 rated (I prefer Ratebeer to BeerAdvocate, because it has a bigger user base) Imperial IPA clocking in at 8.5% abv and 132 IBU :D
    Try it the next time you're back.

And I'm here in India with Kingfisher and McDowells Gold as my options, fml :(

Hate to break it to you as Galway Bay's brew sounds amazing, but http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/la-cumbre-elevated-ipa/133713/
    Just squeaks ahead ;)

I don't suppose Galway Bay can it? I'd love to try it, I'll pop a can of elevated in the post if you send me your address.

• Advertisement

Hate to break it to you as Galway Bay's brew sounds amazing, but http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/la-cumbre-elevated-ipa/133713/
    Just squeaks ahead ;)

I don't suppose Galway Bay can it? I'd love to try it, I'll pop a can of elevated in the post if you send me your address.

No canning as of yet. When I get back to Éire I'll send you my address and we'll sort out a trade, I'll send you a bottle of the Galway bay stuff and you can send me the Elevated, sounds class.

No canning as of yet. When I get back to Éire I'll send you my address and we'll sort out a trade, I'll send you a bottle of the Galway bay stuff and you can send me the Elevated, sounds class.

Sounds great. Did some reading on them - great to see a young Irish brewer making his mark, I half expected an American head brewer :) Love to trade btw :D

Yeah, that Of Foam and Fury, I've tasted it... couldn't drink it at all! It's only sold in half pints, and honestly don't think I could even finish one

Sounds great. Did some reading on them - great to see a young Irish brewer making his mark, I half expected an American head brewer :) Love to trade btw :D

There's a lad from the midwest working as head brewer of WhiteHad brewing company in Sligo with 15 years experience in american breweries and it really shows, their beers are probably the best from a new brewery even in Ireland, straight off the bat they were producing top class stuff. The made a lovely imperial stout and a really nice IPA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Most lager is supposed to be cold and easy to drink. That's why it's such a decent drink for slugging down on a warm day

I can't understand the obsession with ice cold drinks in Ireland. If it's cold outside then cold drinks are crazy unless the coldness serves another purpose. Really cold drinks have the effect numbing taste buds making sure the drinker doesn't have to deal with much actual flavour. When the taste buds are somewhat numbed the fizz feels all the more tangy on the tongue.

I think the fizzy texture is the best part of the big brands. A bottle of Miller tastes of nothing really but feels nice in the mouth.

I'm pretty sure the obsession with cold beer comes from watching American TV where Americans slag the UK for serving warm beer. Cold/extra cold beer makes sense in warm countries and on warm day or if you don't want to taste the beer. Since we live in a country where it's rarely warm and frequently cold then I'd prefer if beer the beer I drink was served much closer to room temp

I can't understand the obsession with ice cold drinks in Ireland. If it's cold outside then cold drinks are crazy unless the coldness serves another purpose. Really cold drinks have the effect numbing taste buds making sure the drinker doesn't have to deal with much actual flavour. When the taste buds are somewhat numbed the fizz feels all the more tangy on the tongue.

I think the fizzy texture is the best part of the big brands. A bottle of Miller tastes of nothing really but feels nice in the mouth.

I'm pretty sure the obsession with cold beer comes from watching American TV where Americans slag the UK for serving warm beer. Cold/extra cold beer makes sense in warm countries and on warm day or if you don't want to taste the beer. Since we live in a country where it's rarely warm and frequently cold then I'd prefer if beer the beer I drink was served much closer to room temp

I like normal cold lager as something like a BBQ drink when it's warm but as you say it's not so much of a tasty drink that the deadening effect of the low temperature makes a difference.

It's bizarre seeing stuff like stout / porter served up 'ice cold' though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Ranchu wrote: »
    People that moan about craft beers tend to have the same attitude as people that moan about vegetarians and they all end up sounding like 90 year old stuck in their ways assholes.

Thats a bit harsh. Not all vegetarians sound like 90 year old stuck in their ways assholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I like normal cold lager as something like a BBQ drink when it's warm but as you say it's not so much of a tasty drink that the deadening effect of the low temperature makes a difference.

It's bizarre seeing stuff like stout / porter served up 'ice cold' though.

Not really. The macro stouts need to be cold because anything else and you'd be able to taste them. I'm still partial to a Beamish, especially if there's only macros on tap, even with most places having some wheat beers I still often choose a Beamish. I just find some of the stronger non-macro stouts far better, Leann Follain is pretty decent. West Kerry Brewery's Carraig Dubh is superb. Although I also think most micro/craft stouts are as bad the macro's. They just put a craft label on it and pump out the standard taste to try and win over Guinness drinkers who want an Irish stout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I'm adding you to my ignore list sir :mad: ;)

• Advertisement

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    I'm adding you to my ignore list sir :mad: ;)

Amazing how touchy some people get about people talking about beer.

Amazing how touchy some people get about people talking about beer.

I'm getting an arouma of sarcasm on the nose :pac:

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Not really. The macro stouts need to be cold because anything else and you'd be able to taste them.

That's what I meant about the deadening effect of cold on taste and that stouts are not supposed to be served that cold?

I think it's as much to do with the fact that people here expect drinks to be cold across the board rather than hiding the taste.

I still like a pint of Guinness or Beamish myself from time to time even though I go more for others stouts/porters when I can.

I love Leann FolIain on tap. I think Guinness missed a good opening there with the poor quality of their new bottles aiming at the so called craft market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Fancy names, fancy labels, fancy Dan’s drinking them. Describing a bottle in the same tones as one would with wine. Anyone with a pot to pish, there in the brewing business. Severely overpriced, 3.60 for a wee can?

Not even if it came out of Angelina Jolie’s pússy would I be paying those prices. The vast majority taste the same, just with little tweaks and variations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

"Budweiser tastes like piss" "Canadian Molson is piss water" "Carlsberg is grand, if you like the taste of piss".

There's a lot of people in here that seem to know what piss tasted like. Worrying.

Omackeral wrote: »
    "Budweiser tastes like piss" "Canadian Molson is piss water" "Carlsberg is grand, if you like the taste of piss".

There's a lot of people in here that seem to know what piss tasted like. Worrying.

Well it's pretty easily explained, all three of the beers you listed and bog standard pale lagers and pale lagers, generally, taste like piss. Don't act like you've never tasted your own piss, next you'll try claim you never owned a fingerbox.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭billythefish99

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Fancy names, fancy labels, fancy Dan’s drinking them. Describing a bottle in the same tones as one would with wine. Anyone with a pot to pish, there in the brewing business. Severely overpriced, 3.60 for a wee can?

Not even if it came out of Angelina Jolie’s pússy would I be paying those prices. The vast majority taste the same, just with little tweaks and variations.

There are enormous differences in flavour among beers, from sours to dessert beers, to dry saisons and bitter IPAs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Just that one sentence convinces me that you've hardly tried any craft beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    would I be paying those prices.
    Nor paid for any, since you can often get a selection of such beers on offer in most off licences and supermarkets these days.

PropJoe10 wrote: »

On the contrary, I've often spent 50 plus quid on a mad splurge on a variation of brews. Beer/ale, whatever spin you want to put on it. The crazier the name, the more costly it becomes.

It's not all bad though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Ah man, 3.60 for that, that's a bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I grew up in the UK (mostly) where we've had "craft beer" for over 500 years.

I think it's just a reaction to the increasing homogeneity of the beers that were readily available. Starting in the US with the microbreweries, which was a reaction to the Bud/Coors etc. bland mass-produced stuff.

It has certainly taken off over here in a big way, and of course the larger breweries see this and want in on the act. Even Tesco has their own range now, brewed by Marston's. I've tried a few and really enjoyed the "Saison" one.

Undoubtedly there are those for whom it's just another way to express their superiority, but to me it's great. More and better-tasting beer. Huzzah!

* falls over *

There are more nuances in beer than there are in wines by a long way but nobody would be ignorant enough to claim "all wine tastes the same" and not be laughed at for it. In win there is 1 variable, the grape.

In beer there is grain, hops, yeast, adjucts like fruits or herbs or sugars (candy sugars in strong belgian beers, lactose in milk stouts) or even specialty malts, there is the degree of the roasting of the grain giving darker or lighter colours, heavy or light body and so on. Wheat, rhy, barley or oat as the source of your malt, etc etc etc.

The difference between a Belgian sour and an Irish stout are far more pronounced than between a cab sav and a rioja.

There are more nuances in beer than there are in wines by a long way but nobody would be ignorant enough to claim "all wine tastes the same" and not be laughed at for it. In win there is 1 variable, the grape.

In beer there is grain, hops, yeast, adjucts like fruits or herbs or sugars (candy sugars in strong belgian beers, lactose in milk stouts) or even specialty malts, there is the degree of the roasting of the grain giving darker or lighter colours, heavy or light body and so on. Wheat, rhy, barley or oat as the source of your malt, etc etc etc.

The difference between a Belgian sour and an Irish stout are far more pronounced than between a cab sav and a rioja.

I don't really drink wine, just a mere comparison. I mainly drink vodka, and I don't sit around a table discussing it's subtle differences.

I wanna get loaded...

We wanna be free to do what we wanna do
    And we wanna get loaded
    And we wanna have a good time
    That's what we're gonna do
    We're gonna have a good time

We're gonna have a party.

On the contrary, I've often spent 50 plus quid on a mad splurge on a variation of brews. Beer/ale, whatever spin you want to put on it. The crazier the name, the more costly it becomes.
    You are a spoofer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Talking about Craft beers is like being a teenager all over again.

E.G.

Was at a beer festival in copenhagen, there was a circle of lads all tasting the same beer.

One says: "What do you think"

The other guys are all waiting for the others to answer

One says: "I like it, chocolate aroma with a overtones of lemon zest"

Everyone else: "Yes .. yes .. agree .. totally.

Next beer

Same thing

One guy says "I like it"

Everyone else "Oh thats disgusting .. wtf are you thinking"

Really it reminds me of a group of teenagers:

Group of Teenagers looking at a girl

One guy says "Oh jaysus look at her"

The group "Oh shes a heffer ...wtf man .. you're disgusting"

The point is that some guys are into larger ladies the same way some guys are into standard beers like Heineken, Bavaria, Tuborg or whatever.

So you can shove your opinion on what beers you think other people should like up your arse.

This is coming from someone that lives close to the Belgian border and the local shop carries around 800 different beers, to each their own.

Beer snobs have become worse than wine snobs.

^^^

This is embarrassing stuff. Its really strange how people get upset at those who are interested in the taste of beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

^^^

This is embarrassing stuff. Its really strange how people get upset at those who are interested in the taste of beer.

I'll never understand it myself. Go find a hobby or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Beer snobs have become worse than wine snobs.

That has nothing to do with the taste of beer though. I agree some beer drinkers are snobs and same with wine drinkers but I can't understand how people make the mental leap that they won't enjoy trying a new beer because some clown mentioned its floral aroma on a beer tasting website. Judge the beer on it's own merits, not by the people who drink it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I think a lot of it comes down to attitudes towards drinking itself. I have a family and I can't go out drinking 7 or 8 pints anymore where the taste doesn't really matter, I'm only doing it to get pissed and have a good time - I can't deal with hangovers and kids don't have any sympathy for you if you're suffering at 7am. Because of this if I have a drink it will only be one or two and I'm going to enjoy them for the taste and quality of the beer rather than getting pissed as cheaply as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jimmybeige

This is coming from someone that lives close to the Belgian border and the local shop carries around 800 different beers, to each their own.

How does living next to something somehow make you an expert on it? I lived in Canada for years, I don't expect my knowledge of maple syrup is particularly superior to anyone else's purely because I lived there. Also, there are more beers out there than Belgian ones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement