Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

adrian522 wrote: »
    Jimmy G contract details, not too bad from a 49ers point of view, seriously front loaded, only really committed to 2 years, could get out after that without much dead money...

Its a smart (and obvious) move by Lynch - the 49ers have the money now - they won't have it in a couple of years if they are going to be competitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Some lad on reddit did a massive prediction for the offseason, both Free Agency and the Draft. Very impressive work, a hell of a lot of detail in it the writeup.

Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/NFL_Draft/comments/7w8js3/four_round_mock_with_fa_trades_comp_picks/

Google Docs: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kJ5ozdIyztU_yl5n8vFL3zr-3yAAOI14zqmHCt7HfSY/edit

My understanding as well of that aspect of the trade was that BB was looking out for Garopollo and not sending him to a tyre fire like Cleveland.

He didn't want to trade him but he also didn't want to screw him over in the process.
    BB is ruthless - if he felt it was in his interest then Jimmy G would be in Cleveland. BB wanted to keep him as a replacement for Brady - but there is a lot of behind the scenes stuff going on in NE. Kraft was looking at post-BB, BB was looking at post-Brady, Brady was worried that Jimmy G would replace him, Kraft told BB to get rid of Jimmy G and BB gave him to SF for half his trade value in order to stick it to Kraft.

Wouldn't be surprised to see BB retire this off-season - there is a reason McDaniels f*cked-over the Colts - and the power struggle will continue to play out until there is a resolution.

Knex. wrote: »
    Some lad on reddit did a massive prediction for the offseason, both Free Agency and the Draft. Very impressive work, a hell of a lot of detail in it the writeup.

Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/NFL_Draft/comments/7w8js3/four_round_mock_with_fa_trades_comp_picks/

Google Docs: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kJ5ozdIyztU_yl5n8vFL3zr-3yAAOI14zqmHCt7HfSY/edit

The FA moves look decent - but, in relation to Denver, he is wrong about Wolfe. Wolfe is on a very cap friendly contract and is one of the key members of the defence. However, he is suffering from a neck injury and may be forced to retire. If he can play he will be with the Broncos unless they believe he is one hit away from going down for good.

The draft is all over the shop (and that is not a surprise). I expect Barkley to be taken either by the Colts or the Browns at No.4. Again in relation to Denver, he has the Broncos focusing on defence. If you sign Cousins then you have to protect him and the Broncos badly need an OT and an OG. The one glaring weakness on the defence is ILB and offences exploit it using the TE. Most Broncos fans expect Elway to address all three spots in the top two rounds. Look for the Broncos to trade - not to No.7 - but to around mid-round and taking Roquan Smith ILB - and then trade back into the first round to take Brown OT (the other option would be, if Nelson OG falls far enough - say to No. 10 - then Elway takes him and then trades back into the first round for Smith). In the second round Elway will either take an OT if he has Nelson - or more likely an OG if he has Brown - and the OG being touted is Hernandez (the Broncos have first hand knowledge of Hernandez from the Senior Bowl where he was impressive). After that expect RB, CB, S, DE and NT in no particular order to be next on the list.

I am sure fans of other teams would be able to make similar assessments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

BB is ruthless - if he felt it was in his interest then Jimmy G would be in Cleveland. BB wanted to keep him as a replacement for Brady - but there is a lot of behind the scenes stuff going on in NE. Kraft was looking at post-BB, BB was looking at post-Brady, Brady was worried that Jimmy G would replace him, Kraft told BB to get rid of Jimmy G and BB gave him to SF for half his trade value in order to stick it to Kraft.

Oh yeah you got good concrete inside information on this? Or are you a firm believer in the "sources" ESPN came up with.

None of those claims have ever been backed up by any regular Pats writer or any regular Pats insider. All hear say from an unknown "Pats Staffer" Seth Wickersham a man who is obsessed with trying to find something that isnt there with Tom Brady and the Patriots.

Did Bill want to keep Jimmy? Yes we all know that much is true Bill said it himself in so many words. But the feud crap is just nonsense. Wickersham is full of sh1t and always has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Very interesting read. It's accurate for the Ravens because of the lack of FA moves they will make. :pac: The Ravens are always struggling for cap space

He has Ryan Jensen to the Texans, Woodhead to Cowboys and Jeremy Maclin to the Giants. Whatever about the destinations I agree they won't be back. Jensen will be missed :(

Mike Wallace to resign, I'd agree with that too but he'll be testing FA for a while before anything gets done. Trey Burton signed also, I don't know a lot about him but a pass catching TE is a definite need
    Draft:
    (1,16) Connor Williams, OT, Texas
    (2,52) Antonio Calloway, WR, Florida
    (3,83) Jerome Baker, LB, Ohio State
    (3,94) Mike White, QB, Western Kentucky
    (4,126) Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia

Wow a 3rd round QB, hasn't happened since the Chris Redman who in 2000 who I believe got a long career for himself as the Falcons backup QB .

I like the RB pick. I think the message boards will go into meltdown for taking a lineman in the 1st round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    Don't think I have ever seen this been mentioned which if true is nice of BB to look out for Jimmy that way but the Pats were not willing to trade with the Browns at that time as by all account Bill wanted to keep Jimmy around.

The situation changed and the Pats were not in a position to keep both QB and pay Jimmy next year so the trade was in essence the right thing to do. No way we were trading Brady and no way we were going to pay Jimmy and no way Jimmy would sit behind Brady again.

As for all the disgruntled nonsense that others have mentioned nothing more than bad reporting and "sources" making stuff up to suit their agendas. Yes Bill wanted to keep Jimmy but they didn't fight over it. That is just daft. As fat head always says Fake News.

I saw it in a couple of places about Bill purposefully sending him to SF as a way of doing him a solid. But for the life of me can't remember where. :(

And you know yourself, I wouldn't be one to spout positivity towards the Hoodie. But he does strike me as the sort that would see the likes of Jimmy G as his project and his failureto make it would be a sort of failure to him.

He's a ruthless bastard alright but only in the way you have to be to be ranked with Lombardi, Shula and Landry. :)

---

@JRG, cheers for those links. just the sort of stuff I need to procrastinate with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

A serious amount of work must have went into that! If the Jets FA spending did turn out like this I'd be fairly disappointed, CB and OL are the two areas outside of QB that the Jets need to invest heavily in(they'll have over $100 million, so if they dont sign Cousins I'd fully expect a big chunk of that money to go on a centre and a cornerback). I'd have no interest in going after Carlos Hyde or any of the FA running backs. I'd have no problem signing Taylor and drafting Mayfield, but if Denver did sign Cousins and the rest of the FA QBs went where he's expecting I dont think there would be any need to trade up in the draft.

Good read though

mikemac2 wrote: »

Trey Burton signed also, I don't know a lot about him but a pass catching TE is a definite need

He can throw a tight spiral too :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

mikemac2 wrote: »
    I think the message boards will go into meltdown for taking a lineman in the 1st round

So will I! :pac:

God help the draft thread on here if we don't take an offensive playmaker. :pac:

phatkev wrote: »
    I'd have no problem signing Taylor and drafting Mayfield, but if Denver did sign Cousins and the rest of the FA QBs went where he's expecting I dont think there would be any need to trade up in the draft.

The team that signs Cousins will not need to draft a QB - for every other team that signs a FA QB they are signing a stop-gap and drafting a QB will be a priority.

At the moment Cleveland, Giants, Broncos and Jets all need a QB and all are drafting top 6. If Cleveland signs Cousins then they will try and shop the 1.1 - but I would rank them behind Minnesota, Denver and Buffalo in the stakes to sign him.

I expect the Browns to take Darnold with 1.1 - although it couldn't be ruled out that they take Josh Allen.

The Giants may decide to roll the dice for one more season with Manning but I expect them to take Rosen (or Darnold if the Browns pass on him).

The Colts are going to be a mess in this draft - any new HC will be badly under-prepared for the draft and the Colts front office will be focused on finding a HC and then sorting out the mess McDaniels left them with. I expect them to go for the safe pick at 1.3 and take the sure-fire thing that is Saquon Barkley.

The Browns could do anything with the 1.4 - trade to the Broncos if they need a QB, trade to the Jets if they need a QB (which they probably will) or they could stay and take Fitzpatrick or Nelson or Chubb etc. If the Colts pass on Barkley then the Browns will take him at 1.4

If the Broncos don't get Cousins they will draft a QB at 1.5 (or trade up to 1.4 if they are worried about the Jets) - Rosen will be the pick if he falls, otherwise it looks like Mayfield (they seemed to favour Mayfield over Allen while coaching the Senior Bowl). If the Broncos get Cousins then expect Elway to trade down to the mid-round and pick up a 2nd this year and a first rounder next year.

The Jets will take whatever QB is left at 1.6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/jimmy-garoppolo-14472/

It looks like the 49ers are only tied to Garoppolo for two years minimum. The cap hit is front loaded to year 1.

It looks like the 49ers are only tied to Garoppolo for two years minimum. The cap hit is front loaded to year 1.

Believe I read that he has a no trade clause as well for year 3 and 4.

Edit: it was just year 4.

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/962035639511232512

Sunday, no football.

Lets **** on the Browns.

Since the Carson Wentz trade, the Browns have as many wins as the Eagles have Super Bowls.

Since entering the league, Randy Gergory has more failed drug tests than the Browns have wins.

Hue Jackson is the head coach of the Cleveland Browns.

The Browns drafted three times as many players in the first round last year, than they have wins under Hue Jackson.

I think the 49ers are going to be very good for the next few years. Jimmy G is potentially the key piece of the jigsaw for them and Shanahan will get the best out of him.

As a Broncos fan I find it very frustrating - I wanted Shanahan as the Broncos HC but, thanks to Matt Russell, Elway zeroed in on Joseph and ignored all other possibilities. I also wanted Russell sacked and John Lynch brought in as the Broncos Director of Player Personnel to replace him, before Lynch took the 49ers job (with the intention that Lynch would ultimately replace Elway).

The 49ers had a really good draft last year and if they go BPA available through the draft this year they will have a really solid base to build on for the coming years. Furthermore, front loading the Jimmy G deal is very smart from Lynch because nearly half the guaranteed money is set against the 2018 cap and the 49ers still have something like $50million to play around with for FAs - and most importantly, that don't have to worry about getting a QB, they already have one, and that opens up all sorts of possibilities.

If I was a 49ers fan I would be thrilled to bits with how things are progressing at SF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭letowski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

'Agree to Terms' eh?

Wonder will this guy actually sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭letowski

And some reaction :)

https://twitter.com/jaredputnam/status/962777535820988416

Per ESPN:

"The Eagles have braced themselves to lose Reich to the Colts. Reich, 56, received strong, detailed endorsements, but Ballard nevertheless engaged in an interview that lasted approximately 10 hours, sources said."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22400956/frank-reich-favorite-indianapolis-colts-coach

https://twitter.com/AdamLefkoe/status/962746429323259904

https://twitter.com/ereller25/status/962765156131491842

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I think the 49ers are going to be very good for the next few years. Jimmy G is potentially the key piece of the jigsaw for them and Shanahan will get the best out of him.

As a Broncos fan I find it very frustrating - I wanted Shanahan as the Broncos HC but, thanks to Matt Russell, Elway zeroed in on Joseph and ignored all other possibilities. I also wanted Russell sacked and John Lynch brought in as the Broncos Director of Player Personnel to replace him, before Lynch took the 49ers job (with the intention that Lynch would ultimately replace Elway).

The 49ers had a really good draft last year and if they go BPA available through the draft this year they will have a really solid base to build on for the coming years. Furthermore, front loading the Jimmy G deal is very smart from Lynch because nearly half the guaranteed money is set against the 2018 cap and the 49ers still have something like $50million to play around with for FAs - and most importantly, that don't have to worry about getting a QB, they already have one, and that opens up all sorts of possibilities.

If I was a 49ers fan I would be thrilled to bits with how things are progressing at SF.

I believe both Shanahan and Lynch liked the blank slate and free rein they were getting at the 49ers. Broncos obviously had better pieces to work with but expectations for instant success were there (rightly or wrongly see Joeseph as an example). I doubt Elway would have offered 6 year contracts to either nor the roster control that Shanahan currently has.

Early in the season I would have agreed with going the BPA route in the draft for the 49ers but as the season wore on a lot of the young players started to contribute, even without Jimmy G elevating the team. They are solid in a number of positions but have serious gaps in a few areas (CB, interior OL, edge) that they need to either target in FA or focus early picks in the draft towards.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I believe both Shanahan and Lynch liked the blank slate and free rein they were getting at the 49ers. Broncos obviously had better pieces to work with but expectations for instant success were there (rightly or wrongly see Joeseph as an example). I doubt Elway would have offered 6 year contracts to either nor the roster control that Shanahan currently has.
    Agreed - but it appears Shanahan didn't even enter the discussion - Elway had zeroed in on VJ and was only going through the motions. The most annoying thing is that of the six coaches hired last season Elway picked the worst one.
    Early in the season I would have agreed with going the BPA route in the draft for the 49ers but as the season wore on a lot of the young players started to contribute, even without Jimmy G elevating the team. They are solid in a number of positions but have serious gaps in a few areas (CB, interior OL, edge) that they need to either target in FA or focus early picks in the draft towards.
    The 49ers pretty much have free-reign in FA and the draft - if they find the pieces in FA then they can go BPA in the draft - if they go BPA in FA then they can use the draft to fill what holes might be left (and they can trade up or down to do it). There is nothing like having a QB in place to help you fix everything else - and that is something Broncos fans know all too well.

Didn't expect to lose reich and defillipo it willl be interesting to see how doud does on his own/replacing them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

DeFillipo looks like a great hire for the Vikings. He was widely regarded as a frontrunner for a HC spot, at one stage several reporters had him going to Chicago as HC, but they'd jumped the gun. Given his work in developing Wentz and the fact that he has to get some credit for Foles's performances in the playoffs, he will be great for whoever they decide to hold onto as their QB.

God giveth...

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/962889307878051841

What is it with the 49ers and linebackers? If not for injury, random retirements, and off the field issues they could have Bowman, Borland, Willis, Aldon Smith, and Foster all playing at a high level. Possibility that they'll have none by next season.

Aside from this new issue Foster came across as a really nice guy but I'm guessing his apparent terrible off the field decision making is why he dropped as far as he did in the draft.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Seen a guy in a Titans beanie cap yesterday, i think that's the first time i've ever seen anyone else in Ireland wear anything Titans related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Seen a guy in a Titans beanie cap yesterday, i think that's the first time i've ever seen anyone else in Ireland wear anything Titans related

Were you looking in a mirror at the time by any chance!!!! ;)

hoping you're a titans fan and I've not made a fool of myself!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

First NFL item I owned was an Eddie George jersey! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Hope Foster can sort himself out.

Between things like passing over Foster for Davis and not bothering to interview McDaniels, Quinn is really looking like a shrewd GM for the Lions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Billy86 wrote: »

First NFL item I owned was an Eddie George jersey! :)
    he was one of my favourite players back in those days. legend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

My brother is a massive titans fan and regularly has some sort of gear on him. Wouldnt be surprised if it was him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

God giveth...

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/962889307878051841

What is it with the 49ers and linebackers? If not for injury, random retirements, and off the field issues they could have Bowman, Borland, Willis, Aldon Smith, and Foster all playing at a high level. Possibility that they'll have none by next season.

Aside from this new issue Foster came across as a really nice guy but I'm guessing his apparent terrible off the field decision making is why he dropped as far as he did in the draft.

Nice guy how? He's had a few arrests already plus issues at the combine plus others he's only been in the league a year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭JoshRosen

MrKingsley wrote: »
    My brother is a massive titans fan and regularly has some sort of gear on him. Wouldnt be surprised if it was him

Where does he get his clobber?

Nice guy how? He's had a few arrests already plus issues at the combine plus others he's only been in the league a year

Agree with the hospital thing at the combine but calling out the previous arrest is harsh. Being caught with a small amount of weed may mean you’re not bright but hardly stops you from being a nice guy.

I’ve taken it from everything he has done since he became a 49er. I’ve watched numerous interviews with him and he comes across friendly in all and his enthusiasm is infectious. From all accounts he is well liked in the locker room and also built up a good relationship with the local fanbase, consistently staying late to sign autographs and after the last home game of the season he went around the whole stadium interacting with every fan. I don’t know how else to judge a player that none of us know personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

JoshRosen wrote: »
    Where does he get his clobber?

His fiancée is from Tennessee so he goes over there. Or else orders it through nfl.com

Rueben Foster is possibly in big trouble, going off reddit.

Reported that he had a SIG Sauer 516 short barrelled rifle on him at time of arrest, which according to the comments, is a no go in Cali. If it's an unregistered SBR in California, there's potential jail time here.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/2/12/17004644/reuben-foster-arrest-assault-weapon-possession-sig-sauer-516-short-barreled-rifle

This is the type of gun: https://i.imgur.com/Kvn0rLr.jpg

Here's a comment explaining how/why he's in trouble
    So, he's in deep ****. Basically, since he was in AL when the latest version of CA's "assault weapons" ban was passed, it's essentially impossible that this was a legally owned weapon. He can't be grandfathered in as a previous owner, and you can't just buy a gun in a gun friendly state and bring it in to CA to get around the CA AWB. If it's his gun, he's in violation.

He doesn't meet any of the various exceptions to the CA AWB (basically cops, soliders, private security forces, and the film industry). If the cops ****ed up his 4th Amendment rights, he might escape the charge on those grounds.
    Possession of an assault weapon or rifle in California is a "wobbler" offense. Prosecutors have the choice to charge wobblers as either misdemeanors or felonies.

Hey look a law that magically changes on the whims of government bureaucrats. No threat to civil rights there at all.
    If convicted of misdemeanor possession of an assault weapon, you face:

up to one year in a county jail, and a maximum $1,000 fine.

If convicted of felony possession of an assault weapon, you face:

16 months, or two or three years in county jail, and a maximum $10,000 fine.

But then there's this
    Possession of an assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle during commission of another crime There are additional penalties if you possess an assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle in connection with another offense. In >such a case you face a one-year sentence -- in addition and consecutive to:

the penalty for the Penal Code 30600 PC conviction, and the penalty for the underlying offense, and any other sentencing enhancements.

So if the other charges stick, you're looking at serious prison time, if the DA decides they want to throw the book at him.

Forget Mr. Goddells Roulette Wheel of Justice, he's looking at no **** legal consequences.

Rueben Foster is possibly in big trouble, going off reddit.

Reported that he had a SIG Sauer 516 short barrelled rifle on him at time of arrest, which according to the comments, is a no go in Cali. If it's an unregistered SBR in California, there's potential jail time here.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/2/12/17004644/reuben-foster-arrest-assault-weapon-possession-sig-sauer-516-short-barreled-rifle

This is the type of gun: https://i.imgur.com/Kvn0rLr.jpg

Here's a comment explaining how/why he's in trouble

The whole thing is looking very messy so given his talent I can see why the 49ers haven't cut him. The rumour as of today is that it is a registered firearm in Alabama that he was stupid enough to bring with him to California. Would be pretty much legal in every other state aside from maybe NY but that's no excuse. It isn't actually on the specific banned list but it matches the characteristics of guns that are which would likely be enough if they tried to proceed.

Apparently the whole situation came about as he broke up with his long term girlfriend. He dumped all her stuff out into the front garden (as you do) and when she wouldn't leave he dragged her outside. She then told the cops he had multiple assault weapons in the house and when they searched they found one.

Probably won't help him that he was one of the 49ers that protested during the season either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Probably won't help him that he was one of the 49ers that protested during the season either.
    Being a bit of a scum bag is what won't help him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

He's rich, he's famous, it's America, it's a grey area in some respects with a sliver of plausible deniability (at least in terms of knowing the law, being out of state when the ban passed, it probably not applying in 48 other states etc etc).

He'll walk - big fecking fine and a good deal of community service, possible suspended sentence or a token 2-3 months over the off season. But that'll be about it. Had the gun accidentally gone off and he shot himself in the foot/leg/hand/etc that leeway would probably go out the window, but he didn't so it probably won't.

He's still looking like a massive bust in the making though and not for lack of talent, though 'at least' he was #31 overall and not #3 (which I had confused him for being, forgetting the 49ers traded back in with Seattle).

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    He's still looking like a massive bust in the making though and not for lack of talent, though 'at least' he was #31 overall and not #3 (which I had confused him for being, forgetting the 49ers traded back in with Seattle).

He was easily a top 10, if not top 5, linebacker last season. Such a pity he can’t seem to stay out of trouble.

Being a bit of a scum bag is what won't help him.

As of now, on the scale of NFL scumbagery he is far from the top, not quite to the heights of guys convicted of first degree murder(s). He is definitely trending in the wrong direction though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Gun laws are really tricky in certain states and living in MA and going through the process of being a gun owner is the same for the most part as it is in CA. I have no sympathy for him to be honest because if you want to own a gun in the US you have to know every state is different and some states don't see your owns states license as valid and some do. Then you have to content with the illegality of the gun you own. Some states it is legal to own the weapon you have and some it is not.

As Knex pointed out in that article. If you have an unlicensed unregistered gun and get involved in a crime you best lawyer up and lawyer up good because you are not breaching Federal laws never mind state laws.

Such a dumb move and he falls into the dumbass category. Paid millions and couldn't bothered to know the law and do stupid things and break laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

As of now, on the scale of NFL scumbagery he is far from the top, not quite to the heights of guys convicted of first degree murder(s). He is definitely trending in the wrong direction though.
    Which is why I said a bit of a scumbag.
    And signing a few autographs is nothing to praise him for.

So McCarron won his case and is now an unrestricted free agent.

I have no idea at all why he is being (or seemingly being) coveted.

It would be the most Browns thing ever to throw a ton of money at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Paully D wrote: »

Joe Thomas is campaigning on Twitter for Kirk Cousins to go to Cleveland. :pac:
    He makes a good point: If a QB is in situ then in theory (lol Browns aside) they can pick up some fantastic players in other positions.

The Browns have a ridiculous amount of cap room ($110m IIRC) so they could easily offer Cousins $30m a year.

• Advertisement

The Mike Glennon of the 2018 free agency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Joe Thomas is campaigning on Twitter for Kirk Cousins to go to Cleveland. :pac:
    He makes a good point: If a QB is in situ then in theory (lol Browns aside) they can pick up some fantastic players in other positions.

The Browns have a ridiculous amount of cap room ($110m IIRC) so they could easily offer Cousins $30m a year.

This intrigued me and had a look on over the cap, browns have 110m in space and that on top of a current top 51 spend of 116.5m cap liability. How in gods name did the get to that situation... and if they cut thomas as of right now, they'd free up another 13m in space...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

brinty wrote: »
    This intrigued me and had a look on over the cap, browns have 110m in space and that on top of a current top 51 spend of 116.5m cap liability. How in gods name did the get to that situation... and if they cut thomas as of right now, they'd free up another 13m in space...
    Rookie wage scale.

Had a look through their squad:
    9 vets on decent contracts
    3 on the minimum vet contracts
    39 on rookie deals

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

I think Green Bay could do a lot worse as a vet back-up to ARod.

ScummyMan wrote: »
    I think Green Bay could do a lot worse as a vet back-up to ARod.

He's been fighting to be a starter for years why would he go be backup in a bad situation. Even if he plays the team around him is only ok

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement